DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

djhifi

I'm going to migrate my DSM6 to DSM7 as soon as the update issue with EmbyServer beta release .37 is solved in Synology's github (currently, on DSM6 the only available is .32).

But I have one question regarding the guide in the first page where it says:

- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

My Emby is installed on /Volume6/@appstore/EmbyServer and I have a separate shared folder also on Volume6 (Volume6/Emby) where I store the metadata, the library files, logs, etc.

That "copy" command listed above is to copy the contents from the install folder or the metadata folder?

And also, having that 2nd Emby folder where I store everything, after DSM7 and the new Emby install do I need to point the Metadata Path again to said location in order to not lose my library or how does it work?

Instructions on that part are unclear and I wanted clarification before moving on.

Edited by djhifi

It's using the default install path that most people would have. 

You would need to adjust the commands based on your install locations.
Feel free to ask any questions your not sure of.

The copy command is done at the parent level so it's copying everything.

Carlo.

djhifi
11 hours ago, Carlo said:

It's using the default install path that most people would have. 

You would need to adjust the commands based on your install locations.
Feel free to ask any questions your not sure of.

The copy command is done at the parent level so it's copying everything.

Carlo.

Thanks for such a fast answer. I realize the copy command is done at a parent level. What I'm asking is since I have a dedicated shared folder independent of the Emby install path (altough its on the same disk), that copy command would only copy contents of my current emby server install dir and not the other dir, where I have the .db file, metadata, etc.

Correct?

And if this is true, on the new emby install, all it took was for me to point the metadata folder again in order for it to have everything untouched as it was?

Am I thinking it correctly? @Carlo

I'm not really sure I'm following you.  On DSM6 is the server installed at this location?
/volume1/Emby/

That is the default install path for DSM6.

DSM7 does things completely different, and the default install is going to be:
/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

The volume could be different of course if you have switched the Synology default location.

This has nothing to do with your media library locations which are probably on a different share.

The copy option is needed, otherwise the new DSM7 install location will have non of your current data.

Carlo

Ninja_Gundam
2 hours ago, Carlo said:

The copy option is needed, otherwise the new DSM7 install location will have non of your current data.

Hi about that thing..

What if I leave on old /volume1/Emby/metadata and in options, library i set there the old path instead of /var/@appdata/Embyetc.. ?

I've done all the procedure, all working but seem something wrong with library\metadata associations >_<   catalog preview files are ok and working but blank images, missing my custom edit associations, cover etc.

metadata folder seems ok with them; and library.db is there too.

I just tried to set old path to folders but do not seems to work.

Chooo

No you don't want to play any games and redirect it.
You want to copy it and then set the permissions as shown in the article.

The instructions that are in that article are spot on and have been used hundreds of times.
I've done over 100 upgrades myself.

Just follow the instructions exactly as written using the latest version of Emby and it will work.

I'd run a full library scan before getting too critical with it.

22 hours ago, Ninja_Gundam said:

I've done all the procedure, all working but seem something wrong with library\metadata associations >_<   catalog preview files are ok and working but blank images, missing my custom edit associations, cover etc.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the part I bolded above.
Could you snap a picture and show me what you mean?

Ninja_Gundam
On 6/1/2023 at 11:58 PM, Carlo said:

No you don't want to play any games and redirect it.
You want to copy it and then set the permissions as shown in the article.

The instructions that are in that article are spot on and have been used hundreds of times.
I've done over 100 upgrades myself.

Just follow the instructions exactly as written using the latest version of Emby and it will work.

I'd run a full library scan before getting too critical with it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the part I bolded above.
Could you snap a picture and show me what you mean?

Hi, thanks for the reply fast.

Anyway pretty hard to explain with just pictures 😐 Maybe the better thing to do is redo all the process.

To be clean clean I have to uninstall Emby, delete user Emby and folder "/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer" ? that is all or anything around missing ?

Chooo

2 hours ago, Ninja_Gundam said:

Hi, thanks for the reply fast.

Anyway pretty hard to explain with just pictures 😐 Maybe the better thing to do is redo all the process.

To be clean clean I have to uninstall Emby, delete user Emby and folder "/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer" ? that is all or anything around missing ?

Chooo

That should be enough.

• Thanks 1

You really don't have to do anything except follow the instructions in the PDF.  It covers everything.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
djhifi
On 5/31/2023 at 9:48 PM, Carlo said:

I'm not really sure I'm following you.  On DSM6 is the server installed at this location?
/volume1/Emby/

That is the default install path for DSM6.

DSM7 does things completely different, and the default install is going to be:
/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

The volume could be different of course if you have switched the Synology default location.

This has nothing to do with your media library locations which are probably on a different share.

Carlo

Hello @Carlosorry for the late reply.

My DSM6 Emby is installed on the following location

/volume6/@appstore/EmbyServer

image.png.d20f87dc14dd81517455a1ec8ba86a06.png

My question was not regarding media library locations but instead the .db file.

