DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

marky9074

Hi guys, 

Any more thoughts on my emby user/permissions issue and Synology Photos. Surely this would be an easy one to replicate when installing Synology Photos and then trying to add the default folder to Emby as a library?

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Wolfen420

Since the creation of the video Emby Server is now availing in the Emby Package store (release version) so you can install Emby on DSM 7 now from that.

Hi, does this comment mean that if I just updated to the latest dsm 6 and then to 7 I should be able to update to emby easily via their package store rather than following all the instructions below that message?

22 hours ago, Wolfen420 said:

Hi, does this comment mean that if I just updated to the latest dsm 6 and then to 7 I should be able to update to emby easily via their package store rather than following all the instructions below that message?

Hi, DSM 7 changed quite a bit from DSM 6. I would still suggest going through the steps in the first post. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Wolfen420
On 2/6/2023 at 5:13 AM, Luke said:

Hi, DSM 7 changed quite a bit from DSM 6. I would still suggest going through the steps in the first post. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Hi @Luke. I have been avoiding DSM7 because of the effect it would have on all the media servers. Plex and Emby both require some tinkering to get working and honestly I am just too lazy to go through all the permission stuff again when everything is currently working fine. My concern is only that at some point PSM or Emby will end support of DSM 6.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wolfen420 said:

Hi @Luke. I have been avoiding DSM7 because of the effect it would have on all the media servers. Plex and Emby both require some tinkering to get working and honestly I am just too lazy to go through all the permission stuff again when everything is currently working fine. My concern is only that at some point PSM or Emby will end support of DSM 6.

We're not planning on deprecating DSM6 support until something forces us to. 

Wolfen420
On 2/7/2023 at 2:17 PM, Luke said:

We're not planning on deprecating DSM6 support until something forces us to. 

That's good to know! I don't see any significant reason to upgrade otherwise for me. My NAS is like 99% media for me. If it ain't broke I don't need to fix it. 😃

• Thanks 1

marky9074

Just adding my latest findings in the hope it might help.

In my case I had an expansion unit connected that was not supported by Synology (deliberate obsoleting of older hardware even though it worked just fine) and it stopped my update of DSM 6 and upgrade to DSM 7. The former hit a wall with an update of Emby that would not work with the DSM 6 version I was running. Hence an expensive unnecessary purchase and then upgrade to DSM 7.....

Moving on to my issue with Synology Photos and shared folder access for the Emby 'System internal user'. I installed Plex to see if the same thing was happening (which it was) and some quick searching online revealed that performing the action of 'Convert to Windows ACL' on the 'photo' shared folder enabled an additional 'Custom' user permissions section (not visible before). Within these permissions, enabling all (including 'Administration - Change permissions & Take ownership') resulted in allowing both Plex and Emby to scrape the folder.

Really hope this helps people in the same position, as it has taken nearly five months to get this resolved.

Edited by marky9074
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

My case : updated to DSM7 without any prep (don't know what Emby version was on DSM6...)
Report : when I started Emby, it started from scratch... 😢

I followed cayars's instructions in first post and video (except steps about DSM6)

I now recovered my Emby setup (acounts, libraries etc) but library won't add new medias added in folders and all medias won't play.

My searches in the topic are unsuccessful and hard for me to read all 23 pages in english 🥵.

Please could you guide me, I guess it's a simple step that I missed !

Thanks a lot and thanks @cayars for this topic an close support ! 

Edited by s1der
  • Thanks 1

Edit :

Actually Emby stops immediately after each start !! Impossible to join the server (web browser or app)

I downloaded last Emby Log, it pointed one error :

2023-02-24 18:28:36.500 Error UserManager: Error reading policy file: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/users/c7305c0f3d6b48788c9c8517f5de3478/policy.xml
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.7.11.0
    Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk
    Operating system: Linux version 3.10.108 (root@build3) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42962 SMP Tue Oct 18 15:01:39 CST 2022
    Framework: .NET 6.0.8
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
    Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/users/c7305c0f3d6b48788c9c8517f5de3478/policy.xml' is denied.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
       at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
       at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String fullPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize)
       at System.IO.Strategies.OSFileStreamStrategy..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize)
       at System.IO.Strategies.FileStreamHelpers.ChooseStrategy(FileStream fileStream, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize)
       at System.IO.File.OpenRead(String path)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.OpenRead(String path)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Serialization.MyXmlSerializer.DeserializeFromFile(Type type, String file)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.UserManager.GetUserPolicy(User user)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo, System.String, Boolean, System.Func`2[Interop+ErrorInfo,Interop+ErrorInfo])
    InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
    Source: 
    TargetSite: 

Maybe it can help ... ? Thank you !

Edited by s1der
  • Thanks 1

So, it's now working... 

