TVDB Api Issues

TwIXx
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Yeah, that's what rubs people but people are not looking at that correctly.  The product isn't the data.  It is the access to the data.

For instance.  The original Google search engine didn't provide a single bit of data themselves.  It just provided you easy access to data.  Same thing.  It still costs money to produce, maintain and support such things.

Devil's advocate here is that early Google wrote their own indexer to harvest the data they needed to deliver a more useful service than the hand curated web directories that were more popular initially.

Their index was essential to their competitive advantage and it wasn't crowd sourced.

Of course, when Google decided it wanted/needed to make money, they just bought an invasive ad tracking platform and set out to destroy the open web, so it's all relative. 😆

Edited by roaku
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, roaku said:

Google wrote their own indexer to harvest the data they needed to deliver a more useful service than the more popular hand curated web directories

But that is also analogous to the TVDB writing their own web platform and API for both the intake and searching/delivery of the information they deal with - as opposed to people just going to someplace like Imdb and trying to copy the data from there...

Bottom line - the product isn't the data.  It is getting the data in a meaningful way.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

But that is also analogous to the TVDB writing their own web platform and API for both the intake and searching/delivery of the information they deal with - as opposed to people just going to someplace like Imdb and trying to copy the data from there...

Bottom line - the product isn't the data.  It is getting the data in a meaningful way.

But the 'intake' part is very different was my main point.

Google harvested the data they needed themselves.

TVDB used Wikipedia's approach to data collection, but never mentioned they didn't share WP's commitment to openness.

I get the backlash, but I also understand that a sustainable TVDB is better than no TVDB.

12 minutes ago, roaku said:

I get the backlash, but I also understand that a sustainable TVDB is better than no TVDB.

And that's the BOTTOM LINE!

If Emby provides a login for the new API then each person get's to make up their own mind and subscribe or not.

• Like 1

miniliQuid
On 1/19/2021 at 12:23 AM, Mibok said:

It seems that trakt will switch to TMDB.

https://blog.trakt.tv/tmdb-transition-ef3d19a5cf24

I personally prefer TMDB, is the only one that supports multiple versions for each language. And is not a small detail as almost every movie and various series have different names in Spain and Mexico (latin america). And when asked for this feature in thetvdb through their ticket system the answer with a "declined, there is no need for multiple versions of spanish".

Hehe, it's on top for me as well. So far had no issues, but we will see how it goes :)

• 2 weeks later...
BiTeTHeBiGG
On 1/19/2021 at 12:23 AM, Mibok said:

And is not a small detail as almost every movie and various series have different names in Spain and Mexico (latin america). And when asked for this feature in thetvdb through their ticket system the answer with a "declined, there is no need for multiple versions of spanish".

As far as I know you can set the translation titel and on top of this more aliases as you need. So if the scraper searches also for aliases all will be good 😀

Do you are registered on TVDB and looked at those options?

rbjtech
On 17/03/2021 at 14:43, pünktchen said:

Some more months before the old api's are shutdown: 

Should be enough time for the competition to copy the data and setup their own 'free' sites .. haha

I'm seeing new providers beginning to spring up already ...

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick
On 2/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, Happy2Play said:

Just the supposed cutoff is maybe a month away.  But TVDB has not said anything about this except a cutoff in March when they stated v4.  Unless some one has seen something different.

So everyone is pretty much in the dark until the last minute when they flip the switch.

Isn't "Last minute" TVDB's middle name ? 🤣

CharleyVarrick
On 2/26/2021 at 6:02 PM, Bigmack3000 said:

But until then it's not worth rescrapping hundreds of shows and checking each episode for mistakes/order changes/etc.

I am terrified at the prospect of switching #1 tv data provider, having 2.3K shows. I would need insurance that existing stuff is not tampered with. 

• Like 1

miniliQuid
On 3/19/2021 at 3:16 PM, rbjtech said:

Should be enough time for the competition to copy the data and setup their own 'free' sites .. haha

I'm seeing new providers beginning to spring up already ...

lol why doesn't that surprise me 🤣 thing is that they would need a good format/platform and a good community, though 1 may lead to the other.

TVDB wouldn't be their without their community members, and won't stay where they are without their community.
But I doubt the majority will switch away unless their is a really decent competitor.

CharleyVarrick

If I am not mistaken tvdb api is (or was) dead in the water this morning

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

If I am not mistaken tvdb api is (or was) dead in the water this morning

Why would you say that?

CharleyVarrick

My rename utility (used for last 5 yrs) is not getting any response (results) from them on current (in progress) show , but does get tmdb and tvmaze results.

