MediaInfo For Emby Plugin(HDR, Vision, Atmos, DTS:X)

Cheesegeezer

kaledi

Ive just 'discovered' this plug in.  I have a test Emby server on a windows 11 machine running the latest Emby server beta.  I've installed the plugin and the associated software as instructed and set it up to work on a test library (all MKV files) and I run the task, but it comes back as showing it takes 0 seconds and nothing shows in the library media and as far as I can tell, the mkv files have not been changed. 

Is this a common installation issue?

kaledi

I've also created a fresh server installation (portable) of the latest stable version of Emby Server, and I still can't get this to work.  Followed instructions exactly.

keemy

I would start by checking the logs after running the scheduled task and see what errors pop up. When I first I installed the plugin it failed because my version of mkvtoolnix was too high (which I discovered in the logs). The plugin prefers ver 70 as I believe that is the highest tested version but there is an option to override this warning the user to run on a test library first.

• Thanks 1

kaledi

So I have this working now, which is great.

My main installation of Emby Server is on a Synology Nas, but I have a test EMby Server on my PC directed to the media folders on my NAS.  The question I have is whether I can write the data to the files on the PC and then the information is visible on the NAS server?  I'm assuming this is possible as Emby only reads the tags in the file, so once written they can be read?  Is that correct (assuming I've set the library settings to prefer embedded names?

Also, should this work with emby clients such on the Shield TV?

Edited by kaledi

rbjtech
9 hours ago, kaledi said:

So I have this working now, which is great.

My main installation of Emby Server is on a Synology Nas, but I have a test EMby Server on my PC directed to the media folders on my NAS.  The question I have is whether I can write the data to the files on the PC and then the information is visible on the NAS server?  I'm assuming this is possible as Emby only reads the tags in the file, so once written they can be read?  Is that correct (assuming I've set the library settings to prefer embedded names?

Also, should this work with emby clients such on the Shield TV?

Yes - that is a correct - this plugin changes the track 'titles' within the MKV itself - and once written, any other emby instance will pick up those changes (after a metadata library or item refresh).    However, other features such as the tagging,  write directly to the emby database - so those will unfortunately only impact the local instance.  

This works on all clients, as it's not actually changing emby, it's changing the source MKV file headers, which emby (or any other application) then picks up.

If you haven't see it already - below is the wiki

https://github.com/Cheesegeezer/MediaInfoWiki/wiki

We would dearly love to get it working on Synology NAS - but there appears to be some issues with getting mkvpropedit and mediainfo cli working on that platform.

rbjtech
11 hours ago, keemy said:

I would start by checking the logs after running the scheduled task and see what errors pop up. When I first I installed the plugin it failed because my version of mkvtoolnix was too high (which I discovered in the logs). The plugin prefers ver 70 as I believe that is the highest tested version but there is an option to override this warning the user to run on a test library first.

Thanks yes. this is correct.   There was a version of mkvpropedit that corrupted the files 😮 - so we restricted it to known working copies.   I'm currently using v61.0.0 without issues.

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, Teddyknuddel said:

Hi @rbjtech

What about my request?

Hi - Sorry, not had time to look at this plugin at all I'm afraid .. ☺️

Teddyknuddel
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Hi - Sorry, not had time to look at this plugin at all I'm afraid .. ☺️

😪

kaledi

So I've come up with a work around for the lack of support for mediainfo and mktoolnix on DSM7 and that is to create a virtual Dsm 6.2 instance on my NAS.  I've set up another Emby server instance and use that to retag the mkv files.  This seems to be working well.

From what I can tell, a scan of the library refreshes the reading of the mkv files i.e. I don't need to refresh metadata, is that correct?

Also, I've noticed that DV files re-encoded with handbrake (latest version with pass through of DV but changes from profile 7 to 8 label the video as UHD HDR and not DV.  Now mediainfo correctly identifies them DV profile8 in the video properties.  Is this by design, a bug, or have got the settings wrong.

Also, if I run a schedule for the plugin, will it over write previously tagged by the plugin mkv or does it keep track of what it has written too and then only write to new files?    

rbjtech
25 minutes ago, kaledi said:

So I've come up with a work around for the lack of support for mediainfo and mktoolnix on DSM7 and that is to create a virtual Dsm 6.2 instance on my NAS.  I've set up another Emby server instance and use that to retag the mkv files.  This seems to be working well.

