Constant freezing when playing 4K

CHA0SENG7NE
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CHA0SENG7NE

I have tried the 2017 Shield. Still the same problem.

I have tried using an external player (VLC) direct paths turned on. Playing absolutely fine. Whilst it's playing I turn the server off and it's still going after 10 mins

I will try some other suggestions next is the AET app and nic setting mentioned earlier.

CHA0SENG7NE
1 hour ago, CBers said:

Do you have another Emby client you can use? 

Just wondering if it's exoplayer. 

TL;DR Have you tried an external player? 

I have just tested with emby theater on another pc. Direct play looking on the dashboard of server. Just played no problem. No stutter. Even with the shield using the external player direct path mode at the same time.

CHA0SENG7NE
16 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

What about NIC negotiation? Maybe auto isn't playing well? Maybe try choosing 1gig full duplex? 

948358529_NICnegotiation.thumb.jpg.29b3797784050d183998f172da983945.jpg

Just tried and same issue also tried the offload disabled. As mentioned before. It didn't work. Still stuttered.

FrostByte
37 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

I have just tested with emby theater on another pc. Direct play looking on the dashboard of server. Just played no problem. No stutter. Even with the shield using the external player direct path mode at the same time.

Did you also try ET on the Shield?  That has a newer version of Exoplayer than ATV currently

1 hour ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

I have only tried the version available from the play store. So this is different to that. I'm happy to give it a try and report back

The latest version (currently v3.1.39) is available in the first post, which you can then side-load onto your Shield. 

It has an Emby built version of exoplayer in, so is slightly newer/better than the version in the ATV app. 

Edited by CBers

CHA0SENG7NE

Just trying to install now but struggling.

I have downloaded from the link

emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk

Hopefully I can get it to work

FrostByte

You'll need some File Explorer type app on the Shield, then just navigate to your USB or wherever you placed the apk and click install.  So easy even crusher11 could do it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

i have done an initial test by adding a new library to my test server with the two movie

my server is win 10 if that matters

i added the library path as unc to start with to see what results we get

OK try something for me please.

Map the drive in windows and then setup your library in Emby with the drive letter and no UNC at all.  Not in the optional spot as well.

How does it play now?  Same as when you used UNC or worse?

Actually i would suggest avoiding mapped drives because when they idle windows will disconnect them, and your Emby Server won't be able to reach them. I would use the original network location.

37 minutes ago, Luke said:

Actually i would suggest avoiding mapped drives because when they idle windows will disconnect them, and your Emby Server won't be able to reach them. I would use the original network location.

This is just a test for him to try to see if there is a performance difference.

PenkethBoy

i already did the map drive test - it has no effect - same result as unc

only way to stop the pausing is to have the media local to the server

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't have any problems playing these videos?

With a 10Gb back bone I would not think you would see these issues.

sooty234
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

With a 10Gb back bone I would not think you would see these issues.

So does penkethboy, but still only 1G to the shield. I do have flow control, jumbo frames and other stuff configured. Maybe that stops shield from getting hungry.... I don't have a manufactured NAS, though.

I can play them back as well without issue on my 10G network but if I use a NAS or File Server on 1G I have this issue. :)

It's a network throughput issue.  If on 1G I apply QOS then most of the time this also fixes the issue.

FrostByte

I just played all of 1917 remux with TrueHD track with no issues.  Emby server is located on Synology NAS.  Shield 2019 pro and NAS both hard wired into same wifi extender.

5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I just played all of 1917 remux with TrueHD track with no issues.  Emby server is located on Synology NAS.  Shield 2019 pro and NAS both hard wired into same wifi extender.

Now setup a PC running Emby Server pulling data from your NAS and sending it to your Shield. Direct from PC or direct from NAS is not an issue.  Only with the NAS->PC->Client on high bitrate 4K files like 75 Mbps+

FrostByte

Audiomixer has a similar issue, though he's running server on his Shield where the client is and only the the media is on the NAS.  So only 2 devices vs 3.  Shield-->NAS-->Shield and his has similar buffering.  I would assume then that ATV Exoplayer isn't directly accessing the data like VLC does as an external player, put pulling the data instead.  

sooty234

I created a test library on one of my machines, earlier. It's only got a 1G hook up. I put Vertigo on it. Playing it with the shield, every few minutes it pauses. So this is very demonstrable.

• Like 1