Automatic version grouping for movies

MikePlanet

Anielarias
5 minutes ago, lorac said:

If on stable 1.0.0.5 but if on beta only 1.0.0.4 will work

am using 1.0.0.5 on the latest beta right now, am i in trouble?

lorac

It won't work unless something changed in the core (seems doubtful). I know the 1.0.0.4 works (or at least it was as of a couple beta versions ago).

Anielarias
2 minutes ago, lorac said:

It won't work unless something changed in the core (seems doubtful). I know the 1.0.0.4 works (or at least it was as of a couple beta versions ago).

am using 1.0.0.5 and it seems to be working, the post is a little confusing as to what version am supposed to be using

lorac

OK. It's confusing because the plugin is no longer maintained by the original dev along with a few years of posts and many different versions of emby.

If 1.0.0.5 is working for you that's great.

Anielarias
3 minutes ago, lorac said:

OK. It's confusing because the plugin is no longer maintained by the original dev along with a few years of posts and many different versions of emby.

If 1.0.0.5 is working for you that's great.

ok thanks, will give 1.0.0.4 a try as well

• 2 weeks later...
holdengray180

Random question, using the latest stable version of the server and I was using the 1.0.0.5 version of the plugin previously, and it worked great. I uninstalled the plugin temporarily because I was reorganizing my server's media locations, and I can't seem to get the plugin to work again after reinstalling it. I've added the .dll back to the plugin folder, tried using a previous version, restarted the server, and pc, and emby just doesn't seem to detect the plugin anymore. It doesn't appear anywhere in the ui for emby, but it is definitely in the plugin folder. Any suggestions on how to get it to show up again?

Edited by holdengray180

55 minutes ago, holdengray180 said:

Random question, using the latest stable version of the server and I was using the 1.0.0.5 version of the plugin previously, and it worked great. I uninstalled the plugin temporarily because I was reorganizing my server's media locations, and I can't seem to get the plugin to work again after reinstalling it. I've added the .dll back to the plugin folder, tried using a previous version, restarted the server, and pc, and emby just doesn't seem to detect the plugin anymore. It doesn't appear anywhere in the ui for emby, but it is definitely in the plugin folder. Any suggestions on how to get it to show up again?

Hi, please attach the emby server log. Thanks.

holdengray180
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

what file did you put where exactly? It doesn't appear to be installed.

I guess I sort of figured out a workaround for it. The file was originally named AutoCollections.dll, and I put it in AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\plugins. I renamed it to AutoCollections1.dll and put it in the same plugins location, and that worked fine. I'm not sure why that made it work, but it seems to be fine now.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
ZLuckyTraveler

I have a Movies-HD (1080p/720p) library and Movies-UHD Library (4K). For every 4K movies there is a Non-4K (HD) copy available in the other library. If I use this plugin is it going to group and remove movies from either my UHD or HD library?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, ZLuckyTraveler said:

If I use this plugin is it going to group and remove movies from either my UHD or HD library?

No, you'll just have version dropdown in both libraries and single entry in Continue Watching row. 

ZLuckyTraveler
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

No, you'll just have version dropdown in both libraries and single entry in Continue Watching row. 

Thanks for the response.

Is there a way to select or exclude certain libraries for the plugin to work with?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, ZLuckyTraveler said:

Is there a way to select or exclude certain libraries for the plugin to work with?

Nope, though that question has come up before. 

ZLuckyTraveler
10 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Nope, though that question has come up before. 

Yes I saw it a while ago, not sure if an update was released for it to do so or not yet, but was trying to remain hopeful.

My use case is that I have a Movies-UHD library with two directories added. 1st directory is a 4K low bitrate WEB-DL quality and the 2nd directory is a high bitrate REMUX quality, which results in about 70%-ish of movies having a duplicate copy.

I prefer to  just combine them into a single library instead of two separate ones and then just have myself or my users select the version which would be compatible for them. I'm coming from Plex, and the auto grouping that is done on library scan/creation is great, however finding that is not the case with Emby. Sure I could just go through them one by one and group, but then I'll have to maintain that going forward which is not fun or ideal. So I'm hoping to find a solution for this library to automatically group multiple copies for just this library.

