embyforkodi (next-gen) 7.X.X support

quickmic

LittleWizard

I have no real problems with my shield tv pro 19 and embyforkody 7.x

Kodi 20 is less stable than 19, but works quite well.

I think that my advancedsettings.xml was first edited by the addon itself to disable http2.

JavierPa

Hello, to see if someone can solve this that happens to me.

I use the emby version 7 addon, on nvidia shield and kodi nexus.

When I start playback, the black screen appears first, then the kodi menu appears again and finally it starts playing.

This only happens when I activate the refresh rate.

I have tried many options and it does not work. Even disable http2 in the emby addon options.

I leave a video where you can see it.

• 2 weeks later...
minos

Hi, i have a old fire tv in our bedroom and i update the kodi version to nexus this week.

but cant run the emby next gen. maby somebody can have look in the log and can say me whats wrong. thx

its a fresh install, without any addons

kodi.log

Edited by minos

quickmic
1 hour ago, minos said:

Hi, i have a old fire tv in our bedroom and i update the kodi version to nexus this week.

but cant run the emby next gen. maby somebody can have look in the log and can say me whats wrong. thx

its a fresh install, without any addons

kodi.log 33.2 kB · 0 downloads

your advancedsettings.xml is corrupted:

Error loading special://profile/advancedsettings.xml, Line 25

delete the file or fix it.

minos
15 minutes ago, quickmic said:

ah thx. very special, i used for 8 years :D

Edited by minos

• 2 weeks later...
SwanStream
On 3/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, quickmic said:

If you are using fileops on Kodi, LOOK and VERFY what Kodi is about to delete or modify. The affected folder is clearly shown in a Kodi popup message.

Not always the case. I use AEON NOX SiLVO skin.

Hit Delete - 1st Pop says

image.png.077ec0d359f40a353a1b5af0688aba51.png

Then there's a popup that's replaced too fast to read and I see this:

image.png.a774887bdf9114e6edd3e1895cc0db40.png

The popup that's between them has a path in it, but as said, it's too fast to read.

Just an FYI no problem with the concept of delete, but over-all the implementation, in this case at least, doesn't really reflect the importance of getting it right....

Seems simple to fix with that last popup having the path, but who to contact idonno.

quickmic
11 hours ago, SwanStream said:

Hit Delete - 1st Pop says

image.png.077ec0d359f40a353a1b5af0688aba51.png

This message is from Kodi and actually looks like Kodi has a special character issue. -> Double/Single quotes.

Do you know the actual TVShow name? Maybe I can perform some tests, could also be skin related. Additionally you can try using an Arial based font (Kodi setup).

Arial fonts have less special character issues as the default one.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
11 hours ago, SwanStream said:

Nimage.png.a774887bdf9114e6edd3e1895cc0db40.png

The popup that's between them has a path in it, but as said, it's too fast to read.

Will check that too, but again. Could be skin related.

SwanStream
10 hours ago, quickmic said:

This message is from Kodi and actually looks like Kodi has a special character issue. -> Double/Single quotes.

Do you know the actual TVShow name? Maybe I can perform some tests, could also be skin related. Additionally you can try using an Arial based font (Kodi setup).

Arial fonts have less special character issues as the default one.

The show starts with a single quote, so that's not the issue. the double quote you see is just two single quotes.

It's not about what's in the screen shots, it's about what's NOT... i.e. the path. 

SwanStream

Wonder if anyone has updated to 4.8.0.25 or .26 and tested init sync? ...other than me. My experience putting paging back up to 70 resulted in bad things (yet again/still). Paging ack at 5 and I'll have to wait a day or two for the full sync to finish (unless it encounters another reason to fail) before I know if it worked and am trying to just get a sense if I'm just wasting time again.

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, SwanStream said:

Wonder if anyone has updated to 4.8.0.25 or .26 and tested init sync? ...other than me. My experience putting paging back up to 70 resulted in bad things (yet again/still). Paging ack at 5 and I'll have to wait a day or two for the full sync to finish (unless it encounters another reason to fail) before I know if it worked and am trying to just get a sense if I'm just wasting time again.

Believe it was already reported as still broken, both on 8.x.x and 7.x.x:

Edited by GrimReaper

quickmic
23 minutes ago, SwanStream said:

Damn! Haven't gotten a good sync since before December last year!

Thx (again) for the info @GrimReaper

Unfortunately, I can confirm, .26 is still slow.

