Constant freezing when playing 4K

CHA0SENG7NE
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

OlishaDoon
11 hours ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

I have it working now... Finally stream type: file

Just played 15 mins without a hiccup.

Thank you

Can You, please, mark what have You done to fix it?

vdatanet
34 minutes ago, OlishaDoon said:

Can You, please, mark what have You done to fix it?

Enabling direct file playback on Nvidia Shield. A wiki article is on the way. In short:

1. Install Android TV beta .36
2. Enable direct file playback in settings (Android TV app)
3. Mount your network storage in Nvidia Shield
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4836/~/how-do-i-share-pc-folders-with-shield
4. Check the mount point name in Nvidia Shield
5. Make sure the Emby library path matches the mount point name in Nvidia Shield. You can use the alternate path. Be careful, that route is case sensitive:

If your Nvidia Shield mount point is /storage/YOURSERVER/Your_SharE/ your library path or alternative path must be \\YOURSERVER\Your_SharE

During playback, check SFN (Stats for Nerds). Look at the protocol, http or file

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 4

vdatanet
3 hours ago, cayars said:

That's the point vdatanet, the hardware DOES NOT support it, nor is there any real life sources of this content available unless you're shooting and producing it yourself!

160 Mbps is higher than you're going to be able to use already.  It's essentially "unlimited" already. Other devices that run this app are going to likely be far lower than the Shield TV as it's the current Media beast for streaming.

The Devs could change 160 Mbps to "Unlimited" but it will not change what the device can play as it can't reach 160 Mbps. 

I am not in favor of setting limits with the argument that this content is unusual. I do not see so crazy that the current hardware can support that, my wallet sure not, but others... 

rbjtech

I think this thread has gone a bit off topic tbh and that discussion should probably go into 'General Discussion' but I completely agree with @cayars 

If you have access to uncompressed masters, good for you - but don't expect a product designed for commercially available media to play them.

• Like 1

OlishaDoon
2 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Enabling direct file playback on Nvidia Shield. A wiki article is on the way. In short:

1. Install Android TV beta .36
2. Enable direct file playback in settings (Android TV app)
3. Mount your network storage in Nvidia Shield
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4836/~/how-do-i-share-pc-folders-with-shield
4. Check the mount point name in Nvidia Shield
5. Make sure the Emby library path matches the mount point name in Nvidia Shield. You can use the alternate path. Be careful, that route is case sensitive:

If your Nvidia Shield mount point is /storage/YOURSERVER/Your_SharE/ your library path or alternative path must be \\YOURSERVER\Your_SharE

During playback, check SFN (Stats for Nerds). Look at the protocol, http or file

Thank You, Sir

CHA0SENG7NE

I have tried the latest atv app 38g and server 4.6.0.2 

Set library to just standard IP address of media.

Played some 4k remux files. 

It's working perfectly. Stream type is http.

HDR works

Atmos and DTS X works

Takes 3 seconds to play

Windows server. Qnap media

Network storage isnt mounted in shield

Amazing job.

Edited by CHA0SENG7NE
  • Like 3

• Solution

thanks for the feedback. We'll be putting out a 4.5.2 server update with the performance fix. Thanks.

• Like 1

CHA0SENG7NE

It literally just works without any effort. Just tried on another shield.. same again. Worked first time. Plays smoothly.

CHA0SENG7NE
1 minute ago, Luke said:

thanks for the feedback. We'll be putting out a 4.5.2 server update with the performance fix. Thanks.

Thanks for all the help on this thread. It's been amazing. Everyone chipping in with ideas and solutions. It's an excellent community of clever people and very patient.

The end result is a fix and easy setup for the end user.

Once the stable release is out I will switch over from my qnap to the windows server. Happy days.

• Like 4

rbjtech

@CHA0SENG7NE - could you also mark Luke's Beta response with 'best answer' - as it's a long thread and other people will likely want to jump directly to the answer 😉

• Like 1

CBers
1 minute ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

Sure, how?

Click the TICK to the left of the relevant post.
image.png.99aeb67be16ee3b7706160ca855ab640.png

• Like 1