embyforkodi (next-gen) 7.X.X support

quickmic

Hi,

with Data Folder i mean the shares on my NAS, i added these with network browsing /smb path (eg. smb://192.168.0.40/video/Serien as directory path) to a (movie /tv) library in emby. This caused a very slow image loading during libary browsing in Kodi on all of my clients. Now i mounted the shares via nfs to the emby server device, and used local pathes (eg. /media/movie) to setup the libraries. Now Image loading is faster than before with a MySQL Setup, at least on the Coreelec Kodi clients. Just the Windows client (with a clean setup) seems to need much more time to load the images during library browsing. But iirc the SQL Setup was not faster on Windows. I think the smb protocol is not really a good choice for transfer small size files like the images.

There are some other issues on windows, but i think this is Kodi related, eg. during library browsing mouse over a image will show the image, moving the mouse to another on let the other image disappear till i scroll it down (out of view) and back. But iirc a SQL Setup have the same behavior on Windows.

I will play around with my Windows setup the next days, maybe i can enclose the slow image loading abit.

quickmic
1 hour ago, Andy2k said:

There are some other issues on windows, but i think this is Kodi related, eg. during library browsing mouse over a image will show the image, moving the mouse to another on let the other image disappear till i scroll it down (out of view) and back. But iirc a SQL Setup have the same behavior on Windows.

Yep, that's a caching issue. Once loaded it should be fine. I try to improve artwork loading, maybe I can improve something.

quickmic
4 hours ago, quickmic said:

Yep, that's a caching issue. Once loaded it should be fine. I try to improve artwork loading, maybe I can improve something.

The skin was not refreshed after init sync (or library added). This is at least part of the issue. Will also be fixed in next version.

TheOverseer
On 01/09/2022 at 13:58, quickmic said:

You could change the view.

I'll wait a few more responses and see what's the feedback.

If it's also negative I'll roll it back and the artwork matter is once and for all closed. In other words, this is the final call for users reporting what's better.

View in 7.7.6 or view in 7.7.7

After this "survey" artwork changes are no longer accepted and I'll turn that stuff into a dictatorship 😉

I preferred the way the artwork was handled in 7.7.6, if I'm honest. 

• Like 1

quickmic
1 minute ago, TheOverseer said:

I preferred the way the artwork was handled in 7.7.6, if I'm honest. 

ok, currently 2 votes for 7.7.6, zero for 7.7.7

Mookdog
4 hours ago, quickmic said:

ok, currently 2 votes for 7.7.6, zero for 7.7.7

Hey I vote either way as long as its functional thats all that matters. Whatever way u see fit @quickmic I am good with.

Mook

• Like 2

quickmic

New version available 7.7.8:

delta changelog:

fix duplicate track# for songs in database
fix music album remove issue
fix genre node charecter limit
fix skin reload on init sync (and library added)
add selection for episode poster assignment
add translations
add "reuselanguageinvoker" parameter to addon.xml

comment:

episode artwork can be adjusted to episode (kodi poster) is assigned to episode (Emby primary) - default OR

episode (kodi poster) is assigned to series (Emby primary)

Changing the parameter requires db reset -> review help text in plugin config menu

• Like 2

I have noticed a strange behaviour. Next episode and Costum Next episode are sorted differently without me having done any special sorting.

In addition, the status viewed (up to a certain episode) is not displayed for the custom next episode. Can you recreate this. I have reset everything and also deleted the cache.  

image.thumb.png.efa64f368ae452617f47b65d668f54ed.png

Edited by Seger

quickmic
7 hours ago, Seger said:

I have noticed a strange behaviour. Next episode and Costum Next episode are sorted differently without me having done any special sorting.

In addition, the status viewed (up to a certain episode) is not displayed for the custom next episode. Can you recreate this. I have reset everything and also deleted the cache.  

image.thumb.png.efa64f368ae452617f47b65d668f54ed.png

I'll check that, could be a bug.

Sinnedyam
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

I'll check that, could be a bug.

Seems to be. I have noticed some similar behavior. Because I always use next episode all the time, it never gets marked as watched, nor does it show the episode that follows. for example: in the next episodes01e03 is displayed. After I have seen E03, s01e04 should be displayed there. But it is still e03 and it is still marked as unwatched.

• Like 1

quickmic

The progress info has indeed an issue. Will be fixed in next version.

The order is correct on my setup. Please use the views from plugin menu -> run (nodes) for review. Skins can overwrite the default node order, which seems to be correct. Review not finished yet. Do you know the sort order from Emby server?

To my knowledge, it's based on last played of the "previous episode" watched. IF the last played date is identical for two or more cases, the plugin cannot order them properly.

I don't go any deeper into details, this requires very good knowledge how things work under the hood. Only one addition info. Kodi has timestamp accuracy in seconds while Emby uses a much "higher" timestamp resolution.

