MediaInfo For Emby Plugin(HDR, Vision, Atmos, DTS:X)

Cheesegeezer

I've been using this on my Windows machine for quite a while and I love it.  I have moved over to TrueNAS and I am trying to figure out how to get MKVToolnix and Mediainfo  on there in a way that they can actually be used.  I have the Truecharts version of Emby installed so I was hoping I could attach a folder as extra storage and drop the files in there.  Is that doable? Is there a better way?

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Dizzy49 said:

I've been using this on my Windows machine for quite a while and I love it.  I have moved over to TrueNAS and I am trying to figure out how to get MKVToolnix and Mediainfo  on there in a way that they can actually be used.  I have the Truecharts version of Emby installed so I was hoping I could attach a folder as extra storage and drop the files in there.  Is that doable? Is there a better way?

If you can find a way then please share and I'll add to the wiki.

The ask is very simple - the Emby/The Plugin just need executable access to mkvpropedit (part of mkvtoolnix) and mediainfo(cli).   It works perfectly well on other linux based systems, but for TrueNAS, I believe the release versions of the external Apps are not compatible.    Sorry, I don't use TrueNAS, nor am I a Docker or a big Linux user - so can't help further I'm afraid.

See below (#5) - it may help ?

https://github.com/Cheesegeezer/MediaInfoWiki/wiki/Various-OS-Installation-Help

3 hours ago, MrLinford said:

@Dizzy49If you are running EMBY as a docker container my script can be run within the container will work. Does need to be run after every update: https://github.com/MrLinford/Docker-MediaInfo-PreReq

It's basically the steps I gave for section 5 referenced by @rbjtech

Sadly I am using the TrueCharts version installed through the Apps section, which I believe uses Kubernetes

MatthiasM

Hi everybody

I hope this is the right place to ask for some support cause I'm new with MediaInfo.

The base is MediaInfo 1.0.1.20 running upon Emby 4.7.14.0 at a Synology NAS with DSM 6.

The plugin works as I gues it should and change the Video and Audio track description.

But with some files the plugin wont cooperate and I got an error in the LOG:

2023-09-18 23:11:49.800 Debug Media Info: Starting MediaInfo.exe process
2023-09-18 23:11:49.800 Debug Media Info: using MediaSource Path: /volume1/video/Zurück in die Zukunft 1.mkv
2023-09-18 23:11:49.800 Debug Media Info: Args= --Output=JSON "/volume1/video/Zurück in die Zukunft 1.mkv"
2023-09-18 23:11:49.800 Debug Media Info: MediaInfoCLI Path = /volume1/@appstore/mediainfo/bin/mediainfo
2023-09-18 23:11:49.800 Debug Media Info: about to start Media Info Actual process for debug purposes only
2023-09-18 23:11:49.807 Debug Media Info: Reset Embedded Titles = False
2023-09-18 23:11:49.808 Error Media Info: UNABLE TO PROCESS MEDIA INFO
2023-09-18 23:11:49.808 Debug Media Info: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
2023-09-18 23:11:49.808 Info Media Info: PROCESSING OF Zurück in die Zukunft HAS COMPLETED

If I rename the file "Zurück in die Zukunft 1.mkv" to "Zuruck in die Zukunft 1.mkv" mean change the special character "ü" to a normal one the plugin works well and change the video and audio informations.

Can someone confirm that this confusion with special characters is a behavior of the plugin or a behavior of the Synlogy NAS?

@Cheesegeezercan you give me a hint what kind of charackters chould not be used within filenames for MediaInfo?

Thanks folks, for any help

best regards

Matthias

11 hours ago, MatthiasM said:

Can someone confirm that this confusion with special characters is a behavior of the plugin or a behavior of the Synlogy NAS?

I confirm, I have the save problem with french title "é" "à"....

rbjtech
13 hours ago, Luke said:

HDR filters are coming in Emby Server 4.8, just fyi:

image.png

Thanks for the filter @Luke- not sure why you didn't call it 'Video Dynamic Range' rather than 'Video Type' ?

The Plugin still provides much more detail on the DV Profile, HDR10+ Support and full HD Audio object based detection - so the Core has a way to go yet .. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

MatthiasM

If I call the mediainfo binary directly in a unix shell at the Synology NAS it works well with any kind of filename. One way with double quotes and the other way with back slashes.

