embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

BaukeZwart

Thanks i will install an other weather provider on the Windows install. No issues until now on Shield and Fire TV. 

BaukeZwart
1 minute ago, quickmic said:

Was the sync in progress? According to the log, it was.

According to the screen popup the sync was done. About 1-2 minutes before closing Kodi. 

quickmic

The weather plugin is basically ok. There was just an error, due to data query while shutdown.

Also there was a timeout in next-gen. I'll check

• Thanks 1

BaukeZwart

The good news is I added a new serie, didn't like the backdrop scraped by Emby, and changed it with tmm. 

Started Kodi a few minutes later, and Kodi nicely showed the new backdrop. Thia scenario almost always resulted in no backdrop with previous E4K versions. 

• Like 1

quickmic

New experimental version available: plugin.video.emby-next-gen-5.2.06-build 136 (ex25)

No specific issues addressed, but I optimized the player (playback) initialization. Due to changes, progress updates are optimized and I assume it will fix some bugs according to that matter.

quickmic
19 minutes ago, quickmic said:

New experimental version available: plugin.video.emby-next-gen-5.2.06-build 136 (ex25)

No specific issues addressed, but I optimized the player (playback) initialization. Due to changes, progress updates are optimized and I assume it will fix some bugs according to that matter.

New experimental version available: plugin.video.emby-next-gen-5.2.06-build 137 (ex25)

136 has a minor bug

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

quickmic

@TobyTentakel

Have you performed music syncs tests with one of the last experimental versions? I optimized a lot of code due to initial sync. My music lib is synced in 8h instead of 2 and a half days.

t123thomas

@Quickmic, I spotted a bug in the submenu for countries and studios, directors these three  are reference to diff tag

screenshot00000.png

screenshot00001.png

Edited by t123thomas
  • Like 1

LichenKing
On 4/1/2021 at 10:09 AM, quickmic said:

Can you please perform a test with the new experimental version. I hope iso file works now. Resync DB in addon mode.

Sure thing. Sorry was away for work. I will get back to you with my results.

LichenKing

So the great news. ISO Playback works again instead where it was completely broken before.

The behavior is just not quite there yet. Here is what I tested so far.

• (Kodi) After selecting media item in Kodi "Select playback item" dialog shows which is used to select a playlist title on the ISO (note this is different from the dialog "Select Media Source" referenced later in the test notes). Kodi is configured to not auto play longest playlist item title from the ISO disc and the title is required to be selected. This dialog is from Kodi and not the plugin. This is the correct behavior as I have autoplay biggest title Kodi setting disabled. So this test looks good.
    • However there is a problem where "Select Media Source" items are ONLY ISOs under one media title. Please see below for more information for a description of the scenario regarding the dialog "Select Media Source" not appearing before the Kodi dialog box described above appears.
  • (Emby / Plugin) - Trailers dialog box is not shown (only got it to show a couple times and it no longer pops up when selecting an Item)
    • Steps to verify
      • Reset Kodi DB (did not reset Addon Settings)
      • Restarted Kodi
  • (Emby / Plugin) - Play Trailers videos from Emby did play to the media player correctly (when I got it to work).
    • One time after the Trailers part played the dialog "Select Media Source" appeared after instead of before the playlist sequence was played. This is not the desired behavior.
  • (Emby / Plugin) - Custom Cinema Intro did not play
  • (Emby / Plugin) - Select source dialog is not shown all the time
    • Steps to verify
      • Reset Kodi DB (did not reset Addon Settings)
      • Restarted Kodi
    • For example I have a list of 4 possible media sources under the same title, please see list below. What I have found is if the media source formats are different such as ISO and MP4 then the dialog "Select Media Source" appears. However if the media is a 4k ISO and a 1080 ISO with no other formats the dialog "Select Media Source" does not appear.
    • Example of options under one Media Title. Any of these sources should be able to be selected as soon as the item is selected in Kodi.
      • My Media Title (2021) - 4k.disc.iso
      • My Media Title (2021) - 1080.disc.iso
      • My Media TItle (2021) - 1080.webmp4
      • My Media Title (2021) - 720.web.mp4
    • Another example of options under one Media Title. The dialog "Select media source" does not appear
    • ISO shows up as 0 Byte in the dialog "Select Media Source" (probably expected because of the format type but still wanted to list it)
    • 4k disc playback fails to start from the dialog "Select Media Source" items.
  • (Kodi) Exiting current media playback and selecting another media playback is very slow sometimes. Maybe there is something that could get more consistent results.
    Here are different scenarios I ran into. This is both when completely stop the media and starting a new media item while the current one was playing.
    • Kodi does initiate playback but after a very long delay.
    • Loading ICON shows Kodi is doing work but nothing happens and it eventually disappears back to the selection screen or current active playing media.
    • Kodi completely locks up and thinks it is playing the new item but is not. This might be something with buffers or caching more likely in Kodi then the plugin.

