Live TV Guide Changes in Emby Server 3.6

Luke

NikeSwe

Wow.. okey, so should I extend my SD-account now and hope for the best as Sweden is not in your list? Should I add one year over at SD or what? I will not really know when or if you will support Sweden?

Without SD-data for Sweden or from the new provider, premiere does not feel worth it for me.

Edited by NikeSwe
  • Like 1

We are going to explore both data from Gracenote as well as other guide provider options. In the US, Gracenote is pretty much the only option, but in Europe there are others we can look at as well. It's just going to take a little time.

Just so we're clear, XmlTV support will always be there, it's not going anywhere.

Thanks.

• Like 2

NikeSwe

No good and reliable XMLTV available here.  :(

Going to look for other solutions or media software I think.

I would just stay on your SD subscription because by the time it runs out, there's a decent chance we'll have a solution for  you. Thanks.

NikeSwe

Two months or one year is the option you have when renew is available (45 days before expire), so yeah. Let's hope that 2 more months will be enough....

I really like the SD data. If that's the same as Gracenote, it's good. I saw that Plex seem to have the same listings as SD (my selected lineup has a special name, same name as SD and Plex is listing), so, all Gracenote I guess. I have no problem paying extra for the service..

Edited by NikeSwe

Fratopolis

I like this whole idea personally. But for others that want to keep schedules direct due to country issues couldnt they just use the program mc2xml with SD to produce an XmlTV guide file?

• Like 1

rfischman

With the switch to Gracenote, will Emby be able to handle the HD Homerun Premium channels correctly?  Right now, I have 2 guides from SchedulesDirect - one for my OTA channels and another for the HDHR Premium channels.

This was one of the biggest issues I had with Plex - the integrated EPG through Gracenote didn't properly recognize/handle the HRH Premium channels without some backend scripts running to create an XMLTV based guide on a scheduled basis.

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I like this whole idea personally. But for others that want to keep schedules direct due to country issues couldnt they just use the program mc2xml with SD to produce an XmlTV guide file?

I was thinking the same thing.

Interesting observation....

Since I started using Emby, and since Plex started offering live TV, one of the biggest complaints was that Plex included program information and Emby did not.  Now that Emby is going to include it, folks are still going to complain.

I'm looking forward to the improvements even though I just recent re-upped my SD.

• Like 1

NikeSwe

I was thinking the same thing.

Interesting observation....

Since I started using Emby, and since Plex started offering live TV, one of the biggest complaints was that Plex included program information and Emby did not.  Now that Emby is going to include it, folks are still going to complain.

I'm looking forward to the improvements even though I just recent re-upped my SD.

Why would people complain about that?

I "want" to keep it because SD is the only viable option right now. About using other apps to convert the data it comes down to if you care (or not) about SD's subscription agreement.

Btw, I also "like the idea". But yeah, wrong country.

Edited by NikeSwe

Fratopolis

When there's a change someone always has something bad to say. But if nothing changes then the product becomes stagnant.

So either evolve as a customer or become a dinosaur lol.

Show me a product that satisfies everyone all the time and I'll show you my powers of telekinesis. But I won't show mine until you show me yours first lol.

• Like 1

When is it allowed to complain? Never?

We value all of your feedback. Anytime is a good time to leave a suggestion and help us improve the software. Thanks.

• Like 2

BAlGaInTl

Okay... I think I can read between the lines now.

It doesn't seem that Emby is doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.  It seems it's being forced.

That being said, I still think it's a good move forward.  I'm looking forward to it.  Sometimes, even forced change is good.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

I don't get the complaints.  Included EPG hasn't been a part of premiere, now it is, for select countries.  But SD, XML, and now Gracenote are supported.  So premiere saves one $2/month in select countries, if you opt in and rescan your channels, otherwise there's no change and life goes on?  Why is this topic 4 pages long?

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I don't get the complaints.  Included EPG hasn't been a part of premiere, now it is, for select countries.  But SD, XML, and now Gracenote are supported.  So premiere saves one $2/month in select countries, if you opt in and rescan your channels, otherwise there's no change and life goes on?  Why is this topic 4 pages long?

I think that's the point that some are making (if I'm understanding it now).  SD isn't supported anymore.  It actually isn't supported now, but SD is allowing the API key to work for the time being.  That is if I understand correctly.  

So if your country doesn't have a good source of XML data, what do you do?

Fratopolis

Well crap I'll chime in one more time for Mastermind. SD support from my take will be ending once current subscriptions run out unless you convert SD to XmlTV. That being said, someone posted about it being against SD terms of service and that I do not know, also what you do with this information is up to you.

• Like 1

NikeSwe

Emby was allowed and listed as approved when I got my SD subscription. Suddenly, Emby was removed from the list (I have a thread about that in the SD-part of this forum). The reason is Emby has gone from open source and free to more closed and commercial (as I understand it from talking to both SD and Emby staff). So, SD can't approve Emby anymore. Probably limited by their own licenses with the data providers.

Edited by NikeSwe
  • Like 3

BAlGaInTl

Emby was allowed and listed as approved when I got my SD subscription. Suddenly, Emby was removed from the list (I have a thread about that in the SD-part of this forum). The reason is Emby has gone from open source and free to more closed and commercial. So, SD can't approve Emby anymore. Probably limited by their own licenses with the data providers.

Yeah... that's what I was figuring out as well.  I went and looked and saw Emby was off the list and figured it's for exactly that reason.

I don't blame the developers of Emby.  They deserve to make a living at what they are doing.

• Like 2