Nice - if you have the time, some bullet points on how you did this would be great - and I can then add to the wiki.

From what I can tell, a scan of the library refreshes the reading of the mkv files i.e. I don't need to refresh metadata, is that correct?

Yes because as the file has changed, emby will re-scan it as part of RTM.   You can force a rescan to pick up the changes by doing a metadata refresh if you wish.

Also, I've noticed that DV files re-encoded with handbrake (latest version with pass through of DV but changes from profile 7 to 8 label the video as UHD HDR and not DV.  Now mediainfo correctly identifies them DV profile8 in the video properties.  Is this by design, a bug, or have got the settings wrong.

Hmm interesting - I've not had any issues with the DV identification.  

Can you ping me a copy a mediainfo (gui) JSON output for this type of file (here or via pm) - and I'll see if it's something different to the usual DV8/HDR detection - if it is, I can certainly add it.

Normal DV8 is this :-

"HDR_Format": "Dolby Vision / SMPTE ST 2086",
"HDR_Format_Version": "1.0 / ",
"HDR_Format_Profile": "dvhe.08 / ",
"HDR_Format_Level": "06 / ",
"HDR_Format_Settings": "BL+RPU / ",
"HDR_Format_Compatibility": "HDR10 / HDR10",

Also, if I run a schedule for the plugin, will it over write previously tagged by the plugin mkv or does it keep track of what it has written too and then only write to new files?    

It keeps track on what is has already done, so only new items are updated.  You can however re-process or ignore individual items using the emby id (it allows multiple using comma seperated) - or you can reset the lot if you wish - useful if you want to add a certain new attribute for example.

Home · Cheesegeezer/MediaInfoWiki Wiki (github.com)

Edited by rbjtech

kaledi

thanks @rbjtechfor the info. I've PMd you with a couple of examples as requested.

Regarding the steps for setting up a virtual machine.  It is actually very straightforward provided you have a Synology NAS that is capable of creating virtual machines.

1. Open Virtual manager in DSM and create a virtual NAS with DSM 6.2 - this is available on the Synology website - most NAS have 1 licence installed to allow for a virtual machine.

2. Set the virtual hardware for the machine (I use 2 processors, 4GB of RAM and 30GB HDD)

3. Start the virtual DSM and set it up like any other NAS#

4. Map virtual folders in the virtual DSM to the folder where your media is stored (in my case on the physical NAS).  I used CIFS as for some reason some folders wouldn't map using NFS, whilst other would and all permissions were the same.  Anyhow, it doesn't really matter which protocol to use.  Instructions for mapping folders are available on the Synology wesbite, but it si pretty intuitive to do it without the instructions.

5. Manually install Emby Server and set that up including creating the libraries you want to apply this plug in.  Install any plugins you want to use, including this one.

6. Obtain mediainfo and mkvtoolnix from https://synocommunity.com/packages and manually install - I could get DSM to directly connect with this library

7. Use plugin as normal.

I've found that on Synology NAS (both physical and virtual) the server does not automatically recognise new media added and you have manually run a library scan.  I've always had to do this.  Same for the plug in.  So I also have scheduled tasks to periodically check for new files.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, kaledi said:

thanks @rbjtechfor the info. I've PMd you with a couple of examples as requested.

Regarding the steps for setting up a virtual machine.  It is actually very straightforward provided you have a Synology NAS that is capable of creating virtual machines.

1. Open Virtual manager in DSM and create a virtual NAS with DSM 6.2 - this is available on the Synology website - most NAS have 1 licence installed to allow for a virtual machine.

2. Set the virtual hardware for the machine (I use 2 processors, 4GB of RAM and 30GB HDD)

3. Start the virtual DSM and set it up like any other NAS#

4. Map virtual folders in the virtual DSM to the folder where your media is stored (in my case on the physical NAS).  I used CIFS as for some reason some folders wouldn't map using NFS, whilst other would and all permissions were the same.  Anyhow, it doesn't really matter which protocol to use.  Instructions for mapping folders are available on the Synology wesbite, but it si pretty intuitive to do it without the instructions.

5. Manually install Emby Server and set that up including creating the libraries you want to apply this plug in.  Install any plugins you want to use, including this one.