I rollback to .19

• Like 1

SwanStream
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Unfortunately, I can confirm, .26 is still slow.

I rollback to .19

Is there some secret migrate backwards tool I don't know about? Thought it was one way from .20 up?... I didn't figure out the problem till long after I migrated, so going back, as far as I understand it either involves loosing everything since the last .19 backup or just starting over.... Any insight appreciated.

GrimReaper

If you're rolling with betas (though I do it on my stables as well), you should really get into habit of backing up your complete programdata folder, particularly before server upgrade. 

quickmic
4 minutes ago, SwanStream said:

Is there some secret migrate backwards tool I don't know about? Thought it was one way from .20 up?... I didn't figure out the problem till long after I migrated, so going back, as far as I understand it either involves loosing everything since the last .19 backup or just starting over.... Any insight appreciated.

I'm using virtual machines and roll back the whole vm.

SwanStream
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

If you're rolling with betas (though I do it on my stables as well), you should really get into habit of backing up your complete programdata folder, particularly before server upgrade. 

Understood and agree, and try to be part of beta for the reason of helping test, not my need to be in the latest and greatest club..... but it was long between the update and I noticed the problem (only see it on an initial sync) that I didn't realize it was a problem for so long that I had no path back... backups were of data long in the past by then and useless.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, SwanStream said:

Understood and agree, and try to be part of beta for the reason of helping test, not my need to be in the latest and greatest club..... but it was long between the update and I noticed the problem (only see it on an initial sync) that I didn't realize it was a problem for so long that I had no path back... backups were of data long in the past by then and useless.

Then I believe your chances of successfully rolling back (which is not officially supported anyway, but can be done if you have a proper - practically everything - backup, either as server folder or a vm) are pretty slim. .19 to .20 brought some breaking changes, what .25-.26 brought along noone knows for sure yet, hence issue-free rollback to .19 personally doesn't seem likely. 

SwanStream

That's what I understood the situation to be... I'll survive. 

Seems like a problem that could have been avoided while still encouraging testing, still could be fixed by someone in db migration business, to make a small tool to remap and rebuild the existing db down to .19 specs... seems like it'd be a good practice for the devs to build in such tools when downward migration isn't possible anyway... in a belt and suspenders kinda way.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, SwanStream said:

That's what I understood the situation to be... I'll survive. 

Seems like a problem that could have been avoided while still encouraging testing, still could be fixed by someone in db migration business, to make a small tool to remap and rebuild the existing db down to .19 specs... seems like it'd be a good practice for the devs to build in such tools when downward migration isn't possible anyway... in a belt and suspenders kinda way.

Personally, with limited resources always stretched as they are, I reckon those should be directed elsewhere, like bug solving/product improvement, as both theoretically and practically it is already feasible: have a proper backup (philosophy that doesn't apply to Emby alone, but in general). Just my 2c.

SwanStream

@quickmichate to be a pain,... not getting watched status on init sync with .26 and 7.x.x. Not able to send logs at the minute, but thought I'd mention it anyway. UserId shows watched status in emby, but not in kodi

• Like 1

DarWun
8 minutes ago, SwanStream said:

@quickmichate to be a pain,... not getting watched status on init sync with .26 and 7.x.x. Not able to send logs at the minute, but thought I'd mention it anyway. UserId shows watched status in emby, but not in kodi

@quickmicThink I'm reporting the same thing. 

quickmic

I uploaded a 8.X version for emby server beta >= .27

I'll not backport those fixes till modifications are proper tested.

So this remains the stable version for all Emby servers up to beta .19

• Like 1

djhifi
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

I uploaded a 8.X version for emby server beta >= .27

I'll not backport those fixes till modifications are proper tested.

So this remains the stable version for all Emby servers up to beta .19

So still not recommended to upgrade to .27 while using 7.x.x regarding the init sync being fixed?

Supposedely, Darwun tested on 7.x and the init sync is finally working again on default paging it seems.

Edited by djhifi

quickmic
3 minutes ago, djhifi said:

So still not recommended to upgrade to .27 while using 7.x.x regarding the init sync being fixed?

No I don't recommend using .27, no matter if you use 7.X or 8.X

If you wish you can try, but take a FULL Emby server backup, otherwise rollback is not possible!

But surly, you can also use 8.X for Emby server stable or beta <=.19.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1