Theme: blue neon night

speechles

Waldonnis

That might explain all the ffmpeg errors I see using eac3. ffmpeg complains about using an outdated version that doesnt support sub-streams. That error floods the transcode log and makes transcoding eac3 to ac3 excruciatingly slow. The error message suggests getting a current ffmpeg from github directly.

"Dependent substream decoding is not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from Git."

That should be the message.  I did a fresh build of ffmpeg two days ago, so the message is a bit silly.  In reality, eac3 8-channel support was never finished or accepted for ffmpeg, so it may as well say, "Abandon all hope..."  :lol:  I don't think they have any plans on adding it at this point, so it is what it is.  At least the codec itself is detected properly, even if the channel count isn't.  Realistically, it shouldn't really matter since eac3 supports up to 8 channels, so any player implementation likely recognises it as a possibility (even if the downmixing is wacky)...and the server will just see it as 5.1 anyway (so it'll easily pass a channel count compatibility check for direct streaming providing the audio sink does).

Transcoding, though...I shudder to think how ffmpeg may be butchering any conversion of an 8 channel eac3 stream since the decoder doesn't seem up to the task.  If anyone has any real-world files with 8 channel eac3 tracks, I'd love to know.  It just seems like a codec that never saw much use anyway, and we may be spinning our proverbial wheels about it.  Update: Big d'oh on me.  It looks like it's just extracting the 5.1 core and working with that.  If anyone wants to preserve all 8 channels, they'd have to use something else to manually convert it to FLAC/TrueHD/DTS-HD/whatever, but at least transcoding won't produce a screwed up downmix.

Edited by Waldonnis

"The DTS detection was faulty before. It was causing DTS to fail(require transcoding) on never firmware. This is now corrected. Also went through the entire capabilities and added full support for every audio codec and limited them by the devices audio channel support. "

I am not sure if this has anything to do with what you are saying above.

The below was started with autodetec and it transcoded to ACC

is the codec DCA a reason???

Convert DTS to AC3 is set to NO in settings

Audio

Languageeng

CodecDCA

ProfileDTS

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate1536 kbps

Sample rate48000 Hz

Bit depth24 bit

DefaultYes

TitleEng DTS 5.1 Default

Audio

Languageeng

CodecDCA

ProfileDTS

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate1536 kbps

Sample rate48000 Hz

Bit depth24 bit

DefaultYes

TitleEng DTS 5.1 Default

Next to the "more ..." button what does yours show at the end?

Stereo, DD, or DTS? Its possible as well to see "DD DTS" meaning your roku detects both. The next version of the app will add DD+ to show here. When you see it assume you have both DD and DD+

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mikeraburn

Stereo, DD, or DTS? Its possible as well to see "DD DTS" meaning your roku detects both. The next version of the app will add DD+ to show here. When you see it assume you have both DD and DD+

I believe it is condensed and I cannot read it all.

I'll double check tonight.

I believe it is condensed and I cannot read it all.

I'll double check tonight.

Haw... You are right. If you make the playmethod "auto" there should be enough room to see it... lol

It must be your roku4 isnt detecting a DTS pass-through capable device on the hdmi or spdif. If it does it would correctly support it. My TV doesnt support DTS or DD+, only DD.

if it makes a difference, I am now using the new

Roku Ultra

It might. The ultra I believe has the DTS-HD MA will not pass the core DTS 5.1 track when direct playing issue. It should correctly pass DTS alone in 5.1 as DCA. The firmware of the new devices is misreading the channel count from the DTS (seeing 8 channels,7.1), rather than the DCA (6 channels,5.1). Roku is aware of this issue.

Other than that, the other issues reported on the use of * while video plays. As long as video isnt playing, the app can control the context menus. Once video plays the app has no control over *. This difference in behavior may be because the rokuTV platforms firmware is used on the new roku devices. This allows TV manufacturers to control * when video plays too. Roku also put the search button where OK was on the remote. So there are subtle differences you will notice when comparing to your roku4.

mikeraburn

The new OK button location is still a learning curve for me.

The new location is where it should have been from the beginning.

It has a "night" audio mode selection that I really like.

It picks up dialogue and squelches booms and bangs.

I'm pretty boring so there is not so much action media in my arsenal. 

I only got it Saturday.

The Roku 4 will move to another room eventually.

mikeraburn

It seems that of the 10ea x265 files I just tested they all transcode using auto detect.

