EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

mediacowboy

It seems like the app starts playing where it knows to begin. Then connects to the server and starts over again from where the sheet sits to start. With both being the same position.

It seems like the app starts playing where it knows to begin. Then connects to the server and starts over again from where the sheet sits to start. With both being the same position.

Yes, I do indeed believe that is the issue. It will actually be an even bigger of a problem if you listen for a while when offline. If I'm not careful to upload position before downloading updates from server, it will forget all the progress you made while offline. I have been thinking of the way to solve this, but the "most right" way to do it, will require an extra request to the server (and also an update to server plugin). I'll think it through and decide on the best approach.

mediacowboy

Yes, I do indeed believe that is the issue. It will actually be an even bigger of a problem if you listen for a while when offline. If I'm not careful to upload position before downloading updates from server, it will forget all the progress you made while offline. I have been thinking of the way to solve this, but the "most right" way to do it, will require an extra request to the server (and also an update to server plugin). I'll think it through and decide on the best approach.

I'm no programmer but here's an idea. Before requesting last know postion from the server send postion from the app. Compare the two. If they are the same great. If not go with the longest play time and sync. In theory this would make it so no matter what you started from the longest listened position.

This is what I tried to explain on 12 September 2017 - 12:51 PM Page 9... Though is is a little irritating at times, what really annoys me is when the app crashes, and you have to remove the already downloaded files so that it doesn't crash again, it loses position within the chapter and starts the chapter from zero. If you have a book with 5min chapters, that's fine, but if chapters are 2 hours, it takes some scrolling to get back where you were

@Inrego: I just got the iOS app installed, but this one crashes the same way as the Android app did before you fixed the multiple server issue... This is on iOS 11, by the way...

Oh, no option to send crash reports

Edited by Dibbes

@Inrego: I just got the iOS app installed, but this one crashes the same way as the Android app did before you fixed the multiple server issue... This is on iOS 11, by the way...

I wasn't aware it was already on app store. But yes, that's because the whole process started with an old version. I have also uploaded newer version, and will try to get it up asap.

Jack Burton

Would it be difficult to add people under the summary? I went into the info and added people, the name, as actor, and role as narrator. Any chance to get that info to show up?

By the way. A version of iOS app that works with multi-server should be up now (and has been for a few days). I've fixed the problem on UWP (which actually was a crash across all platforms, but that the Windows app store found), so I have uploaded a new version for approval.

• Like 1

With the experience I've gotten written this app (as well as studying ebooks), I feel like I've learned a lot! I've thought about it, and decided to put this experience into making some pretty big changes behind-the-scenes in the app (more or less a complete rewrite). I know it's a bit early, but I think the results will be great, with fewer/bugs crashes, and a lot easier to maintain and extend.

I've also found a new metadata api (goodreads), which I will implement. From my tests so far, they have a better catalog of covers - and they have information about series and authors. Which will (one way or the other) make it possible to make some nice GUI efforts around series of books, and showing author pages. Some other features I can think of, is recommending missing books from a series, or recommending other books from same author (even if you don't have them yet). They also provide lists of similar books, which could be used for recommendations.

It doesn't seem like they have api limits, except for no more than 1 request per second. I cannot really enforce that when it's out on all of y'alls servers, but I think I will set the scheduled task to automatically run daily at a randomly generated time. That way, I don't think we'll be bombing their api server.

EDIT: Amazon might also be a possible metadata provider. But I'll need to check terms etc.

Edited by Inrego
  • Like 1

Hey guys

I've been in talks a bit with @@Luke about me implementing some improvements to Emby core. I will try as much as possible to focus these upgrades on AudioBook support, but he's also asked about some assistance with subtitles download. And since I've already developed a program for automating subtitles downloading on TV Shows (https://github.com/Inrego/addic2subs), I thought I might as well port it into Emby core. So yeah, that's what's up.

Also, Windows store app has been approved. But I forgot I had set it to be hidden on store (don't remember exactly why I did that). I've changed it to public now, but it seems like that requires it to go through approval again. However, it should still be available for install from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/da-dk/store/p/embook/9P3NNT1JMBF9

Edited by Inrego
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
mediacowboy

Found a bug or more a u handle condition that causes the app to want to send a report when it opens back up.

1) Open app

2) Start listing to a book

3) Close the app

4) Next launch you get prompted to send a report.

One thing I did notice with this is that the media control bar shows the app is still playing. So maybe when closing the app it isn't making the correct call to close everything.

Hope this helps and you continue to work and add to this app as I have truly enjoyed it for my drive to work. Listened to 3 books now.

