lisam

11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I don't think height would be an issue.

image.thumb.png.e6d70f7ea9adabfc68f7c3c0d3dd5e2e.png

Oh! That does look cool. 

• Like 1

samsung2100
4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Maybe the feature can look for a bespoke image type - embybanner.jpg / mainbanner.jpg or something which if populated in the media folder, emby will use instead of banner.jpg ?

Simply having the OPTION to display 'something' above the 'My Media' is a huge win here .. 

Are you meaning emby have a special folder emby uses for the images ? For me I don't even care if the banner is not clickable, just a folder to place maybe 3 images of my own to have the banner populate them images I make myself is even fine. I just really am happy to have the banner, as long as it works on fire tv and android tv I will be smiling. Emby is the only app we use for tv other than watching youtube we always have emby going. I'm always showing everyone who visits how cool emby is 🙂 I'm rambling lol cheers.

arrbee99

So if this is for an Emby Client, as per the title, is it effectively a mod of the existing, say Android client on a Shield with the image in a more confined area (with media info) ?

Or purely one huge image ? or a row of scrolling huge images ? a row of scrolling huge images with media info ?

• Like 1

samsung2100
9 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

So if this is for an Emby Client, as per the title, is it effectively a mod of the existing, say Android client on a Shield with the image in a more confined area (with media info) ?

Or purely one huge image ? or a row of scrolling huge images ? a row of scrolling huge images with media info ?

Hopefully Huge scrolling images. I'm actually pumped for this lol for me this is just the best thing 🙂

Edited by samsung2100

Happy2Play

Personally, don't see media info having any relevance in the Spotlight, but scroll through a list of automatic or user specific list.  I would think a single item like shown examples.  Now image choice will be the challenge as there is no one size fits all.

samsung2100
14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I don't think height would be an issue.

image.thumb.png.e6d70f7ea9adabfc68f7c3c0d3dd5e2e.png

That looks great also but the one from apple tv pic it goes all the way from left of the screen to the right showing just a tad bit of the left image and the right image, that just looks really amazing.

samsung2100
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally, don't see media info having any relevance in the Spotlight, but scroll through a list of automatic or user specific list.  I would think a single item like shown examples.  Now image choice will be the challenge as there is no one size fits all.

What about a 3 pic limit of users choice ? just have it only show 3 banner pics that we put in a folder for emby maybe. Then we just make our own pics for it ?

Edited by samsung2100

arrbee99

Would probably go for, like I say, a row of big banners of random stuff thats clickable so you can say yes I'll play that, but need a bit more info and whether to play the extended cut or the 4K version or whatever.

arrbee99
3 minutes ago, samsung2100 said:

arrbee99 I see you are a css nerd 😆 I love it.

@ebr please don't crush our dreams friend 🙂 we need this asap 😀

More pics @arrbee99 Love seeing your cool css style 😀

Don't get me started....

Oh, OK then.

Still quite like the old Home page -

1564448873_EmbyHomePagebackground10.thumb.JPG.fb31dcda2a1cc80a134241bfcd0d00b0.JPG

there's some bits here -

but its scattered all over the place really. And most of it is actually thanks to Happy2plays cleverness.

samsung2100

@arrbee99  Looks really great friend, when looking through forums here your pics are always amazing, great to see css nerds on here always looking for better eye candy 😀 Do you have any other ideas of how this banner could or should look across external client devices bud ? Would love to hear your input

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arrbee99 said:

Ok, I'm not very good at resisting temptation, so time to bore you all, again -

1565013389_EmbyTheaterEHSbanner1.thumb.jpg.872fefc389cb796a1951217fef78e737.jpg

I don't think we'd do all that media info, or even the title. it would just be the big backdrop going all the way across.

• Like 1

arrbee99
7 minutes ago, samsung2100 said:

@arrbee99  Looks really great friend, when looking through forums here your pics are always amazing, great to see css nerds on here always looking for better eye candy 😀 Do you have any other ideas of how this banner could or should look across external client devices bud ? Would love to hear your input

Sadly, can't think of anything else. As you can see, I like my roundy borders, so I tend to plug that as well, but I'm not exactly Mr Imagination...