Edited by ZLuckyTraveler

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, ZLuckyTraveler said:

My use case is that I have a Movies-UHD library with two directories added. 1st directory is a 4K low bitrate WEB-DL quality and the 2nd directory is a high bitrate REMUX quality. I prefer to  just combine them into a single library instead of two separate ones and then just have the user select the version which would be compatible for them. I'm coming from Plex, and this auto grouping that is done on library scan/creation is great, however finding that is not the case with Emby. Sure I could just go through them one by one and group, but then I'll have to maintain that going forward which is not fun or ideal. So I'm hoping to find a solution for this library to auto group multiple copies specifically for a single library.

You should just use core multi-versioning feature, with single root folder, and just drop Remux version once obtained into the same movie folder, that way it'll be restricted to Movies-UHD library only, if you so choose. 

https://emby.media/support/articles/Movie-Naming.html#multi-version-movies

ZLuckyTraveler
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

You should just use core multi-versioning feature, with single root folder, and just drop Remux version once obtained into the same movie folder, that way it'll be restricted to Movies-UHD library only, if you so choose. 

https://emby.media/support/articles/Movie-Naming.html#multi-version-movies

Unfortunately that's not going to be an option for me. Lots of time has gone into setting it up this way on purpose, I also have over a couple hundred TB's of data and primarily use Plex. Doing big changes like that would be quite the conundrum for me.

16 hours ago, ZLuckyTraveler said:

Unfortunately that's not going to be an option for me. Lots of time has gone into setting it up this way on purpose, I also have over a couple hundred TB's of data and primarily use Plex. Doing big changes like that would be quite the conundrum for me.

By any chance are you using movie folder names that match similar to either of these so they would always match?

Alone (2020)
or
Alone (2020) [tmdbid=509635]

ZLuckyTraveler
On 6/26/2023 at 9:18 AM, Carlo said:

By any chance are you using movie folder names that match similar to either of these so they would always match?

Alone (2020)
or
Alone (2020) [tmdbid=509635]

Yes I am.
For the longest period I've been using Movie (Year) however starting last month I updated my folder naming to now use Movie (Year) {imdb-tt0000000}

Why do you ask?

Because you could create a 3rd view of these two sets of folders with a "fuse" type overlay. As long as your folders are named the same and the files are different like these two:
Alone (2020).mkv
Alone (2020)-4K.mkv
or

Alone (2020)-1080.mkv
Alone (2020)-4K.mkv

An overlay file system could work well.  But if you have anything like this in both folders they would overlap and it wouldn't work to well.
Alone (2020).mkv
Alone (2020).mkv

What OS are you running Emby Server on?

ZLuckyTraveler
On 6/28/2023 at 9:46 AM, Carlo said:

Because you could create a 3rd view of these two sets of folders with a "fuse" type overlay. As long as your folders are named the same and the files are different like these two:
Alone (2020).mkv
Alone (2020)-4K.mkv
or

Alone (2020)-1080.mkv
Alone (2020)-4K.mkv

An overlay file system could work well.  But if you have anything like this in both folders they would overlap and it wouldn't work to well.
Alone (2020).mkv
Alone (2020).mkv

What OS are you running Emby Server on?

I do not have my 4k and HD movies in the same directory or folder. They are completely separate directories with their own Sonarr and Radarr instances.
For OS I'm using Linux Docker.

Example

home/media/movies/[Movie Folder]/[Movie File]
home/media/movies4k/[Movie Folder]/[Movie File]

I use my own custom overlay on my posters for 4K media on Plex so it's easily identifiable. It's really a shame that this isn't possible with Emby.

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 8.25.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 8.25.56 PM.png

You can overlay them at the OS level to appear as one directory, thus getting multi-versions.

You could also check out the community driven plugin already mentioned to do this for you by multi-versioning movies across libraries and directories.

Carlo

mattmartinolc

Does this work on the latest stable emby server? Trying 1.0.0.5 on ubuntu server right now. I see it in the server admin pages with the options and added menu item but so far movies are not being merged. I have a lot of duplicates in various folders. I can't do anything about it as a lot of them are mounted to local folders from remote servers that I have only read only access.

Anielarias
6 hours ago, mattmartinolc said:

Does this work on the latest stable emby server? Trying 1.0.0.5 on ubuntu server right now. I see it in the server admin pages with the options and added menu item but so far movies are not being merged. I have a lot of duplicates in various folders. I can't do anything about it as a lot of them are mounted to local folders from remote servers that I have only read only access.

i think am having the same issue