Theme: blue neon night

speechles

mikeraburn

On the Roku 3 I have to transcode every file to get the headphone jack to play thru the beats headset.

It seems it was the AC3 files mostly.

Not the files mentioned above, obviously.

Can you confirm or replicate that yourself?

mikeraburn

Change it to yes. This will allow you to stream those codecs h264/MPEG4 in 3840x2160. The 2D 4k version of big bunny in 60fps is encoded in h264 at level 5.2. Ive cranked support for h264 level up to 5.2 rather than 5.1 in the app.

This opens up the full capability of your roku4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

On auto 61fps it just sits at full retrieve and doesn't start.

Force directstream the same.

Force Transcode hangs up at about 1/4.

No lock up or reboot of Roku4 though.

Then that answers that question. So maybe the 5.2 level isnt supported. Ok. Useful info, let me drop it back down to 5.1 and push an update to roku. Thanks for confirm this is still unsupported on roku4. Uploaded new binary to roku. Update, and unfortunately I dont know why installing always wipes settings. So after everytime this app updates, you lose your settings and have to redo them. It is annoying I agree, and alologize for it. I just dont know why it does this...

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

On the Roku 3 I have to transcode every file to get the headphone jack to play thru the beats headset.

It seems it was the AC3 files mostly.

Not the files mentioned above, obviously.

Can you confirm or replicate that yourself?

I just tested this on my Roku 4 and it is the same BUT,

I can't force transcode on a h264/AC3 mkv. It just hangs at retrieving.

The private listening mode yeah. This is because the roku app detects audio when booting up and building the initial viewcontroller. When this changes it doesnt know you went from full surround ac3 to stereo private listening.

You have to exit the app completely. Then plug in the headphones into the private listening jack. Now start the app and it will properly detect stereo.

This can be addressed eventually. Having a function that can poll audio detection from the hardware just before playing each time. Then if you change something, you dont have to reboot the entire app. I will look into getting this feature in somehow.

mikeraburn

The private listening mode yeah. This is because the roku app detects audio when booting up and building the initial viewcontroller. When this changes it doesnt know you went from full surround ac3 to stereo private listening.

You have to exit the app completely. Then plug in the headphones into the private listening jack. Now start the app and it will properly detect stereo.

This can be addressed eventually. Having a function that can poll audio detection from the hardware just before playing each time. Then if you change something, you dont have to reboot the entire app. I will look into getting this feature in somehow.

Oh ya, forgot to mention I noticed that. Durrr

OK, new version.. fixes the private listening option, hopefully.

Made the audio detection happen every time you press play. This is done before any playmethods are attempted. This should make it accurate to the moment before you play. Also added a visible way to tell. If after this is done, you navigate to a detail screen you should see the audio method on the same "more..." line

NVzkIaA.jpg

You can see the "Dolby" shown above which means I am detected as such. This can show: Dolby, DTS, both Dolby and DTS, or Stereo. The detail screen cant auto update when you plug in the headphone at first. But if you press back, and go to the same video you were at it should show Stereo confirming it works on-the-fly now. :)

New Version:

* Added ability to make on-the-fly audio changes (private listening mode)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Is anyone else crashing back to roku main screen when trying to start ANY type of file?

FOR ME

It is working on Roku3 and NOT my Roku4.

When I select a file to begin it tosses me back to main roku menu.

I restarted the device and the server software.

Edited by mikeraburn

@@mikeraburn

I see an issue with how I was separating the audio in appmain. It may not be the one, since it should've crashed your roku4 off before you got to the homescreen. This wasn't setting global variables correctly that are assumed to be there. Now I am doing that and uploaded another version to try. Please try again when you can. The entire reason for doing this was to make it do "on-the-fly" audio changes but this shouldn't break it on the roku4.. Please let me know what you see..

I also fixed the "Cast & Crew" dilemma. Since moving it to a more prominent spot, it can create a situation where you have 7 buttons. This puts the "more..." button as the 7th button. This is not possible to see since you can only see 6. So "Cast & Crew" is shown on the main detail screen unless there is a trailer to show. The trailer has more importance. The "Cast & Crew" will always be inside the "more..." sub-menu when it isn't shown on the primary detail screen.

Edited by speechles

@@mikeraburn

Okay, finally tested the methods above and no audio still with media with surround sound when trying to use private listening. So what I have done is a pretty simple method to enable this.

7d4de5234417d64d5bd9bcb4d738236c.jpg

After you plug in your headphones, click the more option and choose the new "private" option shown above.

0d3a3f1f26590d5775d633e08c7e1101.jpg

Now instead of showing the supported audio, it says PRIVATE. This means auto-detect has disabled all surround sound. This will correctly transcode now when using private listening. When done, unplug headphones, and turn this back to normal auto-detect. Basically when it has PRIVATE this is forcing stereo sound.