I am assuming it and emby uses same/similar v3.

Tried with The Falcon and the Winter Soldier s01e02 and The Irregulars (2021)

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Tried with The Falcon and the Winter Soldier s01e02

Just like my upcoming shows TBA for this episode as it has been updated in the last 24 hours so that update has not made it to cached data yet.  But I am not currently seeing any issues or any errors being logged with issues from TVDB.

Still old data

Spoiler

<Episode>
        <id>8238358</id>
        <Combined_episodenumber>2</Combined_episodenumber>
        <Combined_season>1</Combined_season>
        <DVD_chapter>0</DVD_chapter>
        <DVD_discid/>
        <DVD_episodenumber>0</DVD_episodenumber>
        <DVD_season>0</DVD_season>
        <Director>|Kari Skogland|</Director>
        <EpImgFlag/>
        <EpisodeName>TBA</EpisodeName>
        <EpisodeNumber>2</EpisodeNumber>
        <FirstAired>2021-03-26</FirstAired>
        <GuestStars/>
        <IMDB_ID>tt9212988</IMDB_ID>
        <Language>en</Language>
        <Overview/>
        <ProductionCode/>
        <Rating>0</Rating>
        <RatingCount>0</RatingCount>
        <SeasonNumber>1</SeasonNumber>
        <Writer/>
        <absolute_number>0</absolute_number>
        <airsafter_season>0</airsafter_season>
        <airsbefore_episode>0</airsbefore_episode>
        <airsbefore_season>0</airsbefore_season>
        <filename/>
        <lastupdated>1616193881</lastupdated>
        <seasonid>1868999</seasonid>
        <seriesid>362496</seriesid>
        <thumb_added/>
        <thumb_height/>
        <thumb_width/>
    </Episode>

Edited by Happy2Play

CharleyVarrick

I have given up trying to understand how they work, and these day, it looks like they've given up too.

I have seen comment about other Emby users already switching tv library#1 MD provider and I am this close to follow in their footsteps. 

Everyday is groundhog day and it is affecting my moral.

As I have already set my tv libraries to NOT autorefresh 30/60/90 days, can I expect my previous content to stay as is, if TMDB becomes my #1 MD provider?

Please tell me something good

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

Thank you, Happy,

I've just put them last in all md/image providers categories, as a last step before disabling them.

Tomorrow will be a brand new day.

Bazzu85
15 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Looks like TVDB wants $50K+ per year for software dev pin.  So I can assume they would want that much, but probably more from Emby (larger user base).

Media Center Master community forums • View topic - TVDB coming changes

So, what's your suggestions @Happy2Play?

Do you plan to update something before the api deadline?

CharleyVarrick
19 hours ago, Bazzu85 said:

I believe, judging by Happy's  quote of the other forum, is that Emby will never pay for a corporate TVDB license (pay tvdb on behalf of users); if Media Center Master (aka lil guy) is asked 50k, how much would tvdb ask to Emby? 

This will never happen.

So it will be up to Emby individual users to decide if they're going to pay (or not) a monthly tvdb api fee. They will likely add some field in Emby's dashboard where you enter your paid tvdb api license.

I wouldn't have mind paying a monthly fee if they offered decent service in return, but from my own poor experience with them, this will not happen.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, Bazzu85 said:

Yes Emby plans to update the TVDB plugin to allow users to utilize their v4 pin.  But I don't believe there is any real planned date for this as TVDB pushed their legacy api version shutdowns back till Oct 2021.

Ideally the sooner a plugin is made available and users subscribe to v4, the sooner users can actually provide feedback.  Without actually using v4 api it is impossible to know if anything is better.

So if there are TVDB subscription users, then I would make a v4 TVDB plugin feature request.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
Happy2Play

Is there going to be any lead time on the new plugin as 1 October is approaching fast?  Or more info on the direction this is going to take?

11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Is there going to be any lead time on the new plugin as 1 October is approaching fast?  Or more info on the direction this is going to take?

We'll probably look at it next month, unless tvdb changes the roadmap again.

Happy2Play

Received this in a email.

Hi TheTVDB Community Member,

As you likely know, in November of 2020 we released the latest version of our API, affectionately known as v4. Since then, TheTVDB team has been hard at work cranking out new features like expanded search, as well as developing additional endpoints and support tools for our developer community.

Given these recent improvements, we wanted to encourage all of our developers to upgrade to v4 if they haven’t already. And to help with that, we have pushed the deadline for sunsetting our legacy APIs to October 1, 2021. You will have until then to ensure your project is fully operating on the v4 API.

Along with their points portal.

Points Leaderboard - TheTVDB.com