• Haha 1

arrbee99
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Probably not, but that was just a bit of cut and paste in MS Paint or similar to illustrate.

Edit - quotes a bit weird. Sorry bout that.

Edited by arrbee99

sydlexius
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

Would it be possible to either float some forward/back indicators over the image, or perhaps have a breadcrumb-ish selector below the image, so it'd be possible to switch back then click on it?

samsung2100
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Luke Sounds really great friend 🙂 Let's see what you can do bud 🙂 even a 3 pic type deal is welcomed, this will be all I need for my emby needs, after that it's perfect imo. Just please never ever add a side bar to the left like the other people at plex for fire or android tv or I will cry 😅

After the banner I will do an acronis true image backup just in case of you adding a side banner lol.

16 minutes ago, samsung2100 said:

@Luke Sounds really great friend 🙂 Let's see what you can do bud 🙂 even a 3 pic type deal is welcomed, this will be all I need for my emby needs, after that it's perfect imo. Just please never ever add a side bar to the left like the other people at plex for fire or android tv or I will cry 😅

After the banner I will do an acronis true image backup just in case of you adding a side banner lol.

If a sidebar was added, you wouldn't necessarily have to use it. The fact is that it's a trend in TV app design now, and in some cases, can reduce button clicks to get to things.

arrbee99

But some trends are just dumb. like remotes with about two buttons on them.

Nextflix, Disney+ etc have sidebars and they're just annoying. You scroll to the left a bit too far and it pops up and just gets in the way.

So I guess thats more a moan about implementation than their actual existence, but getting to them should be a deliberate act.

• Like 2

samsung2100
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

If a sidebar was added, you wouldn't necessarily have to use it. The fact is that it's a trend in TV app design now, and in some cases, can reduce button clicks to get to things.

Acronis is my friend brother, if others want that option all good my friend by all means add it but I will be happy on my version of emby without it 🙂 The only reason I love emby this much not to get side tracked but my family loves it and that side bar I am not a fan which easily can be avoided by not doing updates. I understand people need this and that so after this banner my ember server is complete for me. Perfectly Done Media Solution !

Thank you bro, money each month well spent!

Junglejim

Ok, I've tried to create some content by cropping backdrops.. That does not work out too well. You have to get specific about where you crop from. Not a good idea.

I think banners are the go, they already exist for the most part and look really good. Maybe upscale to some degree but I think some of the newer banner images will look great.

1000x185 (FanArt)..

Remote.jpeg.ceace4359b67f1bfa286e2fb5ee7a091.jpeg

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 1

rbjtech
On 10/12/2022 at 08:41, Junglejim said:

Ok, I've tried to create some content by cropping backdrops.. That does not work out too well. You have to get specific about where you crop from. Not a good idea.

I think banners are the go, they already exist for the most part and look really good. Maybe upscale to some degree but I think some of the newer banner images will look great.

1000x185 (FanArt)..

Remote.jpeg.ceace4359b67f1bfa286e2fb5ee7a091.jpeg

Images can be automatically created if you are little clever and have a framed format to create them in.

If you look at the Top picks plugin from @chef (with ideas from myself and @Cheesegeezer- the images created there 'work' (99% of the time) because they are 'framed' from combining backdrops, clearlogo and fading 'zones' to get a consistent image look (to display the number).

You can do something similiar to create your own full width 'banners' for use here - the backdrop is cropped/scaled to be the key image - faded to the left/right - then the clearlogo is added to the darkest area depending on the contrast of the two.  The tools to do this 'intelligent' image creation are already in emby ..

So in summary - I don't think the image creation is the hard bit here - it's getting the image displayed in the correct location - and for that, we need the core team to add it - and define a simple image standard / file location format - we (users..) can do the rest. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

the backdrop is cropped/scaled to be the key image

But that is really the main issue.  Many backdrops will not look good when cropped this way.