Wait until everything is finished.

#22 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13711 posts
  • Local time: 04:50 PM

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:27 PM

What do you think about doing a new build on AMD Chips? I was thinking about doing a build based on AMD Ryzen 5 Generation 2 chips. I was thinking about:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 2.4GHz 6 Core

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX Mobo

with 16GB of ram and then all my normal drives and what not.

https://emby.media/c...n-is-the-go-to/

#23 heypaleblue OFFLINE  

heypaleblue

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:03 PM

Looks Like I'll be going to the store then!

#24 heypaleblue OFFLINE  

heypaleblue

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:26 PM

Everything is finish and a final library scan has been completed.

• I ripped a sample movie using setting I believe support direct playback (see screenshot ConversionSetting)
  • I am test 2 streams 1 on an Android Smartphone running android 9 over cellular connection and the other is my desktop using firefox
  • I am streaming 2 1080p movies at 6Mbps (See Screenshot StreamStats)
  • When opening the movies, My GPU was pegged at 70% while the movies were transcoding ahead of their stream. My batman stream (desktop) keeps cutting in an out.

What makes no sense is why these things are transcoding if I'm ripping them correctly. AS well, media that the dashboard that says is direct playing has a lag before opening.

From the logs:

12:20 Log Time - Opened Cedar Rapids (ripped with what I believe are settings that enable direct play back) from my android 9.0 phone over cellular connection. A lag in opening was present and it's chopped out 1-2. It says it's transcoding now and I'm not sure why

12:24 Log Time - opened Another Stream session Boston Legal, Which previous was reporting as direct playing and now it's saying it's transcoding.

without consistency from Emby I'm not really sure what's going on how I can fix this. Can anyone suggest a settings profile handbrake? I've attached logs and the best thing I can think of at this point is either I'm supplying the wrong settings in handbrake OR my hardware can't handle 2x HD streams or even really multiple streams at once which mean I should probably upgrade my hardware.

Attached Files

Edited by heypaleblue, 29 December 2019 - 10:28 PM.

#25 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13711 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:40 PM

Now it's saying the bitrate is too high. Look in the app settings and see if there's limit set. Also, check the user profile settings in the server, to see if there's a limit set. How is the phone connecting to the network?

#26 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13711 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:41 PM

When playing, in the app you can pull up the stats for nerds. That will tell you what's happening.

#27 heypaleblue OFFLINE  

heypaleblue

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:15 AM

Alright so I read this thread and I think I understand the following as my issue:

The reason I am getting the bit-rate error is because the media is coming to my phone at a lower quality than the source file so my media server is having to transcode the media to a lesser quality before sending it to my phone and this is why I'm seeing the integrated graphics on my server peg out at 100% after starting just 2 streams. Supporting this assumption is the fact that when I change the settings on my devices to the maximum / original quality of the source file, the dashboard indicates I am no longer transcoding the file but am direct playing it and the utilization of my GPU drops proportionately.

if this is a reasonable assumption then I guess I need to do the following:

• Use Optimized settings to rip my media - Using the Roku Direct Playback Wiki Page it looks like as long as I'm ripping my media with H264 for the video and AAC for the audio, I should be good to go as far as Direct PLay being an potion.
  • Play my Media at their original quality - Since I'm ripping my media at higher qualities than I'm playing them back at my server is choking, playing them at a higher quality will alleviate the need to transcode my movies and get rid of the lag I'm experiencing.
  • Figure out a way to Force Direct Play - This would likely mean Emby would assume I want my media streamed to me at the original, higher quality and cause it not to utilize the GPU to transcode my media. The trade off here is I would me using more bandwidth on the lan and on my data plan if I am not mistaken.
  • Buy a GPU for my server that supports Hardware Acceleration - Luke shared the hardware acceleration overview so as long as I purchase a graphics card of sufficient umph then when my media DOES need to be transcoded for some reason, that will happen with the beefier GPU on the PCI bus and not the integrated graphics on my proc.

sound about right?

#28 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13711 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:24 AM

Now it's saying the bitrate is too high. Look in the app settings and see if there's limit set. Also, check the user profile settings in the server, to see if there's a limit set. How is the phone connecting to the network?

#29 heypaleblue OFFLINE  

heypaleblue

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:32 AM

on my phone all testing is done over cellular. I'm trying to ensure my server is performant even when I'm away from service.

#30 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13711 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:40 AM

Then you'll probably always be transcoding. Your phone service bandwidth will fluctuate. What you can try is having multiple versions of different sizes. Then the server will choose the one closest to your available bandwidth.

https://github.com/M...-version-movies

#31 heypaleblue OFFLINE  

heypaleblue

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:01 AM

UNfortunately I don't have the storage to keep multiple versions of the same movie or TV Episode, so it leads me to ask: What kind of graphics cards do you use? I was thinking about doing an AMD ryzen build with a 3rd gen quadcore and a gpu that supports AMF but I'm not sure which graphics cards are good for this.

#32 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13711 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:06 AM

Well, if you're looking to go down that road, take a look at this.

https://emby.media/c...n-is-the-go-to/

Otherwise, if you're only going to have one transcode at a time, just pick up a used GTX 1050 on ebay.

#33 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 152520 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 PM

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:17 PM

Just to clarify, the bitrate error is not an error but rather it's just the reason for transcoding.

#34 heypaleblue OFFLINE  

heypaleblue

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:50 AM

Just to clarify, the bitrate error is not an error but rather it's just the reason for transcoding.

yeah I realized this after troubleshooting the issue. thank you and @Doofus for all the help. it's sincerely appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emby server, lag, emby connect, premier, streaming, android, performance improvement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users