embyforkodi (next-gen) 7.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic
4 minutes ago, Seger said:

Then another issue, my library is very large and I don't get all the images displayed after artwork caching. What exactly do you need from me to analyse the "problem"? 

image.png.0a78a564823c4b794ecdeafff140da5c.png 

kodi.log 70.15 kB · 0 downloads

Try Skin reload. Plugin menu -> configureation -> interface -> reload skin

Seger

This does not solve the problem with the missing displays. Furthermore, I get the message "server busy" from time to time, which did not exist before.

Seger

small correction, the reload of the skin works when I see the missing posters and then force refresh the skin, but only for the posters that I see. It is not done globally but only for the ones I see. Since the library is large and there are several faulty displays, this is very time-consuming.

Seger
27 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Die Knoten „in progress episodes“ oder „in progress tvshows“ sollten die Aufgabe erledigen.

I don't get it, I read your dialogue and I understood that you say it shows globally on episode pictures, but Emby in the original version doesn't show it globally like that. On the image you see Emby next with the series images and not the individual episode images. If I show posters, then the covers are shown, but as I said, you see Emby in the original version where the episodes in the first overview go to series pictures. If I go into the season, then episodes should be displayed, which would be correct. Sorry, I also read that it was a stupid topic for you before :-).

Edited by Seger

quickmic
46 minutes ago, Seger said:

Furthermore, I get the message "server busy" from time to time, which did not exist before.

Yes, server is busy, sync is pause -> Scanning in progress on server. New on 7.X and prevents sync issues. This is nothing to worry, and Kodi sync will resume when Enby server completes its tasks.

quickmic
43 minutes ago, Seger said:

small correction, the reload of the skin works when I see the missing posters and then force refresh the skin, but only for the posters that I see. It is not done globally but only for the ones I see. Since the library is large and there are several faulty displays, this is very time-consuming.

Seems the artwork cache was not correct. Re trigger cache and select delete all artwork. Do it in stages for large libraries. e.g. unselect people in the first run etc.

quickmic
52 minutes ago, Seger said:

I don't get it, I read your dialogue and I understood that you say it shows globally on episode pictures, but Emby in the original version doesn't show it globally like that. On the image you see Emby next with the series images and not the individual episode images. If I show posters, then the covers are shown, but as I said, you see Emby in the original version where the episodes in the first overview go to series pictures. If I go into the season, then episodes should be displayed, which would be correct. Sorry, I also read that it was a stupid topic for you before :-).

No sure if I can explain it better as already did.

The "next episode" node/widget lists episodes. If you select an item in this view it plays an episode (directly), ergo -> episode content.

compare it with the "in progress TV Shows" node. It lists TV Shows and NOT playing an episode directly. If you select an "in progress TVShow" you got "season selection" as next screen, egro -> a TV Show node.

Episode nodes should display episode artwork like any other episode node.

Compare it with "in progress episode node". It behaves same as "next episode" node cause it's also an episode based content node.

What you want is, that a episode node shows different artwork for this special occasion.

I could go deeper and explain why it was differently in the past. But this is very technically and makes no sense at this point.

However, as mentioned. I don't know why this was done in the first place in the past. Makes no sense to me. Episode nodes should always show episode artwork. -> consistency. I'll not change the global pattern for some "odd" reasons.

EDIT:

let me know if you mean something different? We can also speak German, but please open a different topic in this case. This thread should stick to English.

Edited by quickmic

59 minutes ago, quickmic said:

No sure if I can explain it better as already did.

The "next episode" node/widget lists episodes. If you select an item in this view it plays an episode (directly), ergo -> episode content.

compare it with the "in progress TV Shows" node. It lists TV Shows and NOT playing an episode directly. If you select an "in progress TVShow" you got "season selection" as next screen, egro -> a TV Show node.

Episode nodes should display episode artwork like any other episode node.

Compare it with "in progress episode node". It behaves same as "next episode" node cause it's also an episode based content node.

What you want is, that a episode node shows different artwork for this special occasion.

I could go deeper and explain why it was differently in the past. But this is very technically and makes no sense at this point.

However, as mentioned. I don't know why this was done in the first place in the past. Makes no sense to me. Episode nodes should always show episode artwork. -> consistency. I'll not change the global pattern for some "odd" reasons.

EDIT:

let me know if you mean something different? We can also speak German, but please open a different topic in this case. This thread should stick to English.

I’m one who also enjoyed episode nodes showing season/show artwork. Regardless of why it was like that in the past, for me it made it easier and quicker to identify the show I want to continue watching, rather than an episode image which can often times be so vague it’s harder to spot. It also just looked prettier imo, as then everything was in line visually. Not saying it should be one way or another, but an option to toggle between episode or show/season artwork would be good, if possible.

