Theme: blue neon night

speechles

New Version: v3.82

* fix logging causing app crash during video play

* add preference for mpeg2

* add logic to capabilities to work with mpeg2 preference

* updated app to work correctly with server 3.0.7200.0

Additional logging was corrected which crashed the roku if the video format wasn't playable and the video player closed prematurely. This also cleans up the debug when a video spawns and gives full debug in app. So if a video doesn't play you can see the in-app debug logs for more information. Remember to make sure to enable debug in preferences before the debug logs button will appear on your roku homescreen.

23e7eb4558505f949387650eb2535cd5.jpg

The rokuTV apparently can direct play MPEG2 streams. This has a new preference in options to control. Enable this and MPEG2 will direct play if the audio codec is also supported. This makes liveTV playback direct play as well. So rokuTV does seem to have an advantage when it comes to that.

a78fc9e6e5b6e01bcac10228f509233d.jpg

The item counts below some items, such as genre, studios and musicartists was not showing. This was because of changes in server 3.0.7200.0. The app now correctly displays the item counts regardless of server version again... YAY!!

Updated all links in first post. Time to update your rokus. Enjoy ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

speechles firstly thanks for the reply :)

I lost my internet connection last night for a few hours and during this time I couldn't run your Blue Neon Night Emby app :(

The 'vanilla' Emby for Roku app launched without any problems but Neon just sits there with a "Requesting" status and eventually states it can't find a server.

Is this normal as I couldn't understand why it should be any different from the standard Emby for Roku app that doesn't require a permanent internet connection?

I even hard reset my Roku device and it still did the same so just wanted to ask etc.

Cheers

@@Gaz it depends on how you originally connected to the app. If you use emby connect and pin to login this creates the problem. You need to skip that and manually enter your server ip/port. Because the app defaults to "remember me" this presents the scenario. When an error dialog pops up, dont click the ok button that will attempt a retry. Instead press the back button on the remote when these dialogs appear. You should wind up on a screen with just search, preferences, select server and sign out. When on this screen, choose select server and you should be good to go to skip and enter one manually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

New Version: v3.82

* fix logging causing app crash during video play

* add preference for mpeg2

* add logic to capabilities to work with mpeg2 preference

* updated app to work correctly with server 3.0.7200.0

Additional logging was corrected which crashed the roku if the video format wasn't playable and the video player closed prematurely. This also cleans up the debug when a video spawns and gives full debug in app. So if a video doesn't play you can see the in-app debug logs for more information. Remember to make sure to enable debug in preferences before the debug logs button will appear on your roku homescreen.

23e7eb4558505f949387650eb2535cd5.jpg

The rokuTV apparently can direct play MPEG2 streams. This has a new preference in options to control. Enable this and MPEG2 will direct play if the audio codec is also supported. This makes liveTV playback direct play as well. So rokuTV does seem to have an advantage when it comes to that.

a78fc9e6e5b6e01bcac10228f509233d.jpg

The item counts below some items, such as genre, studios and musicartists was not showing. This was because of changes in server 3.0.7200.0. The app now correctly displays the item counts regardless of server version again... YAY!!

Updated all links in first post. Time to update your rokus. Enjoy ;)

It's amazing how quickly you responded and updated this. Thanks. 

Unfortunately, I think there may have been a mix up.

When starting to playback a DVD ripped with makemkv (mkv/mpeg2/ac3), if I allow it to auto select it will transcode according to the on screen display with ok.

If I select 'direct play', I now get an error message.

If I select 'direct stream', they content plays.

While 'direct streaming' the DVD/mkv content, if I push the ok button on the remote, the on screen display indicates the source is 'direct play'.

I tested the new preference above to 'Auto Direct-Play MPEG2: Yes', but this resulted in the exact same behavior. Perhaps the preference is actually attempting to 'direct play' but is not displaying the error message?

If logs would assist, I can get some later this evening.

It's amazing how quickly you responded and updated this. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I think there may have been a mix up.

When starting to playback a DVD ripped with makemkv (mkv/mpeg2/ac3), if I allow it to auto select it will transcode according to the on screen display with ok.

If I select 'direct play', I now get an error message.

If I select 'direct stream', they content plays.

While 'direct streaming' the DVD/mkv content, if I push the ok button on the remote, the on screen display indicates the source is 'direct play'.

I tested the new preference above to 'Auto Direct-Play MPEG2: Yes', but this resulted in the exact same behavior. Perhaps the preference is actually attempting to 'direct play' but is not displaying the error message?

If logs would assist, I can get some later this evening.

