VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

pünktchen
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

This isn't the first time it's happened, but it hasn't happened very often.

Was the "Extra" also listed in the guide?

pünktchen
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

No, it listed the movie.

But there's no Emby setting to play extras with the movie, is there?
Do extras and movies share the same ItemId? You can check that youself in the adressbar of a browser. 

crusher11
39 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

But there's no Emby setting to play extras with the movie, is there?
Do extras and movies share the same ItemId? You can check that youself in the adressbar of a browser. 

Another movie with extras came on and it briefly started a "making of" before playing a theme.mp3, which may or may not be from the same movie but it's queued up a whole playlist of random things.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 19.40.09.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 19.40.17.png

embyserver (1).txt

pünktchen

Do you have any experience with Emby's Rest API?

crusher11
5 hours ago, pünktchen said:

Do you have any experience with Emby's Rest API?

Nope. Know nothing about APIs at all.

gihayes
On 3/20/2024 at 8:37 AM, pünktchen said:

@gihayes@crusher11For your reference, i've reported it as an Emby bug: 

Thanks

jiggity

I really want to like this plug in but every time I use it I find enough that irks me to want to stop using it.
Before the 4.8.* upgrade it was slow, way too slow to rebuild the guide, so i switched to ersatzTV and ran an external docker program just to build the guides and pipe that back to emby

Luke convinced me to give the rebuild of virtualTV another try
These are the issues that make me want to abandon it again:
Playlists can only follow playlist order if they are set as mixed content in the channel setup; regardless of list type.

Movie channels will trigger trailers from the cinematic plug in, and if you skip them, it does not go to the movie, but into the extras/featurettes folder of where the trailer was.  If you keep skipping it will eventually come to the movie that was 'scheduled' but it will not play it as it was supposed to play it. TV shows will jump to the point the timing shows it is at, movies won't.  Kinda defeats the purpose.  I even tried disabling the cinematic plug in and that did not have any effect.

Collections made with Seasons from TV shows will not show any items if a channel is made with that collection.

Channels with resolution changes can often fail to load the next file when downgrading the resolution. Going from 4k to 1080 can result in the next file in the 'playlist' not loading through the channel, where a playlist works fine. This can result in some weird transcoding behaviour when you try and load a different channel.

Even with tags music videos will not load

I wish you luck with development

pünktchen
1 hour ago, jiggity said:

Before the 4.8.* upgrade it was slow, way too slow to rebuild the guide, so i switched to ersatzTV and ran an external docker program just to build the guides and pipe that back to emby

One user of my plugin probably has the biggest library of all of the users here in the forum. As long as he doesn't complain, all is fine. It must be something on your side then.

Playlists can only follow playlist order if they are set as mixed content in the channel setup; regardless of list type.

Did you report this? No.

Collections made with Seasons from TV shows will not show any items if a channel is made with that collection.

Again. Did you report this? No.

Even with tags music videos will not load.

Did you ask for help?

Movie channels will trigger trailers from the cinematic plug in, and if you skip them, it does not go to the movie, but into the extras/featurettes folder of where the trailer was.  If you keep skipping it will eventually come to the movie that was 'scheduled' but it will not play it as it was supposed to play it. TV shows will jump to the point the timing shows it is at, movies won't.  Kinda defeats the purpose.  I even tried disabling the cinematic plug in and that did not have any effect.

Sounds like the Emby bug that is discussed above your post.

Channels with resolution changes can often fail to load the next file when downgrading the resolution. Going from 4k to 1080 can result in the next file in the 'playlist' not loading through the channel, where a playlist works fine. This can result in some weird transcoding behaviour when you try and load a different channel.

Blame the Emby app or device that you are using for this issue. The plugin only provides a pointer to the content that has to be played. It does not stream or play it.

I wish you luck with development

Thank you.

• Haha 1

gihayes

Hi pünktchen, I really like your plugin, and think it's great. It's easy to set up and use. Everything is working fine for me except bumpers. I have the bumper field pointing to M:\VTV1\Commercials,  which is inside a Home Videos & Photos library named VTV1. The bumpers do not appear in the preview, or in the listing after I have saved and refreshed the guide. I have tried another library as a test and still no bumpers appear in the preview or guide. Everything else works perfectly! If I go to the Library VTV1, I am able to see the commercials I have there and they play fine. I looked through the log, but didn't know what I was looking for. My settings are as follows:

Channel is Enabled
No Export
Caching Data (I've tried with Cache off also)
No Premier or Repeat
I have a Logo (Just Added)
No Primetime
Playback Method: Playlist (Live)
90 and 80 for watched percent times
Bumpers are in M:\VTV1\Commercials inside the Library VTV1 which is a Home Videos & Photos library  who's Root is M:\VTV1
Min/Max Videos 1/2
Min/Max Bumpers 1/2
Emby User VTV has access to all Libraries
Channel Content Source: Playlist
Channel Content: Movies
Watched and Unwatched
Playlist is VTVQuantumPhysics

All my channels play fine, just no bumpers. Can you help?

