embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

LichenKing

Hello QuickMic. Thanks for the updates.

I have usecase that is broken in this Addon. I know there is a huge effort to port to Python3 and functionality has to be rewritten but I want to make sure this is not forgotten  (Yes I know we are dealing with different circumstances with the Python3 and module functionality changes).

I am on NVIDIA Shield 2019 and the latest Kodi 19 Matrix. I use media ISOs for storage of media content. On the “Emby for Kodi: 4.x series of the add-on playback of ISOs worked on Direct (Native) Mode and Add-on Mode In Emby. I utilize Emby's server “(Optional) Shared network folder” based on network share path to play back an item. I have to map my SMB share inside Kodi before I have access to this path. With visibility to the Network Share path for Kodi the previous Emby add-on could playback from the SMB path source.

To confirm ISO media is still supported in Kodi if I manually playback the ISO by navigating the folder structure on Kodi through the File Manager and selecting the ISO file, it is correctly loaded to the Kodi Media Player.I suspect there is an issue with the source path of playback that is being passed to the Kodi Player by the plugin.

For 4.x series of the Plugin the Addon Mode the media playlist was passed to Kodi (Trailers, Cinema Intro, then Media version (ISO, MKV, MP4)) from the media selection menu before playback of item.
Native (DirectPaths) worked as well.
For example I have a 4k and 1080 versions of a Disc when picking a media item in Kodi. This was also handy if I had a Director's cut versus a Theatrical release. In addition sometimes I have a transcoded "web" version. In the 4.x series  of the Addon when selecting a media item a context menu would appear with the different versions of the media I could play. This also worked well for showing different video options for that one Media Title Name. However when clicking these items a large delay occurs and Kodi freezes.
Earlier version 5.1.17 the context menu appears but Kodi freezes and playback would not happen.
This leads me to believe that the logic for this processing has changed and something has broken.

I typically disable transcode as the NVIDIA Shield 2019 allows opening the ISO file type and Kodi can read it. It would be great if the Addon was more context aware about the supported formats on a media device and only suggest a transcode unless prioritized over direct playback or disabled entirely.

Edited by LichenKing

t123thomas

Failed to intalled on windows 10

2021-03-28 18:54:03.857 T:7296    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: SSL connect error(35) for https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/xbmc/addons/matrix/script.module.requests/script.module.requests-2.22.0+matrix.1.zip
2021-03-28 18:54:03.886 T:7296    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: SSL connect error(35)
2021-03-28 18:54:03.886 T:7296    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/xbmc/addons/matrix/script.module.requests/script.module.requests-2.22.0+matrix.1.zip:

2021-03-28 18:54:03.887 T:7296    ERROR <general>: CAddonInstallJob[script.module.requests]: failed to download special://home/addons/packages/script.module.requests-2.22.0 matrix.1.zip
2021-03-28 18:54:03.889 T:7296    ERROR <general>: CAddonInstallJob[plugin.video.emby-next-gen]: failed to install dependency script.module.requests
2021-03-28 18:54:05.463 T:7296    ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: SSL connect error(35)

t123thomas

Also failed to installed on Kodi 18.9

2021-03-28 19:43:11.856 T:7876   ERROR: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: SSL connect error(35) for https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/xbmc/addons/leia/script.module.idna/script.module.idna-2.8.zip
2021-03-28 19:43:11.979 T:7876   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: SSL connect error(35)
2021-03-28 19:43:11.979 T:7876   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/xbmc/addons/leia/script.module.idna/script.module.idna-2.8.zip:
2021-03-28 19:43:11.979 T:7876   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[script.module.idna]: failed to download special://home/addons/packages/script.module.idna-2.8.zip
2021-03-28 19:43:11.981 T:7876   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[script.module.requests]: failed to install dependency script.module.idna
2021-03-28 19:43:11.983 T:7876   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[plugin.video.emby-next-gen]: failed to install dependency script.module.requests

quickmic
5 hours ago, t123thomas said:

Also failed to installed on Kodi 18.9

2021-03-28 19:43:11.856 T:7876   ERROR: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: SSL connect error(35) for https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/xbmc/addons/leia/script.module.idna/script.module.idna-2.8.zip
2021-03-28 19:43:11.979 T:7876   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: SSL connect error(35)
2021-03-28 19:43:11.979 T:7876   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/xbmc/addons/leia/script.module.idna/script.module.idna-2.8.zip:
2021-03-28 19:43:11.979 T:7876   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[script.module.idna]: failed to download special://home/addons/packages/script.module.idna-2.8.zip
2021-03-28 19:43:11.981 T:7876   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[script.module.requests]: failed to install dependency script.module.idna
2021-03-28 19:43:11.983 T:7876   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[plugin.video.emby-next-gen]: failed to install dependency script.module.requests

This is not a plugin issue. I think you use a (wrong configured) proxy. It redirects HTTPS request to HTTP and this will cause the issue.

quickmic
12 hours ago, LichenKing said:

Hello QuickMic. Thanks for the updates.

