Make Emby client beautiful "not" again.

lisam

arrbee99
5 hours ago, ebr said:

But one of those items needs to be focusable and the other not.  This really is mixing multiple design paradigms.

I know people have to explain the simplest things to me, but why would one not be focusable ? The EHC could be focusable. If its focused on an in progress item it could have a Play button that resumes playing. If its on a random movie from the Movies section, same thing,. If its on a banner showing, well, anything, that has a play button as well.

1 hour ago, arrbee99 said:

but why would one not be focusable ?

Doing that would severely impede normal navigation of the rows with a TV remote. 

Just now, arrbee99 said:

Don't know why

It would double the number of clicks it would take to navigate all the rows and the behavior would simply not be expected based on other similar designs (Amazon, etc.).  Again, these are really two competing designs - one used by Apple and the other used by pretty much everyone else (Amazon, Google, etc.).

Happy2Play

Still comes back to clients are not equal so EHS doesn't apply to any client I use.

Bottles51

I really don't get all the fuss over EHS. If you just limit the spotlight to the 1 spot if you want above my media and the 2 spot if you want below my media There will be no problem with the EHS. If you put the spotlight in the first spot it does not need to be more clicks, you can have the first click down pass the spotlight and go to my media and then a click up if you want to highlight spotlight. If you chose my media first and spotlight in 2nd the same can apply, just skip over and 1 click up if desired. then once you scroll down to your other media (continue watching, latest movies, ect) EHS would kick back in. this could only work if was limited to the top 2 rows and forcing the spotlight to be num 1 if my media was not there and forcing num 2 if my media was in 1 spot.

• Agree 2

rbjtech
8 hours ago, Bottles51 said:

I really don't get all the fuss over EHS. If you just limit the spotlight to the 1 spot if you want above my media and the 2 spot if you want below my media There will be no problem with the EHS. If you put the spotlight in the first spot it does not need to be more clicks, you can have the first click down pass the spotlight and go to my media and then a click up if you want to highlight spotlight. If you chose my media first and spotlight in 2nd the same can apply, just skip over and 1 click up if desired. then once you scroll down to your other media (continue watching, latest movies, ect) EHS would kick back in. this could only work if was limited to the top 2 rows and forcing the spotlight to be num 1 if my media was not there and forcing num 2 if my media was in 1 spot.

Agree - I also don't get why this is so complicated and takes 6 pages of debate and discussion - like every other client out there - the 'spotlight'  is on focus when you start emby - if you like what you see - then click the button on it and it will take you directly to the movie (to select version, subs, audio etc), or take you to the seasons etc if it's a TV series, just like if you had 'found it' via My Media.    If you don't like what you see on spotlight - then 'down arrow' to get to My Media - and proceed as normal.  

If you don't like seeing the spotlight bar - then turn it off - and My Media will be there like it always was.

That's it. 🙄

Not sure why EHS even got mentioned - EHS is just displaying extra info and graphics for when you manually select an item in the 'Latest' or 'Next Up' etc and will just replace the 'spotlight' screen estate when doing so - it does not do anything on 'My Media'.  EHS is effectively a manual spotlight !  The main Spotlight would be  partially doing the EHS for you (the whole purpose ..) - you probably just want the main title and spotlight image - and maybe the 'Tagline' from the metadata or the Season Overview if it's a TV show. 

In it's most simplistic form - it's just another 'Channel' row  with a much larger poster size and the ability to be positioned above 'My Media' .. ;) 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

Looking at the EHS - if the plain text title was replaced with the clearlogo, the rating info was removed and the tagline was maybe used instead of the full overview - then bingo - there is your full width 'spotlight' banner.   Dynamically create this if 'spotlight.jpg' does not exist (ie a manually created spotlight) ..  If it works for EHS, then it will work as a fallback spotlight as well .. ?

Cheesegeezer

EHS was a legacy feature introduced by Eric in WMC Client, which allowed for more info on the home page.

Enhanced Home Screen.

So if it is supposed to be an enhanced home screen then make it one.

• Like 1

rbjtech
On 21/12/2022 at 11:22, Cheesegeezer said:

EHS was a legacy feature introduced by Eric in WMC Client, which allowed for more info on the home page.

