TVDB Api Issues

TwIXx
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

CharleyVarrick

Hi Happy and others,

is api4 being already use along with Emby by some?

I was also wondering how v4 would interface with Emby.

I imagine in Manage/Library/Edit/(Show advanced settings),

in wich you add tvdb paying service connection fields; user/pass, or product key (?)

GrimReaper
24 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

I was also wondering how v4 would interface with Emby.

I imagine in Manage/Library/Edit/(Show advanced settings),

More likely in plugin settings itself and/or separate Dashboard tab in line with how Open Subtitles and Addic7ed plugins do it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper

Smooth move, there.

TheTVDB announced that the sunset of their (free) API v3 will be on October 1, 2021. With the sunset of TheTVDB API v3, the current implementation in tinyMediaManager will no longer be able to pull data from TheTVDB.

TheTVDB API v4 is not free anymore (you can use it either via a subscription or by contributing to TheTVDB) - but we managed to negotiate a contract to make it possible to use TheTVDB without any additional subscription.

Starting with tinyMediaManager v4.2 the implementation of TheTVDB API v4 is included with free access to TheTVDB for all PRO users. Users of tinyMediaManager v2, v3, v4.0 and v4.1 will lose the ability to use TheTVDB after October 1, 2021.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Smooth move, there.

TheTVDB announced that the sunset of their (free) API v3 will be on October 1, 2021. With the sunset of TheTVDB API v3, the current implementation in tinyMediaManager will no longer be able to pull data from TheTVDB.

TheTVDB API v4 is not free anymore (you can use it either via a subscription or by contributing to TheTVDB) - but we managed to negotiate a contract to make it possible to use TheTVDB without any additional subscription.

Starting with tinyMediaManager v4.2 the implementation of TheTVDB API v4 is included with free access to TheTVDB for all PRO users. Users of tinyMediaManager v2, v3, v4.0 and v4.1 will lose the ability to use TheTVDB after October 1, 2021.

Wonder how they did that as I know MCM was quoted like $50K+ per year.  I wonder what kind of deal they got?

Edited by Happy2Play

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Wonder how they did that as I know MCM was quoted like $50K+ per year.  I wonder if something changed?

Have no idea, was just reading Blogs. Maybe?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
GrimReaper

Any movement on this front? I reckon it should've been already implemented, in order to identify potential issues and not wait till literally last day(s). 

As per TVDB, latest API related info dates Aug 17th:

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Any movement on this front? I reckon it should've been already implemented, in order to identify potential issues and not wait till literally last day(s).

Yes a plugin update is currently being done, but yes it is to close to the cutoff, as the plugin is basically a rewrite for the new api.  But with what the new api offers I would expect plugin updates for months.

• Thanks 1

Bigmack3000

So if the update isn't done for tomorrow, Emby will stop receiving information from tvdb until it is updated, correct?

Is there an idea of what the process will be after the update?  I need to purchase a key from tvdb?

• Like 1

You will not have to purchase an api key. Our tvdb support will just work like it always has. We're being told that old api's will not be shut off just yet tomorrow (but soon), so that gives us a little more time to get the update released.

The work is largely done and I expect to have a test build of the new tvdb plugin up today for those that are interested in trying it out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bigmack3000

1 hour ago, Luke said:

You will not have to purchase an api key. Our tvdb support will just work like it always has. We're being told that old api's will not be shut off just yet tomorrow (but soon), so that gives us a little more time to get the update released.

The work is largely done and I expect to have a test build of the new tvdb plugin up today for those that are interested in trying it out.

Oh, awesome!  Will this still add the ability to choose "Alternate" episode orders aside from dvd?

Happy2Play
Just now, Bigmack3000 said:

Oh, awesome!  Will this still add the ability to choose "Alternate" episode orders aside from dvd?

Currently no.

Core server only has Aired, DVD and Absolute.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
Just now, Bigmack3000 said:

Got it.  But this will be one of the updates over the coming months?

You will have to keep on Luke's radar, but would put in in the testing topic.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
39 minutes ago, Bigmack3000 said:

Will do.  I assume the trickiness is that "Alternate" can go by any number of names show to show?

Looking at the endpoint Luke would have to make these options available.

image.thumb.png.06665a3a92b020aaef2983c8b602cbd1.png

Happy2Play
39 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:
47 minutes ago, Bigmack3000 said:

So something like this is using 'alternate" and then renaming it? 

https://thetvdb.com/series/long-way-down

Would have to test but that appears to be linked to DVD per hover url.  So it should work now set to DVD.

@Bigmack3000yes setting series display order to DVD will pull that extended version metadata from TVDB with the new plugin.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

FYI, but with Emby currently having v4 access we just need continue testing the new plugin and let Luke know of any found defects.

Hi TheTVDB Community Member,

As you may know from previous emails, we rolled out theTVDB’s new API (v4) in November of 2020. Since then, we have received and addressed valuable feedback from many projects that are currently developing against v4. If you are among those who have been using the new API, thank you, and please keep the comments coming!  If you aren’t yet using it, we encourage you to migrate to v4 as soon as possible, so we can incorporate your feedback before we sunset our legacy APIs.

On that note: if you are still using any of our legacy APIs (v1 and v3) you can rest assured that they will not be deprecated until we feel that the development community has had sufficient time to migrate over to v4. However, these legacy APIs will be turned off in the first half of 2022, so we encourage you to reach out and create a v4 API key so that your project can receive all of the beneficial new data that the v4 API has to offer, and so we can address any questions you may have.

For any questions regarding v4, please reach out to us via support@thetvdb.com or our GitHub repo.

• Like 2