embyforkodi (next-gen) 7.X.X support

quickmic

Emby server has an API that can send a message to a client by identifying the session ID and giving it a message.

This used to work to send messages to the embyForKodi client. It no longer does. This can be tested either by using the API directly to send a message to the session, or by using the server dashboard "Now Playing" section to find what is currently playing in the session and using the "Send Message" icon at the bottom of the "Now Playing" listing.

I am using:

• Emby for Kodi Next Gen version 7.13.6
  • Embuary Skin version 18.8.8
  • Emby Server version 4.7.11.0
  • Kodi Nexus for Android TV version 20.0

I don't remember what versions of the above I was using when this was last working, but it was working with older versions of the same combination of software (Emby for Kodi and Embuary and Kodi -- Matrix in this case). If I had to guess, I'd guess it was last working in 6.x.x? I assume sending messages to the client is broken for everyone using latest release version of Emby Fork Kodi Next Gen plugin and not just me? Thanks for whatever info you can share with me regarding this issue.

quickmic
36 minutes ago, harrv said:

Emby server has an API that can send a message to a client by identifying the session ID and giving it a message.

This used to work to send messages to the embyForKodi client. It no longer does. This can be tested either by using the API directly to send a message to the session, or by using the server dashboard "Now Playing" section to find what is currently playing in the session and using the "Send Message" icon at the bottom of the "Now Playing" listing.

I am using:

• Emby for Kodi Next Gen version 7.13.6
  • Embuary Skin version 18.8.8
  • Emby Server version 4.7.11.0
  • Kodi Nexus for Android TV version 20.0

I don't remember what versions of the above I was using when this was last working, but it was working with older versions of the same combination of software (Emby for Kodi and Embuary and Kodi -- Matrix in this case). If I had to guess, I'd guess it was last working in 6.x.x? I assume sending messages to the client is broken for everyone using latest release version of Emby Fork Kodi Next Gen plugin and not just me? Thanks for whatever info you can share with me regarding this issue.

I also tested by sending a msg via Emby's WebUI (I assume that the same API). Working fine here with 7.13.6.

sc1.png

Edited by quickmic

27 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I also tested by sending a msg via Emby's WebUI (I assume that the same API). Working fine here with 7.13.6.

Thanks for trying that. Good to know! Perhaps the skin then? i'll try another one.

LittleWizard

Also for me masseges work well on both kodi 19 and 20 with latest embyforfodi addoon.

Kodi 20 is not perfectly stable on Nvidia Shield TV PRO 19 even without any addon and fresh install (sometime hangs on startup, sometime, seldom, hang on stop of a video or does strange behaviour on play, but most of the time (95%) works well).

• Like 1

LittleWizard
Spoiler

Can't really figure out the problem about subtitles. With some files they works correctly (no duplicated and remember last selected at resume). With other files there are duplicated external subs and they are selected every time. Always direct play can't figure out. I'll go on investigating the differences between working and not working files

• Like 1

22 hours ago, harrv said:

Thanks for trying that. Good to know! Perhaps the skin then? i'll try another one.

I switched skins from Embuary to Estuary and messages started working. Then I switched back to Embuary and, oddly enough, they started working there too.

I don’t know what weirdness I stumbled into there, but problem solved now. Thank you to those who replied for your help.

Edited by harrv
  • Like 1

LittleWizard

I'm investigating subtitles problem beacuse with some files there are not duplicated subs and kodi correctly remember last used and default. Working and not working videos are both on direct play and pluginmode. And happens always with same files on both kodi 19 and 20, very very strange. I'll try figuring out what is the x factor between correctly working files and files with duplicated subs.

• 2 weeks later...
quickmic
1 hour ago, jaybird2203 said:

@quickmic looks like there was a change to the iptv simple client (20.8.x) for kodi 20 that embyforkodi can no longer sync to. Forum thread below.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371966&page=2

Would this be a change on embyforkodi or the addon that's breaking?

I assume it's not a big deal, more info after I reviewed the changes.

quickmic
1 hour ago, jimbobjonesbob said:

is Skip Intro meant to work with 7.13.6 ?

Yes it does, needs to be enabled in plugin's config menu.

Edited by quickmic

Nvidia Shield 2019

Kodi 20

Emby Next Gen 7.13.6

Emby server 4.7.11.0

I seem to be having an issue with the syncing of watch progress in Emby Next Gen. If i watch something and then stop it, it doesn't register the resume point, and even if I watch a full episode of something, it doesn't mark it was watched. I can gather a log tomorrow if needed, but just wondered if this is already a know bug?

quickmic
39 minutes ago, smernt said:

Nvidia Shield 2019

Kodi 20

Emby Next Gen 7.13.6

Emby server 4.7.11.0

I seem to be having an issue with the syncing of watch progress in Emby Next Gen. If i watch something and then stop it, it doesn't register the resume point, and even if I watch a full episode of something, it doesn't mark it was watched. I can gather a log tomorrow if needed, but just wondered if this is already a know bug?

No, not a known bug and actually I think it isn't a general issue. Doesn't mean it's not a problem but maybe related to your setup only.

