VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

pünktchen
15 minutes ago, Smitty018210 said:

I unzipped it and put it into the plugin folder. Then restarted my server, but nothing happened.

Emby has two plugins folders! Make sure it's the correct one - for Windows it is under "programdata". For non Windows operating systems i don't know the path, but i know you have to give attention to the file permissions.

crusher11
11 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Do you mean "Watched state to include for movies/music videos", respectively "Watched state to include for tv shows/episodes"?

Yeah, that one.

pünktchen
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Yeah, that one.

Is it already broken in the new Preview feature or only later in the EPG?

crusher11
3 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Is it already broken in the new Preview feature or only later in the EPG?

Preview feature?

pünktchen
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Preview feature?

Yes. In the channel add/edit dialog. To what plugin version did you update yesterday?

crusher11
3 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Yes. In the channel add/edit dialog. To what plugin version did you update yesterday?

2.0.2.0, but the problem was present in the prior version too. I'm seeing unwatched movies in the TV guide for a channel that's only supposed to be watched movies.

pünktchen
Just now, crusher11 said:

2.0.2.0, but the problem was present in the prior version too.

That may be. But obviously you did not clear your browser cache after updating, otherwise you would see the Preview feature. So please clear the cache and tell me if the preview shows the correct result.

crusher11
1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

That may be. But obviously you did not clear your browser cache after updating, otherwise you would see the Preview feature. So please clear the cache and tell me if the preview shows the correct result.

I see the preview option now I know where to look, I just hadn't dug into the options previously.  The preview looks fine but the EPG is showing premieres.

pünktchen
6 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I see the preview option now I know where to look, I just hadn't dug into the options previously.  The preview looks fine but the EPG is showing premieres.

Great. Then you are probably using the "Program Cache" option. And that also answers your previous question about it. With that option enabled the program is cached to a file with the first guide refresh. Every consecutive guide refresh will not generate new program data, instead the cache file is used until no more data is available. To delete the cache file for all channels, use the "Force Guide Refresh" button in the plugin. To delete the cache file for a single channel, just disable the option for that channel and hit save. After that you can enable the option again and the next normal guide refresh will generate new data.

In a future version i will try to auto-delete the cache if any change was done to a channel config, but currently it is what it is.

crusher11

So if it's cached, it'll play through each item available to that channel once, before ever repeating anything?

Is that also related to why things from my VTV channels are showing up in Live TV>Programs>Movies when they didn't previously? I used to be able to go to that screen, sort by airdate descending, and most of it would just be genuine TV content. Now, VTV-channel movies are showing up even at the top of that list.

pünktchen

So if it's cached, it'll play through each item available to that channel once, before ever repeating anything?

Not exactly. I've limited the cache file to the number of days to download guide data.

Is that also related to why things from my VTV channels are showing up in Live TV>Programs>Movies when they didn't previously? I used to be able to go to that screen, sort by airdate descending, and most of it would just be genuine TV content. Now, VTV-channel movies are showing up even at the top of that list.

No, i don't think there's any relation.

crusher11
14 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Not exactly. I've limited the cache file to the number of days to download guide data.

Is that in the server's Live TV settings, or is there a plugin-specific version of that?

pünktchen
5 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Is that in the server's Live TV settings, or is there a plugin-specific version of that?

Server Live TV settings.

• Like 1

Dibbes
On 1/14/2024 at 8:19 PM, pünktchen said:

Although i agree with @Dibbes,my wife also always asks for this. It's just a matter of time.

I was talking to my wife about this last night and she thinks it's a great idea and got very enthusiastic about that, especially since the smart playlist feature hasn't been available for months! I'm sorry to ask you, but now she wants to know if you have any ideas on timelines

pünktchen
5 hours ago, Dibbes said:

I was talking to my wife about this last night and she thinks it's a great idea and got very enthusiastic about that, especially since the smart playlist feature hasn't been available for months! I'm sorry to ask you, but now she wants to know if you have any ideas on timelines

I cannot give you a timeline, i can only say i have it already working for Playlist playback. But there's one thing that gives me headaches. Who's watched state should be used, from the account that is playing the channel or from the user of the channel config? Let's say we have 5 different Emby user.

Case #1: Watched state of the "playback user" is tracked
If one of the five users never watches a specific series, the series will be shown in the guide for eternity. Not ideal, but acceptable.
Big problem is, with Continuous playback i do not know who is playing the channel until the playback has started in the client. But then it's already to late! I'm evaluating some workarounds for this.

Case #2: Watched state of the "channel user" is tracked
If one of the five users watches a specific series everytime it is shown in the epg, the other users that watch the channel only at random times will miss many episodes.
Defeats the idea of playing unwatched episodes in order, but is "easy" to implement for all playback modes.

Possible solution: Now that we have unlimited channels, i could provide a button to duplicate channels and an input field to define Tags for a channel. This way an admin could allow or block certain channels for different users and the "channel user" watched state could be used for the special playback feature. Of course, more channels will extend the guide refresh time.

