Constant freezing when playing 4K

CHA0SENG7NE
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

PenkethBoy

Ok - can i ask what the summary of the problem is - time limit so have not read the whole thread

I have an 853A QNAP some model as CE just a couple more disks - which is shared to my PC via smb (mapped drive) - works fine - no freezing that i have seen - running on .30 currently

So if you can give me an accurate example i can test it - to compare - but you need to be quick as i will be packing my NAS away for my move on monday in a few hours!

9 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Probably worth a shot, I think. 

Always worth testing since it's an easy test!

Another useful test is to try turning off "Large Send Offload V2" for IP4 and IP6 on the advanced tab of your NIC in Windows.

You shouldn't have any security type programs looking or touching anything being transferred nor any of the locations Emby may write data.  For that matter on a dedicated Windows setup for Emby and not other use (surfing the net) remove that crap and just use Defender only.

You can try turning off IP6 leaving only IP4.  I do get better performance without IP6 in my environment.  I've seen the opposite as well.

Don't have your Emby server and Storage/file server both running through your router's built in switch but instead using a dedicated switch with only one ethernet connection going from the router to that switch.  Switches built into routers often don't "switch" at full speed.

You can try turning on QOS services if you have them.

Obviously these may/may not make a difference but always worth testing but do them one at a time so you know what you're testing.

CHA0SENG7NE
43 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

It must be related to the NAS, because I don't have any issues. My shield plays well, whether wireless or wired. 

If you dont mind me asking do you have a server and storage as a single unit or seperate over a network?

1 minute ago, PenkethBoy said:

Ok - can i ask what the summary of the problem is - time limit so have not read the whole thread

I have an 853A QNAP some model as CE just a couple more disks - which is shared to my PC via smb (mapped drive) - works fine - no freezing that i have seen - running on .30 currently

So if you can give me an accurate example i can test it - to compare - but you need to be quick as i will be packing my NAS away for my move on monday in a few hours!

He's getting stuttering on high bitrate files around 75 Mbps when using this NAS->PC/Emby->Client but no stuttering when doing NAS->Client.

sooty234
1 hour ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

If you dont mind me asking do you have a server and storage as a single unit or seperate over a network?

You saw my topology. You can see exactly how my network is configured. They are separate.

Edited by sooty234

CHA0SENG7NE
Just now, sooty234 said:

You saw my topography. You can see exactly how my network is configured. They are separate.

Ah sorry thought that was someone else

PenkethBoy
5 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

Both! :) 

PenkethBoy

so stutter when emby(installed on pc) uses NAS as LAN remote storage

ok will give that a go

is the client important - or is it all types?

CHA0SENG7NE
2 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

so stutter when emby(installed on pc) uses NAS as LAN remote storage

ok will give that a go

is the client important - or is it all types?

The clients are Nvidia Shields

sooty234
3 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

Now i feel like a fish out of water! Just dont have the technical knowledge this is getting into...🤐

What are you not understanding?

rbjtech
43 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Is it possible that using jumbo packets might help? I always enable jumbo packets.

Jumbo packets will help in a situation where you have latency, ie a delay inbetween a packet being acknowledged before the next one is sent.  On a simple home LAN, latency should be effectively ZERO - in the microseconds ranges (not milliseconds).  Therefore Jumbo frames will likely cause frame fragmentation or padding frames - so unless there is a specific need, it is best not to dabble in the frame size ...

rbjtech

It's the bitrate that is the issue @PenkethBoy - I expect it to start stalling @ ~50 Mbit/sec - Windows Emby Server or the TCP Stack can't keep up with the SMB>HTTP conversion.

Edited by rbjtech

CHA0SENG7NE
1 minute ago, PenkethBoy said:

ok have shields to try

what version of the ATV shield app are you using ?

I have both 2017 and 2019 pro. The main one for the 4k is 2019 pro shield

• Like 1

PenkethBoy
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Jumbo packets will help in a situation where you have latency, ie a delay inbetween a packet being acknowledged before the next one is sent.  On a simple home LAN, latency should be effectively ZERO - in the microseconds ranges (not milliseconds).  Therefore Jumbo frames will likely cause frame fragmentation or padding frames - so unless there is a specific need, it is best not to dabble in the frame size ...

Jumbo frames - if set the same on each switch and device - will increase speed as the packs will be the same size - so frame frag should be zero - have mixed frame size and yes frame frag will happen

if i reset to default jumbo frames 1500 from 9000 i get slower speeds - 5-15MB/s different - for same traffic tests - within my LAN

CHA0SENG7NE
Just now, PenkethBoy said:

i dont have a pro - can you try the 2017 with 4k and do you get the problem?

I havent but i sure can. I thought the newer one would be better but i can do that no problem

PenkethBoy

ok - have found movies

1917 - bitrate 70+ Mb/s according to emby

Alita Battle Angel - bitrate 46+ Mb/s

to test with

Edited by PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

i just want use to try and get a closer approx similar setup as we can

if it does not happen with 2017 - then you have your answer its a Nvidia firmware issue - or at least related

sooty234
4 minutes ago, CHA0SENG7NE said:

This may be an over simplification, but think of it in terms of language. A translation needs to happen, for the information to continue on its way. What's being suggested is that something isn't going smoothly in that process. 

CHA0SENG7NE
1 minute ago, sooty234 said:

This may be an over simplification, but think of it in terms of language. A translation needs to happen, for the information to continue on its way. What's being suggested is that something isn't going smoothly in that process. 

Thank you still very green when it comes to networking but this is fantastic learning curve.

CHA0SENG7NE
4 minutes ago, PenkethBoy said:

ok - have found movies

1917 - bitrate 70+ MB/s according to emby

Alita Battle Angel - bitrate 46+ MB/s

to test with

1917 is the stumbler for me it hits 89mb/s when playing using the stats for nerds. perfect test file