Did you set the roku as surround sound? In the roku settings under audio > hdmi settings. Did auto-detect show surround? The app respects the value for audio the device reports to it. It can report dts, dd+, dd, or stereo. This is the same you see next to the "more ..." option on an items detail screen when using the app. If this is DD then something else is odd.

I added support for mpeg2 in the mkv/mp4 containers to directly play with auto-detection if you enable the preference for mpeg2. The roku presently, cannot access network paths, hence directplay native mode without emby creating a path cannot work. Directstream is the unmodified file, accessed through a url emby creates known as an http path, rather than a network path. The functions are identical.

Directplay as it is now, can never work, but was left in the app in case it ever is added. If it is, the app will immediately support it. Notice I use the terms directplay and directstream as one word. Directplay does not mean direct play. Direct play means it is playing directly, be it via directplay or directstream. I know it is confusing. Perhaps I should rename these "direct network path" for directplay and "direct http path" for directstream? I may. The new roku devices may support local direct network paths, who knows, then again they may not.

For mpeg2 yes, I will look back over the code to make sure Ive done this correctly. Maybe I made a mistake there but I am quite sure I havent. If you could paste a couple transcode logs from the server for those files it would help me see through your servers eyes and see a root cause. Thanks :)

Also in the blue neon app for full surround sound set these options:

Convert DTS to AC3: leave as no if says your device will handle this correctly, otherwise make this yes

Convert MP2/MP3 to AAC: No

Unknown Audio: use AC3

Default Audio: use AC3

Convert AAC to MP3: no

Force surround: yes

.. and make sure max framerate is 61 fps.

Edited by speechles

I ensured all of my settings match the ones you provided. In addition, I made sure to turn off subtitles in the roku '*' interface. BTW the '*' does respond while playing back music in blue neon, but I only get roku options, while playing movies with blue neon. Should I get Emby options similar to music?

After the above, I again tried to play back two different movies. The selection screen for both show ' More... (Auto @ 61fps) DD'

They both display '29.970/480P/MPEG2VIDEO/AC3 (mkv)'

Both transcode logs are attached. When I 'Play' them they both transcode.

The 'OK' button for the Abbott and Costello movie is a one liner that says Trancoded Dolby Digital.

The 'OK' button for Thirteen Days is a two liner that shows Trancoded (720x480 5.1ch->5.1ch); 2nd line video:mpeg2->h264 audio:ac3->ac3

If I choose More... ->Force DirectStream->Play, both of them play without transcoding. Hopefully, you'll see something in the logs I can't.

ffmpeg-transcode-0eadec53-e9c3-4d62-a8d6-54a42b3fbb48.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-0efea5f8-f871-451f-b056-06037aef3bac.txt

Edited by GB Utah

dredd1963

Afternoon speechles.

I've been trying to update blue neon moon to v3.82 from v3.81 on my black nowtv box. My box keeps telling me that v3.82 is v.3.81. also tried by deleting the app off the box, doing a clean install with v3.82, but it is showing as v3.81.

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

That was my bad. Apologies..

The v3.82 is updated now on the website. You may have to clear the cache or restart the browser. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thats ok mate! don't worry

Thanks ☺

You can open the .zip and locate the manifest file. This is merely a text file the roku uses to set the environment for the app. The version string, along with major, minor, build are in this file. In the future, you can tell if it was my mistake or yours this way.

Edited by speechles

GB Utah

Here's another odd transcode situation with the TCL RokuTV.

I have an mp4 container consisting of the following: 480P/H264/AAC.

This is a straight DVD rip from makemkv, then using handbrake preset high to transcode the mpeg2 video to h264. I also transcode a default AAC track from the AC3, then place the AC3 as the second audio stream. This is done for portability, size reduction and cross platform use. On most players, I can play the item, select the AC3 audio if I choose or not, no problem.

With Blue Neon, I figured it would DirectStream, no problem. Which it does as is. While playing, I attempted to change audio streams to select the AC3 audio. That option was not available in the TV '*' interface. At that point, I selected the AC3 audio in Blue Neon and played the item. This resulted in it being transcoded. Log attached. I have no idea why this happened.

The log shows:

Stream mapping:

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:2 -> #0:1 (ac3 (native) -> ac3 (native))

It also shows:
    Stream #0:3(eng): Subtitle: mov_text (text / 0x74786574)
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : SubtitleHandler

I'm not certain what the mov_text is all about. I believe it's the chapters? There are no subtitles present in this file, confirmed through the Emby web interface, mediainfo, and the top of the transcode log.