Seger
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Ja, der Server ist ausgelastet, die Synchronisierung ist angehalten -> Scannen auf dem Server läuft. Neu in 7.X und verhindert Synchronisierungsprobleme. Dies ist kein Grund zur Sorge, und die Kodi-Synchronisierung wird fortgesetzt, wenn der Enby-Server seine Aufgaben abgeschlossen hat.

Okay, you can switch off the message via options, then it will be like that in the short term.

quickmic
5 minutes ago, smernt said:

I’m one who also enjoyed episode nodes showing season/show artwork. Regardless of why it was like that in the past, for me it made it easier and quicker to identify the show I want to continue watching, rather than an episode image which can often times be so vague it’s harder to spot. It also just looked prettier imo, as then everything was in line visually. Not saying it should be one way or another, but an option to toggle between episode or show/season artwork would be good, if possible.

How about this:

next-episode-2022-08-29_12.58.41.mkv

Seger

This is an option that the skin offers, but not every skin offers this, I don't think it's so good :-). You wrote the following:

"However, as I said. I don't know why this was done in the past at all. Makes no sense to me. Episode nodes should always show episode graphs. -> Consistency. I'm not going to change the global pattern for "strange" reasons."

I think somehow we contradict each other a bit here. Look, this is what it looks like in Emby's core:

image.thumb.png.f34af0141832c0733bdb0afb186f7482.png

In my view, this is exactly how it should look globally in Kodi. And in Emby I can also press play directly ;-).

Seger
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Anscheinend war der Artwork-Cache nicht korrekt. Lösen Sie den Cache erneut aus und wählen Sie „Alle Grafiken löschen“. Führen Sie dies bei großen Bibliotheken schrittweise durch. B. Personen im ersten Durchlauf abwählen usw.

But that is always a huge effort. My thumbnails folder is 12GB and takes forever. I have already done exactly as you suggested 
Should I turn anything on or watch if I do it all over again to find the error?

Delete Texture.db, Thumbnails folder etc. and then set Debug?

Seger

Hey you,

before it goes down here, thanks for everything!!! As you can see, I'm getting very deep into it now and testing everything. It's offtopic, as I see it's not your addon, but can you help if necessary? I get an error from script.embuary.helper when calling movies. It looks like it can't jump back to the previous movie I was at: 

Spoiler
2022-08-29 13:36:13.306 T:10852   ERROR <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'RuntimeError'>
                                                   Error Contents: Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::getInfoLabel"
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 70, in <module>
                                                       Main()
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 21, in __init__
                                                       self.getinfos()
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 54, in getinfos
                                                       self._execute(plugin,self.info)
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 62, in _execute
                                                       getattr(plugin,action.lower())()
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\resources\lib\plugin_content.py", line 1006, in jumptoletter
                                                       all_letters.append(xbmc.getInfoLabel('Listitem(%s).SortLetter' % i).upper())
                                                   RuntimeError: Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::getInfoLabel"

Then I noticed another little thing. In Emby Core, a different film is listed first than in Kodi, is it sorted differently here?

Emby:

image.thumb.png.fa937c4f7556bd3ee3a87e6b48b7df1f.png

Kodi:

image.thumb.png.2bbf3e078785597c0aa08d4b330244c9.png

kodi.log kodi_stacktrace-19.4 Git_20220302-e12e66e019-20220829-133623.txt

quickmic
7 minutes ago, Seger said:

This is an option that the skin offers, but not every skin offers this, I don't think it's so good :-). You wrote the following:

"However, as I said. I don't know why this was done in the past at all. Makes no sense to me. Episode nodes should always show episode graphs. -> Consistency. I'm not going to change the global pattern for "strange" reasons."

I think somehow we contradict each other a bit here. Look, this is what it looks like in Emby's core:

image.thumb.png.f34af0141832c0733bdb0afb186f7482.png

In my view, this is exactly how it should look globally in Kodi. And in Emby I can also press play directly ;-).

First of all, are you familiar with Kodi's artwork, views etc and how they actually work (together)?

Yes I could change the poster view (I hope you know what's the impact if I do so). Frankly if I change it once again, I'm 99% sure somebody else will complain within days why I broke his/her view.