Edited by quickmic

On 9/6/2022 at 12:31 PM, quickmic said:

New version available 7.7.8:

delta changelog:

fix music album remove issue
fix genre node charecter limit
fix skin reload on init sync (and library added)

Works, thx. Image loading in Kodi (Windows) is much faster, but still have some caching issue. 

I agree, the caching is not yet back to the level of the 6... version. I find the 7... Version is faster in adding and also the intro function is great, but somehow the 6... version is faster at caching, which is the case both when adding new content and when scrolling through the media libraries. I've already mentioned it several times, but the behaviour regarding episodes and the wide display of fanart still feels better in the 6...er version after a period of getting used to it.

Regarding the status messages that are passed on by the server, I would be happy to have an option so that you can hide them, is that possible?

I had posted a modified version of the intro skip button, will you include it as an option? It simply uses the Next Up plugin, which is usually always installed.

I read in the other thread that you don't want to backport the intro skip because it would require too many code changes, can you maybe check that again? I think then I would even stay on the 6.er version, until we have eliminated together in the 7th version still some anomalies.

Best regards

Seger 

Hi again;)

I have tried to re-arange some of the category widgets on a Estuary skin top view for movies and tv-shows with the library node editor and also tried it with direct editing the display oder in the library/*xml files

Eg. i wanted to show the  Sets/Boxsets right after "recently added".

But it looks like emby for kodi nextgen (latest version) always reset these nodes to the default order value when the addon loads.

Is this  intentionally?

Andreas 

quickmic
5 hours ago, Andy2k said:

Hi again;)

I have tried to re-arange some of the category widgets on a Estuary skin top view for movies and tv-shows with the library node editor and also tried it with direct editing the display oder in the library/*xml files

Eg. i wanted to show the  Sets/Boxsets right after "recently added".

But it looks like emby for kodi nextgen (latest version) always reset these nodes to the default order value when the addon loads.

Is this  intentionally?

Andreas 

It resets the nodes after plugin reinstall, settings reset etc but not on each Kodi start. However, this is something on the agenda.

quickmic
19 hours ago, Seger said:

I agree, the caching is not yet back to the level of the 6... version. I find the 7... Version is faster in adding and also the intro function is great, but somehow the 6... version is faster at caching, which is the case both when adding new content and when scrolling through the media libraries. I've already mentioned it several times, but the behaviour regarding episodes and the wide display of fanart still feels better in the 6...er version after a period of getting used to it.

Regarding the status messages that are passed on by the server, I would be happy to have an option so that you can hide them, is that possible?

I had posted a modified version of the intro skip button, will you include it as an option? It simply uses the Next Up plugin, which is usually always installed.

I read in the other thread that you don't want to backport the intro skip because it would require too many code changes, can you maybe check that again? I think then I would even stay on the 6.er version, until we have eliminated together in the 7th version still some anomalies.

Best regards

Seger 

I'll add the alternative skip into message box (as an option) in next version. fyi, if enabled it will break almost every other skin. Even if you don't care, maybe you understand that I CANNOT program the plugin FOR YOU ONLY.

I'll add the fanart -> thumbnail overwrite (as an option) for next-up-episode even (when enabled) it does NOT FOLLOW the Kodi "standard". Artwork view is actually the SKINS RESPONSIBILITY to select fanart. However, as mentioned I'll add an overwrite option as a WORKAROUND for an actual skin issue.

Also I will not backport the skip intro to 6.x, that's a fact.

About caching. 6.x. and 7.x uses the same artwork methods. Only the "cache all artwork" method is rewritten and it's much faster as in 6.x.

I'll review "general" artwork loading once again.

I'll also add an option to hide the Emby server messages, but not the sync delay ops which are related to this messages.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, quickmic said:

I'll add the alternative skip into message box (as an option) in next version. fyi, if enabled it will break almost every other skin. Even if you don't care, maybe you understand that I CANNOT program the plugin FOR YOU ONLY.

I'll add the fanart -> thumbnail overwrite (as an option) for next-up-episode even (when enabled) it does NOT FOLLOW the Kodi "standard". Artwork view is actually the SKINS RESPONSIBILITY to select fanart. However, as mentioned I'll add an overwrite option as a WORKAROUND for an actual skin issue.

Also I will not backport the skip intro to 6.x, that's a fact.

About caching. 6.x. and 7.x uses the same artwork methods. Only the "cache all artwork" method is rewritten and it's much faster as in 6.x.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, I think a lot of users will be happy to get these curved options and thank you very much for this balancing act! 

Looking only forward from now on and thank you for the outlook:

9 hours ago, quickmic said:

I'll review "general" artwork loading once again.

I'll also add an option to hide the Emby server messages, but not the sync delay ops which are related to this messages.

OK, that's great too, and thanks! I'll see what other messages come through.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

• Like 1

quickmic
21 hours ago, Seger said:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, I think a lot of users will be happy to get these curved options and thank you very much for this balancing act! 

Looking only forward from now on and thank you for the outlook:

OK, that's great too, and thanks! I'll see what other messages come through.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Ok, question. I checked once again Embuary skin.

