TVDB Api Issues

TwIXx
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Happy2Play

FYI 

TheTVDB.com @thetvdb · 1h
Update here — we're still working to isolate the issue. We do not have an ETA for a fix yet but will keep you updated here when we do have more info.

TheTVDB.com @thetvdb · 6h
For the past few hours we've been experiencing issues with both the website and API.  We're looking into the problem and will update this message once the issue is resolved.  We apologize for any inconvenience.

https://twitter.com/thetvdb

https://www.facebook.com/TheTVDB

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play
  • I understand that my previous API key, if I had one, can continue to be used until early 2021, but only with the legacy APIs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
yaksplat

Well, I'm done contributing to TVDB.  Their mods were absolutely terrible to deal with anyways.  Agree with them, or they delete what you contributed.  I just signed up with TVMaze.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Would appear old api will be turned off March 2021.  Reported in the other guys forum

• Like 1

BiTeTHeBiGG
7 hours ago, skidmarks said:

Suggested TVMaze a spell ago.  Thats still my suggestion.

Is TVMaze still english only? If so then it is a no alternative for me as my main languages are italian and german. I think there are more people with languages other than english.

6 hours ago, BiTeTHeBiGG said:

Is TVMaze still english only? If so then it is a no alternative for me as my main languages are italian and german. I think there are more people with languages other than english.

Yes that's correct.

skidmarks
7 hours ago, BiTeTHeBiGG said:

Yes, i agree that is an issue.  Sure something with be figured out before March.  Ciao!

Edited by skidmarks

Just got the email confirming a new subs model and came across a link to this discussion about it.

Any news from the Emby team yet on what id going to happen?  I read they are still talking to Plex but not decision has been made yet. 

Is emby talking to TVDB about the charges?

Is the team going to change the default provider?

I know it's still fairly early days before the 'big switch off' but would be good to get a little insight. 

This really isn't an Emby issue but the provider trying to cash in on user provided data which I think everyone understands.

There is a lot of time before this will change  and the team is aware of the situation at looking at ways to resolve this as well as other alternatives.
Can't really comment more on this at this time.

The worst case situation would be that each user would need to subscribe to the meta-data provider, if they want to continue using them, not unlike a VIP subscription to Open Subtitles.

34 minutes ago, cayars said:

This really isn't an Emby issue but the provider trying to cash in on user provided data which I think everyone understands.

There is a lot of time before this will change  and the team is aware of the situation at looking at ways to resolve this as well as other alternatives.
Can't really comment more on this at this time.

The worst case situation would be that each user would need to subscribe to the meta-data provider, if they want to continue using them, not unlike a VIP subscription to Open Subtitles.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully TVDB will realise what a silly mistake it is! Pretty crap to 'sell' user generated data. I get there are costs involved, but many users have taken time to sort images, shows etc... and get literally nothing back in return other than satisfaction for helping for the 'greater good' and then to be told well you can't use it anymore unless you pay us! Think the TVDB might die, can't imagine people submitting things to it if they can't use it themselves for free!

• Like 1

I did see something on their website about users having the ability to earn a subscription via metadata contributions.

6 hours ago, GiGo said:

Think the TVDB might die, can't imagine people submitting things to it if they can't use it themselves for free!

I worry about that myself.

8 minutes ago, Luke said:

I did see something on their website about users having the ability to earn a subscription via metadata contributions.

I read something about that also.  Problem is how much work do you want to do to earn a "free" $11/year subscription?

Personal opinion only here, but I think this is a mistake.  If they wanted to go paid, they should have adopted a model similar to Open Subtitles where it's still free but with limits and with a contribution gets you more requests each day.

• Like 4

miniliQuid
On 11/11/2020 at 7:40 AM, adminExitium said:

Interesting comments here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comments/jrvly5/thetvdb_new_api_and_licensing_model/

Supposedly, Jellyfin was asked to pay a few thousand $ per month which seems ridiculous. 2 interesting options have shown up for discussion:

That is nuts. From what I read tvdb costs are 30K a month, and rather than dropping costs, they now try to get that money by having programs pay a few thousand a month lol.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:19 AM, yaksplat said:

Well, I'm done contributing to TVDB.  Their mods were absolutely terrible to deal with anyways.  Agree with them, or they delete what you contributed.  I just signed up with TVMaze.

This is what I was afraid of when they announced it. So many people already disliked them cause they act like a bunch of ********* and now they wanna get payed for being ******** and just moderating the content created by their community. I just fear that the community will find other places to go, and TVDB, while becoming a payed thing, will provide a worse service instead of better.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:59 AM, GiGo said:

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully TVDB will realise what a silly mistake it is! Pretty crap to 'sell' user generated data. I get there are costs involved, but many users have taken time to sort images, shows etc... and get literally nothing back in return other than satisfaction for helping for the 'greater good' and then to be told well you can't use it anymore unless you pay us! Think the TVDB might die, can't imagine people submitting things to it if they can't use it themselves for free!

Well technically when they provide quality content, they can get a free subscription so they potentially could get it for free. Question will be, is that enough for most of them to stick around? And on top of that, won't any issues arise around this, like people not hitting a quota, not getting their subscription renewed, getting pissed and leaving etc. etc. On paper this idea might keep them afloat, but them being the ********* they are, I can see this going wrong pretty easily. And they are vague about this part as well, not stating what is considered quality content, how often you need to deliver that kind of content, etc. etc.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:55 PM, Luke said:

Yes this was in the email as well, just very little information on the how, what, when etc. But I am already seeing comment from many contributors who already decided they are moving on to a different place....

Guess it was bound to happen after initiating the whole subscription thing...

• 1 month later...
rbjtech

Unless this is just a blip - I'm now getting a lot of my 'thetvdb.com' requests 'cancelled' - causing all sorts of nasty blank graphics in emby ... :(

MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Cancelling connection to https://www.thetvdb.com/api/****

I've now removed it as a metadata source from the library, (and promoted TMDB, then OMDB) - refreshed those items and all is well again. 

I guess it was only a matter of time ... 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Sad 1

rbjtech

The website appears to be ok - but my log is filled with these errors on any thetvdb api calls .. so it's either some sort of throttle or they have started rejecting API calls ..

Either way, emby is not handling the missing item too well as it's just displaying a blank 'box' - I thought it would drop to the 2nd metadata provider on the list (in library settings), but that doesn't appear to be the case.  I had to untick thetvdb and promote the others to the top to get it to populate after a refresh ?

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Unless this is just a blip - I'm now getting a lot of my 'thetvdb.com' requests 'cancelled' - causing all sorts of nasty blank graphics in emby ... :(

MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Cancelling connection to https://www.thetvdb.com/api/****

I've now removed it as a metadata source from the library, (and promoted TMDB, then OMDB) - refreshed those items and all is well again. 

I guess it was only a matter of time ... 

No seeing any issues in stable or beta on my systems.

• Like 1