Top Picks support thread

chef

Junglejim
12 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Likely because they are scraped - I don't scrape anything with Emby, all the metadata is provided locally, its just not being picked-up as other data is. 

Yeah your probably right. I'm the opposite, I have nothing stored locally and everything is scraped with Emby.

Edit: Have you tried using the scrapers for just the top picks library?

That's the only library I use nfo saver/reader for.

Edited by Junglejim

Top picks library should have NFO files enabled by default.

I do have a new update I've been working on. 

I was testing it to see if it crashes, nothing has crashed.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:26 AM, horstepipe said:

not sure if you understand my request about library scans.

Why does "Top Picks" need to refresh all libraries, why isn't it enough to refresh the top pick library?

Best regards

I'll see if I can get it to refresh only one. I tried this before but was unsuccessful.

I ended up just running the library scan

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, Junglejim said:

Edit: Have you tried using the scrapers for just the top picks library?

Nope, for reasons twofold: 1) I'm neither keen to let Emby scrape anything and 2) My installation is completely offline, no Internet access, so even if I wanted to - couldn't, all data must be provided locally. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Nope, for reasons twofold: 1) I'm neither keen to let Emby scrape anything and 2) My installation is completely offline, no Internet access, so even if I wanted to - couldn't, all data must be provided locally. 

That is a very interesting set up choice. 

Also, kudos on the amount of work you must put into your library. 👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, chef said:

kudos on the amount of work you must put into your library.

Man, you don't wanna know, I've dug a hole to myself so deep there's just no getting out of it, save an hour or two of work, as it doesn't even resemble a hobby any more, every effin' day. Go figure. 🙄

• Like 1

Junglejim
1 hour ago, chef said:

Yep it does, That's why it's the only library to use nfo files. :)

Looking forward to the new update. 👍 I must admit my current install of top picks (.44) is running smooth and has no problems.

Junglejim
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Wow, as chef said "kudos on the amount of work you must put into your library". I couldn't do that myself, just haven't got the time.

How do you go with Emby checking your Premiere Key if your install is offline?

I was under the impression that it needed internet access periodically to check that.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

How do you go with Emby checking your Premiere Key if your install is offline?

I was under the impression that it needed internet access periodically to check that.

It does, and up until few years ago it was a real PITA and I was forced to go sometimes 2-3 months without verifying, severely limiting choice of clients, nowdays satellite internet is way more accessible, hopping online every few weeks for verification solves that one, makinng life much easier. 

Junglejim
5 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

It does, and up until few years ago it was a real PITA and I was forced to go sometimes 2-3 months without verifying, severely limiting choice of clients, nowdays satellite internet is way more accessible, hopping online every few weeks for verification solves that one, makinng life much easier. 

Satellite internet.. I can understand that! Australia is a big Island with a lot of remote area's that don't have internet. :) I've also worked on fishing boats out in the middle of the southern ocean.. no internet there, I was younger then but as you say satellite internet has come a long way.

As long as you've got Emby up and running, that's all that counts. ;)

• Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
8 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

So i had satellite internet being in an area with no phoneline it was expensive and slow. About £90/month for 20Mbits/sec download and 2Mbits upload. And i was capped at 50Gb/month down and upload.

I since moved to Mobile 4G and I’m £50/month for unlimited traffic and speeds are about 40Mbyte/sec download.

now another option togo for is Elon Musks satellite internet. It’s £500 to buy the equipment, but the footprint is tiny, setup is easy and the speeds are insanely quick. I don’t have a need for it but might be an option as would be cheaper in the long run!

11 hours ago, chef said:

Why not push it out as an beta and have some idiots like me test it as well ? :D

Beta should only be installed if one chooses to or am I wrong?

Eigeplackter
52 minutes ago, woenk said:

Why not push it out as an beta and have some idiots like me test it as well ? :D

Beta should only be installed if one chooses to or am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.

If Beta Update is pushed to catalogue, every user of emby server beta is forced to the plugin beta as well.

learned that yesterday.

