meatrack

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered one of the new FireTV's from Amazon with the intention of replacing my full-tower computer I am currently using as an HTPC. I'll probably save the $100 it cost off of my electricity bill within the first year :P

Not sure yet if I'm going to run emby straight up off of it, or install Kodi and use the emby for Kodi plugin. Going to give the emby app a shot first and see if I prefer it.

Excitement!

Redshirt

Just ordered one of the new FireTV's from Amazon with the intention of replacing my full-tower computer I am currently using as an HTPC. I'll probably save the $100 it cost off of my electricity bill within the first year :P

Not sure yet if I'm going to run emby straight up off of it, or install Kodi and use the emby for Kodi plugin. Going to give the emby app a shot first and see if I prefer it.

Excitement!

The 2nd gen Fire TV devices are a bit of a let down when it comes to Kodi. Thanks to Amazon you can't put Kodi on your homescreen. You have to launch it by navigating to Settings->Application->Manage Installed Applications->Kodi->Launch Application. 

• Like 1

Holy cow, could you hear my brakes screeching from there? I'm glad you told me that, as my father will be the primary user and he is at that age where if it's more than one-button click away he absolutely cannot figure it out. I zipped right over to Amazon and canceled my order.

Hrm. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I really like the performance of emby on my friends Roku, but the reason I didn't buy it for my father is because the app interface is confusing and a bit ugly. the Amazon emby app looks fantastic... but I spent the last 30min reading backwards through this thread and I see that people are having problems with the audio pass through.

I'm going to have to do more research.

Is the audio pass-through problem fixed?

You'd have to define "problem".

I'm not sure if Amazon has released the update that fixes DD on the device but I'm assuming folks will pop in when they confirm that they have.

DTS plays back fine as 5.1 PCM (with the soon to be released version of the Emby App).

You'd have to define "problem".

I'm not sure if Amazon has released the update that fixes DD on the device but I'm assuming folks will pop in when they confirm that they have.

DTS plays back fine as 5.1 PCM (with the soon to be released version of the Emby App).

DolbyDigital 5.1 source not passing to the receiver and playing as 2.0 only being the problem.

My library is skewed towards DTS, but I do have quite a lot of DD 5.1 movies and shows, as well, and the unit will be hooked up to a 5.1 system.

Basically, what I want is a $100 or less mini-PC to replace my honking Coolermaster full-size tower game rig I built in 2010 which is ugly and inefficient. I don't like the Roku interface and the NVIDIA Shield is too expensive IMO for what I want to use it for so i've kind of ruled those out. I doubt the device will be used for anything other than emby so i suppose it could easily be any Android device, or a mini-PC running Kodi... or a FireTV.

*edit: Just checked the local BestBuy and they have them in stock. Maybe I'll go pick one up instead of ordering from Amazon, that way I can easily return it if it doesn't quite fit my needs.

Edited by z0mbi

cgrey000

The 2nd gen Fire TV devices are a bit of a let down when it comes to Kodi. Thanks to Amazon you can't put Kodi on your homescreen. You have to launch it by navigating to Settings->Application->Manage Installed Applications->Kodi->Launch Application. 

Or, get FireStarter: http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

cgrey000

DolbyDigital 5.1 source not passing to the receiver and playing as 2.0 only being the problem.

At the hardware level, this is fixed with a firmware update, and I can confirm it works in Kodi (5.1DD passed through to my receiver).

The FTV Emby app does not pass DD, but as ebr said, converts to 5.1 PCM

The FTV Emby app does not pass DD, but as ebr said, converts to 5.1 PCM

Actually, we do pass thru DD - it is just that it is currently disabled in the app because of the firmware problem mentioned above.  If I can confirm that is fixed then I'll re-enable it in the app.

DTS is decoded to 5.1 PCM.

The DD issue is not fixed on my 2nd gen FTV running Fire OS 5.0.2.2 from Oct 12.  The system does not find any updates available either.

@@z0mbi - if you're an Amazon Prime user, then go for the Fire TV, but if not, take a look at the Nexus Player.

I ended up going with the Nexus player. Imagine my surprise when I went to go plug the ethernet cable into it :angry:

• Like 1

CBers

I ended up going with the Nexus player. Imagine my surprise when I went to go plug the ethernet cable into it :angry:

LOL

You can get a USB to Ethernet adapter for it.

I have done that, as have other NP users here :)

LOL

You can get a USB to Ethernet adapter for it.

I have done that, as have other NP users here :)

You can but test it out first.  I've always run mine on wireless and don't have any issues with it.

I also noticed in Target the other day that they had these things for $49.  That's an incredible price for this box.

• Like 1

Been using it all afternoon. I'll post a thread with my thoughts rather than continue to clutter up this FireTV thread. Sorry about that, Amazon peeps!

rfischer1984

I have a weird issue where audio channels get mixed up on 5.1 surround sound. The sound that is suppose to come from the front speakers come from my rear speakers. Works fine on amazon and netflix. Plex does the same thing. I work with both trying to figure out which i like the most. I am liking emby the most so far. I am wondering if this is an issue with the new fire tv ? 

rfischer1984

No they use to work fine with my roku 3. I think it has something to do with the new fire tv. I am not sure if its something that needs to be looked at on your end, or a fix by amazon. I was wondering if it has something to do with PCM. I know naturally it shouldnt hurt but i think amazon and netflix plays audio with dd+ i think. I would have to be home to check it to make sure. It is very annoying and i like the fire tv but I may have to switch back if they cant get the surround sound issues fixed. I am hoping the latest aftv update fixes it.