embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic

"it will be damn fast" was mostly addressing the playback initialization.

There is still lot of room for improvement. Currently I focusing on stabilization releasing a new stable version in the next weeks. I hope the next beta will be a big step into that direction.

I think most of the known bug will be fixed (not the current limitations). There are still several pending.

• Like 2

BaukeZwart

After using Kodi for a few year I started testing Emby in combination with E4K only recently because I now have 2 Kodi setups that I want to have a shared db.
Don't want to go through the hassle of having to setup a central MySQL db.

I really like how E4K integrates Kodi and Emby, only real issue I ran into is that my DS216Play is not fast enough to run the Emby server.
I need to run E4K in Native mode, in add-on mode some files just refuse to play.
Time to upgrade to a DS220+ I guess.

quickmic
2 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

I really like how E4K integrates Kodi and Emby, only real issue I ran into is that my DS216Play is not fast enough to run the Emby server.
I need to run E4K in Native mode, in add-on mode some files just refuse to play.

Not sure if I get it right, DS216 is too slow to run Emby server, or the playback from a Kodi box was not working?

Actually, if Emby server is working (no matter were), addon mode shouldn't  be a limiting factor unless you are using transcoding.

Transcoding needs (Emby) server power and/or a good GPU doing the job.

If playback is not working on Kodibox in addonmode (not using transcoding), then the fileformat is not/limited supported by the Kodi device.

If the Emby server is fast enough for transcoding, and the Kodi Box has limitations, you can force transcoding for specific file formats.

BaukeZwart

I'm running Kodi on a test machine, an Intel core i7 with 16Gb RAM.
I don't use Transcoding (at least as far as I know).

When using E4K in native mode al files play and start blazing fast. In add-on mode some just don't start, spinning wheel shows and I can hear and see my NAS discs spinning like crazy but that's it. I tried disabling Transcoding in the user setting on the server side, that made playing those problem files in the Web App postille (that also didn't work with Transcoding enabled) but in Kodi that didn't fix it.

For now the only working situation I found is using native mode in E4K.

Edited by BaukeZwart

quickmic
10 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

I'm running Kodi on a test machine, an Intel core i7 with 16Gb RAM.
I don't use Transcoding (at least as far as I know).

When using E4K in native mode al files play and start blazing fast. In add-on mode some just don't start, spinning wheel shows and I can hear and see my NAS discs spinning like crazy but that's it. I tried disabling Transcoding in the user setting on the server side, that made playing those problem files in the Web App postille (that also didn't work with Transcoding enabled) but in Kodi that didn't fix it.

For now the only working situation I found is using native mode in E4K.

If you wish, I can have a look. This sounds odd, probably a bug.

BaukeZwart

Thanks for the offer, what doe you need from me? 

Back to add-on mode and make a log while trying to play a problematic mkv file, does that give you some information. 

Edited by BaukeZwart

CharleyVarrick
6 hours ago, quickmic said:

"it will be damn fast" was mostly addressing the playback initialization.

Understatement or my impression is you over achieved the "damn fast" aspect. 

1) Before Kodi 19 upgrade, the emby user welcome prompt used to pop 15sec in, now barely 3sec

2) Ever since using Kodi, catching up on Emby's newly added content used to be slow and fragile, now working together like left and right hand.

3) Substantial new media dump are now handled effortlessly.

Last couple of years, I was down and out in regards to performance + reliability aspects.

Since Emby Next Gen, I couldn't be happier. Hopefully, when Emby 4.6 goes live, it wont ruin all your hard work.

I say that because about 1.5 years ago, a significant Emby update crippled E4K (and Angel blue vanished shortly after)

Edited by CharleyVarrick

quickmic
2 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

Thanks for the offer, what doe you need from me? 

Back to add-on mode and make a log while trying to play a problematic mkv file, does that give you some information. 

Yes exactly, but take a backup (complete kodi userfolder) of the native installation for your confidence. Then you can easily switch back.