If I first select the AC3 audio, then tell Blue Neon to Force DirectStream the item does not transcode.

I believe this may be related to the Auto Direct Play MPEG2 setting, but I still haven't gotten that to work for me either.

Do regular Roku boxes allow changing the audio stream from Emby during playback?
Can the above file be detected so that it will not transcode? The log shows it remuxing, but I don't understand why. Just to put it into HLS container? MKV shouldn't require remux, correct?

ffmpeg-remux-4bec2f3c-5a4b-40ba-ab77-7d1af5af1720.txt

6fdda2432d829fd040ac48c8110f626e.jpg

Yes, a plain roku does allow * during the video player to change audio tracks and subtitles. If you choose from the "audio & subtitles ..." button this will cause transcoding. I am not sure why the rokuTV doesnt allow both TV and roku settings combined. This is odd.

The reason that file transcoded is indeed the subtitles. Those mov_text subtitles must be default or forced. If you use the audio & subtitles button choose subtitles and select none. This should make emby aware of your new choice for that file. Emby will remember which audio tracks and subtitles you choose. Using "force directstream" and then if you could you would use * and choose the subtitle while the video player plays. For some reason on rokuTV the TV manufacturer captures the keypress and the normal caption/audio selection isnt appearing. This is again, odd and unfortunate.

You may need to call the manufacturer (1-800-*) of your TV model and ask them to identify and fix this issue. See what they say.

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...

* add "Go To Artist" button to music album detail screen

* add "Go To Similar Titles" button to trailers detail screen

* add trailers row to studio and genre of movie library

* add "device info" button to options row

* add "device info" screen to display device interfaces

Adding the artist to the music album detail screen as a "Go To" button kills two birds with one stone. It shows the artist of the album on-screen at the same time as allowing jumping to that artist.

The trailers detail screen wasn't allowing use of the "go to similar titles" button. So I've added trailers as a supported type for similar titles. Also added a trailers row when navigating to the studio or genre view of your movie library. This makes trailers more easily discoverable and useful.

Also added a "device info" screen. This lets you peek inside the roku and see the device interface queries. With the information from this screen we can troubleshoot issues better hopefully. This should make the migration to OS7 easier to handle.

Updated all links in first post. Enjoys ;)

NOTE: Roku updated their developer portal and overhauled it massively. The cool part is it now includes fancy metrics, brighscript crash logs, and other cool stuff. I can tell how many people use the app per day, how long they do, etc etc.. I can see what errors people get, how many people get the same error, and such.. It doesn't give a backtrace so getting users to provide debug logs is still required to fix most of them. But it gives me an idea where crashes occur. I do like the new features roku added. These are totally anonymous metrics so don't fear it gives me your emails or other details. It does not.. heh

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Don't remember ever seeing this talked about, so why do the libraries default to 12 items when you launch the app, and after you toggle an item it will actually show the true item count.  An example would be Latest showing 1/12 then I enter an item or toggle through the selector it becomes 1/29?

Don't remember ever seeing this talked about, so why do the libraries default to 12 items when you launch the app, and after you toggle an item it will actually show the true item count. An example would be Latest showing 1/12 then I enter an item or toggle through the selector it becomes 1/29?

Thats because the server isnt allowing a startindex and totalrecordcount for /items/latest queries anymore. Since there is no startindex able to use and no totalrecordcount this makes the first fetch of the first 10. With this the app has to assume that is all there is. It becomes 12 because of the library and toggle are 1 and 2.

The roku app wants to paginate the load so there is no UI lag. As you navigate it gets more items background loading. It also will fetch the full amount on a row reload. When you click into an item, and back, it refreshes the entire row with all items... but you may see repeats. The 10, then the same 10 again, then the rest are normal.

If you change latest back to just /items rather than /items/latest it fixes it back to normal. This is one of those changes the server made that causes it. The app has to use the paginated grid loader or the UI becomes unresponsive during loading (like the androidTV app suffers from). I had to work around this, because at first the app would crash when loading these new endpoints. There are now 3 parsers for all responses, the original app has 1 parser. The 2 extra parsers turn json into metadata. They are: 1) /items/latest, and 2) songs by artist. These couldnt work with the normal general metadata functions without adapting them and cheating a bit.

This is why all the emby apps have not switched to /items/latest, because of the lack of startindex. On a roku 4 and the new roku models premier, premier+, and ultra this app should be ridiculously fast. Faster than most other devices because of how the roku optimizes its apps.