But if you guys insist, I'll change it once again even I'm not sure what's the benefit here. Changing the view should be possible on every (custom) skin from poster view (what you are using) to something else.

quickmic
6 minutes ago, Seger said:

Hey you,

I get an error from script.embuary.helper when calling movies. It looks like it can't jump back to the previous movie I was at:

Hide contents
2022-08-29 13:36:13.306 T:10852   ERROR <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'RuntimeError'>
                                                   Error Contents: Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::getInfoLabel"
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 70, in <module>
                                                       Main()
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 21, in __init__
                                                       self.getinfos()
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 54, in getinfos
                                                       self._execute(plugin,self.info)
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\plugin.py", line 62, in _execute
                                                       getattr(plugin,action.lower())()
                                                     File "C:\Program Files\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.embuary.helper\resources\lib\plugin_content.py", line 1006, in jumptoletter
                                                       all_letters.append(xbmc.getInfoLabel('Listitem(%s).SortLetter' % i).upper())
                                                   RuntimeError: Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::getInfoLabel"

script.embuary.helper is a 3rd party plugin not related to next-gen. Nothing I could do here.

quickmic
9 minutes ago, Seger said:

Then I noticed another little thing. In Emby Core, a different film is listed first than in Kodi, is it sorted differently here?

Emby:

image.thumb.png.fa937c4f7556bd3ee3a87e6b48b7df1f.png

Kodi:

image.thumb.png.2bbf3e078785597c0aa08d4b330244c9.png

kodi.log 67.1 kB · 0 downloads kodi_stacktrace-19.4 Git_20220302-e12e66e019-20220829-133623.txt 34 B · 0 downloads

Change the sort order of the (node) view in Kodi.

Let me know what matches and I'll review the default node settings.

A "wrong" order doesn't necessarily mean, the custom node has wrong "default" parameters. You could change have changed it as well.

Therefore I need to know, what is the correct order and I'll check it.

quickmic
4 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Change the sort order of the (node) view in Kodi.

Let me know what matches and I'll review the default node settings.

A "wrong" order doesn't necessarily mean, the custom node has wrong "default" parameters. You could change have changed it as well.

Therefore I need to know, what is the correct order and I'll check it.

Correction:

I assume It's the alphabetically Name order right? Well it's Kodis responsibility to order the content and I know, it depends on severeal (also OS related) "specialties" what is "alphabetically.

e.g. for Windows it's case insensitive, Linux case sensitive etc. Also here, I don't wanna go into technically details, but what I can tell you. The plugin is not responsible here how to deal with special characters -> what is the sort order in such a case.

Edit:

If you use a date based order etc, I can check.

Edited by quickmic

Seger

Yes exactly, in Emby and Kodi it's alphabetical by name. I think you can trace it back to the film No! I don't know what that special character is supposed to be:

¡ no! but I think it's behind the special characters in Kodi and in front in the original Emby view.

image.thumb.png.a16fdb810923807beb5b16246ea7d37d.png

Edited by Seger

quickmic
48 minutes ago, Seger said:

But that is always a huge effort. My thumbnails folder is 12GB and takes forever. I have already done exactly as you suggested 
Should I turn anything on or watch if I do it all over again to find the error?

Delete Texture.db, Thumbnails folder etc. and then set Debug?

I assume (just assuming!) the skin-helpers has it's own cache.

Now I go into technical details:

The issue appears in the first place, when the skin tried to load an image (which is not cached) while server connection is still not initialized. Therefore the skin should be reloaded after EACH server (re)connection. This is the default setting, unless you have disabled it manually.

After skin refresh the artwork should be fine (you confirmed that).

Under some special circumstances new list views will still not show the images and is not actually related to Kodi's artwork cache or the texture.db cause they are correct.

I assume (once again assuming!) the skin helpers internal cache is still holding the "wrong" data. This is not good and if this happen you can only try to outsmart by wiping the artwork cache once again.

If you find a specific pattern/test case let me know. As mentioned, I had the same problem but a skin reload always fixed the issue.

Seger

Small suggestion for improvement:

In my opinion, "server busy in progress" and "server busy" should be made non-visible with an option. Especially when you have connected clients, this confuses the users in front of the screen. 

quickmic
1 minute ago, Seger said:

Yes exactly, in Emby and Kodi it's alphabetical by name. I think you can trace it back to the film No! I don't know what that special character is supposed to be:

¡ no! but I think it's behind the special characters in Kodi and in front in the original Emby view.

image.thumb.png.a16fdb810923807beb5b16246ea7d37d.png

Ok, but I think you assume one of both is correct and the other is not.

What I tried to explain, neither are right or wrong. Sorting based on special characters is more like a fashion choice. Easy to say an A is before B but who says e.g. a "#" comes after or before a "(".

Windows and Linux doesn't even agree if a capital A is before or after a lower case "a".

e.g.

Linux order:

"a_WHATEVER"

"b_WHATEVER"

"A_WHATEVER"

"B_WHATEVER"

Windows:

"A_WHATEVER"

"a_WHATEVER"

"B_WHATEVER"

"b_WHATEVER"

And (database) SQL ORDER BY is also different and there are many many more options how to sort alphabetically.

Seger
7 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Ich nehme an (nur angenommen!), dass die Skin-Helfer einen eigenen Cache haben.