@@Inrego,

Finally got me a phone with Android 7 on it :)

Bought and installed the app and it seems to be working Ok, with the following exceptions:

1. If I pause a book, using the Pause button in the interface and DO NOT CLOSE the app, the book will resume where I left off everytime. However, If I Close the app after pausing, when i restart the app and open the book again, the green Play/Resume button show the resume point for about 3 seconds and then reverts to Play. Pressing Play then restarts the book from the beginning (this is only relevant to the first book part, I haven't tested it with subsequent parts yet).
  2. I have installed the Server plugin as described, but the options do not appear in the Scheduled Task list. I'm running 3.2.33.13 beta
  3. Somewhere in this thread you have mentioned FF / FR buttons, I'm not seeing them - App Version 1.0.19.5 - Not available yet?
  4. As has been discussed before, If I select my eBook library and then select a book from that Library, I see a complete listing of all Emby Libraries (see pics)

Otherwise, great work :)

post-196-0-86388100-1508452752_thumb.png

post-196-0-51169500-1508452760_thumb.png

post-196-0-09083700-1508452769_thumb.png

post-196-0-53686300-1508452778_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
Dibbes

I just reinstalled my server this week and immediately started with server version 3.2.34.0 (now upgraded to .35). Unfortunately the plugin doesn't seem to register, as per point 2 by Jordy above.

What has changed, here?

I just reinstalled my server this week and immediately started with server version 3.2.34.0 (now upgraded to .35). Unfortunately the plugin doesn't seem to register, as per point 2 by Jordy above.

What has changed, here?

I just got back home from vacation last night, so I'm not sure yet. My best guess, it's probably Emby moving to .NET Core. It should be a simple update on my end.

However, I have quite a backlog at work, so it will probably be a few days before I can take a look

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

mediacowboy

First off hope your vacation was good. I been using the app today but it keeps crashing. I have sent a lot of logs. So hopefully you can see why and advise.

Dibbes

I just got back home from vacation last night, so I'm not sure yet. My best guess, it's probably Emby moving to .NET Core. It should be a simple update on my end.

However, I have quite a backlog at work, so it will probably be a few days before I can take a look

Are the few days over yet? :)

I'm travelling coming week and would like to be able to listen to my A-books...

Ah, I just learned about this nice addon, but noticed that the server plugin didn't show up in emby after install, but it actually is something wrong in the plugin at this point then.

I'm looking forward to trying this when it is fixed.

I've uploaded version 1.0.20.0 of server plugin to original post. NOTE: This version does not include grabbing of metadata! I am working on making an implementation for Emby core which will hopefully roll out soon.

EDIT: Had a look at the update @@Luke made for me regarding Audio Books. However, we're not quite there yet, so we will still need some workarounds in the server plugin. I will get at re-implementing it again soon.

Edited by Inrego
  • Like 3

mediacowboy

I've uploaded version 1.0.20.0 of server plugin to original post. NOTE: This version does not include grabbing of metadata! I am working on making an implementation for Emby core which will hopefully roll out soon.

EDIT: Had a look at the update @@Luke made for me regarding Audio Books. However, we're not quite there yet, so we will still need some workarounds in the server plugin. I will get at re-implementing it again soon.

Where can we follow your work going in into the core of emby?

Where can we follow your work going in into the core of emby?

There's not much at the moment. So far, it's only a pull request that was merged into Emby.Naming to handle the different file naming conventions used in audio book files.

I am talking with Luke about what's needed for audio books in emby core. I will then implement Metadata suppliers. I may possibly look into making changes by myself, and see if Luke will accept the pull request for it.

All changes I make on core, will go through GitHub, so if you want to look at it in detail, you can check my profile: https://github.com/Inrego

• Like 1

Hey @@Inrego, nice to see you back.

I have a problem seeing the server via EmBook. It was working a week or so ago but I was having problems with EmBook not playing or downloading the next file of the book I'm listening to. I uninstalled the app from my phone and re-installed it (latest version from the App Store). However, now the app cannot see the server at all. I have entered my credentials many times but all I get is the spinning circle and then a blank Server page. This is on both WiFi and 4g.

Win10 Pro (1703)

Android 7.0

Server: 3.2.36.7.beta

Emby Server App: 1.0.20.0

Android App: 1.0.19.5

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hey @@Inrego, nice to see you back.

I have a problem seeing the server via EmBook. It was working a week or so ago but I was having problems with EmBook not playing or downloading the next file of the book I'm listening to. I uninstalled the app from my phone and re-installed it (latest version from the App Store). However, now the app cannot see the server at all. I have entered my credentials many times but all I get is the spinning circle and then a blank Server page. This is on both WiFi and 4g.

Win10 Pro (1703)

Android 7.0

Server: 3.2.36.7.beta

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm having the same problem. Server plugin installed and visible on the server, but when opening android app i get a blank server page. When i log in, the server list is still blank.

Selecting 'on device', makes the app crash.

Version 3.2.36.7 beta on windows 10

• Like 1