embyforkodi (next-gen) 7.X.X support

quickmic

embyL0VER

Oh hell than I think overwrite emby-episode-primary with emby-series-background but only for next-up widget and only as fallback if emby-series-thumb(landscape) doesn't exist.🤣

I'm starting to hate artwork too...

quickmic
14 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

Oh hell than I think overwrite emby-episode-primary with emby-series-background but only for next-up widget and only as fallback if emby-series-thumb(landscape) doesn't exist.🤣

I'm starting to hate artwork too...

But in this case I would remove the episode artwork completely and let the skin use it's fallbacks (I assume skin fallbacks are tvshow artwork). Assigning images from different content is not easy once it's synced and I cannot/will not (globally) overwrite while sync cause every node/view will be affected and this messes up everything.

Yes, artwork is a nightmare. Global fallbacks are already bad enough but on node bases it's even more tricky. Therefore you and Seger must provide me with instructions.

Edited by quickmic
  • Agree 1

embyL0VER

I really don't want to give you instructions on how you maintain the plugin. For me I understand you doing a more universal approach for this plugin and I'm fine with it. 

I think in the past developer of this plugin (I think angel-blue) and developer of the embuary skin (sualfred) working together for creating a good looking copy of emby itself. 

And I think a more universal approach is good to have more flexibility and such things.

Edited by embyL0VER

quickmic
8 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

I really don't want to give you instructions on how you maintain the plugin. For me I understand you doing a more universal approach for this plugin and I'm fine with it. 

I think in the past developer of this plugin (I think angel-blue) and developer of the embuary skin (sualfred) working together for creating a good looking copy of emby itself. 

And I think a more universal approach is good to have more flexibility and such things.

In the past the next-up was always a dynamic node. I even think if you use the next-up dynamic node, it uses the artwork (fallbacks) like on Emby server.

The synced node uses Kodi's library and is much faster but uses Kodi's functionalities. What you and Seger trying is "simulating" Emby's artwork with Kodi functions and that is not always possible without major workarounds.

Kodi has more or less a standard artwork assignment in the database. In best of all worlds, the plugin assigns a Emby-thumb to Kodi-thumb, Emby-primary as Kodi-poster etc.

From this point on, Kodi/Kodi skins should be in charge and not the plugins duty.

However, this is sometimes not what users expects from the views.

I hate fallbacks implemented in the next-gen plugin cause it makes the code unreadable and nobody (even me) does exactly know what  happens in a very specific case.

It depends on so many variables, starting what artwork is available on Emby server, how it's synced to KodiDB, what are the fallbacks from the Kodi-skin and so on...

embyL0VER
On 9/13/2022 at 5:18 PM, quickmic said:

In the past the next-up was always a dynamic node. I even think if you use the next-up dynamic node, it uses the artwork (fallbacks) like on Emby server.

I've just checked that and yeah I'm using the next-up widget (node) from embuary helper and indeed there were some inconsistencies. But the node from your plugin (besides from the progress info) is perfectly fine in case of sorting exactly like in emby.

However I see some other thing....  

The Showtitle and Episode title are switched... But I don't know if this is something that needs to be fixed.

Edited by embyL0VER
Removed Images and associated text.

quickmic
15 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

I've just checked that and yeah I'm using the next-up widget (node) from embuary helper and indeed there were some inconsistencies. But the node from your plugin (besides from the progress info) is perfectly fine in case of sorting exactly like in emby.

However I see some other thing....  

The Showtitle and Episode title are switched... But I don't know if this is something that needs to be fixed.

In the following screenshot the first widget (Als nächstes) is from embuary helper and has the wrong sorting of episodes (doesn't match the emby server sorting) but has the correct order of showtitle and episodetitle. (If correct means, like emby itself it shows.) Just showing, I know this is not your fault @quickmic

The second widget (Nächste Episode) is from emby-next-gen plugin and has a perfectly fine sorting of episodes (match the sorting of emby server) but order of showtitle and episodetitle are switched. And yeah progress bars are missing but I think that was something you aware of.

IMG_20220913_175713.thumb.jpg.64d66295a123289b19dbd678f4e59456.jpg

Yes I also know there are inconsistencies in sort order. I could reproduce them for one case and there is nothing I could do.

My case was:

The "wrongly" sorted episodes had (according to Kodi "standard") the identical (last played) timestamps. Kodi timestamps are based on seconds. So timestamp (Kodi-accuracy second) is identical.

