VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

kjhedges

Great Plugin

I have only setup 2 channels currently, but its looking good.

My misses and I have 1 emby user between us as we watch most media together. But then there are times when she is not here and I watch stuff, and this then messes with the continue watching, which really annoys her lol.

I enjoy me classic UK comedy and entertainment. So, I created a channel for Classic UK Comedy and then created a new genre called classic comedy and added all the shows I wanted into that category. I done the same for Classic Entertainment.

Will create more channel in time, but once again, Great Plugin.  Many thanks

jaycedk

He he my misses is like yours.

I have created Mine / hers and ours accounts.

Now she is unaware of my media consumption  😂🤣

Edited by jaycedk
  • Like 1

pünktchen

@NinkoAfter a second look at your screenshots i noticed both of your audio tracks are stereo already. But somehow your Roku is requesting an up-conversion to 5.1?!
I don't know the Roku settings, but i can tell you my plugin is never doing an up-conversion. If you start playback, just look into your Emby transcoding folder and check the mediainfo of the "virtualtv_______.ts" file. That's what i'm feeding into Emby. But what happens after that is out of my control.

@pünktchenI don't know what to tell you then really. When playing the same files outside of virtual TV no transcoding happens and I don't change any Roku settings in-between.

pünktchen
1 hour ago, Ninko said:

Don't know if any of these give any insight...

That helps a lot and i have an idea that might help. Will get back to you via pm.

• Thanks 1

So I am just trying to make a genre specific channel, I've made channels with specific movies or shows and it works just fine, but when I try to just have a comedy channel when I put comedy in the Genres section when it builds the channel it just takes every show/movie from that folder instead of just the ones with comedy genre. I assume I am doing something wrong

Edited by vislade

kjhedges

This question is for both Plugin Dev and Emby Devs.

I use the http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8096/Sessions?api_key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to gather current playing status, and with some coding display the content onto an information board that i have on a monitor.

7B879837-10FA-4A5D-97DC-2A2DA4FA1D18.thumb.jpg.9353ac158e07876d7042966de4769dd8.jpg

Now, the item on the Roku is a Virtual TV channel, the other 2 are normal emby play media.

The VirtualTV item will display the item poster from the very first item that was in the channel list when playing starts and never updates to the new media item poster when the next tv episode or movie starts.

Even when i point web browser to http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8096/Sessions?api_key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx it shows the current playing item as the first media item that was first played in the channel list.

mike3821

How can I use tags?

I'm adding the tag name under the channel rules, but nothing ever populates after a refresh of the guide.

The tag is for a Movie Collection of christmas movies.

hstamas
1 hour ago, mike3821 said:

How can I use tags?

I'm adding the tag name under the channel rules, but nothing ever populates after a refresh of the guide.

The tag is for a Movie Collection of christmas movies.

Try looking here @mike3821. I struggled with the tag syntax for awhile but @pünktchenspelled it out for me.

pünktchen
11 minutes ago, kjhedges said:

If I watch a VirtualTV Live channel from 1 program to the next, should the http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8096/Sessions?api_key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx data update when one program finishes and the next program starts?

It depends on the playback mode. Yes for Playlist, no for Continuous.

kjhedges
1 minute ago, pünktchen said:

It depends on the playback mode. Yes for Playlist, no for Continuous.

Thank you for response, I use continuous, so that explains why my posters are not updating. 

I shall have to create a channel poster relevant to the channel and display that instead of primary image.

pünktchen
1 hour ago, kjhedges said:

Thank you for response, I use continuous, so that explains why my posters are not updating. 

I shall have to create a channel poster relevant to the channel and display that instead of primary image.

Yes, because as you've recognized, you are playing a tv channel not a program. 😉

• Like 1

Is there a way to get shows that ONLY contain the entered genre?

For example "Comedy", not "Comedy, Horror".

Thanks

Junglejim
1 hour ago, Ninko said:

Is there a way to get shows that ONLY contain the entered genre?

For example "Comedy", not "Comedy, Horror".

Thanks

This example is from my Sci-Fi channel but comedy would be similar, just exclude the genres you don't want with &&! (AND NOT)

Science Fiction&&!Horror&&!Animation&&!Comedy

ellisd4

I've noticed in the latest version on 4.8 beta that the "Always include these named movies or tv shows" functionality has changed a little.  Before when I put a show or two in there, the channel ONLY included those two shows (which was the desired effect), but now the channel includes ALL shows in my library except those with the tag of DNP (do not play) which I use to remove things like reunion or a look back over the season episodes.  Was this just how it was always intended to work and I was using a hack?  Or is this unintended and I need to find a new way to just have 2 or 3 series air on a channel? :) 

pünktchen
11 minutes ago, ellisd4 said:

except those with the tag of DNP

Where exactly in the plugin did you set that tag?

Junglejim
47 minutes ago, ellisd4 said:

In the Channel Settings "*Tags"

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 9.35.15 PM.png

I would have thought you would use "But exclude tv show seasons or episodes by these tags:" for that?

It's the setting beneath "Always include these named movies or tv shows:", could be wrong.. :) I'm just guessing what your trying to do.

ellisd4
25 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

I would have thought you would use "But exclude tv show seasons or episodes by these tags:" for that?

It's the setting beneath "Always include these named movies or tv shows:", could be wrong.. :) I'm just guessing what you’re trying to do.

I’ve always had it there and it’s worked correctly, but the issue now is that ALL shows (not just The Big Bang Theory in this example) are being included. Used to when I typed in a show name in the field, that’s all that showed up in the guide.  With the latest change ANY show can show up unless I specifically exclude it. I’ve found a work around by adding a tag to the show I want to include and including just that tag.  You may ask… why don’t you just use the shuffle feature for a single show… well virtual tv seems to do an excellent job of not replaying an episode until it gets through the series. 🤣

Junglejim
1 hour ago, ellisd4 said:

I’ve always had it there and it’s worked correctly, but the issue now is that ALL shows (not just The Big Bang Theory in this example) are being included. Used to when I typed in a show name in the field, that’s all that showed up in the guide.  With the latest change ANY show can show up unless I specifically exclude it. I’ve found a work around by adding a tag to the show I want to include and including just that tag.  You may ask… why don’t you just use the shuffle feature for a single show… well virtual tv seems to do an excellent job of not replaying an episode until it gets through the series. 🤣

I think where you have it now is the general tvshow/movie tags setting not the season/episode setting. That's how I interpret the settings.. again could be totally wrong. :)

Plus you have !DNP (NOT DNP) which is everything without that tag... Not sure if that's what your after but that would be all tvshows/movies etc. without the the DNP tag.

I would remove the "*Tags:" setting !DNP and add DNP to the "But exclude tv show seasons or episodes by these tags:" settings and see how you go.

I'm assuming the DNP are episodes you don't want in the channel?

Edited by Junglejim
  • Thanks 1

ellisd4
28 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

I think where you have it now is the general tvshow/movie tags setting not the season/episode setting. That's how I interpret the settings.. again could be totally wrong. :)

Plus you have !DNP (NOT DNP) which is everything without that tag... Not sure if that's what your after but that would be all tvshows/movies etc. without the the DNP tag.

Ah! I see what you’re saying. I removed that tag and gave it a try... It was working before the update, but maybe that was part of what needed to be “fixed” 🙂 All seems back to normal now. Thanks!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Junglejim said:

This example is from my Sci-Fi channel but comedy would be similar, just exclude the genres you don't want with &&! (AND NOT)

Science Fiction&&!Horror&&!Animation&&!Comedy

I was thinking something similar but thought I'd ask incase there was a simpler way.

Thanks!