Live TV Guide Changes in Emby Server 3.6

Luke

unhooked

New guide data seems to be working well, is there a limit to how many localities we can pull from via gracenote?

Also, will providing our own continue to be concatenated and merged in the future?

The reason I ask is I live near the border and no sources ever have everything I pull in and comet doesn't have  an android app so

I source that from the web (just nice to see what's on without going in the other room to turn on the roku.)

There currently is not a limit. Yes you can still continue to use your own sources as well. Thanks.

• Like 1

will they still be a limit on the amount of international providers lists you can select at a time ?

What do you mean? A limit where?

mypanasonic

What do you mean? A limit where?

on SD at the moment you can only select either 4-5 providers ie. Sky HD, Virgin, DirecTV, Dish Network etc 

if you try to add anymore SD says you have gone over your account limit

so say on my channels list consists of 

epix, epix 2 and epixs hits is on Dish Network and the following movie channels are on DirecTV HBO, FOX Movies etc..

then i add Sky for my uk channels and then ViaSat for my nordic movie channels that have English audio.

Edited by mypanasonic

This is important to know, because I get IPTV sources from local channels in different areas of the US. ie, some content from Chicago, NY, Fla, LA, etc. The guide data is different, but with SD I can only choose 4 sources. Does Emby allow me to choose more than that so I can get data from different locations?

I would be happy with eight. Can't see ever needing more than that with IPTV.

A typical setup for me would be to use east and west dish for 100 channels, then local on 6 zip codes using 6-10 channels

Edited by dcol

murky024

So I am excited to see these upcoming changes. This all looks great and I am glad I didn't renew my SD subscription. I am curious when the estimated timeline for release to production will be?

unhooked

I would be happy with eight. Can't see ever needing more than that with IPTV.

A typical setup for me would be to use east and west dish for 100 channels, then local on 6 zip codes using 6-10 channels

If you end up needing more, you can use zap2xml to pull a couple of sources utilizing the -J flag to combine them and then feed that to emby. zap2 can pull from tvguide.com and their source. Last time I checked you could even pull anonymously. Or set up one free account for each, and customize your lineups as anon pulls pull everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
doffactory

May I just kindly double-check. If we upgrade to 3.6 we will not be able to go back to 3.5, right? I am curious, what happens if I do NOT want to use gracenote, but I have my own xmltv EPG data? Would it be still possible to import? I see nowhere any info about this. It is especially relevant for me, as I will not be able to downgrade. Premiere user here.

samuelqwe

May I just kindly double-check. If we upgrade to 3.6 we will not be able to go back to 3.5, right? I am curious, what happens if I do NOT want to use gracenote, but I have my own xmltv EPG data? Would it be still possible to import? I see nowhere any info about this. It is especially relevant for me, as I will not be able to downgrade. Premiere user here.

XMLTV isn’t going anywhere. I use 3.6 and I can use XMLTV guides just fine. But no, you can’t go back, at least not easily.

• Like 2

@@doffactory

What's your Live TV source ?

If it is IPTV, than I would advise to keep your current XMLTV EPG data setup as it is now, because Guide data channel mapping in current 3.6 beta, still needs some TLC from Emby Devs to make the transition to Emby Guide data (GN) with IPTV channels user friendly and not a headache.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65982-new-emby-guide-provider/page-15&do=findComment&comment=668486

Revamped Channel Management appears to be on Emby's roadmap AFTER the 3.6 release, so lets wait and see what future development brings.

kanipek

The easiest way to go back to a previous version is - - before you update make a backup of the program data and system folders that reside in your emby-server folder. You will have to do a library scan to catch any changes if you go back. I am using XMLTV with 3.6 works just fine.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My suggestion is, if you have IPTV and want to map under 100 channels and have some time to kill. Go for it. Works very nice.

Personally I use iptv-epg.com and customize the M3U playlist with only the channels I use. Then it is not so cumbersome.

The ultimate goal is to dump all those 'paid' services when Emby has some decent channel management.

doffactory

@@doffactory

What's your Live TV source ?

If it is IPTV, than I would advise to keep your current XMLTV EPG data setup as it is now, because Guide data channel mapping in current 3.6 beta, still needs some TLC from Emby Devs to make the transition to Emby Guide data (GN) with IPTV channels user friendly and not a headache.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65982-new-emby-guide-provider/page-15&do=findComment&comment=668486

Revamped Channel Management appears to be on Emby's roadmap AFTER the 3.6 release, so lets wait and see what future development brings.

Thanks, this is exactly what I had in mind, however, I was not aware that the xmltv is staying or not. My main reason for emby is indeed the iptv + transcoding functionality, less movies. This is absolutely crucial for me. Thanks everybody for the update.

The easiest way to go back to a previous version is - - before you update make a backup of the program data and system folders that reside in your emby-server folder. You will have to do a library scan to catch any changes if you go back. I am using XMLTV with 3.6 works just fine.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, made the necessary backups indeed. This is the safest option one can have. 

My suggestion is, if you have IPTV and want to map under 100 channels and have some time to kill. Go for it. Works very nice.

Personally I use iptv-epg.com and customize the M3U playlist with only the channels I use. Then it is not so cumbersome.

The ultimate goal is to dump all those 'paid' services when Emby has some decent channel management.

Thanks for the clarification. I would wish for a much better iptv handling in Emby, which would be much more TV-friendly even in a browser window, seeing a list of TV channels, proper EPG listing, etc. At the moment things do work, however, it is sometimes difficult to navigate through 200+ of iptv channels.

notla49285

Can I ask - I want to set up Live TV for the first time now on my server, can I sign up for Schedules Direct or is this now unavailable? Any ideas when 3.6 will be on stable release? I appreciate that development takes time but a little clarification as to where users currently stand would be nice.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

thats what I do with xteve. I supply a 100% matching m3u and xmltv file from xteve, actually still from schedules direct. It works very well
  • Like 2

Looked at xteve. Huge learning curve with a CLI only interface. Gave it up after a few hours of no results. Waste of time in my book.

Spaceboy

Looked at xteve. Huge learning curve with a CLI only interface. Gave it up after a few hours of no results. Waste of time in my book.

[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji2957] you’ve made a fool of yourself there. You spent a few hours on it and didn’t realise the command window is for information only [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] how thick are you?

Really, A bit abusive of a post. Man, I hit a nerve. You got some interest in that piece of garbage?

Gave it a valid attempt. Didn't work and didn't like the interface. Never showed any content and had errors pulling in some M3U streams. Had more difficulty than any other M3U program I have used. Not user friendly and a waste of time IMO.

Edited by dcol

kanipek

[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji2957] you’ve made a fool of yourself there. You spent a few hours on it and didn’t realise the command window is for information only [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] how thick are you?

Poke fun at others....mature

That being said xteve isn't the easiest thing to set up, with basically no documentation. The Discord channel can be of some help - but that too is pretty "different" from typical forum type support. I just wish it worked with the HDHR Prime.

Edited by kanipek

notla49285

Really, A bit abusive of a post. Man, I hit a nerve. You got some interest in that piece of garbage?

Gave it a valid attempt. Didn't work and didn't like the interface. Never showed any content and had errors pulling in some M3U streams. Had more difficulty than any other M3U program I have used. Not user friendly and a waste of time IMO.

Don't waste time on @@Spaceboy trying to justify yourself, report his post and move on.

Edited by notla49285