This seems the best way to handle it, with the least amount of button presses. Enjoys. Ive tested this works on roku3. I am crossing my finger it works on your roku4.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I will test both for you this Monday evening.

In our household the roku3 is a MUST for private and not so much the roku4.

For the "cause", I will let you all know about both unless someone else beats me to it sooner!

You say.... "Now instead of showing the supported audio, it says PRIVATE. This means auto-detect has disabled all surround sound. This will correctly transcode now when using private listening. When done, unplug headphones, and turn this back to normal auto-detect. Basically when it has PRIVATE this is forcing stereo sound."

So it is expected that no matter the file you can expect transcoding instead of direct play?

The problem is private listening requires stereo. This makes that possible by forcing stereo for surround. Otherwise you get no sound thru your headphones. This doesnt mean every file transcodes. Just those with surround sound will while you are in PRIVATE mode. Then change it back to normal auto-detect and you can get surround sound back if it is detected. This makes it work on-the-fly now. No longer do you need to exit the app.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Is anyone else crashing back to roku main screen when trying to start ANY type of file?

FOR ME

It is working on Roku3 and NOT my Roku4.

When I select a file to begin it tosses me back to main roku menu.

I restarted the device and the server software.

This is still happening on my roku4.

There was one update when I fired it up.

The version I am showing is 2.19, still.

Do you mean with the headphones in the roku4 remote it crashes when playing? Or.. Even with headphomes not used it crashes on roku4?

Ive reverted the change to seperate the audio detection in appmain. This may have been crashing it since this was the only real change to that logic. Also fixed an issue where the framerate info for something may not have shown.

@@mikeraburn update your roku4 and lets try again

Okay.. So made a new private app to test this with. The other one is still broken on roku4. So lets not focus there.

Instead...

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeonOLD

This is the 2.18 version from january 3rd. Let me know if this works on your roku4. If this doesn't we can roll back further until one does. This makes it easier to test with you and not disrupt everybody else. We can solve this. This will let me see what changes Ive made that broke it when it moved forward.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Back in the saddle.

Can you get it back to where it was for the 4 minus the private listening crap?

Fps etc etc

Sometime, not tonight!

The point isnt to have two seperate apps though (one for roku4, and one for everything else), heh. It was to help you debug with me and not disrupt everyone else. I want to keep a single app that works on every roku. I seperated the old and new so I could see if the old worked on your roku4. Now I can see the differences between old and new. But I dont see any that would make the roku4 crash. It is something I am just not seeing at the moment. I will come back to it. I am using KDIFF3. This makes it easy but still I don't see the difference breaking it on the roku4.

What I want to do tomorrow is change that OLD VERSION to a brand new version. Then if your roku4 likes that version, and our roku3's also like it. Then we can make the OLD VERSION become the new version and update the original link. So that using the OLD VERSION will be helping me beta test and work out issues we can apply to the original version. Yeah, the more I repeat that it sounds like a plan. So see you tomorrow and thanks for all the help so far with your roku4 testing.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I understand the not wanting 2 different apps.

I seeems it was good for both until the private listening was wonkyed with.

Maybe the 4 handles it differently than the 3.

mikeraburn

As long as the 2.18 link is in the thread you can send me links to test versions all you want, in PM or via emails.

That way they don't get released into the wild.

PMs may be better for discussing this instead of cluttering up the forum.

Just a few thoughts

Edited by mikeraburn

It keeps everyone aware that development is active. Emby is active. etc. People who don't wish to see can easily scroll past or not click into the thread when they see it. Don't think of it like clutter. Think of it more like "messages in a bottle" where you send the bottle over then i fill it send it back, etc etc.

In this way others with a roku4 can use that OLD VERSION link and they won't feel alienated and unspecial in any way. Like that I just shared it with you, or jim, or kelly, or you know what I mean. They feel left out. :)

There is no favoritism. We are all the same and everybody deserves the same attention. Its just that you have a roku4, you are active, and you have helped immensely with your device. Knowing all this, please don't ever feel for a moment that you shouldnt post something. Never think your words don't matter. You are helping alot. I appreciate your time you use to test things and understand you have a family and all.

So yes, tomorrow we will start to discuss how this goes. Just leave a new post to this thread telling me when you are ready to start this up again. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

lulzyatlas

Great work, the Roku app has come a long way. Almost makes me want one. Last time I had one of these in my setup it didn't even support posters if I remember correctly (might've just been the model). Interface looks far more complete now, with some powerful options. Nice expansion of the platform it was built on.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

@@lulzyatlas thanks for compliments. This will be the the last hurrah for legacy devices and stock roku screens. Right before all effort and time is spent in scene graph and fancy eye candy.

@@mikeraburn Ive updated the main app, not the "older version" with some changes. Hopefully this works on your roku4 and roku3. If not we can start to play around with test versions. Let me know when you are ready to test. :)

Edited by speechles