Make Emby client beautiful "not" again.

lisam

7 hours ago, samsung2100 said:

Honestly whats the wait?

Hi.  As discussed in this and the other topic now, doing something half-way would be relatively easy (except for the fact that there are multiple platforms upon which it would have to be implemented) but doing something well is a bit more complicated.

arrbee99

We don't expect instant perfection, we (or at least I) would like a quick trial in the new ATV app to see how it goes - might be great, might be a disaster area. Should definitely be optional.

OnyxUK
On 12/31/2022 at 6:35 PM, arrbee99 said:

We don't expect instant perfection, we (or at least I) would like a quick trial in the new ATV app to see how it goes - might be great, might be a disaster area. Should definitely be optional.

just read through everything everyone has said, maybe this topic of areas of ui and design improvement should be allowed for testing within beta testers only. this way it allows people to test while others that don't have to.

i agree with @Luke that things like this take time and he knows i have asked for a lot in the past but also look on what @chef has been working on with top picks and other plugins, along with @Cheesegeezer with iridium ui plugin that is currently in works. Things take time to develop but i think 2023 will be for emby and 3rd party developers to shine. 

dont get me wrong i will also be thinking on this as will give my list of design and ui ideas across very soon and if emby cant implement everyones ideas maybe some of the very talented 3rd party devs will :)      Happy new year to everyone by the way.

Edited by ONYX MEDIA
edited
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnyxUK

okay after having a lil think i have managed to come up with this. first pics shows emby as it is now and the second pic is where i would change the task bar to look something like this.

image.thumb.png.ccbfaaa55e9edce3f294ac3adb19906c.png

image.thumb.png.9ac4b94cff190609e0832e1c25fa7896.png

and then with the main UI screen 1st page i would go with something like this so all nav buttons are in one place if needed but can view whole library's in sperate screen, also i would take the favorite tab away and just have a heart icon that can this screen up instead. the top would be the spotlight that everyone is after that can also play the trailer within this field instead of opening the main video player, (same way theme videos are done) just moved to show the actual video instead of being hidden behind description text. i will  look a bit more but right now i need to get ready for work lol, all have a good day speak in a while.

image.thumb.png.63b041b723e19a08324e7421d9d1d304.png

• Like 2

Blazejos

I have recently discovered Emby searching for alternative for Plex, frustrated by sluggish Plex app on AppleTV and unstable Plex server on my Synology 916+ NAS. Let me offer some thoughts from fresh switcher:

• Emby on Synology and AppleTV app is fast & responsive: browsing, playing, time seek - feels effortless. Kudos! I have bought Premiere on the spot.
  • Playing series is a bit confusing: when I have, say, episode 6 selected, below I see 5 and 7, and so on. It's odd and confusing, I though Emby dropped some episodes at first. I can't play an episode from the list directly, need to select it first to main view - feels unnecessary.
  • skipping intro's and detecting end credits are very nice time savers
  • Emby UI feels old, outdated. There is no need to invent the wheel, all media players these days follow very similar, familiar UI pattern. Compare Netflix, Plex, AppleTV and use common features in Emby, mitigating friction for new or occasional users.

Good artists copy, great ones steal ;)

Keep up great work!

9 hours ago, ONYX MEDIA said:

i would go with something like this

That looks somewhat interesting the way you laid it out but, in an actual display it would end up like this:

image.png

3 hours ago, Blazejos said:

There is no need to invent the wheel, all media players these days follow very similar, familiar UI pattern. Compare Netflix

I agree and if you look at our default interface in the TV apps, it should look very much like Netflix because that's exactly what it was modeled after.  However, Netflix doesn't have anywhere near the detail and rich metadata we do so when you get to detail screens, things have to take a different turn.

