Make Emby client beautiful "not" again.

lisam

CAPRICORNX10X

I think Luke is cooking something delicious for us... it's been over a month since a new update came out, not even a beta version

Lambtalk

First time posting, but I just wanted to say that the new TV interface in the Android app is actually pretty nice.
I've been a long time Plex user and have been playing around with Emby in the background weighing it up as a replacement.

Whilst each have their pros and cons, one of the biggest factors for me has always been the Android TV interface, as that's my primary consumption device.
Previously I've been giving the edge to the Plex app, but after seeing mention of the new TV interface in the standard Android Emby app, I downloaded it and gave it a go.

The Vertical view is almost exactly what I want out of an interface, except for one small thing, which I suspect might already be in the works, and that's how the libraries are displayed on the home page.

Personally, I don't really like having a dedicated row for 'My Media', especially since when used with the enhanced home screen, it just displays a random movie/show when the library is the focus, with no (obvious?) way to go to that movie/show.

The Horizontal view however incorporates the library options into the menu bar at the top of the page, which is asthetically more pleasing to me.

So I guess I'm asking if it's currently planned to incorporate the same sort of menu bar for library options on the Vertical view?

image.thumb.png.e8038d67dc16a7d7a2b652f995a55fa2.png

4 hours ago, Lambtalk said:

So I guess I'm asking if it's currently planned to incorporate the same sort of menu bar for library options on the Vertical view?

Hi.  We're planning a side menu much like you can get now with the web app.  Thanks.

• Like 2

MBSki
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We're planning a side menu much like you can get now with the web app.  Thanks.

Wow, really!? So, going back to the past and adding the fly out side menu for the Android Standard app in vertical mode? Awesome!!

18 minutes ago, MBSki said:

So, going back to the past

Not really.  The one that was there before was just a condensed view of all the rows on the home screen.  Not a side menu of your libraries and other options.

Cheesegeezer
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Not really.  The one that was there before was just a condensed view of all the rows on the home screen.  Not a side menu of your libraries and other options.

Not a quick menu for options.  will it be more like Embers side menu

image.png.a52eb5b3257428f08b8345e651d6c9f9.png

not like this

image.thumb.png.b5264ccc82eb94fd67a72956d6ef1f24.png

MBSki
11 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Not a quick menu for options.  will it be more like Embers side menu

image.png.a52eb5b3257428f08b8345e651d6c9f9.png

not like this

image.thumb.png.b5264ccc82eb94fd67a72956d6ef1f24.png

Very cool, thanks!

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, Turkojan said:

For example, look how ugly this is, looks like 15 years ago.

ugly.png

We can't even change the pictures on that old ugly trash 😄

LOL @Luke you don't put any time into making emby look good, your all about the money brother, money first emby looks last is obvious. You don't even care that emby looks old as the 1990"s you think it's ok ? LOL.

arrbee99

Personally, quite like Kodi Copacetic theme.

But Emby - everyone has their own definition of nice (or not), hence playing with css or Cheezegeezer's lovely stuff.

arrbee99
21 minutes ago, Turkojan said:

You think a media server should look like this ?

ugly.png

Well no, but I never look at folders...

3 hours ago, Turkojan said:

You think a media server should look like this ?

ugly.png

Put a jpg file of your choice named poster.jpg in those folders and Emby will pick it up. Alternatively, hoover over the folder on that screen, click the 3 dots, click edit images and add the image there...

Tailoring the eye-candy to everyone's satisfaction is impossible, you're going to have to do that yourself

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:35 AM, smernt said:

Honestly, I think it'd do well to take inspiration from some of the great skins people have made for Kodi. Maybe even reach out to them to see if they are capable of helping you build a better UI for Emby.

This one is my particular favorite:

Arctic Horizon 2 (kodi.tv)

lsabb1Q.jpg

Our TV app detail screens look pretty much like this nowadays.