Constant freezing when playing 4K

CHA0SENG7NE
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

2 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

This is why I have never had any problems with high bitrates using the qnap server? It just sends it directly without the network overhead?

Anytime the media is on the same machine as the Emby server, you should always setup the media libraries using the most direct paths possible.

CHA0SENG7NE
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Anytime the media is on the same machine as the Emby server, you should always setup the media libraries using the most direct paths possible.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks

vdatanet
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

This is clear, the problem being discussed here is when the media is on another machine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vdatanet said:

This is clear, the problem being discussed here is when the media is on another machine.

I also gave a response for that: 

CHA0SENG7NE
1 hour ago, Luke said:

If you are running Emby Server on a linux, android or MacOS server, and the server is utilizing smb shares from a windows machine, then what I would suggest is mounting the smb shares to a local share using the tools within the OS, and then adding the local share path into Emby Server.

SO to do this on a windows pc with the emby server do I......map a network drive or add a network location and point to the ip address of my qnap?

Just now, CHA0SENG7NE said:

SO to do this on a windows pc with the emby server do I......map a network drive or add a network location and point to the ip address of my qnap?

No, my comments are not about windows servers. You would just do what you're currently doing adding the network location.

vdatanet
1 minute ago, Luke said:

No, my comments are not about windows servers. You would just do what you're currently doing adding the network location.

Most test done here is Emby Server in Windows and Storage Server in Windows. This only works using 10 Gb NICs supporting RDMA

CHA0SENG7NE
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

To be clear there isnt a fix for the stuttering with seperate windows server and storage (qnap) over 1gig network?

• Like 1

vdatanet
12 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

To be clear there isnt a fix for the stuttering with seperate windows server and storage (qnap) over 1gig network?

10 Gb NIC is required with RDMA support. Using 10 Gb NIC without RDMA support you also get constant freezing. I suspect the problem is latency not bandwidth.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

@ebr does not like to add options  😀

Sure he does.  He'd love to have an option to eliminate us loud mouths from the forums.   LOL

HaHa, kidding aside from a personal position I want lots of options.  From a support stand point I hate options and just want the software to adjust automatically.

Those of you who post often in the forums  "get media" and naturally understand what option do or change.  Unfortunately that's not the case for most users.
Can't tell you how many times I'm helping a user remotely with an "issue" only to find they changed a setting in a client that is the cause for their issue.  So "self inflicted option change".  These types of APP changes are difficult to diagnose for me as I can't see the changes but have to rely on what users tell me.

I'm sure you guys know this but for those who follow some topics you'll see us/me post KB articles for remote access setup and people will say they followed directions and it didn't work.  I'll remote in and want to check port forwarding and the user can't login to the router (so no way they followed all directions).  Par for the course.

I digress, but from a support standpoint options can be an "Achilles heel" of the software.  They can easily cause more problems for people then those the options help.  Maybe if we had a "reset options" in each client...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cayars said:

He'd love to have an option to eliminate us loud mouths from the forums.

Just let me know and I can always BAN you 😂

• Haha 2

FrostByte
26 minutes ago, CBers said:

Can we put this to a vote also?  I'm sure we can get enough support to vote him off the island. :)

• Haha 2

rbjtech

I'm really not getting why the Dev's are not agreeing this is an issue and then we can all try and help to resolve.

ALL clients have this issue - i've tested on the Shield, FireTV (yes both Exo), PC Browser,  LG App (and will try and test the Samsung Tizen App today) - All have stuttering caused by the SMB shares on the Emby Server.

The threshold for me is 50 Mbit/sec (but as @PenkethBoy was saying, I'm not sure why this limit - nothing is being strained at all (CPU, Disk or Network) - do other users have different repeatable results ?

4K is not going away, 8K is on the horizon.  People are buying NAS's for their storage and will be expecting to stream media.  It needs to get fixed on the server or at least have a plan of how direct SMB access can be provided, which tbh should be done anyway - why convert something when you don't need to ?

If Exoplayer can't support SMB, then we really are at a dead end.

Kodi works, I'm unsure of P**X - but if the 'higher end' of media users start hitting this limitation - then they will abandon Emby and go elsewhere.

I've never seen this issue before until this thread, as I use DAC - but this is an option most users will NOT be doing - they will be going with NAS route.

We are happy to help @Luke - just let us know what you want us to test and we can provide the info.

• Like 1

vdatanet
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

People are buying NAS's for their storage and will be expecting to stream medi

Having Emby on a Windows Server and data on a NAS it's a pretty common scenario.

vdatanet
7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The threshold for me is 50 Mbit/sec (but as @PenkethBoy was saying, I'm not sure why this limit

A hardware or software limitation? That's my question. How can we test that?

30 minutes ago, CBers said:

I'm letting you know.  I need a brake, 30 days sounds good. But you get to take over for me ok? LOL

3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Can we put this to a vote also?  I'm sure we can get enough support to vote him off the island. :)

Can I vote myself off the Island?  Not to influence votes or anything but just to remind you I'm a terrible person, hate all users and dislike devs even more, especially those who do Roku dev work.😜

I fully expect not to be able to login later today and can start my vacation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rbjtech
Just now, vdatanet said:

The key is getting repeatable results - that's why I always use the Jellfish (http://www.jell.yfish.us/) test files as a) the are a know bitrate and b) testing will be consistent.

I'm going to use a much more powerful PC as the server today, via SMB, to see if it's still 50 Mbit/sec - if it is, then we can rule out CPU.  That's the sort of testing we need to do - methodical and planned to fully understand the issue.

• Like 1

Just now, vdatanet said:

That's the hundred thousand question.

From my limited testing this is a latency issue of getting the files to the Emby Server over a gig connection that is also used to serve the data.

With a dual homed connection where one NIC (gig) is ONLY connected to the storage server but another serving content(gig NIC)  I don't see this issue.
I've even tested this with common 4 port Netgear switches vs any smart switch (non of my Cisco or Bay switches inline)

I've tested with SMB and NFS and not found a difference on my system on a Gig connection.
Not sure how valid that is from a windows standpoint as results on Linux could be drastically different but just sharing my results.

rbjtech

I did test this myself and didn't get the same results so lets add to the 'list' of tests but we need to make it constant.

Can you expand on exactly how this is setup ?

NAS Brand/Type/Share type ?

How is the NAS connected to the switch ?

How is the Emby Server connected to the switch ?

What Client ?

How is the client connected to the switch ?

What media was played ?

What was the result ?

For example ... it's painful, but there is little to be gained by saying 'mine works' because that doesn't really help our cause... but we do of course welcome everyones support here - I'm not suggesting this is not valuable input because it is :)

vdatanet
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not sure how valid that is from a windows standpoint as results on Linux could be drastically different but just sharing my results.

I'm working on it, but my old NAS sucks and the tests are not reliable. I will try to get a new NAS.

Edited by vdatanet

21 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm letting you know.  I need a brake, 30 days sounds good. But you get to take over for me ok? LOL

Not sure I can bullshit as well as you though 😂

Edited by CBers
  • Haha 2

vdatanet

A politically incorrect question, has anyone tried testing using Plex? I'm not a fan of Plex, but it would be interesting to know if Plex has the same problem.

• Like 1

FrostByte
4 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

A politically incorrect question, has anyone tried testing using Plex? I'm not a fan of Plex, but it would be interesting to know if Plex has the same problem.

In this thread.  Only difference is that they are testing server on the Shield and it's buffering when it ran perfect before on his NAS.

• Like 1