Order for dialogs / video playback (worked in old version of plugin)

1. If multiple items under one media title name, list the dialog "Select Media Source"
  2. If trailers plugin is enabled show the dialog "Play Trailers", in addition respect plugin option for this dialog to allowed to show or not show. If no show go to step 5.
  3. Playback trailers
  4. Playback cinema intro
  5. Show dialog if Kodi requires selecting a main title to play from a container format such as an ISO. This sound respect Kodi settings how to playback Discs.
  6. Begin main media playback

Edited by LichenKing

quickmic
9 hours ago, LichenKing said:

Order for dialogs / video playback (worked in old version of plugin)

1. If multiple items under one media title name, list the dialog "Select Media Source"
  2. If trailers plugin is enabled show the dialog "Play Trailers", in addition respect plugin option for this dialog to allowed to show or not show. If no show go to step 5.
  3. Playback trailers
  4. Playback cinema intro
  5. Show dialog if Kodi requires selecting a main title to play from a container format such as an ISO. This sound respect Kodi settings how to playback Discs.
  6. Begin main media playback

Plugin: How the hybrid/addon-mode works:

All playable files by Emby server are loaded via HTTP "path" into Kodi DB. If a file is not playable by Emby server like ".iso" or native Kodi plugin references "plugin://..." are load as native path into Kodi.db.

Using native paths limits the features. The plugin has no control over native paths cause they are not piped through Socket.

In other words, if piped through socket, the HTTP queries can be manipulated (redirect to other http address e.g. if Multivideos, Trailers, Transcoding etc).  Kodi doesn't even know that and that's the beauty.

As mentioned, in native mode this is not possible. Only option would be, intercept play request, check query, stop play request or update playpath, manipulate playlist, restart player. This is the way 4.x works. Next-gen will not use this approach. It's slow, not reliable and often leads to inconsistent labels. Also it breaks 3rd party plugin due to playlist manipulations.

So if using native paths, only stock Kodi features are available.

Trailers, Cinemamode, Multiversion selection is all not available in native Kodi and you cannot use it.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic

Info:

Latest experimental version still has issues with playprogress. I'm working on it...

• Thanks 1

quickmic

New experimental version available: plugin.video.emby-next-gen-5.2.06-build 156 (ex26)

I hope all progress update issues are fixed.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

quickmic
13 hours ago, t123thomas said:

@Quickmic, I spotted a bug in the submenu for countries and studios, directors these three  are reference to diff tag

screenshot00000.png

screenshot00001.png

Thanks, I'll check that.

quickmic

Will be fixed in next version. Actually, this tooks 30 seconds 😉

Thanks for reporting.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

LichenKing
9 hours ago, quickmic said:

Plugin: How the hybrid/addon-mode works:

All playable files by Emby server are loaded via HTTP "path" into Kodi DB. If a file is not playable by Emby server like ".iso" or native Kodi plugin references "plugin://..." are load as native path into Kodi.db.

