Just now, sooty234 said:

You know if you guys got 'big boy' NICs, you wouldn't have to do any of this :D

Or running Emby on a Linux server. 😃

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

You know if you guys got 'big boy' NICs, you wouldn't have to do any of this :D

8 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Or running Emby on a Linux server. 😃

Yes, but now now we can play higher bit rate files and reboot/restart the server with stuff playing at 140 Mbps.

Top  that.  LOL

sooty234
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes, but now now we can play higher bit rate files and reboot/restart the server with stuff playing at 140 Mbps.

Top  that.  LOL

The only limitations I have are what emby implements. I'll request it again. There should be an unlimited option in the settings. Stop getting in my way :P

You're missing the point being made.  You can't play as fast via HTTP as you can by FILE method.

The app was upped to 160 Mbits/sec Max Streaming rate as well which is faster than the box can handle so it's basically unlimited now from multiple standpoints.

sooty234
Just now, cayars said:

You're missing the point being made.  You can't play as fast via HTTP as you can by FILE method.

The app was upped to 160 Mbits/sec Max Streaming rate as well which is faster than the box can handle so it's basically unlimited now from multipleb standpoints.

You are the one missing the point. I don't have the restrictions that you have. There's nothing in my way other than emby. My HTPCs are only held back by the software. Remove the limitations! 

th.jpeg

vdatanet
8 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

You are the one missing the point. I don't have the restrictions that you have. There's nothing in my way other than emby. My HTPCs are only held back by the software. Remove the limitations! 

th.jpeg

Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force

• Haha 1

sooty234
2 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force

Lol... that's awesome.

Sooty234, If you have no issue with any of the media you play then why did you need higher bitrates? Doesn't sound like any previous limit were in your way???
Definitely won't be now with the 160 Mbps option.

You should know you can't play faster than direct file access as you have removed all other obstacles, protocol changes, etc so it's unlimited now in the LAN for those who setup to File Play which is strictly optional.

PS I never had issues as I have DAS storage on a 10 Gb network for most of my core.

Happy2Play

So was the issue specific to configuration, getting setup properly for direct file play or was it a combination of changes with the client and paths?

sooty234

Whenever I get new movie, I'm repeatedly checking the bitrate to make sure it isn't too high for emby. I would like to stop doing that. There's plenty of media out there that is higher than 160Mb/s. I avoid it because of this. When I get my new GPU with HDMI 2.1, I want to rip the roof off this stuff. Emby is in the way with these ridiculous restrictions.

Carlo, you have very low standards. 

Edited by sooty234
  • Like 1

vdatanet
Just now, Happy2Play said:

So was the issue specific to configuration, getting setup properly for direct file play or was it a combination of changes with the client and paths?

Direct file play is a workaround, there’s something wrong while serving http from an smb share.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Whenever I get new movie, I'm repeatedly checking the bitrate to make sure it isn't too high for emby. I would like to stop doing that. There's plenty of media out there that is higher than 160Mb/s. I avoid it because of this. When I get my new GPU with HDMI 2.1, I want to rip the roof off this stuff. Emby is in the way with these ridiculous restrictions.

What exact format rips are you doing?

Dual-layer UHDBR discs with a capacity of 66GB support a max bitrate of 108Mbps. Triple-layer discs (100GB) will allow for up to 128Mbps.
So you got some mythical unicorn discs?  LOL

Edit. You're still missing the point.  Emby has removed the restrictions completely because it lets the device access the file directly.  You CAN'T get faster than that.

Edited by cayars

You know people at the studios that slip you better quality copies than you can get on disc?
I personally know of no higher bitrate originals than those to work with so yes still using discs since it's the highest quality you can get.

sooty234
1 hour ago, cayars said:

You know people at the studios that slip you better quality copies than you can get on disc?
I personally know of no higher bitrate originals than those to work with so yes still using discs since it's the highest quality you can get.

You do realize that media on disc is compressed, right? What we get on disc isn't its original state... They film it, edit it...and then compress it.

Oh Carlo. I'm going to say this with all the love that I can muster. Stop watching sport. It's making your mind as sharp as a spoon. Save yourself....there may still be time....

3 hours ago, sooty234 said:

You do realize that media on disc is compressed, right? What we get on disc isn't its original state... They film it, edit it...and then compress it.

Oh Carlo. I'm going to say this with all the love that I can muster. Stop watching sport. It's making your mind as sharp as a spoon. Save yourself....there may still be time....

Of course I understand this and so do most, but we're not talking about unicorn media or uncompressed media. That is not what Emby is designed for or what any of us every talk about using Emby for.   None of us every talk about streaming uncompressed or original footage.  You're not using Emby for this either because you can't. Sure we can shoot higher or digitize from original film, but then go through a production process, edit and conversion to a compressed format that can be used for streaming.

Unless it's personal media you've shot you don't have access to these high end formats of raw materials so let's get realistic. We are talking here about movies and TV Shows. The best you're going to get right now is rips you do yourself of 3 layer discs and that's going to be limited to 128 Mbps and it's hard to find disc higher than 100 Mbps.  A "high end" 4K movie at present will top out at below 100 Mbps normally because it gets to the point the extra bitrate is an issue on the equipment people use and offer little gain for extra bits when already compressed.  There's a point around 80 Mbps for video where going higher doesn't make much/little difference.  You can have lots of additional audio tracks but we don't need 5 kinds of audio in 3 to 5 languages and can strip the audio tracks during ripping that aren't needed.