Enhanced Home Screen.

So if it is supposed to be an enhanced home screen then make it one.

AndroidTV and FireTV have it - not sure about other clients (maybe Theatre?)  - but it's halfway to creating a 'spotlight' for the item imho .. we just need the entire thing to then be selectable...

The 'replacement' Android client does not have it .. 🙄

As you know, @chef is doing something similar for Top Picks - dynamically creating images based on existing images, clear logos, metadata and fixed locations.  

edit - correction - version 3.2.67+ does now have this feature.

Edited by rbjtech

Cheesegeezer
9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

AndroidTV and FireTV have it - not sure about other clients (maybe Theatre?)  - but it's halfway to creating a 'spotlight' for the item imho .. we just need the entire thing to then be selectable...

The 'replacement Android client does not have it .. 🙄

As you know, @chef is doing something similar for Top Picks - dynamically creating images based on existing images, clear logos, metadata and fixed locations.  

Yeah, i don't think any client has a real EHS anymore.  I think the coverart plugin or feature now, uses these enhancements to generate the images.  Not sure on the tech behind but i'm gonna go with SkiaSharp for the drawables.

Anyways, i hope this post makes the start of page 7 hahahahah :D 

• Thanks 1

arrbee99

Very nice.

Think no matter how it ends up, the image / banner / thumb / whatever needs a hard border. The fading away isn't as good to me.

Cheesegeezer
7 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Very nice.

Think no matter how it ends up, the image / banner / thumb / whatever needs a hard border. The fading away isn't as good to me.

Yeah, i quite like it, but also a massive fan of the non fade. Easy to add that to theme options. Its just a switch. 😉

i know i get bored of the way my media looks, so sometimes ill prefer thumbs, posters, coverart, no coverart. 

so i am quite a fan of options, to be able to change the look and feel.

rbjtech
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes it does.

Mmm - I purposely checked this - I'm testing 3.2.62 - I'll see if the latest has it ..

Junglejim
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Mmm - I purposely checked this - I'm testing 3.2.62 - I'll see if the latest has it ..

Who cares if if does? When you select something to play in AndroidTV is defaults to the media info screen anyway.. where you select play/resume etc. So this EHS is a total waste of time in my opinion and look's like crap to boot! I know some users will disagree but it's just not for me personally.

Edited by Junglejim

rbjtech
48 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Who cares if if does? When you select something to play in AndroidTV is defaults to the media info screen anyway.. where you select play/resume etc. So this EHS is a total waste of time in my opinion and look's like crap to boot! I know some users will disagree but it's just not for me personally.

I have no intension of using the 'new' Android client on my TV's either .. but Eric said it did and as I made a conscious effort to check before I posted that comment - I need to correct it if untrue .. ;)

CBers
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

The latest beta is v3.2.90.

The EHS was added in v3.2.67.

Version 3.2.67 - 08/30/2022

Add view series to 3-dot menu for episodes and seasons
Add larger bitrate options
Add EHS option for the home screen (it is worded differently to spell out exactly what it does - focus previews)
Make play from beginning always visible
Update thumbnail bubble animation
Update detail screen runtime on version selection

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
32 minutes ago, CBers said:

The latest beta is v3.2.90.

The EHS was added in v3.2.67.

Version 3.2.67 - 08/30/2022

Add view series to 3-dot menu for episodes and seasons
Add larger bitrate options
Add EHS option for the home screen (it is worded differently to spell out exactly what it does - focus previews)
Make play from beginning always visible
Update thumbnail bubble animation
Update detail screen runtime on version selection

Ah-ha - thanks @CBers

I've updated my original post.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

samsung2100
On 18/12/2022 at 04:23, chef said:

There are quite a few clients to implement such a feature on. It couldn't happen over night.

@samsung2100 don't jump ship yet.

Especially for "those guys" (team purple).

I think you'd be more disappointed then you might realize. 

There are a lot of great ideas in this thread. 

I wouldn't count this one out yet. 

Luke rarely says "it's something he'd like to do." So, I'd imagine that's a good sign.

😆👍😃

I don't think I will jump ship, there are just so many reasons why I prefer emby over other media servers. Wife said we are purchasing the emby lifetime package after christmas after she took one look at plex 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2