I have usecase that is broken in this Addon. I know there is a huge effort to port to Python3 and functionality has to be rewritten but I want to make sure this is not forgotten  (Yes I know we are dealing with different circumstances with the Python3 and module functionality changes).

I am on NVIDIA Shield 2019 and the latest Kodi 19 Matrix. I use media ISOs for storage of media content. On the “Emby for Kodi: 4.x series of the add-on playback of ISOs worked on Direct (Native) Mode and Add-on Mode In Emby. I utilize Emby's server “(Optional) Shared network folder” based on network share path to play back an item. I have to map my SMB share inside Kodi before I have access to this path. With visibility to the Network Share path for Kodi the previous Emby add-on could playback from the SMB path source.

To confirm ISO media is still supported in Kodi if I manually playback the ISO by navigating the folder structure on Kodi through the File Manager and selecting the ISO file, it is correctly loaded to the Kodi Media Player.I suspect there is an issue with the source path of playback that is being passed to the Kodi Player by the plugin.

For 4.x series of the Plugin the Addon Mode the media playlist was passed to Kodi (Trailers, Cinema Intro, then Media version (ISO, MKV, MP4)) from the media selection menu before playback of item.
Native (DirectPaths) worked as well.
For example I have a 4k and 1080 versions of a Disc when picking a media item in Kodi. This was also handy if I had a Director's cut versus a Theatrical release. In addition sometimes I have a transcoded "web" version. In the 4.x series  of the Addon when selecting a media item a context menu would appear with the different versions of the media I could play. This also worked well for showing different video options for that one Media Title Name. However when clicking these items a large delay occurs and Kodi freezes.
Earlier version 5.1.17 the context menu appears but Kodi freezes and playback would not happen.
This leads me to believe that the logic for this processing has changed and something has broken.

I typically disable transcode as the NVIDIA Shield 2019 allows opening the ISO file type and Kodi can read it. It would be great if the Addon was more context aware about the supported formats on a media device and only suggest a transcode unless prioritized over direct playback or disabled entirely.

Next-gen already uses a hybrid mode (addon mode default, native mode as fallback) for native "kodi plugin commands". I think I'll just add .iso and it should work.

markdj

With the stable version I noticed that Emby sometimes doesn’t remove files (mostly series) I removed from the PC (through its folder or through the Emby page). This is when the Shield is awake and/or asleep.

I remember this being an issue with previous versions of Emby. Removing them manually isn’t very problematic but it’s still something that should work regardless I think.

Also, changing backdrops of movies doesn’t work. Black backgrounds until I manually refresh the item and reload the skin (not sure which one correctly triggers the event).

quickmic
3 hours ago, markdj said:

With the stable version I noticed that Emby sometimes doesn’t remove files (mostly series) I removed from the PC (through its folder or through the Emby page). This is when the Shield is awake and/or asleep.

I fixed a lot of bugs in the beta and experimental version related to sync issues. You can try it out if you want. Page one of this thread.

Also, changing backdrops of movies doesn’t work. Black backgrounds until I manually refresh the item and reload the skin (not sure which one correctly triggers the event).

You mean the "fanart" images? I'll perform some tests, could be related to caching. Do you use default skin?

Edited by quickmic

markdj
2 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I fixed a lot of bugs in the beta and experimental version related to sync issues. You can try it out if you want. Page one of this thread.

You mean the "fanart" images? I'll perform some tests, could be related to caching. Do you use default skin?

Has the Shield sleeping issue been fixed? That’s why I went back to stable for now. And I’m using Arctic zephyr reloaded for my skin.

BaukeZwart
8 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Its not only fanart images, i have also seen thumbs disappearing afther they have been updated. Seems to be a bit hit and mis with all artwotk. Could be a caching issue

A db repair fixes tje issues for me. I have seen this happen on both windows and shield. 

quickmic
8 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

Its not only fanart images, i have also seen thumbs disappearing afther they have been updated. Seems to be a bit hit and mis with all artwotk. Could be a caching issue

A db repair fixes tje issues for me. I have seen this happen on both windows and shield. 