Edited by speechles

New Version: v3.84

* add auto direct play eac3 up to 7.1 to premier+ (4630) and ultra (4640)

* add auto direct play hevc/vp9 to premier+ (4630) and ultra (4640)

* add OS7 Capability to media information screen (canDecodeVideo)

* fix bumped all audio transcoding bitrates from 192 to 320

New roku models add new audio capabilities. The premier and ultra can support eac3(DD+) up to 8(7.1) channels. Added preliminary support for these models to auto direct play. Also added auto direct play for hevc/vp9 for these models. You couldve already "force directstream" these and direct played. This adds the ability to "auto-detection" to support it.

097b07b162b8453494e2011863d84166.jpg

There is now an OS7 Capability output on the media information screen. Scroll down to the bottom and you can see how often this method does a poor job of detection. We cannot rely on this yet as it isn't "fully there" yet. The audio capabilities also do not yet support bitrate. So this method cannot be relied on at all yet for devices. This is now there so when it is up to par we can maybe rely on it. Until it is, it can't be trusted as it will cause more transcoding than is required. I guess roku is taking baby steps with that part.

When the audio player was transcoding from an unsupported container/codec it was transcoding to 192kbps. This was lowering the audio ceiling (loss of dynamic range) for things like m4a and quality was suffering. Now everytime transcoding is done it will use the highest possible at 320kbps. The best possible quality and bitrate is possible now (more dynamic range!).

If those on rokuTV can please give me the model number of their devices I can natively support auto-detection on them. Use the "Device Info" button on the homescreen. The model and model details are what I need to know, thanks. This will help give those on rokuTV automatic direct play of mpeg1/mpeg2 streams and you wont have to "force directstream" or use the preference setting in the app. Thanks again. ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mikeraburn

@@speechles

I don't understand this comment (that is not a big surprise!)

"New roku models add new audio capabilities. The premier and ultra can support eac3(DD+) up to 8(7.1) channels. Added preliminary support for these models to auto direct play. Also added auto direct play for hevc/vp9 for these models. You couldve already "force directstream" these and direct played. This adds the ability to "auto-detection" to support it."

I have a few eac3 files and they will not play with sound unless transcoding.

Am I not understanding this correctly?

I do not have any sort of receiver that my optical out from my ROKU4 to my sound platform.

Current software is 7.2

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&SubCatId=TVee%20(BostonAcoustics_US)&Pid=TVeeOne(BostonAcoustics)

I may not even have the correct setup for the EAC3 and possibly may not grasp what I am reading.

All I know is is that Blue Neon just plain works!!

I figured I didn't comprehend what speechles was telling us.

Thanks

Your roku4 also supports eac3. If the app detects DD+(eac3) on your device it is enabled as pass-through with support for up to 7.1 channels. It is up to your setup to play the audio as the roku is only passing sound through the hdmi cable, it isnt decoding it too. Your roku4 also supports AAC 5.1 and wont have to transcode this to DD(ac3). The reason I mentioned the new devices is support is added by model#. The 4400(roku4), 4630(premier+) and 4640(ultra) add much better audio support.

Use the new "device info" button on the homescreen. Scroll down to the bottom until you see [audio decode info] and look for the eac3 8:0:0:1. If it is there the app supports it on your device.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=90710

Roku explains it better at the url above.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Keyword in the Roku link is RECEIVER.

That there is MY issue!

It took me long enough to understand this, with lots of prodding from the people here in this forum.

Thanks

mikeraburn

Can anyone here recommend a mid $$$ range receiver that will be used with a ROKU4??

I am lost when it comes to this stuff.

Surround sound is not mandatory.

I have a TCL RokuTV. I tried the device info button available on the home screen of the blue neon app. I tried it twice, but both times it simply reverted my display to the Roku home screen. My debug log in blue neon indicates I am running 3.84, I believe. Suggestions?

I have a TCL RokuTV. I tried the device info button available on the home screen of the blue neon app. I tried it twice, but both times it simply reverted my display to the Roku home screen. My debug log in blue neon indicates I am running 3.84, I believe. Suggestions?

I apologize. I was using deviceinfo().isHDMIconnected() and appears this was deprecated by roku ( See Here ) and I forgot to notice. This is not present on a rokuTv, only set-top devices. On a rokuTV this is internal. I have now corrected this.

I also fixed rokuTV detection using deviceinfo().GetDisplayProperties().internal to allow isRokuTV boolean. This allows auto-detection of mpeg1 and mpeg2 streams as direct playable on rokuTV. The "direct play mpeg1/2" setting has been removed from preferences in favor of auto-detection.

I will have a new version later today. Stay tuned...

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2