Same Kodi timestamp == random order for the affected episodes.

Emby uses unixtime (much more accurate, microseconds?).

In simple terms.

Kodi 2022-09-12 13:44:55

Emby 2022-09-12 13:44:55.1975474

So Emby can order them more accurate. Usually happens when you select content as watched, cause this will update the lastplayed (DB) records in milliseconds. So Kodi standard will have all the same seconds in the timestamps, ergo Kodi cannot order them like Emby -> identical timestamp.

If you have a different case (not related to identical timestamps), let me know and I'll review them.

Edited by quickmic

embyL0VER

No no don't get me wrong in my case the sorting of the emby-next-gen node is correct. Only the show title and episode title are switched.

Meaning show title under episode title. But as I said don't know if this is something that has to be fixed.

quickmic
11 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

No no don't get me wrong in my case the sorting of the emby-next-gen node is correct. Only the show title and episode title are switched.

Meaning show title under episode title. But as I said don't know if this is something that has to be fixed.

I can check that, maybe wrong dynamic node metadata assignment, but this cannot be unique to next-up. All (at least episode) dynamic nodes must be affected.

embyL0VER

Yes, you are right. Every episode widget/node even custom episode playlists used as widget will show the episode title in the first row. This seems to be Kodi standard. I guess...

• Like 1

quickmic
1 minute ago, embyL0VER said:

Yes, you are right. Every episode widget/node even custom episode playlists used as widget will show the episode title in the first row. This seems to be Kodi standard. I guess...

I'll check that

feerlessleadr

Hi quickmic - 2 items for me.

1. I'm terms of the artwork discussion (which admittedly I'm quite late to), for what it's worth, whatever you end up deciding, I'm good with that. 

2. I think I have found a big in 7.7.8 (not sure if it's in previous versions) where for dynamic nodes (i.e. I have a node on emby that is just a bunch of downloaded YouTube videos), watched progress and watched status is not saved locally on Kodi, and is not synced to the emby server.

When I start a video in that dynamic node, stop half way though (or finish it), Kodi doesn't report that the video as in progress, and if I finish, Kodi doesn't show the video as watched. Similarly, emby is not updated for either scenario as well.

I will grab a log of this when I get home tonight, but wanted to report in the meantime.

Thanks again for your hard work with this! 

5 hours ago, embyL0VER said:

Der normale Landschafts-/Serien-Thumb sollte das erste/Hauptbild sein und wenn nicht vorhanden, dann auf die anderen zurückgreifen.

Grundsätzlich sollte alles sein, da es nur eine Änderung ist, die auf Serien-Hintergrund-Fanart und nicht auf Episoden-Primär und das für das Next-Up-Widget zurückzuführen ist. 🤣 Wenn ich ihn richtig verstehe.

Thank you, I think you understood exactly what I meant. With so much work to do, I'm a little afraid I'll say the wrong thing. But yes exactly, I would see it as a fallback, if a picture (landscape.jpg) for the next episode is available in Quer, that should also be set, otherwise the fanart.jpg of the series.

quickmic
8 hours ago, Seger said:

Thank you, I think you understood exactly what I meant. With so much work to do, I'm a little afraid I'll say the wrong thing. But yes exactly, I would see it as a fallback, if a picture (landscape.jpg) for the next episode is available in Quer, that should also be set, otherwise the fanart.jpg of the series.

Ok, then I'll do what I think you want but please don't tell me next time, it's will be wrong again.

btw, my research indicated, the view shows kodi-tvshow-thumb as default and if not available it uses should use kodi-tvshow-fanart but currently uses kodi-episode-thumb.

Edited by quickmic
  • Agree 1

unmovable

Is there a way to hide thumbnails for unwatched episodes to prevent spoilers?

This was working fine on v6 (TV show poster was used for unwatched episodes and real thumbnail was set after watching), on v7, all episode thumbnails are displayed, even with relevant kodi setting enabled

unmovable
1 hour ago, unmovable said:

Is there a way to hide thumbnails for unwatched episodes to prevent spoilers?

This was working fine on v6 (TV show poster was used for unwatched episodes and real thumbnail was set after watching), on v7, all episode thumbnails are displayed, even with relevant kodi setting enabled

This is the setting. Looks like it's completely ignored in v7, but works on v6. Tried versions 7.7.6 and 7.7.8. Also, on 7.7.8 I tried using the episode/show poster setting with db reset and both of them produced same results - all episode thumbnails are dipslayed for watched & unwatched.

