embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic
10 hours ago, jonomite said:

Thank you for all of your amazing work on this. 

Question: is there currently a way to enable chapter thumbnails in add-on mode? 

No, this is a current limitation in addon mode.

quickmic
3 hours ago, Glyde62 said:

Need this option also.......

It's in the my todo list.

• Thanks 1

quickmic
8 hours ago, bozrdnag said:

First of all, thanks for all your hard work and effort on this, quickmic!  It is truly appreciated.

I am having an issue where things work right for some days and then all of the sudden random episodes don't get synced.  I say random because other episodes added later on will be synced to Kodi but those previously skipped never seem to get added.  This happened to me a couple weeks back and my only recourse was to rebuild the TV library.  I've also had times where random artwork has disappeared on me but subsequent syncs seem to bring it back.  I have not seen any issues with Movies.

This is happening on Kodi 19, E4K 5.1.17 on an Nvidia Shield which I have set to not go to sleep.  Here is a log taken after starting Kodi and waiting for a sync to finish.  After this sync I have multiple new episodes in Emby that did not sync and do not appear in Kodi.

EDIT:  I notice a few mentions about skin compatibility.  I always thought that E4K was skin agnostic.  Is that incorrect?  I am running Madnox if it matters. I just tried switching to Estuary and restarted Kodi.  After the sync, the same episodes are still missing.

kodi.log 61.61 kB · 1 download

Please report if 5.2.01 is still affected by the sync issue.

Skin:

Yes, correct. emby-next-gen is skin agnostic.

wanderjarra

It seems that something has changed in my case, some series he recognizes that there is more than one season others he ignores and only takes one season. On the Emby server they normally appear as in the image, inside Kodi with the native Addon and all default options are not.

It seems that something has changed in my case, some series he recognizes that there is more than one season others he ignores and only takes one season. On the Emby server they normally appear as in the image, inside Kodi with the native Addon and all default options are not.
I know it is difficult to explain, but of course I am willing to contribute as well as the great work of quickmic.
If you can be clearer or not understand me let me know.

Kodi 19 + Emby Server 4.5.4.0 + Addon Emby Next Gen 5.2.01

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

quickmic
1 hour ago, wanderjarra said:

I know it is difficult to explain, but of course I am willing to contribute as well as the great work of quickmic.
If you can be clearer or not understand me let me know.

Kodi 19 + Emby Server 4.5.4.0 + Addon Emby Next Gen 5.2.01

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

I have reviewed this matter, but not fixed yet. I'll focus in the next version(s) on this.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

quickmic
53 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

I can confirm that 5.2.01 fixed the backup issue I reported earlier.
Only a new issue came in it's place, when using "Emby options/refresh this item" I'm getting an error now. This was working fine in 5.1.17.

https://paste.kodi.tv/sajesucihu

Look like a collateral damage in the last version. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

• Thanks 1

Gizzmo80

For me on Shield TV 2019 and KODI 19 the connection to the server is broken after update to 5.2.01.

Now I deleted the database, uninstalled embyforkodi and reinstalled fresh. But now I get the connection widget showing the server, showing the profile, but after entering password nothing happens. Checking the settings doesn‘t show the server and profile data anymore.

quickmic
2 minutes ago, Gizzmo80 said:

For me on Shield TV 2019 and KODI 19 the connection to the server is broken after update to 5.2.01.

Now I deleted the database, uninstalled embyforkodi and reinstalled fresh. But now I get the connection widget showing the server, showing the profile, but after entering password nothing happens. Checking the settings doesn‘t show the server and profile data anymore.

Do you connect to the server via LAN?

Also, please send me a log file.

quickmic

Thanks, I see there is a bug. The reason I asked if you use LAN is, cause I modified a lot in the connection modules and also had some issues connecting via WAN.

I performed multiple tests on WAN and thought I covered all of them, but seems I missed your case.

Your Kodi tried to connect to 172.23.1.1 but seems this in not possible (timeout). So far so good, now connection modules should try next option, but it crashed here.

Do you use emby connect, manual (server) mode or something else?

Also, do you use HTTPS?

Edited by quickmic

Gizzmo80

Hmm, let me check something in some minutes. This IP-Adress is only the WOL LAN connection of my Synology. This should be a other in an other VLAN. But I am wondering why my Shield sees this serveradress...

But all went a little strange after the update. The addon was gone, so I deleted it completely.

But will check why this address is found by the discovery, completly different VLAN.

zjeffer

I get the following error when trying to refresh an item in Kodi:

2021-03-07 20:00:46.195 T:309551    INFO <general>: EMBY.dialogs.context.ContextMenu -> options: ['Add to favorites', 'Refresh this item', 'Delete from Emby', 'Settings']
2021-03-07 20:00:47.186 T:309551    INFO <general>: EMBY.dialogs.context.ContextMenu -> option selected: Refresh this item
2021-03-07 20:00:47.232 T:309551   ERROR <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'TypeError'>
                                                   Error Contents: 'bool' object is not subscriptable
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/home/zjeffer/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/context.py", line 140, in <module>
                                                       Context()
                                                     File "/home/zjeffer/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/context.py", line 69, in __init__
                                                       self.action_menu()
                                                     File "/home/zjeffer/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/context.py", line 114, in action_menu
                                                       self.server['api'].refresh_item(self.item['Id'])
                                                   TypeError: 'bool' object is not subscriptable
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

