Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

If anyone knows of other similar movies please let me know. The psychological genre is my favorite, especially psychological sci-fi.

Did you see "Moon"?

• Like 3

Starkadius

Did you see "Moon"?

Completely forgot about this gem. Yeah I saw this movie and really enjoyed it as well especially for Sam Rockwell's performance (underrated actor btw).

• Like 1

joshstix

Didn't watch it at home but I saw Kingsman today at the cinema with the Mrs and highly recommend it.  its a good fun movie to watch.

Its one of the rare movies that is both better than I expected and better than I'd hoped.

Heckler

Finally someone mentions Solaris (even though it wasnt watched in this experience). Solaris is one of my favorite films mostly because of the mood it evokes; a dreamlike state at times. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic (if you are into ambient music that is).

If you enjoy the occasional psychological genre title such as The Fountain, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Tree of Life, Waking Life etc. then you might enjoy Solaris. It really is similar to those movies I mentioned (slow pace, story takes quite a while to pick up). I highly recommended it but only if you enjoy analysing the heck out of a movie like I do and seeing if there are any philosophical meanings to it or finding out more about the human psyche from a director's artistic standpoint. On the other hand if you did not enjoy any of those titles mentioned then I would steer clear of Solaris.

If anyone knows of other similar movies please let me know. The psychological genre is my favorite, especially psychological sci-fi.

I thought the Fountain was a huge steaming turd of a movie... Had some guy suggest I didn't like it because I didn't understand it... So reeled of this big speech about it's underlying meanings... and simply ended with I thought it was still a turd... It shut him up.

Can't stand elitist movie snobs like that... if you don't like a film they do then it's because you aren't as clever as them. Same twonk tried to suggest the same thing about Cloud Atlas... until I reminded him of our previous encounter and did he want another long speech about it... He refused to respond after that and has never commented about a single post of mine again.  :)

I love smacking down movie snobs almost as much as I love movies.  :)

• Like 1

Starkadius

I thought the Fountain was a huge steaming turd of a movie... Had some guy suggest I didn't like it because I didn't understand it... So reeled of this big speech about it's underlying meanings... and simply ended with I thought it was still a turd... It shut him up.

Can't stand elitist movie snobs like that... if you don't like a film they do then it's because you aren't as clever as them. Same twonk tried to suggest the same thing about Cloud Atlas... until I reminded him of our previous encounter and did he want another long speech about it... He refused to respond after that and has never commented about a single post of mine again.  :)

I love smacking down movie snobs almost as much as I love movies.  :)

Hm I am confused with this response? Are you implying I am a movie snob? This entire post seems confrontational in my opinion. I feel slightly offended. :(

Every movie is a completely subjective experience and I tend to be open minded about everything. I am curious why you thought The Fountain was a "huge steaming turd"? I don't even "get it" and I enjoyed it mainly because of the soundtrack but also because at the time I was watching The Fountain I was dealing with the passing of a very close family member so this story spoke volumes to me about the nature of death and wanting to live forever etc. I feel a movie is like a song for example, sometimes the lyrics to a song about breakups can mean nothing to a person that has a happy relationship but months later when you listen to that same song during a breakup suddenly that same song you did not like before is the best song ever. You might enjoy a particular movie at one point in your life but then find out years later it really wasnt so great after all. Heck, I still dont understand 2001 space odyssey fully and I liked it so i don't think it is about "getting it" but just if the film speaks to you in some emotional way, if it touches a chord or not and frankly everyone is different. We can't all like the same things, life would be boring if we did and the same types of movies would be made consistently.

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 1

Heckler

Hm I am confused with this response? Are you implying I am a movie snob? This entire post seems confrontational in my opinion. I feel slightly offended. :(

Every movie is a completely subjective experience and I tend to be open minded about everything. I am curious why you thought The Fountain was a "huge steaming turd"? I don't even "get it" and I enjoyed it mainly because of the soundtrack but also because at the time I was watching The Fountain I was dealing with the passing of a very close family member so this story spoke volumes to me about the nature of death and wanting to live forever etc. I feel a movie is like a song for example, sometimes the lyrics to a song about breakups can mean nothing to a person that has a happy relationship but months later when you listen to that same song during a breakup suddenly that same song you did not like before is the best song ever. You might enjoy a particular movie at one point in your life but then find out years later it really wasnt so great after all. Heck, I still dont understand 2001 space odyssey fully and I liked it so i don't think it is about "getting it" but just if the film speaks to you in some emotional way, if it touches a chord or not and frankly everyone is different. We can't all like the same things, life would be boring if we did and the same types of movies would be made consistently.

