Questions from new Emby premier lifetime User

heypaleblue

heypaleblue

Alright so I read this thread and I think I understand the following as my issue:

The reason I am getting the bit-rate error is because the media is coming to my phone at a lower quality than the source file so my media server is having to transcode the media to a lesser quality before sending it to my phone and this is why I'm seeing the integrated graphics on my server peg out at 100% after starting just 2 streams. Supporting this assumption is the fact that when I change the settings on my devices to the maximum / original quality of the source file, the dashboard indicates I am no longer transcoding the file but am direct playing it and the utilization of my GPU drops proportionately.

if this is a reasonable assumption then I guess I need to do the following:

• Use Optimized settings to rip my media - Using the Roku Direct Playback Wiki Page it looks like as long as I'm ripping my media with H264 for the video and AAC for the audio, I should be good to go as far as Direct PLay being an potion.
  • Play my Media at their original quality - Since I'm ripping my media at higher qualities than I'm playing them back at my server is choking, playing them at a higher quality will alleviate the need to transcode my movies and get rid of the lag I'm experiencing.
  • Figure out a way to Force Direct Play - This would likely mean Emby would assume I want my media streamed to me at the original, higher quality and cause it not to utilize the GPU to transcode my media. The trade off here is I would me using more bandwidth on the lan and on my data plan if I am not mistaken.
  • Buy a GPU for my server that supports Hardware Acceleration - Luke shared the hardware acceleration overview so as long as I purchase a graphics card of sufficient umph then when my media DOES need to be transcoded for some reason, that will happen with the beefier GPU on the PCI bus and not the integrated graphics on my proc.

sound about right?

Guest asrequested

Now it's saying the bitrate is too high. Look in the app settings and see if there's limit set. Also, check the user profile settings in the server, to see if there's a limit set. How is the phone connecting to the network?

heypaleblue

Now it's saying the bitrate is too high. Look in the app settings and see if there's limit set. Also, check the user profile settings in the server, to see if there's a limit set. How is the phone connecting to the network?

on my phone all testing is done over cellular. I'm trying to ensure my server is performant even when I'm away from service.

heypaleblue

UNfortunately I don't have the storage to keep multiple versions of the same movie or TV Episode, so it leads me to ask: What kind of graphics cards do you use? I was thinking about doing an AMD ryzen build with a 3rd gen quadcore and a gpu that supports AMF but I'm not sure which graphics cards are good for this.

heypaleblue

Just to clarify, the bitrate error is not an error but rather it's just the reason for transcoding.

yeah I realized this after troubleshooting the issue. thank you and @ for all the help. it's sincerely appreciated.