TVDB Api Issues

TwIXx
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

rbjtech

yep - must have been a blip as GET responses are now error free.  Very odd .. maybe they did some maintenance during the out of hours (US) peak time.

It's good that it is back - it is definitely more accurate with TV series than the other providers.

• Like 1

revengineer
On 11/15/2020 at 4:22 AM, cayars said:

The worst case situation would be that each user would need to subscribe to the meta-data provider, if they want to continue using them, not unlike a VIP subscription to Open Subtitles.

This is the way this should be implemented in emby. I strongly disagree with emby negotiating to include this in Emby Premiere as it would contribute to making the lifetime subscription unsustainable. I do not use these data and do not want to subsidize those who do. Those who want it should by their own subscriptions. Just my 2 cents... 

• Like 2

It seems that trakt will switch to TMDB.

https://blog.trakt.tv/tmdb-transition-ef3d19a5cf24

I personally prefer TMDB, is the only one that supports multiple versions for each language. And is not a small detail as almost every movie and various series have different names in Spain and Mexico (latin america). And when asked for this feature in thetvdb through their ticket system the answer with a "declined, there is no need for multiple versions of spanish".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
GrimReaper
On 11/15/2020 at 10:22 AM, cayars said:

There is a lot of time before this will change  and the team is aware of the situation at looking at ways to resolve this as well as other alternatives.
Can't really comment more on this at this time.

The worst case situation would be that each user would need to subscribe to the meta-data provider, if they want to continue using them, not unlike a VIP subscription to Open Subtitles

Guess that time is coming closer, what is the actual progress on this? And the v4 API implementation? Will it be system-wide or subscription based? Or any alternatives will come in play? I don't mind paying dollar-a-month, but at the moment have no idea about the actual vision Dev team is having. 

Thanks

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Guess that time is coming closer, what is the actual progress on this? And the v4 API implementation? Will it be system-wide or subscription based? Or any alternatives will come in play? I don't mind paying dollar-a-month, but at the moment have no idea about the actual vision Dev team is having. 

Thanks

It isn't finalized yet but, most likely, there will be a place for you to enter your tvdb key into the plugin.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play

Just the supposed cutoff is maybe a month away.  But TVDB has not said anything about this except a cutoff in March when they stated v4.  Unless some one has seen something different.

So everyone is pretty much in the dark until the last minute when they flip the switch.

Bigmack3000
45 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, please see ebr's response above. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Just the supposed cutoff is maybe a month away.  But TVDB has not said anything about this except a cutoff in March when they stated v4.  Unless some one has seen something different.

So everyone is pretty much in the dark until the last minute when they flip the switch.

Will there be a small gap between the switch to v4 and when the Emby plugin is updated? Or do you think it will be ready before that?

Maybe Emby and another media server or two should boycott the change and send them a message. :)

5 minutes ago, cayars said:

Maybe Emby and another media server or two should boycott the change and send them a message. :)

Completely agree, I've changed my scraping over to the open movie database a couple of weeks ago, it's not as good but I'm not paying for thetvdb, Trakt announced they changed a few weeks ago. 

Hopefully others will follow Trakt in switching. 

It would be easier (in terms of coding) no doubt for emby to just 'delete' tvdb as an option, but not great for people who wish to pay for it. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play
28 minutes ago, GiGo said:

It would be easier (in terms of coding) no doubt for emby to just 'delete' tvdb as an option, but not great for people who wish to pay for it. 

All you have to do is remove the plugin. 

Bigmack3000
33 minutes ago, GiGo said:

Completely agree, I've changed my scraping over to the open movie database a couple of weeks ago, it's not as good but I'm not paying for thetvdb, Trakt announced they changed a few weeks ago. 

Hopefully others will follow Trakt in switching. 

I know the way tvdb went about this was horrible and controversial, but when looking just at the metadata it brings in "not as good" is worth a dollar a month to me.  Should TMDB equal or surpass TVDB in a few months then awesome.  But until then it's not worth rescrapping hundreds of shows and checking each episode for mistakes/order changes/etc.