@Starkadius  Not sure where you got that I'm calling you a movie snob from... I clearly said that some one on another forum was like that. I was trying to say that I can't stand it when people try to make out you are some how lesser than they are simply because they like a movie you don't and vice versa.

Movies are very subjective, there are films that speak volumes to me for the very same reasons... Even Big Hero 6 struck a chord with me because I lost my older brother... and even though it was just over 7yrs ago now. Those things still affect me greatly. There are films like Seven Pounds that had me in tears at the end, and I've never been able to watch it again... I thought it was a wonderful film, no one else that I know did... But I don't tell them they're inferior to me because of it. I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam's work... but I don't understand probably half of it. I enjoyed the Zero Theorem, but even after watching it twice, I think I only get about 50% of the underlying meanings and subtext.

I saw the fountain probably about 3-4yrs ago, so the memory was even fresher in my mind... In fact I lost a brother, 2 aunts, an uncle, an old girlfriend and a school friend/neighbour.. all in the space of 14 months. So you might think that it would appeal to me in the same way it did you considering similar circumstances. But it didn't.. I found the constant jumping around to different time periods and the weaving of the whole plotline/love story to be erratic and ineffective. I wasn't fond of the visuals chosen nor the need for so much exposition. It felt unfinished to me and because of that I struggled to even make it to the end, I felt it was that bad.

I'm a big fan of 2001 though, and I thought Cloud Atlas was a mess... stunning to look at, some of the performances were pretty good... But I'd only give it a 4/10, the Fountain I'd only give a 2... maybe a 3.

So sorry if you got the wrong impression of my comment... it can be hard to determine meaning when you only have written text to go by and it's easy to take things out of context... For future reference, I do have a tendency to write in a semi literal way and try to avoid too much emotional inference in my comments... and I understand that when you (meaning anyone at all) apply emotion to it from the readers viewpoint... well that's when things get out of context.

Not every one would highlight that they take a meaning from something I or others write and want to clarify it.

Oh and I normally reply to anyone who says 'I'm offended by that' with a lovely little Stephen Fry quote that still makes me giggle every time.   :)

• Like 1

Heckler

I also enjoyed the movie moon

Great movie, and not a bad first try from the son of David Bowie. His second was Source Code, which is also a pretty good movie.

I just watched Birdman. Wow, it is a thinker.

he actually does die on stage, right?

One continuous shot from the camera. Well maybe not truly one continuous shot from the camera, there would have had to have been cuts, but the director really makes it look like it is one.

I think that movie just might win an Oscar on Sunday.

Edited by chef

Starkadius
Heckler, on 21 Feb 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

@Starkadius  Not sure where you got that I'm calling you a movie snob from... I clearly said that some one on another forum was like that. I was trying to say that I can't stand it when people try to make out you are some how lesser than they are simply because they like a movie you don't and vice versa.

Movies are very subjective, there are films that speak volumes to me for the very same reasons... Even Big Hero 6 struck a chord with me because I lost my older brother... and even though it was just over 7yrs ago now. Those things still affect me greatly. There are films like Seven Pounds that had me in tears at the end, and I've never been able to watch it again... I thought it was a wonderful film, no one else that I know did... But I don't tell them they're inferior to me because of it. I'm a big fan of Terry Gilliam's work... but I don't understand probably half of it. I enjoyed the Zero Theorem, but even after watching it twice, I think I only get about 50% of the underlying meanings and subtext.

I saw the fountain probably about 3-4yrs ago, so the memory was even fresher in my mind... In fact I lost a brother, 2 aunts, an uncle, an old girlfriend and a school friend/neighbour.. all in the space of 14 months. So you might think that it would appeal to me in the same way it did you considering similar circumstances. But it didn't.. I found the constant jumping around to different time periods and the weaving of the whole plotline/love story to be erratic and ineffective. I wasn't fond of the visuals chosen nor the need for so much exposition. It felt unfinished to me and because of that I struggled to even make it to the end, I felt it was that bad.

I'm a big fan of 2001 though, and I thought Cloud Atlas was a mess... stunning to look at, some of the performances were pretty good... But I'd only give it a 4/10, the Fountain I'd only give a 2... maybe a 3.

So sorry if you got the wrong impression of my comment... it can be hard to determine meaning when you only have written text to go by and it's easy to take things out of context... For future reference, I do have a tendency to write in a semi literal way and try to avoid too much emotional inference in my comments... and I understand that when you (meaning anyone at all) apply emotion to it from the readers viewpoint... well that's when things get out of context.