• Agree 1

OnyxUK
7 hours ago, ebr said:

That looks somewhat interesting the way you laid it out but, in an actual display it would end up like this:

image.png

hey @ebr yes completely agree with the default view being laid out like this and cropping out. i would personally shorten the main spotlight image a little going up so that the "continue watching" images are visible and a side indicator on the left in place to show users that more is available when scrolling. i would also try to implement a way for when the user was to press down say "view all" or selecting other genres that the spotlight image shrinks to a blurred out picture with just the logo & show watch now, then when the user scrolls to the play button again it enlarges the screen to the first pic a bit like this down below. the also think i would have this to allow each category to have option to choose different layouts from the others.

ie continue watching = thumbnail images, genres = poster images, collections = backdrop, view all = poster images. others like cd art, banners and logos i wouldn't do in this field as they are different sizing and not many people use this. 

sorry i was very pushed for time this morning so couldnt get measurements right haha, in my head i knew what i ment but forgot to express them properly haha

image.thumb.jpeg.cce7ca5090660e70b5a9391e2832fcb4.jpeg   

Edited by ONYX MEDIA
  • Like 1

Blazejos
On 03/01/2023 at 14:28, ebr said:

I agree and if you look at our default interface in the TV apps, it should look very much like Netflix because that's exactly what it was modeled after.  However, Netflix doesn't have anywhere near the detail and rich metadata we do so when you get to detail screens, things have to take a different turn.

Agreed, I have recently switched from Plex and my Emby server wasn't fully configured with view options. My comment was mainly about a bit awkward episodes presentation and controls for Emby on AppleTV.

OnyxUK
On 1/3/2023 at 9:29 PM, arrbee99 said:

Rampage thing is nice, cept its too dark...

@arrbee99 lol yeah that is my bad i have custom art work that is darker than normal, have noticed though the collections are not custom art by myself and is a lot lighter than the others above. ;) 

Edited by ONYX MEDIA

arrbee99

Dark does work better in general, but not too dark...

Anyway, as I said, nice illustration. Top menu items are better than Embys, just wish the company colour wasn't green, guess all the good colours were gone already...

OnyxUK
41 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Dark does work better in general, but not too dark...

Anyway, as I said, nice illustration. Top menu items are better than Embys, just wish the company colour wasn't green, guess all the good colours were gone already...

thanks mate glad you like it too and yeah i know the feeling i personally hate green as well be good if we could have custom selection of the default colour as well haha

3 hours ago, ONYX MEDIA said:

be good if we could have custom selection of the default colour as well

Hi.  You can do this now.  Choose "Highlight color".

arrbee99
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You can do this now.  Choose "Highlight color".

True, but not for your company logo colour.

• Like 1

OnyxUK
49 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

True, but not for your company logo colour.

would be nice for the company logo to match the colour chosen in highlight defaults 

Happy2Play

Yep would need accent logo for each available color.

Like what was done in accent css topic.

Emby-Dark-Themes-Resources/images/logos-and-icons at 605cea05c8a0b0a17ffe5ac1062b54c9b4e01f6f · BenZuser/Emby-Dark-Themes-Resources (github.com)

Edited by Happy2Play
typo
  • Like 2

rbjtech

so 7 pages of 'discussion' on the topic - but nothing to show for it.

Is this something that is being considered ? @ebr @Luke - if not, then we are all wasting our time here ...

10 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Guess its a Trademark or something though, like Cadburys purple...

Correct.  Company logos are company logos and ours is a registered trademark which includes shape, color and content.  Basically, exact presentation.

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

so 7 pages of 'discussion' on the topic - but nothing to show for it.

Is this something that is being considered ? @ebr @Luke - if not, then we are all wasting our time here ...

As I pointed out a while ago, most of it is a repeat of previous discussion(s).  We have also enumerated the challenges with this.  It isn't something we want to just "throw in" in a partial state.

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I think it'd do well to take inspiration from some of the great skins people have made for Kodi. Maybe even reach out to them to see if they are capable of helping you build a better UI for Emby.

This one is my particular favorite:

Arctic Horizon 2 (kodi.tv)

boMYipm.jpg

lsabb1Q.jpg

SJEwi0Q.jpg

TZa8UgM.png

wu4kAn8.jpg

Edited by smernt
  • Like 2

Eigeplackter

Nice one, personally I'm not a fan of horizontal scrolling, that's why I prefer: Estuary MOD V2

25 minutes ago, Eigeplackter said:

Nice one, personally I'm not a fan of horizontal scrolling, that's why I prefer: Estuary MOD V2

Yea, AH2 has a wall feature too for general browsing. The rows are just for the top line widgets.

• Thanks 1