Top Picks support thread

chef

4 hours ago, Darkseidd said:

seems still (random) fail to generate thumbnail consistently, and also seems to generate only 7 our of 9 item in many retries

image.thumb.png.124751c435488e807f8420e5ad10ae98.png

EDIT: didn't realized unhandled error log previously. there seems to be alot of Unhandled error log on previous dates..apologies

let me know if you want it all.

unhandled_ec7bb2fd-b50d-4a

4 hours ago, Darkseidd said:

seems still (random) fail to generate thumbnail consistently, and also seems to generate only 7 our of 9 item in many retries

image.thumb.png.124751c435488e807f8420e5ad10ae98.png

EDIT: didn't realized unhandled error log previously. there seems to be alot of Unhandled error log on previous dates..apologies

let me know if you want it all.

unhandled_ec7bb2fd-b50d-4a39-a587-b58145af1606.txt 1.05 kB · 1 download

39-a587-b58145af1606.txt 1.05 kB · 1 download

Oh, I found it. we're erroring on mixed content.

I have to remove the ability to have mixed content in the plugin, until I can figure out why that happens.

• Thanks 1

Darkseidd
5 hours ago, chef said:

Oh, I found it. we're erroring on mixed content.

I have to remove the ability to have mixed content in the plugin, until I can figure out why that happens.

thanks!

ran another test, with Movies and TV Show content narrowed down in selection.

data generated for all nine's, but thumbnails for TV Show content somewhat missing

and another unhandled..

unhandled_3360edf2-4bed-4592-b0f5-87228e001b46.txt

I'm back!

There is definitely going to be a fix in here that will help with the thumb image renders for top picks items. 

The rendering will take a bit longer, but it should hit every item.

I'm on to the object reference exception, but I haven't quite narrowed it down yet. 

I'm pretty sure it is one of two things: the mixed content items, or it is in fact the default thumb image that Skia is attempting render. 

I just need to create another custom library with minimal metadata to test my theory.

I also figured out what I was doing wrong with the catalog. So I'll upload another fix first thing tomorrow morning.

Here is .47 though, which should render thumb images correctly (unless they are from mixed content folders, which for some reason it won't).

Emby.TopPicks_1.0.0.47.zip

• Thanks 1

Darkseidd
3 hours ago, chef said:

I'm back!

There is definitely going to be a fix in here that will help with the thumb image renders for top picks items. 

The rendering will take a bit longer, but it should hit every item.

I'm on to the object reference exception, but I haven't quite narrowed it down yet. 

I'm pretty sure it is one of two things: the mixed content items, or it is in fact the default thumb image that Skia is attempting render. 

I just need to create another custom library with minimal metadata to test my theory.

I also figured out what I was doing wrong with the catalog. So I'll upload another fix first thing tomorrow morning.

Here is .47 though, which should render thumb images correctly (unless they are from mixed content folders, which for some reason it won't).

Emby.TopPicks_1.0.0.47.zip 9.77 MB · 1 download

tested this.  first schedule task, calculate user engagement, runs just fine.

second schedule task, Update Top Picks, failed on completing the task.

embyserver log as attached. no unhandled this time..

embyserver(1).txt

Junglejim
18 hours ago, chef said:

No need to pay again my friend. I appreciate the contribution.

This would involve creating two libraries.

There is one thing we have to keep in mind if we do that, and that is, when the plugin is removed, I can't actually delete libraries.

I have tried. It does make me a bit nervous trying to do that. If we create two libraries, we would have to attempt to remove both programmatically when the plugin is removed. 😬

Yeah mate I totally understand, programming a plugin to delete library's sounds scary!!

Maybe add a disclaimer to the settings and the plugin install screen that the created library's have to be manually removed if you uninstall the plugin?

• Like 1

Oh for goodness sakes! 

I think I finally experienced the missing thumb image issue. 

I think I traced back to pinning items to the list.

@Darkseidd did you happen to have any pinned items on your top pick list? 

• Like 1

Darkseidd
56 minutes ago, chef said:

Oh for goodness sakes! 

i don't pinned anything anymore at top picks.

but during .3x version, i did pin some item.

7 hours ago, chef said:

Oh for goodness sakes! 

Dont know if there is any kind of uninstall routine...if not, there should be.

Past two weeks I uninstalled the plugin quite a few times, just to see of .44 works after it (which did not).

Top Picks task rather shows me either the first time it failed (a few months ago) or last time it succeeded.

After a reboot it shows the first time it failed, so one does not really know if it succeeded the last time or had a failure.

An uninstall should remove anything (including logs and tags)...clean slab :D

Darkseidd

hi @chef wanna ask,

does anywhere in your codes, calls this default path? this path i didn't use at my emby server except /config path which is mandatory..

- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-bbc1f360-c89a-4600-839a-3dde7645de18/whiteSSD/AppConfig/emby:/config

#     - /path/to/tvshows:/data/tvshows
#     - /path/to/movies:/data/movies
#      - /opt/vc/lib:/opt/vc/lib #optional
    ports:
      - 8096:8096
      - 8920:8920
#    devices:
#      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri #optional
#      - /dev/vchiq:/dev/vchiq #optional
#      - /dev/video10:/dev/video10 #optional
#      - /dev/video11:/dev/video11 #optional
#      - /dev/video12:/dev/video12 #optional

5 hours ago, Eigeplackter said:

Morning all.

This morning I came back online and my emby server (on synology nas) was down.

Had to manually restart it.

Logs seem to indicate that the "Top Pick" Plugin caused an unhandled excepttion, see attached log.

unhandled_d0b04e55-6939-42f1-91a3-9de00033d19f.txt 2.33 kB · 2 downloads

Whoa! 