Not every one would highlight that they take a meaning from something I or others write and want to clarify it.

Oh and I normally reply to anyone who says 'I'm offended by that' with a lovely little Stephen Fry quote that still makes me giggle every time.   :)

First of all my condolences on your losses, I have great empathy for those that have lost loved ones since I have experienced it myself a number of times. Secondly, I was clearly wrong about the nature of your comment and stand corrected good sir. As you say it is quite easy to misinterpret the intent of text when there is no actual tone being conveyed vocally. Lets forget the misunderstanding. :)

Thank you for the critique on The Fountain. I always want to know what people think of movies even if they don't like the same movies I do because this way I may end up looking at the movie in a different angle and think "hmm you're right it was horrible after all!". In regards to The Fountain I agree that the love story was probably the weakest point and the constant jumping around created a disjointed overall story (Apparently somebody edited the full movie and created a linear version). The love story suffered I think because the two leads didnt seem to have good chemistry with one another so it was not believable. The art style though on the other hand I have to disagree, I personally really liked the whole tree in a bubble floating through space idea. Can't explain why I like it but style/art is a personal preference. The music really tugged at my heart strings at times so much that I purchased the soundtrack and remember listening to it daily after watching the movie.

Rating - The Fountain

Story: 4/10

Pacing (The way the movie was directed): 4/10

Theme (Accepting death as the natural order of the universe): 9/10

Acting: 4/10 (only Hugh Jackman had a convincing performance)

Music 9/10

Overall: 30/50 | 60% (Below average but the music and theme made up for it in my opinion so I still liked it)

Btw seven pounds is a great movie, especially about being selfless but also the difficulty about dealing with the whole grieving process and how for some people it is too unbearable.

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 1

Starkadius

One continuous shot from the camera. Well maybe not truly one continuous shot from the camera, there would have had to have been cuts, but the director really makes it look like it is one.

Noooooooo. Wow so I am subscribed to this thread and when I got the email and read this message, the spoiler tag was completely visible and for some reason I read it. Darn it I ruined the ending for myself. :(

Noooooooo. Wow so I am subscribed to this thread and when I got the email and read this message, the spoiler tag was completely visible and for some reason I read it. Darn it I ruined the ending for myself. :(

That is terrible! I am sorry that happened!!! Just so you know, what ever is written in the spoiler tag above is just one opinion, there are many different moments in that movie where one could draw that conclusion.

You should still watch it, because Birdman is quite a fantastic film!

I am going to watch it again because the cinematography is absolutely fantastic!

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Starkadius

That is terrible! I am sorry that happened!!! Just so you know, what ever is written in the spoiler tag above is just one opinion, there are many different moments in that movie where one could draw that conclusion.

You should still watch it, because Birdman is quite a fantastic film!

I am going to watch it again because the cinematography is absolutely fantastic!

No worries! It was my own fault for not stopping as soon as i saw the word "spoiler". Hmmm almost sounds like the ending of Black Swan... I will definitely still watch it though but mainly because I have always been a Michael Keaton fan (Mr. Mom, Night Shift, Beetlejuice, My Life).

Starkadius

@@Starkadius

You forgot Batman he really was a great great batman.

Haha I did not forget Batman, I just thought he is known more commonly for that role that I felt i did not need to mention it. I agree he was a great Batman and personally my favorite Batman (next to Adam West but that is up to debate haha).

• Like 1

Heckler

Watched Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 last night.

Wasn't a bad film, but wasn't as good as the original... but then neither was the sequel Catching Fire.

I know these movies aren't meant for people my age... or gender.  :P  But I enjoy all types of movies aimed at all age ranges... especially animated ones made for kids but with loads of adult jokes in them too.

I do have the books, but haven't read them yet... for the same reason I won't read game of Thrones until after the TV show has finished... I came to them both through TV/Movies and because they diverge from the source material so much apparently... I don't want to taint what I already know by reading from another source. Once Part 2 comes out later this year, I shall perhaps read the books... but then again, I've got the Harry Potter books and movies, but have never read the books and probably never will.

So anyway... the movie.  It was ok but nothing spectacular. Jennifer Lawrence continues to impress with her acting but was given very little to do in this one... Perhaps they're saving it up for the second part. Was kinda sad to see Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his very last roles before his death... knowing he won't be seen in part 2.

Other performances were a little lacklustre, many returning characters had very little screen time which was a shame...

Overall it left me feeling unsatisfied... a mediocre 6/10

fantaxp7

I thought it was really good. I really liked the score too, the drums sounded great on my surround sound.