TeamB
3 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

@TeamBSpeaking of clarity, now knowing quickmic is official staff, are  you as well? ***

BTW, I love both of your forum handle, quickmic saying it all, and TeamB being a witty tribute to AngelBlue05 (TeamA, in my mind at least), plus it being phonetically close to Emby

EDIT: *** Team B is listed as staff, but I dont see quickmic for now @Luke

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/staff/

That page is not actually a list of staff, it is just forum admins and moderators.

I am not Emby staff, I am just a user, developer and contributor for some of the projects, I am not a member of the emby team.

Xnappo was the original e4k addon dev, he ported a bunch of code over from the plex addon at the time, this was about 2015 I think. A few people helped out myself included and eventually I split off EmbyCon as a separate addon when the e4k addon started using syncing, I was not a fan of having to sync to the local kodi db so stuck with dynamic display. I think angelblue came in about 2016 to help out and ended up taking over the e4k addon completely in 2017 or 18.

Anyway its probably good team emby has some skin in the kodi game now with a dev supporting the emby next gen addon.

• Like 1

BaukeZwart

Switching between native and add-on is no problem for me. That's the advance of running a test system. 

Do you want me to take a log with yesterday's experimental build or wait for today's (hopefully) build. 

embyL0VER

Hi, 

@quickmic I have another question regarding native vs. add-on mode.

If I'm using native mode, local stored trailers in their corresponding movie folders can be played

in Kodi by clicking on the "Trailer" button after a database sync. If I'm using add-on mode, local stored trailers 

can't be played only a spinning wheel pops up for a short moment and than nothing happens.

So the question is, is this by design, a limitation with add-on mode or a bug?

Thx for reading and have a good day.

quickmic
18 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

Hi, 

@quickmic I have another question regarding native vs. add-on mode.

If I'm using native mode, local stored trailers in their corresponding movie folders can be played

in Kodi by clicking on the "Trailer" button after a database sync. If I'm using add-on mode, local stored trailers 

can't be played only a spinning wheel pops up for a short moment and than nothing happens.

So the question is, is this by design, a limitation with add-on mode or a bug?

Thx for reading and have a good day.

I haven't tried that yet. I put it on the list

• Thanks 1

embyL0VER
3 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I haven't tried that yet. I put it on the list

Thx for checking and replying that fast. 

• Like 1

BaukeZwart

@quickmic

I wanted to try out a few things (like disabling VPN) but it didn't make any difference.
This is the log trying to play a .mkv file in add-on mode, this same file pays perfectly fine in native mode.

I don't see any transcode or remux logs in the server for the time I tried to play the file

If needed I can try again with the next build.

E4K build 5.2.02

Edited by BaukeZwart

quickmic
9 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

@quickmic

I wanted to try out a few things (like disabling VPN) but it didn't make any difference.
This is the log trying to play a .mkv file in add-on mode, this same file pays perfectly fine in native mode.

I don't see any transcode or remux logs in the server for the time I tried to play the file

If needed I can try again with the next build.

E4K build 5.2.02

log.txt 78.33 kB · 0 downloads

That's the subtitle issue I mentioned. Will be fixed in next version.

• Like 1

quickmic

First page update with link to new version.

Frankly, I haven't performed as many tests as I wanted, but I know you are waiting for this version due a major bug in previous one.

I hope it runs smoothly.

BaukeZwart
6 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Frankly, I haven't performed as many tests as I wanted, but I know you are waiting for this version due a major bug in previous one.

I hope it runs smoothly.

Getting the following error when trying to install

The dependency on xbmc.python version 2.25.0 could not be satisfied.

BaukeZwart

All is wel now!
Also the playback of the previously trouble file is OK now.

Thanks for the great support.

• Thanks 1

CharleyVarrick
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

I hope it runs smoothly.

This is for fixing SRT sub issue, right?

If so I'm going to try them before (supposed to crash?) and after

Edited by CharleyVarrick