On 2/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, salty2011 said:

I am currently trialing this plugin but finding that when I run the update task the emby server completely crash (running on Synology). Initially the whole emby server process would stop and would have to restart. Looking to the logs had the issue described in this fix

Applied that fix, now the emby web interface crashes. the process appears to still run, but I am finding the follow error

System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightLibraryUpdateScheduledTask.CreateTopPickSeries(BaseItem seriesBaseItem, String spotlightFolderPath, SpotlightItem spotlightItem)
   at Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightLibraryUpdateScheduledTask.<>c__DisplayClass41_0.<<Execute>b__2>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__128_1(Object state)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.<>c.<.cctor>b__6_0(QueueUserWorkItemCallback quwi)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunForThreadPoolUnsafe[TState](ExecutionContext executionContext, Action`1 callback, TState& state)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.Execute()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading.PortableThreadPool.WorkerThread.WorkerThreadStart()
   at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
Source: Emby.TopPicks
TargetSite: Void CreateTopPickSeries(MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem, System.String, Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightItem)

Looking through the emby server log can see top picks does seem to be working through....When I pick off the update tasks I do not CPU usage does jump up by 10 - 15% for several minutes before going back down. but UI does not start working. until complete restart of server

unhandled_cda308e9-6bb6-4556-974b-6392e5d43f41.txt 1.1 kB · 2 downloads embyserver-63812018023.txt 203.82 kB · 1 download

This right here! It is possible that the returned bitmaps will be only Arial text for the thumb image containing the item name. This will only happen when the images we need to create the custom thumb is not available in the library, and the Providers fail to give us the resource.

Strangely enough, that exception should not have happened, but then it did...( because code reasons... obviously...).

The reason the Series failed, was because of the custom image. 

Although I don't see this exception in my testing, I can see where it would happen, and in fact happen again. So, I deleted a bunch of metadata from my library to try and throw the same exception. It has not happened to me yet.... yet...

Also, I have removed any realtime monitoring form the plugin. We no longer act on "Item_Added" event.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Eigeplackter said:

Yes, you are wrong.

If Beta Update is pushed to catalogue, every user of emby server beta is forced to the plugin beta as well.

learned that yesterday.

Weird.....there was one plugin were the devs optioned the download for those who wanted to try out and it did not automatically install.

Junglejim

Hi @chef, I'm not sure if splitting the mixed content library's is still on the radar? ("Latest Movie Top Picks" , "Latest TV Series Top Picks")

I think this would be really nice and would pay$ again for a separate plugin.

I'm not sure how much work/problem this would be to achieve? But I would love 2 separate home widgets for said content.

I know your probably busy with other projects at the mo, so this is more a long term feature request.

Edited by Junglejim

10 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Hi @chef, I'm not sure if splitting the mixed content library's is still on the radar? ("Latest Movie Top Picks" , "Latest TV Series Top Picks")

I think this would be really nice and would pay$ again for a separate plugin.

I'm not sure how much work/problem this would be to achieve? But I would love 2 separate home widgets for said content.

I know your probably busy with other projects at the mo, so this is more a long term feature request.

No need to pay again my friend. I appreciate the contribution.

This would involve creating two libraries.

There is one thing we have to keep in mind if we do that, and that is, when the plugin is removed, I can't actually delete libraries.

I have tried. It does make me a bit nervous trying to do that. If we create two libraries, we would have to attempt to remove both programmatically when the plugin is removed. 😬

• Like 1

Darkseidd

seems still (random) fail to generate thumbnail consistently, and also seems to generate only 7 our of 9 item in many retries

image.thumb.png.124751c435488e807f8420e5ad10ae98.png

EDIT: didn't realized unhandled error log previously. there seems to be alot of Unhandled error log on previous dates..apologies

let me know if you want it all.

unhandled_ec7bb2fd-b50d-4a39-a587-b58145af1606.txt

Edited by Darkseidd
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Darkseidd said:

seems still (random) fail to generate thumbnail consistently, and also seems to generate only 7 our of 9 item in many retries

image.thumb.png.124751c435488e807f8420e5ad10ae98.png

EDIT: didn't realized unhandled error log previously. there seems to be alot of Unhandled error log on previous dates..apologies

let me know if you want it all.

unhandled_ec7bb2fd-b50d-4a39-a587-b58145af1606.txt 1.05 kB · 0 downloads

On it. 

Cheesegeezer

May i just say something… the concept of the plugin is amazing. The feedback from the community is also pretty great.. but most of all.. Chef’s dedication is unbelievable to keeping the community happy.

believe me.. this is a monumental task he’s undertaken.

but this is certainly a first for all private community servers out there. For me it works great, i get a different set of movies every week to decide on and i love it… keeps the spice alive for entertainment. 

i hope everyone is following Chef on YouTube on his Alexa(fire) app… this is next gen groundbreaking stuff and a testament to our chief plugin dev!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1