That scene when Edward Norton first comes onto set I thought was great, just great dialog and acting. 

It is a very different movie, a bit refreshing. 

dark_slayer

Sphere, Event Horizon, Prometheus, Inception, Insomnia, Fight Club, and Starship Troopers comes to mind

Okay, starship troopers is not really psychological, but it ends up posing a lot of fascinating socio political commentaries IMO, like starting from the bottom and working your way up, requiring service to your republic for full voting citizenship, all mixed with some fun and over the top campy sci fi moments

Other than that title I think the others are all pretty psychological. I also think some crime films like LA Confidential, The Italian Job, and The Departed can be psychological thrillers as well

Edited by dark_slayer

ginjaninja

thats the most positive critique of starship troopers ive ever seen :-)

funny how such sillyness can become a classic, it gives me confidence in objective notions of quality...

do you think the production team/cast were willing it to be great (beyond its means) , or was it by accident/fluke....maybe its nice to know its can be either and both...if there was a formula for greatness...it wouldnt be so good when it comes around...

Heckler

I've not been in the mood for anything new lately... Aside from a couple of movies... I've simply been re-watching others I've enjoyed. Mostly action and comedy movies. Don't seem to be in the mood for drama/thriller and such at the moment.

Most of the movies discussed recently I have sitting on my server waiting to be watched... I just have to be in the right mood for them and lately all I want is easy, fun movies that don't require over thinking.

Any recommendations?

Maleficarum

do you think the production team/cast were willing it to be great (beyond its means) , or was it by accident/fluke.

I would like to think that if you're involved in a product or art form or whatever, you always think that it will be great, not necessarily earth-moving as there are few things that truly are, but you have that belief in what you release even if no one else does,

Starship troopers is one of those perspective plus time affairs. It was never going to be huge when it was released but now that it's had time to breathe and people have taken it what was released around the same time I think people appreciate it more than they did. It's still not an all-time classic but I think its better than most people would believe.

Heckler

I would like to think that if you're involved in a product or art form or whatever, you always think that it will be great, not necessarily earth-moving as there are few things that truly are, but you have that belief in what you release even if no one else does,

Starship troopers is one of those perspective plus time affairs. It was never going to be huge when it was released but now that it's had time to breathe and people have taken it what was released around the same time I think people appreciate it more than they did. It's still not an all-time classic but I think its better than most people would believe.

I liked Starship Troopers when it came out, but for different reasons than I do now.  Back then I was in my mid 20's, cocky, liked to drink, party and play games on my playstation with groups of friends... whilst drinking and so forth.  It was simply a fun movie that we could just sit around laughing at/with as a group.

But now I appreciate it more for it's socio-political message... I've read stories and interviews with Verhoven about how making that film was a way to highlight the propaganda machine of the Nazi regime that he experienced as a small child in the Netherlands.

My reasons for liking it may have changed, but I've always enjoyed it and I've probably seen it about 10 times over the years. I owned it on DVD and now in HD.

Are you looking for new movies only or also older ones that fit the criteria?

I'm open to all sorts of films from across the last 30-40yrs Always like to find movies I may have missed first time round. Those that have often been forgotten... I'm even fond of some of the classic Ealing comedies of the 40's and 50's., the funnier the better... Action movies need to be good though... So if any one mentions Expendables, I will hunt them down and make them eat their words... I shall first have to print them out in a really, really, big font though.  :)

Edited by Heckler

techywarrior

21 & Over

Eurotrip

The Campaign (but I think you need to be American to understand it fully)

Condorman

Dish Dogs (may be too much thinking)

Death Becomes Her

Couples Retreat

Down Periscope

Empire Records

Galaxy Quest

Get Him to the Greek

Grosse Point Blank

Iron Sky

Josie and the Pussycats (the fact that they couldn't get paid for the product placement is awesome. A very interesting movie if you think about the music and movie industry commentary that it truly is)

Van Wilder

Toys (may be too much of a drama though)

Out Cold

Paul

Porky's

Real Genius

Strange Brew

Super Troopers

Ted

Warm Bodies

Young Einstein

American Outlaws

A Knight's Tale

Kung Fu Hustle

Mars Attacks

The Saint

The Rocketeer

V for Vandetta

Wasabi

I tried to guess what you may have seen already and left out a lot of obvious movies from the last 20 years assuming you had seen them already. You may have seen a lot of these as well though. Pretty tough without knowing what you have seen :)

Hopefully there are a few in the list you haven't at least.

• Like 2