Archive - Samsung Smart TV App - Public Alpha Test

chessdragon136

c0m3r

Quick mock up of how movies could look with the darker backdrop.

205s0v6.png

Edited by c0m3r
  • Like 1

CBers

Quick mock up of how movies could look with the darker backdrop.

205s0v6.png

Looks nice :)

You taking these from MBC ;)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

c0m3r

Taking elements from various clients. Think its important to stick to the media browser look whilst changing bits to make implementation easier.

• Like 1

chessdragon136

Just keep throwing different designs up and something will click good :D

c0m3r

Got a couple more ideas. Shall I carry on with the artwork taking precedence? Seems a popular choice.

• Like 1

Got a couple more ideas. Shall I carry on with the artwork taking precedence? Seems a popular choice.

Should functionality not take precedence over looks? I for one would rather have a fully functional application than a pretty one of which some of the functions are not working properly. I suppose a fully functional app will also get to the official app store sooner.

Should chessdragon136 not concentrate on functionality at this stage whilst others (like CBers and c0m3r) carry on with samples for "looks" that can be incorporated later?

In any case thank you for the excellent work you guys are doing - I really enjoy every new step in the development of this app and I am sure it is going to end up as one of the greatest MB clients.

CBers

@@Pine - I'm not involved in any design work, I'm just making suggestions and commenting on @@c0m3r's excellent work.

As I've stated previously, I'm happy with a synopsis of the item and playback to work as a minimum requirement.

At some point though, you want to make it all look prettier.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

c0m3r

Should functionality not take precedence over looks? I for one would rather have a fully functional application than a pretty one of which some of the functions are not working properly. I suppose a fully functional app will also get to the official app store sooner.

Should chessdragon136 not concentrate on functionality at this stage whilst others (like CBers and c0m3r) carry on with samples for "looks" that can be incorporated later?

In any case thank you for the excellent work you guys are doing - I really enjoy every new step in the development of this app and I am sure it is going to end up as one of the greatest MB clients.

I think you misunderstand what is happening here. Chessdragon still is working on functionality, that has always been the most important thing. However, due to current dedigns there is a problem with how that functionality is implemented on screen which is why chess has asked for help and suggestions of how the app could look to incorporate these new features, not simply to make it pretty as you say.

• Like 2

c0m3r

Just to add, there is no suggestion that any of these changes will be implemented any time soon however as i said, some are required to improve functionality.

chessdragon136

@@c0m3r designs with both graphics and not so graphics please - like mentioned having a fallback for users who don't have much artwork but make it still look good is my aim..As for having a show page im not taken on that, certainly not yet.

Had a quick play as i only have an hour after work to do stuff so may as well do design bits  during the week now @@Pine so I made this:

No real difference but i can make the menu background transparent and make the image background the entire screen - personally this helps massively as it reduces the jarring on the previous designs. So instead at looking at the lightly coloured grey i can now focus on the white text easier 

53d7f0da2b270_Capture.png

Edited by chessdragon136

c0m3r

Backdrop looks about right to me in terms of the brightness. I like the idea of a full screen backdrop but the top bar looks a little strange now. How about removing it all together and adding a drop down menu from the mediabrowser logo? The other apps seem to be implementing similar ideas?

• Like 1

CBers

@@c0m3r - you have to remember that navigation will be done via a TV remote, so a drop-down menu may not be the best option.

• Like 1

c0m3r

Shouldnt really be much different to how it works now though. You would simply press up on your remote to highlight the logo and press ok just like how you would you choose a menu item now. The drop down would then show and you press down and ok to select your item. Should be no more button presses and no more difficult than the current setup

c0m3r

It might even be possible to add a shortcut key such as red button to jump straight to the drop down. This woukd then free up even more space on screen for other things such as the title which has been difficult to place around artwork so far.

• Like 1

c0m3r

Also, with a drop down you remove the limitation that chess mentioned regarding space on the top bar for collection types i.e. Movies, tv series, music, collections, live tv etc. As more and more features are added to the server, the current design would struggle to add any more on the top bar.

• Like 1

Backdrop looks about right to me in terms of the brightness. I like the idea of a full screen backdrop but the top bar looks a little strange now. How about removing it all together and adding a drop down menu from the mediabrowser logo? The other apps seem to be implementing similar ideas?

I love the idea of a drop down menu - somehow just feels more natural (and in line with other apps) :)

• Like 1

c0m3r

Once I have finished the designs for the current layout, I will move on to look at mocking up some pics of a possible drop down. Should really be much different than the current look so shouldnt take long to draw up. As long as chessdragon is happy with the idea as it is he who would have to do all the work :)

Unfortunately, due to work I only get a small amount of time a night to work on these things and I am by no means an expert so takes some time to do. If anyone else has any ideas, feel free to edit the screens I have posted.

• Like 1

chessdragon136

It might even be possible to add a shortcut key such as red button to jump straight to the drop down. This woukd then free up even more space on screen for other things such as the title which has been difficult to place around artwork so far.

I have one issue with this - How would I display sub menu items in this drop down idea? Gets messy? The web view has the side bar but then still uses a top bar for these sub menu items. Other players seem to hide these views too much for my liking..

A drop down menu will also take up a lot of screen (menu is vertical and text is horizontal, so will stick out to like 1/3 the screen) 

Just to put it out there, why can i not hide the menu bar and have it show when called? Not sure how to work this yet tho... As for space the mb3 logo is most likely going and that gives the space i need. This would be relatively easily implemented too, though as always refinement is the hard part... 

chessdragon136

Ok I think I know what I'm going to do - I will need to re-work every GUI page I have though so will take some time! 

However, I will

• split away the submenu's but maintain the menu at the top
  • Remove the portrait option - portrait view will be the only view (makes it a lot easier for me and its by far better!)
  • Do some cool stuff
  • I need 1 month - no updates will be pushed out until this is complete.I am going to strip all my CSS code and essentially start from scratch!

Bye

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 6

c0m3r

Submenu would be difficult to implement i agree. I guess you could go for a hybrid of both ideas, have the drop down for the main things and a hidden submenu. My thinking is thst this would only need one hidden bar rather than two so less screen space required for it. The other possibility would be to integrate the settings page into the drop down menu then in its place have a view selector possibly through another dropdown. I know personally i find it a little annoying in the current format as when i want to just look at my movie collection i have to look at the second bar.

As for the drop down taking up alot of screen, im not sure this matters as you woild only bring it up when you intend to switch collections anyway.

chessdragon136

Ok I got bored so I made this (becoming my theme for the week):

Obviously need to re-work the top space but I like this (hiding the main menu) - Tools menu as always is on the tools button or up arrow if on a top item. 

53d936edb18d9_Capture.png

Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 1