Grainy video and do have audio.

When I force direct stream they play as they should.

Roku Ultra

It seems that of the 10ea x265 files I just tested they all transcode using auto detect.

Grainy video and do have audio.

When I force direct stream they play as they should.

Roku Ultra

DOH!!!1!!shift!eleven

That was an honest mistake there. I see what I forgot to do. This will be fixed up quickly I will have a new release within 30 minutes. Apologies yo.

New Version: v3.88
* add DD+ to show after "More ..." button
* fix hevc/vp9 detection (silly mistake, thx mikeraburn)

Added the DD+ to show along with the Stereo, DD, and DTS it could already show. Also fixed the hevc/vp9 to work with auto-detection again. I made a stupid mistake that was easily corrected.

updated all links in first post. Enjoy.

Not quite 30 minutes, was 15.. I tried to make it fastest update ever!! ;)

• Like 2

mikeraburn

x265 playback

I was about ready to yank out the Ultra and go back with the 4!

But a couple of the files I tested I just watched on Sunday with no issues.

That's when I decided to post and inform.

The Ultra itself did an update last night for some reason.

Went up to a newer version.

Waldonnis

I tried the 8 channel eac3 file today...no good.  The audio stream is passed to the receiver, but not correctly, and the receiver constantly switches back and forth between no signal and eac3 (result is no sound output, but it does show that it's a 7.1 layout).  The black video stream I added is also corrupted during playback in Blue Neon, so something weird is going on there.  To double-check, I added the test case to my custom media testing channel and it did the same thing audio-wise but without the video corruption (my test channel uses the new Video node for playback, so that may explain the video difference).  Audio-wise, it could be the test file, my receiver, Roku's firmware, or maybe even the Roku hardware that can't handle the 8 channel layout.  On the plus side, at least it's trying to pass it through rather than just extracting the 5.1 core (for what that's worth).

I can play the file just fine on my PC, so I'm leaning towards it being a Roku or receiver problem.  Given that 8 channel eac3 is seemingly a rarity to begin with, I'm not sure if it's worth trying other troubleshooting steps (bypassing Emby entirely by using a web server, swapping HDMI cables, etc).  If someone runs across it, though, I suppose I could put more time into it.  I know the Roku and receiver are fine with eac3 5.1, since a lot of streaming and broadcast sources use it for surround encoding, so it's probably just the additional channels in the layout that causes issues.

New Version: v3.89

* Clean up audio detection and containers

* add direct audio player support m4a/mp4

* add container/codec display to debug logs.

Cleaned up the audio detection logic in capabilities. This is now super accurate for any device. Big thanks to @@chattojimnow for discovering the audio detection bug in the app.

In fixing this I've also enabled m4a/mp4 to direct play in the audio player. This means iTunes songs can play directly now, as long as they contain no DRM. No transcoding to mp3 required anymore. w00t!!

0566242c3744774b504365e8a581b7dd.jpg

You can now see in the debug logs exactly what the app has detected your device capable of. No more guessing, this queries the device for everything now.

Updated all links in first post, Enjoy and make sure to update..

@@Waldonnis Check out the sexy capabilities now.. so sexy.. haw

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mediacowboy

Just wantes to thank you for your time and labor on this wonderful app.

I had to replace the kids Roku stick today as it got pushed up against the wall and bent the hdmi connection. I bought a Roku express and hooked it up and no problems.

mikeraburn

I finally joined the hearing functional today.

Got me a Vizio SB3851 DO Smart cast 38".

My only question is, why did I wait so darn long?

So far so good.

I'm pretty sure I have the roku settings correct.

I need to further research what use the Ethernet connection is for. My TV remote works the volume and the Vizio remote is fine for swapping the occasional input for my OTA antenna.

• Like 1

I finally joined the hearing functional today.

Got me a Vizio SB3851 DO Smart cast 38".

My only question is, why did I wait so darn long?

So far so good.

I'm pretty sure I have the roku settings correct.

I need to further research what use the Ethernet connection is for. My TV remote works the volume and the Vizio remote is fine for swapping the occasional input for my OTA antenna.

Does the app work correctly with auto-detection to support it? You may have to go into roku settings, the hdmi audio, choose auto again even if it is already (this is what forces re-detection). It wont guess again any other time than you manually going there and doing this. So make sure you do this after chaging things.

Just wantes to thank you for your time and labor on this wonderful app.