I thought all my data (regarding the library file, posters, users, etc) was only on the separate shared folder I configured on Emby (and Synology) and not on the install dir+folder of emby itself. Because as you can see by the printscreen above, there is not metadata folder on the Emby Install dir, it's somewhere else.

I should disregard that and copy contents of previous (DSM6) emby install to the new (DSM7) emby install, is that it?

And, if so, what about setting up the metadata path again, would it be needed or Emby on DSM7 picks up all my previously defined settings?

What I'm saying is: my metadata folder is not in the Emby Install folder. Its on the same disk, but on a different folder, outside of it. So how does copying something which isn't there but on other folder...would work?

image.png.0a26134997ce46a3a5e19cb2fff20045.png

Do you understand my doubt now? Or am I confusing something here?

EDIT: I now proceeded up until the part of uninstalling Emby on DSM6 (and did it), and the first screenshot no longer contains the "EmbyServer" folder but the second still has everything.  So if I'm thinking correctly, I have to copy that said folder on /volume6/Emby where I have everything, and not the actual Emby Install folder, since it just got removed.

EDIT2: It's now copying everything, I realized I had mounted the EmbyServer on DSM6 to be accessible through my SMB and that's where my confusion was coming from. 

Edited by djhifi

You're looking in the wrong place.

Not @appstore but @appdata

You want this for the base URL

/volume6/@appdata/EmbyServer

• 3 weeks later...
MedFred

Hello Luke or Carlo,

I have problems to understand the Putty-part of the upgrading of DSM 6 to DSM 7 with an intact Emby. I am a normal user without specific programming skills so "sudo -i" and "chown -R" is like greek to me. Could you please help me find a way to do the upgrade because I would very much like to upgrade to DSM 7, but I have not dared to do it yet because of the many problems that are reported here.

4 hours ago, MedFred said:

Hello Luke or Carlo,

I have problems to understand the Putty-part of the upgrading of DSM 6 to DSM 7 with an intact Emby. I am a normal user without specific programming skills so "sudo -i" and "chown -R" is like greek to me. Could you please help me find a way to do the upgrade because I would very much like to upgrade to DSM 7, but I have not dared to do it yet because of the many problems that are reported here.

Hi, what exactly have you done so far?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 2:05 PM, MedFred said:

Hi, nothing yet. I'm reading the instructions and since I don't understand the Putty-part I don't want to start even. @Carlo

You should be able to just follow the instructions as a lot of people never used putty before and had no problems!

Carlo

PS There is also a video you can watch.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Orlandoech said:

I read 15 pages of the this thread and nothing worked for me. Could I please get someones help?

HI there, what exactly have you done so far?

Orlandoech
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI there, what exactly have you done so far?

Everything to the "T" in post #1 

I also SSH into and ensured all Emby folders were deleted. Then tried to re-installed and copy from my old Emby folder to no avail. So I then deleted every Emby folder via SSH and then resintalled, to no avail.

So I just decided to completely wipe my NAS and setup as a new one. My data will takes days to copy from its USB backup over to my folder structure. We will see if that works. This is a COMPLETE JOKE.

Orlandoech
14 minutes ago, Orlandoech said:

Everything to the "T" in post #1 

I also SSH into and ensured all Emby folders were deleted. Then tried to re-installed and copy from my old Emby folder to no avail. So I then deleted every Emby folder via SSH and then resintalled, to no avail.

So I just decided to completely wipe my NAS and setup as a new one. My data will takes days to copy from its USB backup over to my folder structure. We will see if that works. This is a COMPLETE JOKE.

I copied a few movies over and this happens now

screenshot.1.png

screenshot.3.png

screenshot.4.png

Edited by Orlandoech

9 hours ago, Orlandoech said:

I copied a few movies over and this happens now

screenshot.1.png

screenshot.3.png

screenshot.4.png

hi, have you taken a look at this?

Successfully did DSM6 -> DSM7 transition. 

Now the question is - do I need to make some magic when upgrading to DSM7.1 or DSM7.2, or those will be automatic? 

59 minutes ago, barat said:

Successfully did DSM6 -> DSM7 transition. 

Now the question is - do I need to make some magic when upgrading to DSM7.1 or DSM7.2, or those will be automatic? 

From Emby Server's perspective, if you're installing the server by downloading the spk's from our website, then you'll need to use the DSM 7.2 compatible spk after updating DSM.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

From Emby Server's perspective, if you're installing the server by downloading the spk's from our website, then you'll need to use the DSM 7.2 compatible spk after updating DSM.

But no need for a Stop->Uninstall->Update DSM->Install Emby? Just Update DSM, and install 7.1/7.2 compatible Emby?

1 hour ago, barat said:

But no need for a Stop->Uninstall->Update DSM->Install Emby? Just Update DSM, and install 7.1/7.2 compatible Emby?

Correct.

• Like 1