What I figured out (not confirmed yet). Embuary shows (Kodi) fanart (maybe landscape) and if not available, fallback is (Kodi) thumb. I assume you don't have fanart/landscape assigned?

So makes no sense to overwrite (Kodi) thumbs with (Kodi) poster. Should be, if no (Kodi) fanart available assign (Kodi) poster as fallback.

Should this be done "globally" or just for "next-up"?

Please review my findings and tell me EXACTLY in CORRECT terms what you need.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
On 9/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, embyL0VER said:

I think the tricky part is that for episodes some views / widgets needs the emby episode thumb but sometimes need the emby series thumb. And yeah if you want to copy the look/behaviour exactly like emby than for episode views/widgets in kodi which are using "emby tvshow thumb / Kodi landscape" the fallback for should be "emby tvshow backdrop/background = kodi fanart". But don't know if this is so easy to handle.

Global overwrite (for all content):

# Fallbacks
    if not item['KodiArtwork']['thumb']:
        if item['KodiArtwork']['poster']:
            item['KodiArtwork']['thumb'] = item['KodiArtwork']['poster']

if not item['KodiArtwork']['thumb']:
            if 'fanart' in item['KodiArtwork']["fanart"]:
                item['KodiArtwork']['thumb'] = item['KodiArtwork']["fanart"]["fanart"]

Which means if no Kodi-thumb assign Kodi-poster.

If Kodi-poster also not available another fallback to Kodi-fanart.

Kodi:

Main assignment: thumb (assigned according content specific according to ImageTagsMapping (see below)). In case of episodes Kodi-thumb = Emby-Primary but overwritten if Emby-Thumb available.

Fallbacks:

kodi-thumb -> kodi-poster -> kodi-fanart

=

Emby-thumb -> Emby-primary -> Emby-Backdrop

ImageTagsMapping = {
    "Series": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb', 'landscape')},
    "Season": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "Episode": {'Primary': ('thumb', 'poster', 'landscape'), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "Movie": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb', 'landscape')},
    "BoxSet": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb', 'landscape')},
    "Video": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "MusicArtist": {'Primary': ('thumb', 'poster'), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "MusicAlbum": {'Primary': ('thumb', 'poster'), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "Audio": {'Primary': ('thumb', 'poster'), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "MusicVideo": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "Photo": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "PhotoAlbum": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "Folder": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "TvChannel": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb',)},
    "Trailer": {'Primary': ('poster',), "Art": ('clearart',), "Banner": ('banner',), "Disc": ('discart',), "Logo": ('clearlogo',), "Thumb": ('thumb', 'landscape')}
}

Let me know if I'm wrong. There are already too many fallbacks in place.

Edited by quickmic

embyL0VER

Yeah I think what @Seger want ist the following (only for next-up episode)

Fallbacks: kodi-fanart -> kodi-thump

This is somehow what emby is doing for next up episodes. It uses landscape (emby series thumb) as main picture for "wide widgets" and as fallback the (emby series background/fanart) not the emby primary episode picture.

And yes you are right the poster thing is obsolete and maybe you can remove that option again.

quickmic
1 minute ago, embyL0VER said:

Yeah I think what @Seger want ist the following (only for next-up episode)

Fallbacks: kodi-fanart -> kodi-thump

This is somehow what emby is doing for next up episodes. It uses landscape (emby series thumb) as main picture for "wide widgets" and as fallback the (emby series background/fanart) not the emby primary episode picture.

And yes you are right the poster thing is obsolete and maybe you can remove that option again.

Ok, he should please confirm that.

Also it's open if it should be a fallback or an overwrite.

• Agree 1

quickmic

btw, also consider the skin/Kodi has fallbacks too. Actually, I don't wanna review the embuary skin any longer. Therefore I need exact instruction what is expected.

Feel free to modify the python mapping code. That's not hard and you can perform your own tests.

The fallback are more tricky to modify. Therefore you need python knowledge, but the mapping table is just an array.

fyi, each modification requires a re-sync including wiping all cached artwork.

I already spend several hours reviewing the skin. Now it's up to you guys.

Ps:

Maybe remove all artwork from next-up episodes. This should trigger the Skin-related fallbacks (whatever they are).

Edited by quickmic

embyL0VER

Yeah he needs to confirm that but overwrite means what exactly? The normal landscape/series-thumb should be the first/main picture and if not present than fallback to the others.

Basically all should be as it is only change is fallback to series-background-fanart and not episode-primary and that for the next-up widget. 🤣 If I understand him correctly.

For me it is good like it was I doesn't really recognised that emby will do it that way. For the normal logic episode-primary seems to be the right way. But I think emby does this for a constant look. As the series background always look the same like the series thumb. But just guessing here 

Edited by embyL0VER

quickmic

Overwrite means even if an a specific artwork exists e.g. thumb, overwrite by something else e.g. fanart.

Fallback means only use fanart if  thumb not available .

• Thanks 1