I did so much things, impossible to know exactly what was the order and where was the miracle...

stop and start Emby

uninstalled an reinstalled about 20 times emby ( differents versions manually, last available on synology packet center...) an at least last version on emby (4.7.1.0 704071100)

re-imported DSM6 emby files (cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer)

adjusted owner from copied files:  chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

changed rights chmod -R 755 /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

reactivated guet account with rights to my media folder

Sometimes restart the synology ... et hop ... maintenant ça marche !!!

Edited by s1der
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, s1der said:

So, it's now working... 

I did so much things, impossible to know exactly what was the order and where was the miracle...

stop and start Emby

uninstalled an reinstalled about 20 times emby ( differents versions manually, last available on synology packet center...) an at least last version on emby (4.7.1.0 704071100)

re-imported DSM6 emby files (cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer)

adjusted owner from copied files:  chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

changed rights chmod -R 755 /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

reactivated guet account with rights to my media folder

Sometimes restart the synology ... et hop ... maintenant ça marche !!!

Thanks for following up.

ItsDrBob

Like so many, I finally went to DSM7 without checking if Emby would make the jump. It didn't. I have rights to r/w from Emby user to my media files but it sees no files. I would start all over if I could. Can't find any Emby folder in Volume1 when power shelled(Terminal) into Synology with root access. Says "cannot stat '/volume1/Emby/*' no such file or directory".  I have found there is something in /var/packages/Embyserver but not sure if it is what I want. It looks like my DS218play may be able to run Plex now but would like to stay with Emby if possible.

1 hour ago, ItsDrBob said:

Like so many, I finally went to DSM7 without checking if Emby would make the jump. It didn't. I have rights to r/w from Emby user to my media files but it sees no files. I would start all over if I could. Can't find any Emby folder in Volume1 when power shelled(Terminal) into Synology with root access. Says "cannot stat '/volume1/Emby/*' no such file or directory".  I have found there is something in /var/packages/Embyserver but not sure if it is what I want. It looks like my DS218play may be able to run Plex now but would like to stay with Emby if possible.

HI, did you follow the guide at the beginning of this topic?

ItsDrBob

Didn't realize I had to be signed in to view OP guide so went thru the many posts to see if I could figure it out. Then a few minutes ago I stumbled upon the article on how to set permissions on DSM7 which i think is a little different than DSM6. There is the local user permission but there is also a System internal user permission that I didn't remember setting on DSM6 but it was the key to Emby seeing and scanning my libraries.

It is quite amazing the help you give people and in my case I don't think my watched data is still retrievable but I can probably live with that. Just so relieved to get this going again.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:13 AM, ItsDrBob said:

Didn't realize I had to be signed in to view OP guide so went thru the many posts to see if I could figure it out. Then a few minutes ago I stumbled upon the article on how to set permissions on DSM7 which i think is a little different than DSM6. There is the local user permission but there is also a System internal user permission that I didn't remember setting on DSM6 but it was the key to Emby seeing and scanning my libraries.

It is quite amazing the help you give people and in my case I don't think my watched data is still retrievable but I can probably live with that. Just so relieved to get this going again.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the feedback !

On 3/10/2023 at 3:13 AM, ItsDrBob said:

If you still have the Emby install intact from DSM6 then it is retrievable. You could actually follow the 1st post instructions starting from the point of the DSM 7 OS update. If you follow the instructions exactly as written it would migrate your settings over and things should work correctly and all information should be just as it was in DSM 6 including user watch settings.

The migration can be done over and over as long as the DSM 6 file location is intact. That way if something doesn't work correctly or a step got skipped you don't have to hack things but can just start the migration over.

The only thing I would suggest if you plan to redo the migration is go into Package Center and Uninstall Emby. Uninstalling Emby doesn't remove any data, only exe & dlls, but I like to add this step to make sure Package Center doesn't think you have version X installed but the migration copied version W. After migrating you install the latest Emby version (from our website download page) overtop the new install.

• 1 month later...
Wolfen420

@LukeHello. I have been following the update guide, and when I went into putty with the admin account, it gave me permission denied on everything. So the very first step in putty is not working for me. Any suggestions on what to check/try?

Wolfen420

Sorry for the double post here. I can't find a way to edit the original post. Just wanted to update. It was a user error (of course). I completely forgot to use the sudo -i command.

• 2 weeks later...
Canavese

I could not create a user Emby (User name conflict) but I don't have another User with that name.   I believe it conflicts with the Emmy APP name

14 hours ago, Canavese said:

I could not create a user Emby (User name conflict) but I don't have another User with that name.   I believe it conflicts with the Emmy APP name

Hi, what exactly happened when you tried?

Canavese
On 4/30/2023 at 9:51 PM, Luke said:

Hi, what exactly happened when you tried?

Emmy works fine without the user.   I think DSM 7 just needs permissions on the more folder.

9 hours ago, Canavese said:

Emmy works fine without the user.   I think DSM 7 just needs permissions on the more folder.

Did you try it?