Theme: blue neon night

speechles

Hey Speechles

Any chance I could ask for an added feature?

I love the fact that I can hit play on a Roku tile for a tv show and select to play "in Order from x to n". Currently I used this most when going to sleep at night so that if I am still awake I do not need to select another episode for it to continue playing. However, when I go to find the last episode I remember watching it has played most if not all of that season (due to selecting play x through n episodes).

Is there any chance a Play Next 3 or Play Next 5 option could be added? That would be much more appealing to me and I think others would find it useful as well.

Either way thanks for the great app! I use it daily!

Sure, I will have to change how text is displayed and cut some of it out to allow an extra button. This is indeed possible. :)

In the meantime, you can use the "interaction timeout" in preferences. This keeps track of the seconds since last key pressed on the remote. Once this gets above the amount you selected an "Are you still watching?" dialog will appear. This has a countdown from 60 to 0. A single button with "yes, I am still here!" if clicked restarts the process. If the countdown reaches 0 the video player closes. I set this to 1 hour when I fall asleep watching episodes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Scott750

My wife says when she is watching movies in a playlist either started thru the roku app or remote controlled with the webclient, all movies stops after the first or second movie played. She says that some message pops up saying it something about unable to play a movie. She watches vies when she's sleeping and wakes up when it stops. So I know for a fact all of the movies will play on my HTPC using MPC-HC. Is there a way to find the logs to see exactly why it's stopping? I've got the settings set to disable integration required after a time period.

@@Scott750

Just FYI: If you change the play method to any method with force, then continuous play will skip items that cannot be forced to your play method. It wont stop playing though, it will just skip those items.

If you choose "auto detection" and use continuous play it will let the system choose a play method that fits the item. This will always play items correctly and never skip any.

If you play a single item, alone.. this will allow video fallback. It will use your play method, and if this fails, it will use force transcoding and attempt to play the item. Fallback only occurs on single items at the moment by design.

Does the error message start with "We're unable to play this video" ? Is the roku wired or wireless? You can get logs from the roku if "enable debug" is enabled and you are still in the app after this happens. Otherwise you will have to rely on server logs and know what time the problem occured so you can backtrace it.

Scott750

@@Scott750

Just FYI: If you change the play method to any method with force, then continuous play will skip items that cannot be forced to your play method. It wont stop playing though, it will just skip those items.

If you choose "auto detection" and use continuous play it will let the system choose a play method that fits the item. This will always play items correctly and never skip any.

If you play a single item, alone.. this will allow video fallback. It will use your play method, and if this fails, it will use force transcoding and attempt to play the item. Fallback only occurs on single items at the moment by design.

Does the error message start with "We're unable to play this video" ? Is the roku wired or wireless? You can get logs from the roku if "enable debug" is enabled and you are still in the app after this happens. Otherwise you will have to rely on server logs and know what time the problem occured so you can backtrace it.

My roku is wired. Finally got a screen shot of the error message.

post-1908-147862034082_thumb.jpeg

I went back and tried playing that movie and it played without issue. I enable debug before I started any movies last night. We're do I find the logs in the roku?

@@Scott750

It is skipping them because it is part of a list of videos. Ive reworked the logic for fallback. It will now fallback to transcoding always no matter if the video is part of a list, or a single item. If it is a list of videos, this will show the skipping message only if the play method playback AND force transcoding fails. If it is a single video, it will throw the normal playback error dialog. This is how I shouldve designed it to begin with.

Ive also addes the button to continuous play for "play from <index> to <index+2>" which will only play 3 videos from the row. This should then give you what you want and increase WAF at the same time.

Stay tuned. I will have a new version shortly.

To get the roku logs, enable debug in preferences, once this is enabled the app will store logs in tmp:// as a file. It will constantly write this file as the app is in motion. Enabling debug also creates a "debug logs" button on the options row. When in the debug logs screen, use fastfwd and rewind to move quickly through the logs. When done either scroll all the way to the bottom or press OK on the remote and it will move the pointer to the buttons below.

Edited by speechles

New Version: v3.94

* fix continuous play fallback

* add custom in-order button

* add preference for custom in-order button

This makes continuous play even better now. There is complete fallback forced transcoding for both video lists and individual videos. This means, you can safely choose "force directstream" always. The app will then try to play it that way first if it fails, it will force transcoding. There is no longer a need to choose "auto-detection" to get videos to play in a list.

Also added a custom in-order playback button. This has a preference you can change if you don't like the default 3 episodes it chooses. This should make it so anyone can use these features in their own way.

If your custom number is 3 and you start on video 14, but there are only 15 videos, the custom in-order button wont appear. It will only appear when there are enough videos to fill the custom number. Hopefully everybody understands that part.

1f39b1c7b873c46b9e1da66b7d43a381.jpg

3f6e37bed9792b1a588b72df6b247e05.jpg

WAF+2 :)

Updated all links in first post, Enjoy. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

@speechless,

Thanks for the explanation.