6. Obtain mediainfo and mkvtoolnix from https://synocommunity.com/packages and manually install - I could get DSM to directly connect with this library

7. Use plugin as normal.

I've found that on Synology NAS (both physical and virtual) the server does not automatically recognise new media added and you have manually run a library scan.  I've always had to do this.  Same for the plug in.  So I also have scheduled tasks to periodically check for new files.

Thanks ! - I've added this to the Plugin Wiki -

Various OS Installation Help · Cheesegeezer/MediaInfoWiki Wiki (github.com)

Teddyknuddel

@rbjtech

It's a pity that I have no idea how your plugin is structured, otherwise I would try to implement my request myself.

Teddyknuddel

Plugin no longer works with Emby Server 4.8.0.80

Misunderstanding 

Edited by Teddyknuddel

Teddyknuddel

Somehow this great plugin seems to be neglected here.

When new videos are added, the information is only entered or updated randomly. For example, if I then swap a FullHD film for a 4K film (new name, new directory, new ID), this is only changed when I make a reprocess. 

rbjtech
52 minutes ago, Teddyknuddel said:

Somehow this great plugin seems to be neglected here.

When new videos are added, the information is only entered or updated randomly. For example, if I then swap a FullHD film for a 4K film (new name, new directory, new ID), this is only changed when I make a reprocess. 

This presumabably is because it's using the same emby id as you are just replacing the file itself.   Hence the manual function within the Plugin to re-process it.    

If/when I get the time - I could look into the 'OnMediaItemUpdated' function to reprocess the file but I have not seen the core developer of this Plugin ( @Cheesegeezer) active for months, so while I can handle 'maintenance' and small functional improvements (as my own forked copy, released as DLL's) - adding this is a bit more involved.

Edited by rbjtech

Teddyknuddel

@rbjtechNo, gets new ID - already tried it. As soon as a new path and different file name is used, there is a new ID.

And if I load series with several episodes at the same time, it is rarely processed by the plugin. Then I have to reload episode by episode with a reprocess. And that is quite cumbersome.

And what about the MediaInfo entries in the description? Or has that been forgotten?

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, Teddyknuddel said:

@rbjtechNo, gets new ID - already tried it. As soon as a new path and different file name is used, there is a new ID.

And if I load series with several episodes at the same time, it is rarely processed by the plugin. Then I have to reload episode by episode with a reprocess. And that is quite cumbersome.

And what about the MediaInfo entries in the description? Or has that been forgotten?

Do you have a debug log of when this happens ?  The logging is very verbose and will likely tell you why.

I have no other reports of this - if it's a new emby ID, then to the plugin, it''s a new item - so it gets added for processing.

re Description entry - I said I would look if I get time ... sorry .. 

Teddyknuddel
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Do you have a debug log of when this happens ?  The logging is very verbose and will likely tell you why.

I have no other reports of this - if it's a new emby ID, then to the plugin, it''s a new item - so it gets added for processing.

re Description entry - I said I would look if I get time ... sorry .. 

Where can I find this debug log?

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, Teddyknuddel said:

Where can I find this debug log?

The standard emby log - just turn on debug mode.

Teddyknuddel

@rbjtechReread the whole library with MediaInfo this afternoon. And there's nothing new for my collection at the moment - it'll be a while before it's ready again.

• Like 1

rbjtech

v 1.0.1.36

Thanks to @kaledi- Handbrake appears to write some extra HDR10 metadata into the mediainfo formats that the Plugin was not picking up :-

• HDR10 plus - SMPTE ST 2086 / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4
  • Dolby Vision and HDR10 plus - Dolby Vision / SMPTE ST 2086 / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4
  • Dolby Vision and HDR10 - Dolby Vision / SMPTE ST 2086 / SMPTE ST 2086

These have both now been added.

--

Usual rules apply, copy your current DLL as a backup, replace with the attached.   Any corrections will only take place on new files, or you can re-process files if you wish.     Refresh metadata afterwards.

If you are using the catalogue version - then this version has lots of extras - so ensure you go into the Plugin config to confirm the options - and TEST.

Emby.MediaInfo.dll

Edited by rbjtech
also added some bizarre handbrake bug format..
  • Like 3

kaledi

Works really nicely.

Out if interest, if I run a scheduled task (after the first run) to update new media added, should it take a long time to do the scan - media library is large?