Constant freezing when playing 4K

CHA0SENG7NE
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CHA0SENG7NE

Could you have a DAS connection from the window server to QNAP and using the 4 ports on the QNAP connect to the rest of the network?

vdatanet
6 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

Could you have a DAS connection from the window server to QNAP and using the 4 ports on the QNAP connect to the rest of the network?

You can do that with some QNAP models with a thunderbolt adapter, but that adapter is not available for your model. This adapter is usually available for 10 Gb models and yours is 1 Gb.

Edited by vdatanet

CHA0SENG7NE
12 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

You can do that with some QNAP models with a thunderbolt adapter, but that adapter is not available for your model. This adapter is usually available for 10 Gb models and yours is 1 Gb.

Well that sucks

rbjtech
32 minutes ago, CBers said:

What is DAC please?

Sorry, typo - yes DAS - Direct Attached Storage - SATA/SAS..

• Like 1

vdatanet
41 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

In this thread.  Only difference is that they are testing server on the Shield and it's buffering when it ran perfect before on his NAS.

So this issue is not present in Plex. Can someone repeat the tests using Plex under the same conditions as when the test was done using Emby? I hope you don't get banned for this. 😀

My intention is not to advertise Plex is to be able to conclude if it is a hardware limitation.

Edited by vdatanet

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

Well that sucks

There may be light at the end of the tunnel if what @cayars said can be fully tested (and I have zero reason to doubt him).  You basically put a 2nd physical NIC into the emby 'server' and connect this to the NAS, leaving the other NIC to communicate with the clients.   We need more details though - if on a separate subnet, if so, how are the networks routing to/from each other.  I tried this much earlier in this thread as a separate 'storage vlan'  but that made no difference, but I have not done it as a separate storage physical lan.  May do so today but if cayars has done this and can provide details - then it may be a solution for you for the sake of an extra NIC in your server..

CHA0SENG7NE
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

There may be light at the end of the tunnel if what @cayars said can be fully tested (and I have zero reason to doubt him).  You basically put a 2nd physical NIC into the emby 'server' and connect this to the NAS, leaving the other NIC to communicate with the clients.   We need more details though - if on a separate subnet, if so, how are the networks routing to/from each other.  I tried this much earlier in this thread as a separate 'storage vlan'  but that made no difference, but I have not done it as a separate storage physical lan.  May do so today but if cayars has done this and can provide details - then it may be a solution for you for the sake of an extra NIC in your server..

Just for reference the windows server i have has a single nic, I have a usb3 to nic adapter - would that suffice in a test? 

1 hour ago, CBers said:

Not sure I can bullshit as well as you though 😂

Just a little practice, not that hard.  I know you have it in you. LOL

CHA0SENG7NE
26 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Should be fine yes, assuming the server has full speed USB3 ports - USB2 would not be great ..

it does

rbjtech

So I have setup my NAS to be on a different physical NIC in the same server - it's on a different VLAN - and the results are the same.  Although this time, it can be very clearly seen what the 2nd (storage) NIC is up to - with some VERY interesting developments.

10 Mbit H264 Jellyfish file - Plays OK - Note the limit @ 55 Mbit/sec DESPITE THIS BEING A 10 Mbit File - Note the duration - I did it twice because I missed it the first time.  It is NOT streaming !  It is filling a buffer as quickly as it can.  The buffer fill is complete before the file has finished playing ...

10Mbit.thumb.PNG.275b34f11327e7dfc95319a61f8ecc76.PNG

25 Mbit H264 Jellyfish file - Plays OK - Note the same ~55 Mbit limit - 'buffer' now taking longer to fill / maintain.

25Mbit.thumb.PNG.acced7fc07fbb0814898a4db6d3aa571.PNG

50 Mbit H264 Jellyfish file - Note the same limit @ 55 Mbit/sec - Note the duration - twice as long as above ..

50Mbit.thumb.PNG.6c18a8ecdec0529a4c3ddd41e72f19ac.PNG

100 Mbit H264 Jellyfish file - Note the same limit @ 55 Mbit/sec - Note the duration - twice as long as above ..  Playback now stutters..

100Mbit.thumb.PNG.83c149119cf2471796853d175b09f06a.PNG

Nothing is contending on this network.

So in summary - despite what I originally thought, the data is not being read as it's needed with a small buffer, it looks to be read as fast as it can with a large buffer - up to a max of 50 Mbit/sec (for me) and then played from the buffer.  I would imagine the buffer management or refresh is where things are going wrong ?

• Like 1

vdatanet

Another test:

Emby: Ubuntu Server single NIC 1 Gb
Storage: Synology NAS sin NIC 1 Gb
Protocol: SMB
Media: 1917 about 70 Mbps, audio DD+
Result: Perfect playback without freezing

IMG_1633.thumb.jpg.6a7241a8468b5a2ab46726f57dcc0340.jpg

475801020_Capturadepantalla2020-09-28alas13_59_32.thumb.png.6679d4f796a6eb67b0230141e799b79f.png

• Like 2

rbjtech
32 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

I did not expect these results: The Linux SMB client performs better than the native Windows client.

Indeed - your LAN traffic is way in excess of 50Mbit/sec.   I need to finish off finding out what is happening to the Windows Server (I have procmon from sysinternals running..) but I'd like to try a Unix VM running Emby on the same machine using the same NIC.    The plot thickens..

The Windows SMB client is not the issue here - as standalone it can transfer 120 Mbytes/sec over a 1Gig link without issue - however, in combination with the Emby Server - the Emby 'buffer' cannot keep up with high bitrate files - and that's the part we need to find out why.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Playing 3 sessions Vertigo: (Shield 1 Gb, Apple TV 1 Gb, Apple TV Wifi), no freezing

So are you saying this is a Windows based issue ?

vdatanet
6 minutes ago, CBers said:

So are you saying this is a Windows based issue ?

I suspect so, I can only say that Ubuntu + NAS works for me, playing high bitrate content.

rbjtech

Although there is another thread with Shield/Android Server having the same issues - I haven't been following that thread so it may not necessarily be only Emby Server for Windows.

All I can say is @vdatanet is the only user that is able to run high bitrate content played via SMB - and he is using Emby Server for Ubuntu.

Edited by rbjtech

vdatanet
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Although there is another thread with Shield/Android Server having the same issues

The difference between me and that Android Server user is that he used the UNC path // server / share, but I have mounted the SMB share on the Linux file system. @Luke recommended that he do it, but the user has not yet reported if it has worked for him. This way I'm using a local path.

Edited by vdatanet

CHA0SENG7NE
18 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

The difference between me and that Android Server user is that he used the UNC path // server / share, but I have mounted the SMB share on the Linux file system. @Luke recommended that he do it, but the user has not yet reported if it has worked for him. This way I'm using a local path.

Would you be able to give an explanation on how to do this as i'm unsure and then i will test after

Thanks

vdatanet
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah right ok - so have you tried direct access SMB without the local Unix mount ?

I will try that tonight