Make Emby client beautiful "not" again.

lisam

rbjtech
1 hour ago, ebr said:

But that is really the main issue.  Many backdrops will not look good when cropped this way.

Agreed - but with this 'spotlight' function, the idea is the Admin is ultimately responsible for vetting the images.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 10:44 AM, rbjtech said:

Agreed - but with this 'spotlight' function, the idea is the Admin is ultimately responsible for vetting the images.

So that makes it cater to an extremely small user base willing to curate this kind of thing.  We have to spend our time on things that "just work" without a bunch of extra requirements because most people simply will not do the work and then complain that it is "half assed" or looks bad.

• Like 1

rbjtech
39 minutes ago, ebr said:

So that makes it cater to an extremely small user base willing to curate this kind of thing.  We have to spend our time on things that "just work" without a bunch of extra requirements because most people simply will not do the work and then complain that it is "half assed" or looks bad.

As explained above - the default could be to just use the 'banner.jpg/png' - assuming the user has chosen the option to include it - as by default it is not there.    It may look like cr*p (due to a low res banner) but the user has a choice to replace it - it's just metadata at the end of the day.

If the user chooses to manually curate or a plugin choses to automatically curate an alternative (lets call it 'spotlight.jpg') then we just need the feature to use that instead of banner.jpg

This caters for both the users that don't want to curate and those that do - win win for everybody.

Edited by rbjtech

crusher11

Why do people keep insisting on promoting Emby features/designs that use artwork I don't have?

These and backdrop-heavy designs are all well and good if you mostly have modern Hollywood blockbusters on your server, but mine is mostly obscure 1940s stuff, random silents, foreign movies, etc. Backdrops are usually just a random screengrab and banners don't exist at all.

And for the love of God please put the side menu in the Android apps, I hate having to display the "my media" section and would much rather just get rid of it.

4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Why do people keep insisting on promoting Emby features/designs that use artwork I don't have?

These and backdrop-heavy designs are all well and good if you mostly have modern Hollywood blockbusters on your server, but mine is mostly obscure 1940s stuff, random silents, foreign movies, etc. Backdrops are usually just a random screengrab and banners don't exist at all.

And for the love of God please put the side menu in the Android apps, I hate having to display the "my media" section and would much rather just get rid of it.

It's possible that they are not you and have different multimedia libraries than you.

• Haha 3

crusher11
6 minutes ago, roaku said:

It's possible that they are not you and have different multimedia libraries than you.

Obviously? I literally said that. But any UI design needs to work for everyone, to the greatest extent possible.

I don't understand your hostility to me providing input.

5 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Obviously? I literally said that. But any UI design needs to work for everyone, to the greatest extent possible.

You asked why people were requesting, sorry *insisting* on, something you weren't requesting. I provided a possible reason.

Edited by roaku
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Exactly, and for example, if you look at the Collection screen where you had feedback about the backdrop, you were right about that.

On 12/9/2022 at 3:04 PM, arrbee99 said:

Ok, I'm not very good at resisting temptation, so time to bore you all, again -

180564973_EmbyTheaterEHSbanner2.thumb.jpg.406889a29841d60cbd5b53c93887390d.jpg

1565013389_EmbyTheaterEHSbanner1.thumb.jpg.872fefc389cb796a1951217fef78e737.jpg

1284705011_EmbyTheaterEHSbanner.thumb.jpg.d9308b9e8e121cc5d8a546475b7800f8.jpg

92784810_EmbyBanner2.thumb.jpg.d7c5b1c59a6622b2ad9a2ede0268be40.jpg

2127748446_EmbyBanners1.thumb.JPG.b4b8215a81604e2fba72635fa23dda24.JPG

I really like the last one you showed here with the white frame.

• Like 1

arrbee99
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Exactly, and for example, if you look at the Collection screen where you had feedback about the backdrop, you were right about that.

No he wasn't

• Like 1

arrbee99
45 minutes ago, chef said:

I really like the last one you showed here with the white frame.

I live in hope it''l be an option to have it everywhere, but css has to do for now.

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

but mine is mostly obscure 1940s stuff, random silents, foreign movies, etc. Backdrops are usually just a random screengrab and banners don't exist at all.

And who is going to spotlight this media?  But in the end, it is impossible to please or design for everyone.

arrbee99

It would help if there was some kind of simple css like stuff for the apps as well, but I guess it just doesn't work like that.

arrbee99

Squint a bit and pretend this isn't (stripey) My Media but just normal but big images -

1026422420_EmbyBIGMyMedia.thumb.jpg.b4ca25845c3c21a1aeb4e5b78644d0b3.jpg

so not as good but less problematic ?

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I would absolutely hate this being a standard addition to the clients.  It's yet another thing I have to click past to browse my media.  Options are always fine of course, even if they make zero sense to me.

• Agree 1

samsung2100
14 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

I would absolutely hate this being a standard addition to the clients.  It's yet another thing I have to click past to browse my media.  Options are always fine of course, even if they make zero sense to me.

Everyone has different taste, I love options and I want that banner that Luke is making for us, can't wait until he's done making it 🙂

crusher11

The thing is, Netflix and the like have these sorts of features to advertise what's on them, because they're trying to interest you in their service. Emby doesn't need to do that, because that's not what makes them their money and because it's all your own media anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

seanbuff
4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

The thing is, Netflix and the like have these sorts of features to advertise what's on them, because they're trying to interest you in their service. Emby doesn't need to do that, because that's not what makes them their money and because it's all your own media anyway.

Again, use cases are always different. You may be the only user watching your own content, but others are Admins who have friends and family as users that they'd often like to recommend content to.

• Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 12:17 AM, Luke66689 said:

I personally like the "superman" theme backdrop on my android phone, but it's completely missing on the android TV app. 

I think that's what he or she might wanted to say or at least that's what I am missing and thinking about.

Please bring backdrops on Android-TV app! 😃 

Please fix the backdrops on the iOS app!

best regards

crusher11
7 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Again, use cases are always different. You may be the only user watching your own content, but others are Admins who have friends and family as users that they'd often like to recommend content to.

In which case they can just say that to them, directly. Or there are things like the top picks plugin. My personal method is to log in as the other user and just start favouriting things.

rbjtech
14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

And who is going to spotlight this media?  But in the end, it is impossible to please or design for everyone.

Not with a single design choice no - but give some flexibility/options and you'll please most.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Junglejim
14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Yea I agree, you can't please everyone. That's just the way it is. ;) It must be optional, that's the first step. As to who will spotlight... maybe a Admin thing or it could be random (release date/recently added)?

I still think the banner will be more plug n play option but as stated above in this thread there could be a meta option to upgrade the image.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Yea I agree, you can't please everyone. That's just the way it is. ;) It must be optional, that's the first step. As to who will spotlight... maybe a Admin thing or it could be random (release date/recently added)?

I still think the banner will be more plug n play option but as stated above in this thread there could be a meta option to upgrade the image.

The Top Picks plugin is a combination of manually picked items - that's how it started (from the 'Recommendations/Spotlight thread) but now also has some bells and whistles, recently added, Popular Items etc.

Ultimately - IF this Plugin had the ability to a) display the images much larger (full width) and b) display it above 'My media' - then you can rename Top Picks and call it Spotlight - but they are essentially the same thing.

KEEP IT SIMPLE - and then enhance it.

We just need the ability to do the two items listed above - that's it...

@chef

Edited by rbjtech

samsung2100
22 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Nicely said my friend, The banner at the top will make emby look fantastic, people are going to love it 🙂