@CheesegeezerIt it is possible change the way the mediainfo binary it called by your plugin? There are a lot of special characters within the filenames ;)

@Lukeit is possible to change the reference filenames in the emyb database manualy? So I can change the filenames in the database and in the filesystem without all the work creating new database entries and correcting the meta data.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.7ea580a759bb08c81f9a6310c239f1e2.png

or

image.thumb.png.6456ba6348a8ecaa9a2f2cab33a26f9f.png

1 minute ago, MatthiasM said:

If I call the mediainfo binary directly in a unix shell at the Synology NAS it works well with any kind of filename. One way with double quotes and the other way with back slashes.

@CheesegeezerIt it is possible change the way the mediainfo binary it called by your plugin? There are a lot of special characters within the filenames ;)

@Lukeit is possible to change the reference filenames in the emyb database manualy? So I can change the filenames in the database and in the filesystem without all the work creating new database entries and correcting the meta data.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.7ea580a759bb08c81f9a6310c239f1e2.png

or

image.thumb.png.6456ba6348a8ecaa9a2f2cab33a26f9f.png

Officially  no, because we haven't tested this ourselves, but users have discovered lots of tricks over the years, so you never know. It may work out for you.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:03 PM, MatthiasM said:

If I rename the file "Zurück in die Zukunft 1.mkv" to "Zuruck in die Zukunft 1.mkv" mean change the special character "ü" to a normal one the plugin works well and change the video and audio informations.

@Cheesegeezercan you give me a hint what kind of charackters chould not be used within filenames for MediaInfo?

Thanks folks, for any help

best regards

Matthias

No problems here on Ubuntu 22.04 with (especialy) german "Umlaute". Checked on "Zurück in die Zukunft *" an d some other movies with "äöü" in the filenames...

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, Andy2k said:

No problems here on Ubuntu 22.04 with (especialy) german "Umlaute". Checked on "Zurück in die Zukunft *" an d some other movies with "äöü" in the filenames...

I wasn't involved with the Plugin myself (Dave and I discussed it originally, but Dave wrote it 100%) - but I do know there were some initial bug fixes to accomodate utf-8.

So if there are issues, it's likely related to 'the environment' as opposed to the Plugin.  Thanks for confirming @Andy2k

MatthiasM

thx for all the feedback!

So I will go the hard way an rename the files manualy :D

@Lukethis is maybe a nice feature with emby in the future -> the user press a button and choose a character, than emby find and replace it with another given set of chars in the DB and the filesystem. There is also a lot of trouble with ' in the filename, especially within unix scripts.

best regards Matthias

• Thanks 1

MagicDoubleM
9 hours ago, MatthiasM said:

thx for all the feedback!

So I will go the hard way an rename the files manualy :D

@Lukethis is maybe a nice feature with emby in the future -> the user press a button and choose a character, than emby find and replace it with another given set of chars in the DB and the filesystem. There is also a lot of trouble with ' in the filename, especially within unix scripts.

best regards Matthias

Or, it's time to look into a proper library-managment tool like radarr? It's pretty nice for such special tasks too.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, FrostByte said:

Other than searching the title for "Commentary" I'm not seeing anything.  Could do the same with "SDH" and subs too I guess when extracting.  Another flag which isn't in mediainfo yet.

HI, the hearing impaired status for subtitles, both internal and external will be supported in Emby Server 4.8:

image.png

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

scottpro

Quick question.  Does the BIF Generator work under Linux?  The MediaInfo part works great but the HDR -> SDR thumbnail generator does nothing.  The logs say it finds the HDR movies and is doing the conversation but nothing is created (debug logging enabled).

2023-10-05 17:52:07.694 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: Total HDR Items to process = 1
2023-10-05 17:52:07.694 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: Running HD-SD ToneMapping BIF file generator for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - ID = 275315
2023-10-05 17:52:07.694 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: Movie to extract HDR = Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 
2023-10-05 17:52:07.697 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: HDR-SDR Conversion completed for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 
2023-10-05 17:52:07.698 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: HDR-SDR TASK HAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
2023-10-05 17:52:07.698 Debug XmlSerializer: Serializing to file /var/lib/emby/plugins/configurations/Emby.MediaInfo.xml
2023-10-05 17:52:07.700 Debug TaskManager: Thumbnail Image HDR-SDR Image Generation Completed after 0 minute(s) and 1 seconds

The whole process runs under one second.  Plus, I was monitoring the temp image folder and nothing is written out.
/var/lib/emby/plugins/configurations/BIFTempImages

Just curious if this even works.

Also, the file browser when selecting the "biftool" location doesn't list the executable in the list.  I have to manually enter the path and program name.  I can run the biftool from command line and works.  But I think the problem is before this tool is even run.

/usr/bin/biftool
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      620600 Sep 30 13:24  biftool*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      151720 Sep 30 13:24  biftool_processor*

BTW, normal thumbnail generation works fine, just not tone-mapped.

