Constant freezing when playing 4K

CHA0SENG7NE
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CHA0SENG7NE
4 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

i just want use to try and get a closer approx similar setup as we can

if it does not happen with 2017 - then you have your answer its a Nvidia firmware issue - or at least related

That would be a shocker if that was the cause

vdatanet

Related to this, when we add a folder to a library we can indicate the path of the shared folder, so that in a local environment with direct play, the path can be used instead of http streaming. What clients support this?

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Related to this, when we add a folder to a library we can indicate the path of the shared folder, so that in a local environment with direct play, the path can be used instead of http streaming. What clients support this?

A good question - if we can use this, then the problem is eliminated !Ā  You can use this via the Android client if you specify to use an External player/setup the direct access permissions (did this earlier today, works fine with VLC as the player - played 1918 4K fine) but then of course you lose all the Emby on-screen features..

PenkethBoy

i have done an initial test by adding a new library to my test server with the two movie

my server is win 10 if that matters

i added the library path as unc to start with to see what results we get

Played Alita first - initially the network was doing about 25 MB/s - initial couple of bumps on the network trace - then a few mins in this flat lined at approx 8MB/s

1087057846_AlitaUNC.thumb.jpg.e23c054e66462c115bee74ea46a47f6c.jpg

cpu approx 20% and MS Networking SMB 6% cpu

Not pausing or stuttering

Ā 

Then tried 1917

1821885369_1917Unc.jpg.2c6ef6c543785bdad0f0015ed08b5e9f.jpg

1917 starts from the drop to zero on left side

was expecting the trace to jump up as the shield caches the movie (or part of it) as i thought it did for Alita - but that could be emby as just added a new library for it to process on ATV

but now it just went back 7-8MB/s

Initially it plays fine

then pauses for a few seconds every 1 min or so - its not unwatchable - just annoying

Ā 

No point trying anything else - its not the QNAP as its hardly breaking sweat and my test pc is not involved as using the unc path the shield can access the file directly

so either the Emby ATV app or the Shield are the smoking gun for me

Shield App 33g

PenkethBoy
12 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

A good question - if we can use this, then the problem is eliminated !Ā  You can use this via the Android client if you specify to use an External player/setup the direct access permissions (did this earlier today, works fine with VLC as the player - played 1918 4K fine) but then of course you lose all the Emby on-screen features..

Nice idea but i deliberately used a unc path for my first ofĀ  my planned several test but the pausing does occur even with a UNC path (only path added to library) so no more test necessary

5 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

No point trying anything else - its not the QNAP as its hardly breaking sweat and my test pc is not involved as using the unc path the shield can access the file directly

So if you shut down your Emby server, does playback continue?Ā 

PenkethBoy

it does for 30 seconds then stops on ATV

My test pc has netrok traffic of no more than 100kb/s - as i am reading frourms like this but 100% not involved directly in data to shield

just a hand shake / keep alive or similar - that atv detects after 30 sec has gone so stops playback i guess would have expected it to continue till end of movie - then have a strop as cant see server - but maybe its expected not tried before

Ā 

PenkethBoy

2113316843_Annotation2020-09-26183718.jpg.9d04d59800c9ba9f5fdf7e1205dbf442.jpg

drop to zero one - me manually stopping 1917

then me playing Alita again

drop to zero two - me turning of emby server

then my playing alita again after turning server back on

Interestingly ATV did not complain to the user - logs might be different though :)

• Like 1

CHA0SENG7NE
22 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

i have done an initial test by adding a new library to my test server with the two movie

my server is win 10 if that matters

i added the library path as unc to start with to see what results we get

Played Alita first - initially the network was doing about 25 MB/s - initial couple of bumps on the network trace - then a few mins in this flat lined at approx 8MB/s

1087057846_AlitaUNC.thumb.jpg.e23c054e66462c115bee74ea46a47f6c.jpg

cpu approx 20% and MS Networking SMB 6% cpu

Not pausing or stuttering

Ā 

Then tried 1917

1821885369_1917Unc.jpg.2c6ef6c543785bdad0f0015ed08b5e9f.jpg

1917 starts from the drop to zero on left side

was expecting the trace to jump up as the shield caches the movie (or part of it) as i thought it did for Alita - but that could be emby as just added a new library for it to process on ATV

but now it just went back 7-8MB/s

Initially it plays fine

then pauses for a few seconds every 1 min or so - its not unwatchable - just annoying

Ā 

so either the Emby ATV app or the Shield are the smoking gun for me

Shield App 33g

This is exactly what I have been suffering. Good to see it can be replicated.

5 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

This is exactly what I have been suffering. Good to see it can be replicated.

Do you have another Emby client you can use?Ā 

Just wondering if it's exoplayer.Ā 

TL;DR Have you tried an external player?Ā 

PenkethBoy
12 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

So what are we thinking, here? The server is getting in the way of truly direct playing?

No i dont think so but there appears to be some communication between the server and the client - handshake/update progress - opposite to the client being shutdown by a user but did not stop playback - or similar

Just going to try from my 2012r2 server for same files with its unc path and see if results are different or not

FrostByte

I startedĀ a movie with ATV and selected VLC as an external player while passing the direct path.Ā  Then I shutdown Emby server.Ā  I'm about 15 minutes in right now so assume it's direct playing because Emby server is down now

sooty234
2 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

No i dont think so but there appears to be some communication between the server and the client - handshake/update progress - opposite to the client being shutdown by a user but did not stop playback - or similar

Just going to try from my 2012r2 server for same files with its unc path and see if results are different or not

Oh right, of course there is. Playback position among other things. To allow resuming.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

yep but ifĀ server dies then that could be kept local until server comes back even if ATV closed etc etc and several days later

But this is emby i guess

CHA0SENG7NE
28 minutes ago, CBers said:

I can use a decent Pc with emby theater if that's a help?Ā 

CHA0SENG7NE
31 minutes ago, CBers said:

I'm testing using VLC as external player to see now.....

PenkethBoy

Ok - just tried playing from my 2012r2 server - same setup as the NAS

only diff was unc path was different to copies of the same files

So nothing to do with a NAS

Some weird bug for @ebrĀ to look at

Oh and if i turn off the serverĀ  with 2012r2 as source - ATV stops playback after 20-30 seconds

PenkethBoy

as a final couple of tests

I mapped the unc path to the remote drive - still pauses

But if i use my normal server (beta) which has the movies on local drives - NO Pauses