Debug was on for Emby and for the Channel

Thanks

embyserver.txt

Edited by gihayes

gihayes
56 minutes ago, gihayes said:

Hi pünktchen, I really like your plugin, and think it's great. It's easy to set up and use. Everything is working fine for me except bumpers. I have the bumper field pointing to M:\VTV1\Commercials,  which is inside a Home Videos & Photos library named VTV1. The bumpers do not appear in the preview, or in the listing after I have saved and refreshed the guide. I have tried another library as a test and still no bumpers appear in the preview or guide. Everything else works perfectly! If I go to the Library VTV1, I am able to see the commercials I have there and they play fine. I looked through the log, but didn't know what I was looking for. My settings are as follows:

Channel is Enabled
No Export
Caching Data (I've tried with Cache off also)
No Premier or Repeat
I have a Logo (Just Added)
No Primetime
Playback Method: Playlist (Live)
90 and 80 for watched percent times
Bumpers are in M:\VTV1\Commercials inside the Library VTV1 which is a Home Videos & Photos library  who's Root is M:\VTV1
Min/Max Videos 1/2
Min/Max Bumpers 1/2
Emby User VTV has access to all Libraries
Channel Content Source: Playlist
Channel Content: Movies
Watched and Unwatched
Playlist is VTVQuantumPhysics

All my channels play fine, just no bumpers. Can you help?

Debug was on for Emby and for the Channel

Thanks

embyserver.txt 1.39 MB · 0 downloads

I decided to watch one of the channels I had created, and Lo and Behold, the commercials were playing. They don't appear in the Preview, or on the Timeline in the Guide, but when the channel is played, they are there. I'm happy. 

Thanks again for this plugin ünktchen!

pünktchen

New version 2.0.3.0 in the plugin catalogue:

Channels:

• Fixed missing Playlist sort order for Content Type Movies, TVShows and MusicVideos
  • Added support for Seasons with Content Source Collections

Export API:

• Improved xmltv compatibility

The plugin should not auto update, so a manual download from the catalog is required.
As usual, you should clear your browser cache before opening the plugin config page.

pünktchen

@TesterThank you for your patience! I'm sorry it took so long.

• Thanks 1

Tester
1 hour ago, pünktchen said:

@TesterThank you for your patience! I'm sorry it took so long.

absolutely no need to apologize, I appreciate your efforts !!
Anyway, I wrote a python script to update the xml each time it was generated while I waited for the new version.

• 3 weeks later...
hstamas

Revisiting VirtualTV after some time away.

Using the latest Dev build on a M1 Mac. Even though I have all the appropriate items checked in the playback progress section my Continues Watching is littered with half watched shows if I do any sort of channel surfing during a viewing session.

Anything I can provide to help pinpoint the issue just let me know.

Also note that for some reason, when ever this happens (after I clean up all the Continue Watching shows) I will usually get 3 movies (always the same ones) in that list even though I dont use VirtualTV for movies. These movies are fully watched and have been for years but somehow are getting marked partially watched at this time so the above may be part of a larger watch state issue?

Edited by hstamas

pünktchen
On 4/19/2024 at 1:56 PM, hstamas said:

Using the latest Dev build on a M1 Mac. Even though I have all the appropriate items checked in the playback progress section my Continues Watching is littered with half watched shows if I do any sort of channel surfing during a viewing session.

Anything I can provide to help pinpoint the issue just let me know.

Are there any errors related to VirtualTV in Emby's log file. Does the problem also happen with the web app? Which playback mode have you chosen in the plugin?

On 4/19/2024 at 1:56 PM, hstamas said:

Also note that for some reason, when ever this happens (after I clean up all the Continue Watching shows) I will usually get 3 movies (always the same ones) in that list even though I dont use VirtualTV for movies. These movies are fully watched and have been for years but somehow are getting marked partially watched at this time so the above may be part of a larger watch state issue?

I don't think the plugin is doing this. When you look around the forum, you will always find different problems regarding Continou Watching.

hstamas
On 4/20/2024 at 7:58 PM, pünktchen said:

Are there any errors related to VirtualTV in Emby's log file. Does the problem also happen with the web app? Which playback mode have you chosen in the plugin?

I don't think the plugin is doing this. When you look around the forum, you will always find different problems regarding Continou Watching.

No errors that I can see in a weeks worth of logs. Web app doesnt seem to reproduce the issue but if I just let Emby sit for a few days watching nothing, all the partially watched shows that I cleared out of my Continue Watching come back. I am using Playlist (Live) mode.

pünktchen
On 4/21/2024 at 4:28 PM, Jekill said:

Does anyone have any idea why when I start a VirtualTV channel, it plays on all open tabs?

That's because there's no distinction between multiple browser tabs - it counts as one device within one Emby session.

pünktchen
1 hour ago, hstamas said:

No errors that I can see in a weeks worth of logs. Web app doesnt seem to reproduce the issue

Mmh, that's bad. Of course as a first step, you could enable debug logging in Emby and the plugin. Rotate the log file, just watch one single episode and send me the log file via pm.

1 hour ago, hstamas said:

if I just let Emby sit for a few days watching nothing, all the partially watched shows that I cleared out of my Continue Watching come back.

It comes back even if you don't watch something with VirtualTV?

12 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

That's because there's no distinction between multiple browser tabs - it counts as one device within one Emby session.

And there's no way for this behavior not to happen?

pünktchen
13 minutes ago, Jekill said:

And there's no way for this behavior not to happen?

Not yet. At least not with one of the "Playlist" playback modes. The same thing will happen if you use the "Play to" feature in Emby on your smartphone to play something in a browser.

Edited by pünktchen