I had to replace the kids Roku stick today as it got pushed up against the wall and bent the hdmi connection. I bought a Roku express and hooked it up and no problems.

Did you use the "send text" feature to send them clever messages? Like "dinner is ready!" or "time for bed in 20 minutes"? You can stack them too, send three really fast "TIME" then "FOR" then "BED!!!!". It will stack the dialogs up, so they see just "TIME", close that it says, "FOR", close that finally "BED!!!!". It works really well at annoying kids during playback who you know are watching, up past their bedtimes, when they should be sleeping.. :D

mikeraburn

I did what you recommended

Hdmi /spdif is set to auto ( I am only using HDMI now by choice)

Audio mode is set to Auto Stereo

Only the EAC3 is the one I have to set to force direct play otherwise it transcodes.

No biggie here. 

mediacowboy

Did you use the "send text" feature to send them clever messages? Like "dinner is ready!" or "time for bed in 20 minutes"? You can stack them too, send three really fast "TIME" then "FOR" then "BED!!!!". It will stack the dialogs up, so they see just "TIME", close that it says, "FOR", close that finally "BED!!!!". It works really well at annoying kids during playback who you know are watching, up past their bedtimes, when they should be sleeping.. :D

I have not tried it as of yet as I normally set a sleep timer. Maybe as they get older.

Guest Grace1313

Looking for a little help.  I just purchased Roku Ultra so I could direct play more content.  I'm curious if anyone can tell me why this file still transcodes and if I need to change any settings in the app.  Do I need to up FPS to 60?

Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 1.06 GiB
Duration                                 : 42 min 31 s
Overall bit rate                         : 3 559 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-10-27 16:35:31
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v9.4.2 ('So High') 64bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 3 171 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.057
Stream size                              : 964 MiB (89%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2721 72d53ab
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=599 / keyint_min=59 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : 9 ms
Stream size                              : 117 MiB (11%)

Looking for a little help.  I just purchased Roku Ultra so I could direct play more content.  I'm curious if anyone can tell me why this file still transcodes and if I need to change any settings in the app.  Do I need to up FPS to 60?

Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 1.06 GiB
Overall bit rate                         : 3 559 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-10-27 16:35:31
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v9.4.2 ('So High') 64bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 3 171 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.057
Stream size                              : 964 MiB (89%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2721 72d53ab
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=599 / keyint_min=59 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English
Color range                              : Limited
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : 9 ms
Stream size                              : 117 MiB (11%)

If you "force directstream" it plays?

The audio stream will cause a transcode if your roku doesn't detect ac3 support. The video framerate is high. By default the app starts at a maximum framerate of 30. You need to change the "max framerate" setting to 61. Also make sure you raise the "max video quality" from the default of 3.2Mb/s. Also set the "maximum refframes" to 16.

Edited by speechles

Guest Grace1313

yes, directstream plays fine.  

i will make those changes and see if that helps.  

is there any way around the audio issue? i thought ultra played ac3.

thanks for the help

yes, directstream plays fine.

i will make those changes and see if that helps.

is there any way around the audio issue? i thought ultra played ac3.

thanks for the help

None of the roku devices play ac3/eac3 or DTS. These are not decoded by the roku. These codecs pass-through to a capable device the roku is connected to, like a TV or AVR. If the TV or AVR doesnt support them it will play the video with no sound.

In roku settings... settings > audio > hdmi and enable auto detect. Then settings > audio > audio mode and see what hdmi auto-detect has selected for your device. If this is wrong, don't use auto-detect on the hdmi setting. Choose the audio type instead.

mikeraburn

"None of the roku devices play ac3/eac3 or DTS. These are not decoded by the roku. These codecs pass-through to a capable device the roku is connected to, like a TV or AVR. If the TV or AVR doesnt support them it will play the video with no sound."

I have given up trying to understand this!

For me

AC3 will auto-detect and directstream.

EAC3 will NOT auto-detect and directstream. I need to force directstream.

So, it still just plain works for me, as usual.

Guest Grace1313

None of the roku devices play ac3/eac3 or DTS. These are not decoded by the roku. These codecs pass-through to a capable device the roku is connected to, like a TV or AVR. If the TV or AVR doesnt support them it will play the video with no sound.

In roku settings... settings > audio > hdmi and enable auto detect. Then settings > audio > audio mode and see what hdmi auto-detect has selected for your device. If this is wrong, don't use auto-detect on the hdmi setting. Choose the audio type instead.