Top Picks support thread

chef

GrimReaper
Just now, chef said:

Is the NFO plugin not ship with emby?

IIRC it's part of the default plugin selection upon clean install.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

IIRC it's part of the default plugin selection upon clean install.

Okay that's good.

If items are out of order for users in the future, I'll ask if that plugin is installed as part of the debugging process.

👍

• Like 1

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, chef said:

I think we are in good shape with .28 👍

Making good progress, @chef: Virtual folder selected does save/show/remain in the select box, Library Items select box underneath changes accordingly with only items belonging, unfortunately Top Picks populated are STILL from across all libraries (Movies/TV Shows).

image.thumb.png.4e3e722f37a25d173da3a1feeefee38b.png

• Like 1

Junglejim
7 hours ago, chef said:

Does the NFO plugin not ship with emby?

Oh no, is top picks reliant on that?

I think I may of removed it. ;)

Junglejim

@chef I think I know why the tags are going missing when I play media for some time from top-picks. As you know I don't usually use nfo files (that's prob why I removed the plugin years ago..) but I did some tests and if I have "Metadata Savers" selected for the Top-Picks library that doesn't happen.

Screenshot_2022-11-16_20-24-21.png.81f4738f9b1dafa7cb0dc3b65f391a2b.png

I know the plugin writes "date added" to the nfo in "data/top-picks" which was my problem with the sort of the list (no nfo plugin 😬). I'm not sure if the "Metadata Savers" option is enabled by default (not for me anyway)? Maybe as a backup the plugin could add the tags info along with the date added to "data/top-picks" lib dir? Or maybe enable the Savers option along with the Readers as default?

I don't mind ether way, Top-Picks is virtual library and is always changing so nfo's are all good there. :)

3 hours ago, Junglejim said:

@chef I think I know why the tags are going missing when I play media for some time from top-picks. As you know I don't usually use nfo files (that's prob why I removed the plugin years ago..) but I did some tests and if I have "Metadata Savers" selected for the Top-Picks library that doesn't happen.

Screenshot_2022-11-16_20-24-21.png.81f4738f9b1dafa7cb0dc3b65f391a2b.png

I know the plugin writes "date added" to the nfo in "data/top-picks" which was my problem with the sort of the list (no nfo plugin 😬). I'm not sure if the "Metadata Savers" option is enabled by default (not for me anyway)? Maybe as a backup the plugin could add the tags info along with the date added to "data/top-picks" lib dir? Or maybe enable the Savers option along with the Readers as default?

I don't mind ether way, Top-Picks is virtual library and is always changing so nfo's are all good there. :)

Yup! 100% agree. 👍 I've added for the next release. 

• Like 1

Junglejim
19 hours ago, chef said:

Yup! 100% agree. 👍 I've added for the next release. 

Cheers mate, take a well deserved break from coding and have a good weekend! Top-picks is running great. 👍

justed tested the plugin for the first time...

Is the library scan really necessary every time ? Or are the tags not stored in the database but solely in the .nfo ?

A possibility to have a user select and share his own top picks would be really nifty.

And preferrably also have Top Pics Movies and a seperate Top Picks TV.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, woenk said:

justed tested the plugin for the first time...

Is the library scan really necessary every time ? Or are the tags not stored in the database but solely in the .nfo ?

A possibility to have a user select and share his own top picks would be really nifty.

And preferrably also have Top Pics Movies and a seperate Top Picks TV.

Hey @woenk, thanks for the post.

Although the tags are stored in the NFO to help set where the ranked item is shown on the home screen and in the library, the images are rendered for each item, and a new unique Id is created during the update task. With that said, I think that the answer is, yes a library scan has to run each time in order to update the metadata. I'm pretty sure.

I like the idea of users setting their own top picks. I know that @rbjtech has been working recommendation library using playlists that allows you to get this exact idea working in emby. Now that the core devs have released public and private playlists, we may wee some further development to see this sooner then later.

A separate top picks library for tv shows did cross my mind. The original feature request was to access tv shows in top picks. At the time bundling the items together seems like the quickest way to fullfil the request. But, it is a good idea. 👍

Edited by chef

hmmmm....recommending a series produces "No playable items found....." 