What do you think? @Dibbes@HeroHabit

Edited by pünktchen
  • Like 2

HeroHabit
7 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

Possible solution: Now that we have unlimited channels, i could provide a button to duplicate channels and an input field to define Tags for a channel. This way an admin could allow or block certain channels for different users and the "channel user" watched state could be used for the special playback feature. Of course, more channels will extend the guide refresh time.

What do you think? @Dibbes@HeroHabit

This would be amazing! It would also offer some flexibility if, say, one of my users absolutely hates The Office, I can just not show them channels that have that show. You'd be my hero if this became a part of your already great plugin.

Dibbes

Not sure of what I'm saying now is even possible or makes any sense at all, but how about combining these two options?

If you use the logged in user, the user that actually starts playback of that channel, the moment time-shift is activated, a channel (or playlist) is created that only that user can see in the EPG (or shown in another library, like playlists/DVR/Recordings or even continue watching and is not shown to other users to avoid cluttering up the EPG for every user. The reason I think this should be doable is that every user already has their own playstates and playlists can be made private...

Maybe a future addition would be then to export that playlist/channel or make it available to other users...

I do like the idea of taggable channels, but that seems even more complicated, at least for the admin

Edited by Dibbes

pünktchen
53 minutes ago, Dibbes said:

If you use the logged in user, the user that actually starts playback of that channel, the moment time-shift is activated, a channel (or playlist) is created that only that user can see in the EPG.

How would you start playback of the channel if it is not visible to the user beforehand? But the visibility can be achived with tags restrictions. I'm not sure if Emby somehow allows to block items by their internal id. That would simplify things a little bit.

Edited by pünktchen

Dibbes

Why would it not be visible to this user when it was specifically created for this user alone?

Either way, if that's the case, can the item not be auto tagged upon creation?

pünktchen
55 minutes ago, Dibbes said:

I do like the idea of taggable channels, but that seems even more complicated, at least for the admin

I think i can automate this by providing a list of users to select from to enable a channel. The plugin could create a tag for a channel and set it to the list of allowed tags for users that have that option, otherwise it would set it to the list of blocked tags for all not selected plugin users.

Dibbes
On 1/26/2024 at 3:00 AM, pünktchen said:

I think i can automate this by providing a list of users to select from to enable a channel. The plugin could create a tag for a channel and set it to the list of allowed tags for users that have that option, otherwise it would set it to the list of blocked tags for all not selected plugin users.

Yes, that's pretty much what I meant in this post 🙂

On 1/26/2024 at 2:56 AM, Dibbes said:

Either way, if that's the case, can the item not be auto tagged upon creation?

TZTZoro

i personally vote that if a user is watching something is marked as watched on the server side user/playback user

and with movies if the movie is not watched it gets a negative score and is just a bit less likely to get back in the rotation

i like the idea of a per user generated tv channel kind of idea but what would the impact be on the guide refresh issue in 4.8? and what about the people who prefer that people can watch in sync and use it maybe to watch stuff in sync(not me i am all for personal channels)

also may i ask which features do work and which do not work in 4.8 currently? because i very much dislike of testing it because my refreshes can hang for a long time... musicvideos/mixedcontent

adrianlive

Hey there,

I need some help here. First here is what I have:

Emby 4.8.0.75 is running on a NAS Synology DS718+ (OS 7.2) (with HW acceleration), the VAAPI driver is enabled and I can see hardware acceleration working with Emby. I have an HD HomeRunFlex4K configured for OTA local channels and I'm using the VirtualTV plugin with the latest version.

My media and live tv from the HDHomeRun Live TV play smoothly both locally and remotely, the problem I'm having is with the VirtualTV channels when using the Playlist Live (or Archive Live) mode option, which it smoothly on my AppleTVs, iOS and Web portal, but not on my Roku, either when using it locally or remotely. If I switch to Continuous Live Playlist it works on the Roku.

Any idea why this is happening? the local test of using direct stream is attached, but this is the same behavior I see when I use a Roku from a remote location.

Thanks.

ffmpeg-directstream-7e0087c9-12ea-4324-853a-77b139bd6d96_1.txt

Zander3768

Others have had that issue in this thread too. You might be able to find them somewhere i the 100+ pages.

I also use Roku TV's and have had this similar issue but I was able to get it to (sometimes) play properly using Playback Method: Playlist (Live).

It sometimes just exits the Emby app all together returning to the Roku home screen, but other times it closes it then immediately re-opens the Emby app & plays it like it should.

It is odd behavior but from what I experienced, it seems to be just Roku. I think its just limitations with coding on Roku (I hear its very different than most other things 🤷‍♂️ )

Sorry I can't be of more help.

pünktchen

@adrianlive @Zander3768

Both Playlist playback modes do only work in a LAN environment for Rokus. It's a limitation of the Roku devices, not the Emby app or plugin!

• Thanks 1