2022-09-16_23-31.png

quickmic
3 minutes ago, unmovable said:

This is the setting. Looks like it's completely ignored in v7, but works on v6. Tried versions 7.7.6 and 7.7.8. Also, on 7.7.8 I tried using the episode/show poster setting with db reset and both of them produced same results - all episode thumbnails are dipslayed for watched & unwatched.

2022-09-16_23-31.png

I'm currently rewriting the complete artwork, please hold on.

feerlessleadr
On 9/13/2022 at 2:34 PM, feerlessleadr said:

Hi quickmic - 2 items for me.

1. I'm terms of the artwork discussion (which admittedly I'm quite late to), for what it's worth, whatever you end up deciding, I'm good with that. 

2. I think I have found a big in 7.7.8 (not sure if it's in previous versions) where for dynamic nodes (i.e. I have a node on emby that is just a bunch of downloaded YouTube videos), watched progress and watched status is not saved locally on Kodi, and is not synced to the emby server.

When I start a video in that dynamic node, stop half way though (or finish it), Kodi doesn't report that the video as in progress, and if I finish, Kodi doesn't show the video as watched. Similarly, emby is not updated for either scenario as well.

I will grab a log of this when I get home tonight, but wanted to report in the meantime.

Thanks again for your hard work with this! 

Just quoting this to see if I'm doing something wrong. 

quickmic
7 minutes ago, feerlessleadr said:

Just quoting this to see if I'm doing something wrong. 

It's on my todo list, also please hold on. I had no time for review yet. Artwork review and skin tests takes a lot of time and this is currently prio one.

• Thanks 1

quickmic
8 minutes ago, aaearon said:

Is there a repo we can add to Kodi for 7.x versus needing to manually install from zip?

Yes, sideload is possible directly via Kodi (without repo).

Community, please elaborate. Quite busy at the moment, thanks.

feerlessleadr
25 minutes ago, quickmic said:

It's on my todo list, also please hold on. I had no time for review yet. Artwork review and skin tests takes a lot of time and this is currently prio one.

No prob, take your time. Thanks! 

• Like 1

embyL0VER
11 hours ago, quickmic said:

Yes, sideload is possible directly via Kodi (without repo).

Community, please elaborate. Quite busy at the moment, thanks.

11 hours ago, aaearon said:

Is there a repo we can add to Kodi for 7.x versus needing to manually install from zip?

If you add "http://kodi.emby.media"

to the sources in kodi file manager you can simply browse through "Public testing" folder and install/copy any zip directly from that folder within Kodi.

• Like 1

Yeah, that is what I am doing now. I was wondering if there was a repo we can add so that we automatically get new versions of 7.x similar to what is there with 6.x.

If it is not there yet, not a problem.

quickmic
55 minutes ago, aaearon said:

Yeah, that is what I am doing now. I was wondering if there was a repo we can add so that we automatically get new versions of 7.x similar to what is there with 6.x.

If it is not there yet, not a problem.

No, 7.x are not in repos. Still too much under development.

quickmic

New version available 7.8.0:

Delta changelog:

Fix progress info for some nodes
Fix sort order for next up episodes for dynamic nodes
Fix duplicate songs for song update
fix next-up edge case issue
fix music album, song and artist update issues
add select option for skip-intro notification
add hide option for server messages
fix music sortname issue
fix webservice connection issue
rewrite artwork loading code. Kodi gets binary data directly from plugin's webservice instead of a redirection URL
fix skin reload issues
rewrite artwork loading
change artwork mappings
rewrite startup code (faster webservice init)

Comment:

Database reset is mandatory. Also reset artwork when asked, could work without but NOT tested!
Due to many changes in the code, please keep an eye on anything odd. Especially sleep mode.
Native mode not tested yet, but I don't expect any issues which are unique to this mode.

Embuary:

I performed lot's of test with this skin.
Artwork should be fine, keep in mind this skin does not benefit from next-gen plugin nodes by default. (skin modificatations should be used) Please DON'T drop skin related questions in the main next-gen thread.
Open a new thread for such cases!
Also I suffered several crashes on startup which are NOT related to the next-gen plugin.
However, a Kodi restart should cover the skin/helper issues and I added several "workaround" for this skin.
Also, keep the next-gen skin-reload option disabled (now by default off) for Embuary otherwise will crash/be unstable.

Todo:

(startup) nodes reset, code-rewrite

• Thanks 1