Using native paths limits the features. The plugin has no control over native paths cause they are not piped through Socket.

In other words, if piped through socket, the HTTP queries can be manipulated (redirect to other http address e.g. if Multivideos, Trailers, Transcoding etc).  Kodi doesn't even know that and that's the beauty.

As mentioned, in native mode this is not possible. Only option would be, intercept play request, check query, stop play request or update playpath, manipulate playlist, restart player. This is the way 4.x works. Next-gen will not use this approach. It's slow, not reliable and often leads to inconsistent labels. Also it breaks 3rd party plugin due to playlist manipulations.

Trailers, Cinemamode, Multiversion selection is all not available in native Kodi and you cannot use it.

Thanks for the explanation and looking into it. It is a shame but I understand this is going to divulge from the original functionality.

The one thing that I would love to get fixed is this from my previous post as it should not have to affect playlist interception. As this prevents me from selecting between 4k and 1080 Discs based on the viewing display device I am on.

Another example of options under one Media Title. The dialog "Select media source" does not appear

Edited by LichenKing

quickmic
2 minutes ago, LichenKing said:

Thanks for the explanation and looking into it. It is a shame but I understand this is going to divulge from the original functionality.

The one thing that I would love to get fixed is this from my previous post as it should not have to affect playlist interception. As this prevents me from selecting between 4k and 1080 Discs based on the viewing display device I am on.

Well this is multivideo and not a native Kodi feature. Therefore not supported, however. The only way to add both versions via Kodi native functionalities would be, writing two records in the Kodi DB. I can do that, but you will have 2 similar movies in the Kodi lists/browsers. I can also tag (label extension) with additional info. Like

My Media Title (4k)

My Media Title (1080)

But a selection box for multiversion is not possible with stock Kodi options.

LichenKing

Well that is too bad. Double options would be undesirable and disagree with this approach.

I am reading the source code right now trying to see how this works.

quickmic

fyi, Experimental versions are not checked in to github. Use the plugin (code).

Choosing between native and addon mode (while sync) is located here: core/common.py (get_path_filename)

As mentioned, native paths are written directly into KodiDB and the plugin has no control.

HTTP (addon mode) paths are written as 127.0.0.1:57578

Local websocket (http) manipulations are located in: hooks/player.py -> class WebserviceOnPlay and called via threading queue from hooks/webservice.py

Edited by quickmic

ulrick65

When you are saying "experimental version" is this not the one located in the beta repository then?  Or is it someplace else?

I am running what I thought was the current beta version and having issues with items not syncing to Kodi when they are added to the server.  Sometimes I can exit out of Kodi and come back in and it will sync.  But a couple of times no matter what I did, it wouldn't sync and I have to reset the local database.  I have 3 Kodi installs on 3 different systems and they all do the same thing.

Would like to try the Experimental version...just wondering where to get it?

Thanks.

embyL0VER
10 hours ago, quickmic said:

Using "Addon-Mode" locally stored trailers, still aren't getting synced yet. (Don't use trailer add-on)

If I'm using "Native-Mode" my trailers get synced but I can't use the emby features like transcoding etc.

quickmic
1 minute ago, ulrick65 said:

When you are saying "experimental version" is this not the one located in the beta repository then?  Or is it someplace else?

Thanks.

Experimental version always available on the first posting of this thread and must be install via sideload.

• Thanks 1

ulrick65
1 minute ago, ulrick65 said:

I am running what I thought was the current beta version and having issues with items not syncing to Kodi when they are added to the server.  Sometimes I can exit out of Kodi and come back in and it will sync.  But a couple of times no matter what I did, it wouldn't sync and I have to reset the local database.  I have 3 Kodi installs on 3 different systems and they all do the same thing.

Would like to try the Experimental version...just wondering where to get it?

Thanks.

Lol...stupid me, right there in the first post!  Sorry about that...got it now.