A 4K 60fps, 4:4:4, HDR using 10bit compressions will top out at 23Gbps uncompressed. That's beyond what you can push to your monitor via HDMI already. Even discs with DV don't reach this high because they can't.  They will do maybe 3 of the 4, that is, 4K/60 4:4:4 but drop HDR, or 4K/30 4:4:4 with HDR (drop to 30fps), or 4K/60 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 with HDR (drop the 4:4:4).

Those are the best formats we can get today for media to rip period.  Without HDMI 2.1 you aren't going to source or be able to play media that uncompresses to higher than 18 Gbps as your video system can't handle it.

You're not going to find movie/tv show media made for production use that's higher than this until we get a new standards that are popular enough to ship new style discs that WE CAN RIP from. These 4K, 3 layer discs aren't dinosaurs but the best source of media we can source media from at present.

sooty234
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Of course I understand this and so do most, but we're not talking about unicorn media or uncompressed media. That is not what Emby is designed for or what any of us every talk about using Emby for.   None of us every talk about streaming uncompressed or original footage.  You're not using Emby for this either because you can't. Sure we can shoot higher or digitize from original film, but then go through a production process, edit and conversion to a compressed format that can be used for streaming.

Unless it's personal media you've shot you don't have access to these high end formats of raw materials so let's get realistic. We are talking here about movies and TV Shows. The best you're going to get right now is rips you do yourself of 3 layer discs and that's going to be limited to 128 Mbps and it's hard to find disc higher than 100 Mbps.  A "high end" 4K movie at present will top out at below 100 Mbps normally because it gets to the point the extra bitrate is an issue on the equipment people use and offer little gain for extra bits when already compressed.  There's a point around 80 Mbps for video where going higher doesn't make much/little difference.  You can have lots of additional audio tracks but we don't need 5 kinds of audio in 3 to 5 languages and can strip the audio tracks during ripping that aren't needed.

A 4K 60fps, 4:4:4, HDR using 10bit compressions will top out at 23Gbps uncompressed. That's beyond what you can push to your monitor via HDMI already. Even discs with DV don't reach this high because they can't.  They will do maybe 3 of the 4, that is, 4K/60 4:4:4 but drop HDR, or 4K/30 4:4:4 with HDR (drop to 30fps), or 4K/60 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 with HDR (drop the 4:4:4).

Those are the best formats we can get today for media to rip period.  Without HDMI 2.1 you aren't going to source or be able to play media that uncompresses to higher than 18 Gbps as your video system can't handle it.

You're not going to find movie/tv show media made for production use that's higher than this until we get a new standards that are popular enough to ship new style discs that WE CAN RIP from. These 4K, 3 layer discs aren't dinosaurs but the best source of media we can source media from at present.

6 hours ago, sooty234 said:

Good job Carlo. You're a legend in your own living room. Almost nothing you said applies. You seem to think that you set the standard. That if the great Carlo can't or doesn't do something, nobody else does. You really need to stuff your ego somewhere. I can tell you with certainty, that you have no influence on what I do with my media. Emby's limits are in my way, regardless of any opinion you might have. My request, stands....so you should sit....in a corner.....silently.  

• Like 1

vdatanet

I understand that media with a bitrate greater than 160 Mbps are not available to the average user, but if the hardware (both client and server) allows it, this limitation should not be imposed. I don't find it unreasonable to have an option in the player with unlimited bandwidth.

vdatanet

Bruce Lee:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Don't limit bitrate my friend.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

That's the point vdatanet, the hardware DOES NOT support it, nor is there any real life sources of this content available unless you're shooting and producing it yourself!

160 Mbps is higher than you're going to be able to use already.  It's essentially "unlimited" already. Other devices that run this app are going to likely be far lower than the Shield TV as it's the current Media beast for streaming.

The Devs could change 160 Mbps to "Unlimited" but it will not change what the device can play as it can't reach 160 Mbps. 

Edited by cayars

1 hour ago, sooty234 said:

Good job Carlo. You're a legend in your own living room. Almost nothing you said applies. You seem to think that you set the standard. That if the great Carlo can't or doesn't do something, nobody else does. You really need to stuff your ego somewhere. I can tell you with certainty, that you have no influence on what I do with my media. Emby's limits are in my way, regardless of any opinion you might have. My request, stands....so you should sit....in a corner.....silently.  

These aren't "Carlo standards" but the standards of the devices and equipment available today. I simply pointed out the reality of what the best media you can get right now to RIP for movies and shows is, nothing more or less.  You're the one claiming you can get much higher bitrate files and trying to say I'm working with "dinosaur" stuff  and low bitrate files.

Maybe I'm a dino and working with dino stuff.  Enlighten me and teach us all where/how you get these high bitrate files so we all learn.
Until you can justify the nonsense you're talking about in productions houses which have nothing to do with our streaming platform I'm saying the discs we buy and rip from are the best we can get right now and they have a cap on the bitrate.  So do the HDMI ports when this data is uncompressed.

So please share how you get these higher than 128 Mbps Movies and Shows you need to stream that Emby can't support.

Edit: even test files that are produced higher than 128 Mbps top out playing without video before 160 Mbps.  The HW is the current limit, not the Emby setting of 160 Mbps.

Edited by cayars