Running on V4.8.0.17 ...might this be an issue with the beta?

1 minute ago, woenk said:

hmmmm....recommending a series produces "No playable items found....." 

Running on V4.8.0.17 ...might this be an issue with the beta?

Can I see a log when you have time?

GrimReaper

Top Pick items not picking-up from NFO/scraping/displaying Community and Critic ratings:

Original item:

image.thumb.png.4008e3015f17249a3779aa0ef7462efb.png

Top Pick item:

image.thumb.png.76bfa3a15a2336cf860db65bf67f04c9.png

• Thanks 1

horstepipe

anyone got this working with nginx/cloudflare in place?

Top picks stay empty here, on the settings page the movie list keeps loading - But I must say that I'm having a quite big library.

Best regards

Junglejim
14 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Top Pick items not picking-up from NFO/scraping/displaying Community and Critic ratings:

Original item:

image.thumb.png.4008e3015f17249a3779aa0ef7462efb.png

Top Pick item:

image.thumb.png.76bfa3a15a2336cf860db65bf67f04c9.png

Yea that's strange, my original & top-picks community/critic ratings match. I'm sure you have your metadata scrapers sorted so not sure whats going on there.

Main lib movie..

Screenshot_2022-11-18_20-31-21.thumb.png.b44a7e302c1737cec8d13610cf090819.png

Top-picks..

Screenshot_2022-11-18_20-31-54.thumb.png.17d123b13032997e02a3f34e158b0097.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, Junglejim said:

Yea that's strange, my original & top-picks community/critic ratings match. I'm sure you have your metadata scrapers sorted so not sure whats going on there.

Main lib movie..

Screenshot_2022-11-18_20-31-21.thumb.png.b44a7e302c1737cec8d13610cf090819.png

Top-picks..

Screenshot_2022-11-18_20-31-54.thumb.png.17d123b13032997e02a3f34e158b0097.png

Thanks for that, @Junglejim

@chef, is Top Picks plugin reading rating from db or from item NFO? If latter, what tags is it reading? <rating> and <criticrating> only or proper Kodi formatted node:

<ratings>
   <rating name="" max="" default="">
      <value></value>
      <votes></votes>
   </rating>
 </ratings>

?

NFO files/Movies - Official Kodi Wiki

57 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Thanks for that, @Junglejim

@chef, is Top Picks plugin reading rating from db or from item NFO? If latter, what tags is it reading? <rating> and <criticrating> only or proper Kodi formatted node:

<ratings>
   <rating name="" max="" default="">
      <value></value>
      <votes></votes>
   </rating>
 </ratings>

?

NFO files/Movies - Official Kodi Wiki

It don't think it reads ratings from NFO, I'll check that out.

It might be grabbing rating data for the top pick item during the library scan.

I'd have to double check.

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, woenk said:

I am afraid it does not show anything really.

Strange thing though....Movies work fine with community rating and all :D

embyserver (2).txt 12.79 kB · 1 download

Sorry, @woenk, I'd need to see a log from when the top picks update task was run.

I should a been more precise with my request 😃.

4 hours ago, horstepipe said:

anyone got this working with nginx/cloudflare in place?

Top picks stay empty here, on the settings page the movie list keeps loading - But I must say that I'm having a quite big library.

Best regards

Does the strm file point to a library item on the same machine as the Emby server is running on? 

horstepipe
38 minutes ago, chef said:

Does the strm file point to a library item on the same machine as the Emby server is running on? 

Nope, that is the issue here?

6 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

Nope, that is the issue here?

I'm not sure. 

It shouldn't be an issue, however what does the path look like in side the strm file?

horstepipe
3 minutes ago, chef said:

I'm not sure. 

It shouldn't be an issue, however what does the path look like in side the strm file?

It is pointing to a python script running on the same machine which resolves it to a cloud link. Starting with a subdomain, like this:

https://my.subdomain.com/python.py/longlink

Edited by horstepipe

19 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

It is pointing to a python script running on the same machine which resolves it to a cloud link. Starting with a subdomain, like this:

https://my.subdomain.com/python.py/longlink

Oh boy, complicated much 😆

But in all seriousness, that shouldn't matter because strm files can handle urls.

That being said, there is obviously something " a-miss".

• Agree 1