Any ETA for live playlist on Roku yet?

I havent started that part yet. You mean the in-app audio/video queues for adding/removing individual items into/from? There is playlist support, and in-app queues for both audio/video, but yeah, no way to edit these live on the roku yet. You can load a video queue as a playlist or a continuous play row. You can load an audio queue as a playlist or from an artist/album/genre/etc. But there is no way to add nor remove items from either of them.

I did find a small bug causing the video player to retry indefintely. This would retry videos that wouldnt play, over and over, forever. With the firmware bug this would affect liveTV streaming. This is now corrected, and your retry fallback count is respected. After the count fails, if the item is part of a video queue it is skipped and a dialog briefly onscreen saying so. If it is a single item it will pop the playback error dialog. This makes for a smarter video player that can adjust on the fly.

I updated the app, but the change was so small its still the same version number. All links are updated in first post.

Edited by speechles

techworld

Hey,

1. How come I don't see "add to playlist" option in Roku while I'm in the Video (personal videos) list?

2. Is there a way that I can control another user's playlist?

I'd to log in that user in order to modify the playlist (phone/Roku).

Thanks.

Edited by techworld

roberto188

Could you add a built in Wake ON lan? An option to simply put in an IP address, mac address and port so that when the app opens it's sends a WOL packet? This would be awesome to have to wake up our media servers. Thanks!

• Like 1

tpneumat

Hello.  

There is currently a problem with Live TV feeds on Emby and Blue Neon Night when using the latest Roku firmware of 7.5.  The thread and the solution for it is here:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/41101-live-tv-not-working-on-roku/?p=386293

Any chance you could add this fix to the official channel?  I've got it working as dev hack installed on my Rokus.

While I'm at it, I have another request.  In the channel view, the popover that shows channel info in a bubble blocks the other channels.  Can it be moved down so that it doesn't cover channels?

Thanks!

Hello.  

There is currently a problem with Live TV feeds on Emby and Blue Neon Night when using the latest Roku firmware of 7.5.  The thread and the solution for it is here:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/41101-live-tv-not-working-on-roku/?p=386293

Any chance you could add this fix to the official channel?  I've got it working as dev hack installed on my Rokus.

While I'm at it, I have another request.  In the channel view, the popover that shows channel info in a bubble blocks the other channels.  Can it be moved down so that it doesn't cover channels?

Thanks!

Please add tpneumat's fix to the official channel, so that we can get Live TV working again, due to the failure with Firmware 7.5.

Swynol

anyone know why that when i transcode a file to the roku at at the end it jumps back into the middle of the file. 

i have a custom intro that is 12 seconds long, after it finishes it jumps back to around 6 seconds and plays from there. it does this 3 times before starting the main video.

Happy2Play

anyone know why that when i transcode a file to the roku at at the end it jumps back into the middle of the file. 

i have a custom intro that is 12 seconds long, after it finishes it jumps back to around 6 seconds and plays from there. it does this 3 times before starting the main video.

Sure, there a couple topics on it.  It is do the hls transcoding.  Speechles explains it in this topic.

I am away from home at the moment and not in possession of my developer ID. This means I cant update the app with the timeout fix for hls streaming. I should be back friday at the latest. At this time I can update the app officially and include this fix. Until then, thanks to those who provided interim zips for users to sideload.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Well, I'm back.. and now have a roku ultra and a roku 2XS along with my roku3 to play with.

Question though, is there still a need to add the timeout to the videoplayer? Did roku firmware correct this and I dont need to fix it now?

Also, the roku ultra remote makes it too easy to hit search when you meant to press the OK button. Then back out of search exits the damn app. The only real annoying part so far.. haw

If someone can clue me in if the timeout fix is still needed it would be awesome. Thanks. :^)

• Like 1

mediacowboy

@@speechles, I believe the next update is suppose to fix it but I don't know when that will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@@speechles, I believe the next update is suppose to fix it but I don't know when that will happen.

Okay so in the meantime I will create a new preference.

Roku timeout:

Use 45 seconds [default]

Use firmware

This top option will default to using the provided 45 second timeout wait over-riding whatever the firmware chose.

The bottom option will use the roku firmware provided time out. Users can select this once roku firmware fixes the issue.

I will get to work on this shortly. ;)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

The ULTRA search is a pain at 1st but you get used to it quickly.

I've trained myself to not move the old fat thumb off of the directional pad.

Old thumb, new trick.

mediacowboy

@@speechles, if you haven't started the update app. I wouldn't bother. On my Roku 3 I was able to get the latest firmware that fixes live TV.

@@speechles, if you haven't started the update app. I wouldn't bother. On my Roku 3 I was able to get the latest firmware that fixes live TV.

Nice. Its always better when work-arounds arent required.

mediacowboy

Would it be possible when doing a sign out that it remembers the server?

I am running a dev server for me to test on and a stable server for the family. When I click sign out it takes me back to the select server.