Jetzt gehe ich auf technische Details ein:

Das Problem tritt an erster Stelle auf, wenn der Skin versucht hat, ein Bild zu laden (das nicht zwischengespeichert ist), während die Serververbindung noch nicht initialisiert ist. Daher sollte der Skin nach JEDER Server-(Wieder-)Verbindung neu geladen werden. Dies ist die Standardeinstellung, es sei denn, Sie haben sie manuell deaktiviert.

Nach der Hautaktualisierung sollte das Artwork in Ordnung sein (das haben Sie bestätigt).

Unter bestimmten Umständen zeigen neue Listenansichten die Bilder immer noch nicht an und beziehen sich nicht wirklich auf den Artwork-Cache von Kodi oder die texture.db, da sie korrekt sind.

Ich nehme an (wieder einmal angenommen!), dass der interne Cache des Skin-Helfers immer noch die "falschen" Daten enthält. Das ist nicht gut und wenn dies passiert, können Sie nur versuchen, ihn auszutricksen, indem Sie den Artwork-Cache erneut löschen.

Wenn Sie ein bestimmtes Muster / einen bestimmten Testfall finden, lassen Sie es mich wissen. Wie bereits erwähnt, hatte ich das gleiche Problem, aber ein Skin-Reload hat das Problem immer behoben.

The individual artwork is then fine and your assumptions are completely correct, it probably won't all be updated then as some are cached as you suspected, I think. Will delete it and watch. What I noticed is that when I'm in the Movies node and reload the skin via the side menu in the node, I can't get to the main menu by clicking on Back but have to click back via the standard Kodi nodes.

Seger
2 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Ok, aber ich denke, Sie gehen davon aus, dass einer von beiden richtig ist und der andere nicht.

Was ich zu erklären versucht habe, ist weder richtig noch falsch. Das Sortieren nach Sonderzeichen ist eher eine Modewahl. Leicht zu sagen, ein A ist vor B, aber wer zB sagt, ein "#" kommt nach oder vor einem "(".

Windows und Linux sind sich nicht einmal einig, ob ein großes A vor oder nach einem kleinen "a" steht.

z.B

Linux-Reihenfolge:

"a_WHATEVER"

"b_WHATEVER"

"A_WHATEVER"

"B_WHATEVER"

Fenster:

"A_WHATEVER"

"a_WHATEVER"

"B_WHATEVER"

"b_WHATEVER"

Und (Datenbank) SQL ORDER BY ist auch anders und es gibt viele, viele weitere Optionen, um alphabetisch zu sortieren.

ne all good, I understood it and simply corrected it in the film. I didn't know the special character at all 🙂

embyL0VER

@seger

for Images in the next Up and in progress widget, you need to have the proper images in the series folder.

So you need "landscape.jpg" to have a constant look. "fanart.jpg" is used if no "landscape.jpg" is found. This is working like it should and looks in Kodi like in emby.

Look in Kodi:

IMG_20220829_150701.thumb.jpg.41565d2dca3216d66f2f934162923ae5.jpg

Look in Emby:

IMG_20220829_150517.thumb.jpg.0b8105a1217c4eebefac77e6f76247da.jpg

But yeah if you update from 6.x. to 7.x. version of emby-next-gen you have to do a full database reset and even have to rebuild your complete thumbnail cache.

So as a hint: in emby "bilder bearbeiten" you have to look for "vorschau = landscape.jpg" and "hintergrund = fanart.jpg"

landscape images are typically the ones with a name of the movie or series in it. While fanart images are typically random images without the show or movie name in it. (Sometimes you will find also images with the show or movie name as fanart but this is not intended.)

Edited by embyL0VER
  • Like 1

quickmic
35 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

@seger

for Images in the next Up and in progress widget, you need to have the proper images in the series folder.

So you need "landscape.jpg" to have a constant look. "fanart.jpg" is used if no "landscape.jpg" is found. This is working like it should and looks in Kodi like in emby.

Look in Kodi:

IMG_20220829_150701.thumb.jpg.41565d2dca3216d66f2f934162923ae5.jpg

Look in Emby:

IMG_20220829_150517.thumb.jpg.0b8105a1217c4eebefac77e6f76247da.jpg

But yeah if you update from 6.x. to 7.x. version of emby-next-gen you have to do a full database reset and even have to rebuild your complete thumbnail cache.

So as a hint: in emby "bilder bearbeiten" you have to look for "vorschau = landscape.jpg" and "hintergrund = fanart.jpg"

landscape images are typically the ones with a name of the movie or series in it. While fanart images are typically random images without the show or movie name in it. (Sometimes you will find also images with the show or movie name as fanart but this is not intended.)

I'll also change episode posters to Series primary. Let's see if this will break somebody's else use case.

• Like 1