Make Emby client beautiful "not" again.

lisam

Hello 👋

I have been using Emby on my Synology for 3 years and I am very satisfied with the features.  Nevertheless, can someone explain to me why the client interface (Android) is so ugly? 

Do you intend to evolve or do you intend to stay on your achievements? 

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

arrbee99

If I might suggest, you'll probably / hopefully be asked for details / illustrations / suggestions about what you don't like / would like to improve, so might be work adding a few if its possible...

• Agree 2

vdatanet
22 minutes ago, lisam said:

Hello 👋

I have been using Emby on my Synology for 3 years and I am very satisfied with the features.  Nevertheless, can someone explain to me why the client interface (Android) is so ugly? 

Do you intend to evolve or do you intend to stay on your achievements? 

Thank you very much.

Saying that the application is ugly does not provide information. Say what you don't like and what you would change.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
MSI2017
On 11/25/2022 at 2:10 AM, Luke said:

Hi, yes can you please describe what you mean in more detail? Thanks.

Think he doens't know how to describe it lol. 

Which I kind get, it is hard to explain. I do not find it ugly at all, In fact, it is quite stylishly done. I do think maybe it could be polished a bit to feel a touch more modern with simple stuff like a gradual blur as a backdrop instead of one simple colour. Also, a material you android icon would be super cool. In general, I like the look, if a flat and simplistic. But than again, nobody wants an overdesigned looks. 

Luke66689

I personally like the "superman" theme backdrop on my android phone, but it's completely missing on the android TV app. 

I think that's what he or she might wanted to say or at least that's what I am missing and thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer

I actually think it's referring to something like what was back in the WMC days of MB2/MB3 days.  

Or event MBT days (under WPF code)

I am working on a UI interface but I have a lot of work to do and also a bit of learning.  But i'm now making progress.

samsung2100
On 07/12/2022 at 11:08, Cheesegeezer said:

I actually think it's referring to something like what was back in the WMC days of MB2/MB3 days.  

Or event MBT days (under WPF code)

I am working on a UI interface but I have a lot of work to do and also a bit of learning.  But i'm now making progress.

Any pics ? Will it have a banner at the top like apple tv ?

banner.jpg

HI, yes we're happy to make improvements, but please try to offer some specifics with your suggestions. Thanks !

samsung2100
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, yes we're happy to make improvements, but please try to offer some specifics with your suggestions. Thanks !

You have a post on here some place talking about the apple tv banner but I can't find it, mind posting that pic here ? thank you.

arrbee99

Wasn't the response to that - yes, but so many of my items don't have banners...

(my very polite response to that response would be, very politely, well make one then)

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, samsung2100 said:

I found it, can you do it like this ?

appletv.png

Yea I do really like that and it's something I'd like to add. In fact, I could easily throw it in right now if you guys can live with not being able to control the content that shows up there (e.g. random). So it's essentially held up until we're able to carve out a settings ui for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

samsung2100

Agreed as arrbee99 says, add it and lets have a go. This is a big step in the right directing finally 🙂 Can't wait to have a banner, this is going to look very slick !

Edited by samsung2100

seanbuff

Interested to see what this would look like.

Unfortunately I just don't think the current banner art will work well there. It's not big enough in height (most banners are only 185px in height, that's tiny)
It almost needs to be a hybrid cropped backdrop with an overlayed clearart logo somewhere.

Edited by seanbuff

25 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Unfortunately I just don't think the current banner art will work well there. It's not big enough in height (most banners are only 185px in height, that's tiny)
It almost needs to be a hybrid cropped backdrop with an overlayed clearart logo somewhere.

Yea it would have to be a cropped backdrop because there's no other choice. And many will report it as a problem that certain things would be getting cut off but we would just be doing the best that we can given what is available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, seanbuff said:

I don't think height would be an issue.

image.thumb.png.e6d70f7ea9adabfc68f7c3c0d3dd5e2e.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

seanbuff
13 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I don't think height would be an issue.

1000x185 blown up on a large TV display wouldn't look that great tbh, if upscaled it definitely wouldn't look sharp ...and then queue the complaints.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

1000x185 blown up on a large TV display wouldn't look that great tbh, if upscaled it definitely wouldn't look sharp ...and then queue the complaints.

Idk, making everyone happy all the time seems impossible. I say try it!

• Like 1

seanbuff
39 minutes ago, iiiJoe said:

Idk, making everyone happy all the time seems impossible. I say try it!

I think Luke's got the right idea, I look forward to seeing what he's got planned in action

• Like 1

Junglejim
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Yea it would have to be a cropped backdrop because there's no other choice. And many will report it as a problem that certain things would be getting cut off but we would just be doing the best that we can given what is available.

This looks interesting, crop the backdrop and overlay the logo. 👍

You could also overlay some resolution info.. (1080, 4K) it will look great I thinks. Just got to pick the sweet spot to crop. ;)

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 1

rbjtech

So we have done previous work on this as it was linked to the 'Spotlight' thread.

If we can get the 'row' for banners as an option (ABOVE My media or Latest rows) - then the content 'creation' can be managed by a plugin.

Just look at the top picks threads from @chef - we can crop images, fade them, add overlays etc - all with the google image libraries already built into Emby ..

This would be MOST welcomed !

• Agree 1

rbjtech
9 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Maybe the feature can look for a bespoke image type - embybanner.jpg / mainbanner.jpg or something which if populated in the media folder, emby will use instead of banner.jpg ?

Simply having the OPTION to display 'something' above the 'My Media' is a huge win here .. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3