9 hours ago, Bigmack3000 said:

I know the way tvdb went about this was horrible and controversial, but when looking just at the metadata it brings in "not as good" is worth a dollar a month to me.  Should TMDB equal or surpass TVDB in a few months then awesome.  But until then it's not worth rescrapping hundreds of shows and checking each episode for mistakes/order changes/etc.

Same here.
I just don't know if it's worth all the hazzle because of a buck.
No doubt their move was controversial though.
Some sort of a dilema here...

5 hours ago, neik said:

I'm pretty sure they were in the situation of - either we shut this down, or we find a way to keep it going.  Put it this way - if you'd been working for free for several years and finally run out of savings, you might be forced to take a job that pays.

• Like 1

That is true ebr.  But what rubs many people the wrong way isn't that THEY created something but instead are reselling USER DATA essentially.

Of course it's their infrastructure and programming but the "product" itself is user generated data.

I surely understand their situation from a business standpoint, but also understand frustration for those who have contributed over the years to make it what it is.
What personally bugs me however is shutting down communication channels.

With that said I'm sure I'll be a customer and subscribe regardless of what I've said or my own personal feelings. :)

GrimReaper

While I agree with most of your points there, @cayars, I don't quite share your understanding for contributors and their moaning. If not all, then most (or not?) of us have at some point or another uploaded a bit of two there, but the amount of data retreived is infinitely larger, at least in my case. Granted, I'm positive there is/was a number of serious content uploaders there, with ratio reversed, albeit I'm also positive that content consumers are vast majority, by far. And therein lies the problem: "We created content there, so it's ours." No, it ain't. Nor it ever was. Nobody was prevented to create their own site, service or whatever. And be in total control. (And likely fail graciously). And all this uproar for - where I come from - price of HALF cup of coffee is beyond me. Even contemplating that to be a deal-breaker for me is, sincerely, ridiculous. And the choice of having that data for miserable sum (while in the same time overpaying for number of services which I use by an order of magnitude less than TVDB data) or not having it at all - is no choice at all. My 2c.

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typos, of course
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, neik said:

Same here.
No doubt their move was controversial though.
Some sort of a dilema here...

I don't think it was a question of stay free vs. try to make money. I think it was more a question of either go premium or face having to shut down altogether due to cost. They are too big now for the developers to treat it like a hobby project and just spend their free time on it. They need full time staff including software developers, customer support, etc., and all of that costs a lot of money. The funds have to come from somewhere or you can't keep it going anymore.  If everybody swarms to MovieDb they could eventually end up facing the same dilemma.

That's probably the best summary given yet.

One thing for sure they priced things decently.

16 hours ago, cayars said:

But what rubs many people the wrong way isn't that THEY created something but instead are reselling USER DATA essentially.

On one hand: Exactly this.

12 hours ago, cayars said:

One thing for sure they priced things decently.

On the other hand: Also absolutely true.

So, in my case I will just pay the buck per month and that's it.
Easily solved and worth to invest more time...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cayars said:

But what rubs many people the wrong way isn't that THEY created something but instead are reselling USER DATA essentially.

Yeah, that's what rubs people but people are not looking at that correctly.  The product isn't the data.  It is the access to the data.

For instance.  The original Google search engine didn't provide a single bit of data themselves.  It just provided you easy access to data.  Same thing.  It still costs money to produce, maintain and support such things.

15 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yeah, that's what rubs people but people are not looking at that correctly.  The product isn't the data.  It is the access to the data.

That's like saying Emby doesn't provide the media only access to the person's media.  :)
You're not allowed to use that kind of logic here. LOL

Of course you're absolutely correct as well.

You could also likely say that anyone who has contributed in the past has more than likely greatly benefited on the receiving end of data as well far more than they ever contributed.