We couldn't access one of the movies.

I'm putting the new one in the catalog.

Do you have the whole server log please?

I'm sorry for the inconvenience there.

7 hours ago, Darkseidd said:

hi @chef wanna ask,

does anywhere in your codes, calls this default path? this path i didn't use at my emby server except /config path which is mandatory..

- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-bbc1f360-c89a-4600-839a-3dde7645de18/whiteSSD/AppConfig/emby:/config

#     - /path/to/tvshows:/data/tvshows
#     - /path/to/movies:/data/movies
#      - /opt/vc/lib:/opt/vc/lib #optional
    ports:
      - 8096:8096
      - 8920:8920
#    devices:
#      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri #optional
#      - /dev/vchiq:/dev/vchiq #optional
#      - /dev/video10:/dev/video10 #optional
#      - /dev/video11:/dev/video11 #optional
#      - /dev/video12:/dev/video12 #optional

No, I don't think so. We do access the "programdata/data" folder, but that doesn't seem to be in the list there. So, I think it's safe to say we leave those routes alone. 

Any update on an update ? :D

And I would really prefer to have TopPicks for Movies and Series seperated. Primary just because it would give me TWO TopPicks :D

Secondary because issues with series would not influence the movies, meaning that our great Chef could concentrate first with one side of the plugin and than on the rest :D

Would not even mind for paying extra for a "second" plugin, even though it is mainly the same codebase.

1 hour ago, woenk said:

Any update on an update ? :D

And I would really prefer to have TopPicks for Movies and Series seperated. Primary just because it would give me TWO TopPicks :D

Secondary because issues with series would not influence the movies, meaning that our great Chef could concentrate first with one side of the plugin and than on the rest :D

Would not even mind for paying extra for a "second" plugin, even though it is mainly the same codebase.

If I create a secondary library I'll have to make an option to enable it.

I'll make an alert that the library will have to be manually removed if the plugin is removed.

Then, I guess we don't have to rely on mixed content folders.

I just have to think about how to migrate the original library to different content type.

I have the day off tomorrow, so if we do this, I'll have to figure that out.

I can think a couple things, one is switching the content type between enabling the two libraries and have one.

🤔 Then, also perhaps have to delete the library, to switch between them.

Makes me a bit nervous deleting libraries.

But.. it's worth a shot, so I will try to do this tomorrow and see what is possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Junglejim
11 hours ago, chef said:

If I create a secondary library I'll have to make an option to enable it.

I'll make an alert that the library will have to be manually removed if the plugin is removed.

Then, I guess we don't have to rely on mixed content folders.

I just have to think about how to migrate the original library to different content type.

I have the day off tomorrow, so if we do this, I'll have to figure that out.

I can think a couple things, one is switching the content type between enabling the two libraries and have one.

🤔 Then, also perhaps have to delete the library, to switch between them.

Makes me a bit nervous deleting libraries.

But.. it's worth a shot, so I will try to do this tomorrow and see what is possible.

Thanks mate for considering this. No rush! "Top Picks" is working fine as is! This would be nice though, if it's too hard don't worry about it. I can live with what we have already. :)

Yeah deleting libraries should be left to the admin (manually). As you say if you program that to happen auto and something goes wrong.. 😬

10 hours ago, Darkseidd said:

@chef is it safe to assume, once Mixed Content library exist in one's environment, top picks will start not working as intended?

Well, if the user only wants one top picks library that has tv and movies in it, then the library has to be mixed content.

But, if the user enables the option to have tv in one library and movies in the other, then each of those libraries would have the type set to the media inside it.

The issues I'm having is being able to switch the content type.

For example, the use rhas a mixed content library for top picks, but switches on the option which splits up the content.

Now, we have to  delete the original mixed content library, and create the two new ones.

Then if they decide they don't like having the content split, we have to delete two library and recreate the mined content one.

This makes me nervous. There is a lot of deleting there. Which means we are altering the database. I don't know what the consequences are. I would imagine that the core devs would frown on it. But, doesn't mean we should try it. 

Also, making sure we are removing the proper library as well, obviously. 

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
21 minutes ago, chef said:

This makes me nervous. There is a lot of deleting there. Which means we are altering the database. I don't know what the consequences are. I would imagine that the core devs would frown on it.

As some users would. Personally wouldn't like a plugin having open hands in that respect, deleting existing libraries, even ones of its own making, I have no issues doing it manually if needed, it's 10ish second process. Just my 2c.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

As some users would. Personally wouldn't like a plugin having open hands in that respect, deleting existing libraries, even ones of its own making, I have no issues doing it manually if needed, it's 10ish second process. Just my 2c.

I agree, it's no problem to do manually, it's much safer that way.

Maybe if your worried you could have the plugin bring up a simple guide, telling the user what needs to be done manually, or something like that?

• Agree 2

jaycedk

Hmm thinking out loud here.

1 ) Movie library = 1 DB

2) TV library = 1 DB

3) Mixed library = 1 DB

All in all 3 plugins right, but 2 more to maintain.

1 hour ago, jaycedk said:

Hmm thinking out loud here.

1 ) Movie library = 1 DB

2) TV library = 1 DB

3) Mixed library = 1 DB

All in all 3 plugins right, but 2 more to maintain.

It would be one plugin, that you can switch to create one or two libraries.

Top Picks could create either a mixed content library for tv and movies, or it would create two separate libraries "Top Pick Movies", and "Top Pick TV".

Of course having attempted this, it is easier said then done. But, not impossible by any stretch. 

Edited by chef
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

jaycedk

Nice :D 1 for all.

My commend about "All in all 3 plugins right, but 2 more to maintain."

Would by hard for you as dev.