I also have some artwork problems after initial sync (when Artwork is not cached), but a Skin reload should work. Actually this is the reason why I (re)load the Skin on Kodi start.

Does the issue only appear after update Artwork on server? And is it always the case or just sometimes?

Edited by quickmic

BaukeZwart

For me it only happens when artwork is updated either on the server or via tje NFO by tmm. 

It seems to happen random, a few days ago i updated fanart for 4 movies

3 where ok, one was missing the fanart. AFAIK a reboot didn't fix it, db fix was needed. 

CharleyVarrick

For the one missing fanart, was it all ok on emby's side?

I'm asking because sometime my emby has issue by itself with media related images

Edited by CharleyVarrick

BaukeZwart

It's ok on the server side. If it was missing on the server a db fix wouldn't be able to fix it for the client i think. 

CharleyVarrick

If all you do to fix is only on kodi's side, you're right.

Once in a while, I observe strange image behavior on Emby, I browse movie library and a posterless movie stands out like a sore thumb, yet when I select the movie, poster shows up in detail view. While in movie detail view, I spot a well known actor missing pic, and again, when selecting that actor to go to actor page, pic is there.

BaukeZwart

I also noticed the missing actor pictures but only for less know ones. I always blamed the metadata provider for this.

CharleyVarrick
Just now, BaukeZwart said:

I also noticed the missing actor pictures but only for less know ones. I always blamed the metadata provider for this.

What I described is they appear missing in "parent view" but they're displayed in detailed view. I blame this on emby being somewhat mixed up in the gazillion links it uses to display one specific picture on mutltiple  views. But all of this has probably nothing to do with your issue on hand.

BaukeZwart

Tbh i still don't know what the issue is, that's why i never reported it. 

I also can't replicate it, i did stop scraping artwork with tmm. That seem to improve the missing issue artwork a bit. 

markdj
52 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I also have some artwork problems after initial sync (when Artwork is not cached), but a Skin reload should work. Actually this is the reason why I (re)load the Skin on Kodi start.

Does the issue only appear after update Artwork on server? And is it always the case or just sometimes?

It happens only after updating artwork on the server. And for me it always happens, a skin reload or database fix fixes the problem.

BaukeZwart

Not sure if it's relevant, it seems to happen less frequent on the Shield and more on Windows. 

The Shield is on 24/7, the Windows machine is swiched off or in sleep mode frequently. 

quickmic

Well I think both issues (after initial sync) and the update Artwork has the same core.

The problem is, artwork is piped through local http-Websocket. This socket is initiated after Emby connection is established. Unfortunately, the skin sometimes queries Artwork before socket is online. This is no problem, cause once cached all good.

Sometimes it seems Kodi caches invalid Artwork (before socket was online) and skin reload will not force a new query.

To test this hypothesis, please don't reset the database. Just delete all cached artwork in the Kodi thumbnails folder and restart Kodi. If this fixes the issue, it's the cache.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

Riggs
22 hours ago, quickmic said:

Do you know, is this a limitation of your device?

Hehe really?

Is a Nvidia Shield.

I can play that content on Emby or Plex and the old version of Kodi previous Matrix... so... When that happens?

quickmic
5 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Hehe really?

Is a Nvidia Shield.

I can play that content on Emby or Plex and the old version of Kodi previous Matrix... so... When that happens?

That's not a matter of performance. It's a matter of supported codecs.

Actually, in addon mode and no transcoding, next-gen plugin just requests a raw stream from Emby server that's it. Next gen doesn't manipulate anything, Kodi is the player.

quickmic
6 minutes ago, quickmic said:

That's not a matter of performance. It's a matter of supported codecs.

Actually, in addon mode and no transcoding, next-gen plugin just requests a raw stream from Emby server that's it. Next gen doesn't manipulate anything, Kodi is the player.

Not sure, but seems Kodi has also some HDR limitations.

BaukeZwart
44 minutes ago, quickmic said:

To test this hypothesis, please don't reset the database. Just delete all cached artwork in the Kodi thumbnails folder and restart Kodi. If this fixes the issue, it's the cache.

When i have some time tomorrow i will see if i can force an artwork failure and test this. 

• Like 1