Yes, please send me a kodi log and I'll have a look.

btw, I can rule out such major issues. It would affect me (and lot's of other users as well) also could not stay undiscovered for long.

Edited by quickmic

MrNo0000

The next episode won't be updated to the Kodi mainpage if the last just finished. But the finished status is synced to the server and the new episode will be there if the Kodi restarted.

The movies are also won't be tagged watched in the Kodi.

And it's strange that the Kodi's activity won't show in the Emby server's Activity.

Kodi Version: v20.0

Emby Server Version:  4.7.11.0

Hardware: Shield TV Pro 2019

Emby for Kodi Next Gen: 7.13.16

quickmic
4 hours ago, MrNo0000 said:

The next episode won't be updated to the Kodi mainpage if the last just finished. But the finished status is synced to the server and the new episode will be there if the Kodi restarted.

And it's strange that the Kodi's activity won't show in the Emby server's Activity.

I doubt it's a plugin issue.

Usual recommendation, use stock skin on your Kodi device (use a stock Kodi installation on PC/Mac for an additional test) for verification. I think it is related to your (Kodi) setup. most likely skin or skin helpers or a general bug.

This would be a MAJOR issue and cannot stay undiscovered for long. As you are the only one reporting this issue, I need solid prove with a reproducable test case.

Edited by quickmic

MrNo0000
6 hours ago, quickmic said:

Usual recommendation, use stock skin on your Kodi device (use a stock Kodi installation on PC/Mac for an additional test) for verification. I think it is related to your (Kodi) setup. most likely skin or skin helpers or a general bug.

This would be a MAJOR issue and cannot stay undiscovered for long. As you are the only one reporting this issue, I need solid prove with a reproducable test case.

Thanks for your reply and I will test it on PC later. 

I'm using Embuary skin for now and I would reinstall the Kodi on the Shield to see if there's any problem.

quickmic
2 hours ago, MrNo0000 said:

Thanks for your reply and I will test it on PC later. 

I'm using Embuary skin for now and I would reinstall the Kodi on the Shield to see if there's any problem.

Another thing comes to mind. Maybe updates are disabled in advancedsettings.xml.

You can remove this file and restart Kodi.

MrNo0000
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Another thing comes to mind. Maybe updates are disabled in advancedsettings.xml.

You can remove this file and restart Kodi.

There's only few lines in the xml, don't think that could cause the problem. 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <curlclienttimeout>120</curlclienttimeout>
        <curllowspeedtime>120</curllowspeedtime>
        <disablehttp2>false</disablehttp2>
    </network>
</advancedsettings>

quickmic
3 hours ago, MrNo0000 said:

There's only few lines in the xml, don't think that could cause the problem. 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<advancedsettings>
    <network>
        <curlclienttimeout>120</curlclienttimeout>
        <curllowspeedtime>120</curllowspeedtime>
        <disablehttp2>false</disablehttp2>
    </network>
</advancedsettings>

That's correct.

MrNo0000
18 hours ago, quickmic said:

I tried on PC, and also tried to reinstall the Kodi and set the Emby whole again, all the same.

I think it's an Emby Server issue and the server is on DSM7. I'm trying to figure out why.

Is there any settings of the server may cause the behavior? Thanks.

quickmic
4 minutes ago, MrNo0000 said:

I tried on PC, and also tried to reinstall the Kodi and set the Emby whole again, all the same.

I think it's an Emby Server issue and the server is on DSM7. I'm trying to figure out why.

Is there any settings of the server may cause the behavior? Thanks.

Please send me a kodi.log for review.

MrNo0000
23 hours ago, MrNo0000 said:

As I mentioned that the Shield Kodi's Activity won't show the Emby server's activity, the PC Kodi is the same. 

There's no starting play or stoped play logs.

quickmic
23 minutes ago, MrNo0000 said:

Yes, and I see no issues. One episode was updated in this log, I assume that's correct. Also websocket connection is ok, which brings me back:

The next episode won't be updated to the Kodi mainpage if the last just finished.

Please elaborate exactly what you mean. Probably a screenshot would help.

Maybe you mean the the next episode nodes? As I can see you use embuary skin. This skin has its own next episode node and has nothing to do with the plugin. If you not using the plugins next episode node (which is also available), it's probably a skin bug.

Do you speak German? there is a long thread about that (tricky) matter:

Edited by quickmic

MrNo0000

Sorry I don't know German.

What I mean is that, I played a TV episode and it finished, the next episode won't be updated to the 'Next Up' area, the just finished episode would just keep in the 'Next Up' and won't be tagged as watched. (As in the log, I have finished the Yellowstone S5:E3, and the S5:E4 should be there but the S5:E3 keeps there.)If I restart the Kodi, the 'Next Up' would update to the new EP, and the last would also be tagged watched.

This situation is also reproducable when watching a movie, it won't be tagged watched after it finished.

But the watched status are synced to the Emby Server successfully.

So I think the true problem is that the watched content won't be marked as watched automatically.

image.thumb.png.a53a4bc41abc5d1e689fd32cfde36f09.png

Edited by MrNo0000
Add more info