Thanks

Edited by scottpro

rbjtech
7 hours ago, scottpro said:

Quick question.  Does the BIF Generator work under Linux?  The MediaInfo part works great but the HDR -> SDR thumbnail generator does nothing.  The logs say it finds the HDR movies and is doing the conversation but nothing is created (debug logging enabled).

2023-10-05 17:52:07.694 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: Total HDR Items to process = 1
2023-10-05 17:52:07.694 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: Running HD-SD ToneMapping BIF file generator for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - ID = 275315
2023-10-05 17:52:07.694 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: Movie to extract HDR = Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 
2023-10-05 17:52:07.697 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: HDR-SDR Conversion completed for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 
2023-10-05 17:52:07.698 Info Media Info-HDRConvert: HDR-SDR TASK HAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
2023-10-05 17:52:07.698 Debug XmlSerializer: Serializing to file /var/lib/emby/plugins/configurations/Emby.MediaInfo.xml
2023-10-05 17:52:07.700 Debug TaskManager: Thumbnail Image HDR-SDR Image Generation Completed after 0 minute(s) and 1 seconds

The whole process runs under one second.  Plus, I was monitoring the temp image folder and nothing is written out.
/var/lib/emby/plugins/configurations/BIFTempImages

Just curious if this even works.

Also, the file browser when selecting the "biftool" location doesn't list the executable in the list.  I have to manually enter the path and program name.  I can run the biftool from command line and works.  But I think the problem is before this tool is even run.

/usr/bin/biftool
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      620600 Sep 30 13:24  biftool*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      151720 Sep 30 13:24  biftool_processor*

BTW, normal thumbnail generation works fine, just not tone-mapped.

Thanks

Hi - The HDR BIF generator was disabled from the Plugin because the Emby Core (Beta - 8.4+) now does this anyway.   I think @Cheesegeezerplanned to remove it once the Beta went live, but of course emby are taking a long time to do this.    

Therefore, if you are on the beta, and you want emby to produce SDR thumbs from an HDR source, then simply delete the BIF file - and it will be recreated using a tonemap.

scottpro
10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Hi - The HDR BIF generator was disabled from the Plugin because the Emby Core (Beta - 8.4+) now does this anyway.   I think @Cheesegeezerplanned to remove it once the Beta went live, but of course emby are taking a long time to do this.    

Therefore, if you are on the beta, and you want emby to produce SDR thumbs from an HDR source, then simply delete the BIF file - and it will be recreated using a tonemap.

@rbjtechThanks for the info.  I'll leave it disabled for now and might give the Beta a try when available.

Rikitydj

I'm on unraid and running the official emby server container. 

Will the docker guide in the wiki work on the official emby server? 

MrLinford
18 hours ago, Rikitydj said:

If you read my post here: 

The Docker instruction was based on the Linux Server template. I believe the distros used are different so I can not confirm.

Note also that I have created a script that you can run and it does all the work for you 😀

I have now created a shell script to run with "emby" docker container, you can find it here: https://github.com/MrLinford/Docker-MediaInfo-PreReq

• Thanks 1

Rikitydj

root@Tower:~# docker exec -it EmbyServer bash
OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: unable to start container process: exec: "bash": executable file not found in $PATH: unknown
root@Tower:~#

any ideas?

sydlexius
On 10/8/2023 at 1:03 PM, Rikitydj said:

It won't be possible with the official container, as the image has been configured to not include a package manager.  This would mean manually figuring out which libraries to include, as well as copying those files to the correct locations (most likely via a cron job).

rbjtech

DRAFT ....

v 1.0.1.35

Added support to include any BCP47 extended language codes read from the BCP47 element in the MKV.

ie Spanish (Mexican)

Set under Audio Settings -

image.png.712c99c8740a7493a70bbb63c7cabc18.png

Default = OFF

image.png.370ff68776930b8d330f195c69068592.png

If selected, then the BCP47 sub language is inserted - ie

image.png.827e66a781703db644ed10498c70a348.png

If Tag's are selected - then it will also write the full language 

image.png.b686974221f0e5d05d0558d2b6b06954.png

--

Need to do a little more testing - then I'll post the DLL.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 3

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, MAX92 said:

In a next release, do you plan to correct the accent problem in title name ? 

Hi - I believe this is unfortunately outside of my control - it's getting lost in the transfer of data from the external tools (mediainfo cli and mkvpropedit) to emby.  All the tools are supposed to support UTF8, so it 'should' work ok, but doesn't in some cases.

Do you have an example to hand - I'll take a 2nd look but I did look at this when you raised originally and found nothing obvious I'm afraid.