2021-03-07 20:00:47.262 T:309551    INFO <general>: Python interpreter stopped

• Like 1

quickmic
1 minute ago, zjeffer said:

I get the following error when trying to refresh an item in Kodi:

2021-03-07 20:00:46.195 T:309551    INFO <general>: EMBY.dialogs.context.ContextMenu -> options: ['Add to favorites', 'Refresh this item', 'Delete from Emby', 'Settings']
2021-03-07 20:00:47.186 T:309551    INFO <general>: EMBY.dialogs.context.ContextMenu -> option selected: Refresh this item
2021-03-07 20:00:47.232 T:309551   ERROR <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'TypeError'>
                                                   Error Contents: 'bool' object is not subscriptable
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/home/zjeffer/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/context.py", line 140, in <module>
                                                       Context()
                                                     File "/home/zjeffer/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/context.py", line 69, in __init__
                                                       self.action_menu()
                                                     File "/home/zjeffer/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.emby-next-gen/context.py", line 114, in action_menu
                                                       self.server['api'].refresh_item(self.item['Id'])
                                                   TypeError: 'bool' object is not subscriptable
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

2021-03-07 20:00:47.262 T:309551    INFO <general>: Python interpreter stopped

Thanks, this was also reported by another user. I'll fix it in the next version.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

zjeffer
16 minutes ago, quickmic said:

That's interesting, the websocket has a problem. I will investigate.

If it helps:

• Emby's version is 4.6.0.30 beta
  • Emby is running on a Raspberry Pi
  • Kodi is running on Arch Linux, kernel version is 5.11.2
  • Both the RPi and the device Kodi runs on are connected to the same router with ethernet cables.
Edited by zjeffer
extra info

Gizzmo80

OK sorry, didn’t expect my embyserver to take that ip-address and more strange is that my shield on an other VLAN sees this connection. Maybe the server reports the address on both LAN connections but on both with one ip address.

I changed the address within embyserver settings to a fixed wanted one within the VLAN of the Shield and now the connection seems correct and the sync started.

djhifi

@quickmic You never got back to me regarding my questions about Native Mode of the addon.

Whats the difference between native mode and addon mode?

I don't transcode from my server, and don't want to. And I also like to populate my skin with as much information as possible. 

And I always thought Native Mode would be the correct way to achieve this since it builds local kodi .db files.

Is this correct?

PS: Thanks for implementing an option to remove artwork on .db reset

quickmic
Just now, zjeffer said:

If it helps:

• Emby's version is 4.6.0.30 beta
  • Emby is running on a Raspberry Pi
  • Kodi is running on Arch Linux, kernel version is 5.11.2

You are using a very new python 3.9 version.

I think that's the core of the issue. I'll perform some tests with python 3.9, probably a command, websocket used, is deprecated.

• Like 1

quickmic
23 minutes ago, Gizzmo80 said:

OK sorry, didn’t expect my embyserver to take that ip-address and more strange is that my shield on an other VLAN sees this connection. Maybe the server reports the address on both LAN connections but on both with one ip address.

I changed the address within embyserver settings to a fixed wanted one within the VLAN of the Shield and now the connection seems correct and the sync started.

No problem, it's an issue anyway. Even if next-gen got a timeout, it should not crash.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
27 minutes ago, djhifi said:

@quickmic You never got back to me regarding my questions about Native Mode of the addon.

Whats the difference between native mode and addon mode?

I don't transcode from my server, and don't want to. And I also like to populate my skin with as much information as possible. 

And I always thought Native Mode would be the correct way to achieve this since it builds local kodi .db files.

Is this correct?

PS: Thanks for implementing an option to remove artwork on .db reset

Sorry, maybe I forgot.

There is no "correct" mode. Addon mode works in any case, native only if you have direct file access.

kodi db files are always used. The "sync" syncs the kodi db(s) with emby server.

The difference is, in native mode kodi db(s) are loaded with (direct) filepathes (that's why file access is necessary). Addon mode loads "virtual http" pathes (piped through socketserver) and redirects it to Emby server.

Native mode has only one benefit. If an external plugin is related to native file pathes (which are very very few), addon mode will not work for them.

On the other hand, if you use native filepathes, several features (multivideo, transcoding and several more) are not supported. Addon-mode manipulates/injects some modifications when queries those "virtual http" pathes.

The manipulations are required, due a lag of Kodi native support for those features.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 2

TobyTentakel
3 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Sorry, maybe I forgot.

There is no "correct" mode. Addon mode works in any case, native only if you have direct file access.

kodi db files are always used. The "sync" syncs the kodi db(s) with emby server.

The difference is, in native mode kodi db(s) are loaded with (direct) filepathes (that's why file access is necessary). Addon mode loads "virtual http" pathes (piped through websocket) and redirects it to Emby server.

Native mode has only one benefit. If an external plugin is related to native file pathes (which are very very few), addon mode will not work for them.

On the other hand, if you use native filepathes, several features (multivideo, transcoding and several more) are not supported. Addon-mode manipulates/injects some modifications when queries those "virtual http" pathes.

The manipulations are required, due a lag of Kodi native support for those features.

The reason I preferred native mode over addon mode in the past is that it worked even when the Emby4Kodi addon was having problems or hanging in a sync loop. I could still play my media files. If I remember correctly, I could even disable the addon after a full sync and work with the existing links in the database. I have now moved to addon mode, but run into the issue that while the addon is busy doing something on startup, I can't play my files. Will test with the latest build next week.

• Like 1