TVDB Api Issues

TwIXx
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

1 hour ago, adminExitium said:

Looks like it will also become subscription based soon: https://www.thetvdb.com/subscribe 

It looks like they've become a subscription service already the way the TVdb website presents things. The subscribe link now shows up at the top of the page, taking me to the url you provided where I can agree to pay them money.

What a crappy way of going about making this change. No announcement of the change on the homepage with the exception of the subscription link at the top. And the real scumbag move, they disable their forums before implementing this change making it difficult for users to ask questions or get clarification on how this is being rolled out or when a subscription becomes mandatory. Having said this, I don't visit the actual website frequently...I just let Emby do it's things to retrieve TVdb metadata and images. So maybe they were more forthright with the announcement and I just missed it. I sure hope so.

Edited to add: I don't have an issue with them wanting to be paid for the hard work they put in to maintaining the website. I'll probably hold off a bit before paying for a subscription on account of the issues they've caused me with their failed API changes in the past. But I recognize the value in what they are providing, and will likely subscribe when it becomes necessary.

Edited by DarWun
  • Like 2

pwhodges

Will this mean that soon we'll have to subscribe for our copies of Emby to access them through the api?  It sure reads like that:

When you subscribe, you'll be given a PIN that you can use in your home media software or app.

Your API was always free in the past!
We know, and we discussed a lot of considerations before deciding to make it a subscription service.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

adminExitium
8 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Will this mean that soon we'll have to subscribe for our copies of Emby to access them through the api?

I don't think so. According to comments on Reddit, it should be possible for Emby to get a licensed subscription and depending on the price, make it free for Premier users only or for everyone.

Source: 

Edited by adminExitium
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

I assume I will get the same response on the question I asked on their forum.  But I see this being a issue across the board for all metadata managers.

Happy2Play

Can we get a comment on How this Subscription change if/will change in Emby?

2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Can we get a comment on How this Subscription change if/will change in Emby?

We're looking into it and what the impact will be for Emby. Thanks.

Junglejim

Hopefully it wont have to much impact.. TMDB is a good alternative for TV metadata.

Personally I think TVDb has made a bad decision here, especially being a community based website totally full of copyrighted material!!

But time will tell.. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Personally I think TVDb has made a bad decision here, especially being a community based website totally full of copyrighted material!!

That was my thought as well.

miniliQuid

Noticed this recently as Trakt starting giving trouble which came from TVDB. Never liked TVDB but at least they had some things going for them like free metadata. Now I am just wondering if there is any good reason to pick TVDB over other providers. I mean it's never been the greatest option out there (all the arguing about data, and then their attitude towards everyone) if you ask me. Now with the subscriptions, I guess there are many better options out there?

Not that I think the ticket system isn't a smart move. Keeps the arguing from being public, and makes it a lot more streamlined and less time consuming for them I guess.

PenkethBoy

i'm leaning towards TMDB myself - for all metadata

not done any meaningful comparisons on how many series they have vs TVDB - if asked to guess i would say that the % difference is getting less by the day espeically with newer content

Old shows from the 70/80s etc might be quite different etc

I think the sub service will be the end for TVDB - will put people off and things will not get updated as much - but i may be proved wrong

• Like 2

miniliQuid

So they make it a subscription, but they keep it depending on community input for the data?
That seems kind of awkward... 🤔

pwhodges

TMDB is very sketchy with anime, especially anything before 2000; TVDB has far better coverage in this area.

Paul

5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Now we wait for v4 api and how every media manager ever made using TVDB will break.

Ain't that the truth!

PenkethBoy

I suspect the beginning of the end for TVDB as the go to db for TV - especially if v4 is a mees like v3,v2 ....etc

• Like 2

TheGremlin

I switched allready to tmdb and use tvdb only as a backup.

No Regrets for now. I just miss one feature -> DVD Ordering, but I can live with it for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zodler said:

Since update to 4.5.0.50, it is not picking up TV information anymore.

We're happy to help. Please see how to report a problem:

Thanks.

2020-09-22 19:00:05.896 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.5.0.50
    Command line: Z:\***********\emby.windows\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19041
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.8
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: Z:/***************/emby.windows/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 8
    Data path: Z:\*****************\emby.windows
    Application path: Z:\***************\emby.windows\system
    System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Path cannot be null. (Parameter 'path')
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream(String path, FileOpenMode mode, FileAccessMode access, FileShareMode share, FileOpenOptions fileOpenOptions)
       at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveImage(BaseItem item, String source, ReadOnlyMemory`1 mimeType, ImageType type, Nullable`1 imageIndex, Nullable`1 saveLocallyWithMedia, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.GetLazyImage(String key, BaseItem item, ImageType type, Int32 imageIndex, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ConvertImageToLocal(BaseItem item, ItemImageInfo image, Int32 imageIndex, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.ProcessImage(ImageProcessingOptions options, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.GetImage(ImageRequest request, Int64 itemId, BaseItem item, Boolean isHeadRequest)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void .ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions)

Nobody has any problems with the new update?

Edited by Zodler

8 hours ago, Zodler said:

2020-09-22 19:00:05.896 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.5.0.50
    Command line: Z:\***********\emby.windows\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19041
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.8
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: Z:/***************/emby.windows/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 8
    Data path: Z:\*****************\emby.windows
    Application path: Z:\***************\emby.windows\system
    System.ArgumentNullException: System.ArgumentNullException: Path cannot be null. (Parameter 'path')
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileStream(String path, FileOpenMode mode, FileAccessMode access, FileShareMode share, FileOpenOptions fileOpenOptions)
       at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.ProviderManager.SaveImage(BaseItem item, String source, ReadOnlyMemory`1 mimeType, ImageType type, Nullable`1 imageIndex, Nullable`1 saveLocallyWithMedia, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.GetLazyImage(String key, BaseItem item, ImageType type, Int32 imageIndex, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ConvertImageToLocal(BaseItem item, ItemImageInfo image, Int32 imageIndex, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Drawing.ImageProcessor.ProcessImage(ImageProcessingOptions options, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.GetImage(ImageRequest request, Int64 itemId, BaseItem item, Boolean isHeadRequest)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void .ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions)

Nobody has any problems with the new update?

Please attach the complete emby server log. thanks.