EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

New version with offline support is now up on Play Store! Don't forget to update server plugin (updated in original post. Also, direct link here)

EDIT: Another update just pushed live. Now multiple servers are supported. Thanks to @@Jack Burton for providing me access to his server, so I could troubleshoot his crash problems in this regard.

Edited by Inrego
  • Like 1

EDIT: Another update just pushed live. Now multiple servers are supported. Thanks to @@Jack Burton for providing me access to his server, so I could troubleshoot his crash problems in this regard.

Still crashing with me. Don't think it's server related though as it crashes immediately upon selecting a server

Still crashing with me. Don't think it's server related though as it crashes immediately upon selecting a server

I only have crash report for version 1.0.14.x, which is the offline update. Try again when you get 1.0.15.x, which should solve multi-server issue.

• Like 1

Jack Burton

Sounds like exactly what was happening to me. @@Inrego took a look and I'm pretty confident next release will fix it, he's been doing a bang up job so far from what I see. Looking forward to joining in

Edit: Just updated, I'm in! Thanx to @@Inrego for putting in the time!

Edited by Jack Burton

<snap> he's been doing a bang up job so far from what I see. </snap>

I can only second this. I just updated too and it works!!! Cheers mate!

Now the Mrs is already jealously looking at me as she has an iPhoney only ;)

I can only second this. I just updated too and it works!!! Cheers mate!

Now the Mrs is already jealously looking at me as she has an iPhoney only ;)

Getting the iOS and Windows apps out are my next priority! :D

After that, a bar on the bottom that displays across all pages, that shows the currently playing book, as well as sleep timer.

Getting the iOS and Windows apps out are my next priority! :D

After that, a bar on the bottom that displays across all pages, that shows the currently playing book, as well as sleep timer.

Xmas is coming early this year ;)

Now if you could figure out a way to incorporate normal ebooks and comics as well, you get my "person of the year" vote for 2017 

What internet metadata providers does the server plugin provide?

Just Google books. In fact, most of that code is copied from the bookshelf plugin. I just changed it to save metadata on the folder instead, and added an option for manual override with isbn.txt

Also, it runs as a scheduled task instead as a proper metadata provider plugin, for 2 reasons:

1: class created for audio book metadata doesn't get called at all from server plugin. I posted a thread about the issue/bug, I'll link it here when I get on my pc.

2: in Emby, the individual files that make up the audio book, are the ones with the audio book type. I didn't want to save metadata for each file, but just the book. So that's why I save it on the folder instead. iirc, you don't get enough information about the item you're matching, to find the parent.

EDIT: Link to thread that mentions issue with IRemoteMetadataProvider<AudioBook, SongInfo>

Edited by Inrego

I've become aware of a bug in current version, where a newly cached book seems to start from 0:00. Will fix asap first thing tomorrow.

I've also found and fixed some menu problems on Windows and iOS. And once this resume bug is fixed, I am ready to submit to the other stores (iOS and Windows). However, the crash reporting tools are not yet implemented on the Windows client. For some reason, Microsoft (who made the crash report tools I use - HockeyApp) created a library that I can use in Android and iOS, but not Windows. They then have a seperate library with fewer features for Windows apps :D Anyway, the Windows version of it supports the stuff I need/will use, so it's not a problem except that I have to make a seperate implementation for Windows, whereas Android and iOS share the same.

Edited by Inrego

Been sending you a lot of crash reports this morning. It seems to crash after about 10min when the screen is off. I have given the right to keep running after screen off.

When I start the app again, it will only play the book for about 10 seconds until the place where it crashed before. I then need to remove the downloaded files. The app will re-download the files and continue playing.

(By the way, do you ever sleep?)

Been sending you a lot of crash reports this morning. It seems to crash after about 10min when the screen is off. I have given the right to keep running after screen off.

When I start the app again, it will only play the book for about 10 seconds until the place where it crashed before. I then need to remove the downloaded files. The app will re-download the files and continue playing.

I'm aware of this issue, and it seems to only happen if the device is lying still (doesn't happen when phone is in my pocket).

I'm a bit puzzled as to why it's happening, and I'm starting to suspect the framework that allows me to play audio files across all the platforms. I may need to rewrite that from scratch, since there are also problems on iOS (lock screen controls don't work at all).

Oh, and yeah.. At the moment I typically sleep around 6 am to 1 pm (just woke up) :D

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I've identified and fixed the cause of your crash.

I would like to fix that other issue I posted about before I push out a new update.

I've identified and fixed the cause of your crash.

I would like to fix that other issue I posted about before I push out a new update.

Woops. Forgot to hit send on an earlier post. Anyway, It looks like the 2 issues may have been related, so I pushed the new update shortly after.

Woops. Forgot to hit send on an earlier post. Anyway, It looks like the 2 issues may have been related, so I pushed the new update shortly after.

Sorry, had also forgotten to publish it.. It should be available soon. I am publishing it today (how forgetful I am today, huh)

Upload new version to iOS App Store, and recorded the video they wanted me to. Now awaiting approval.

I'm also almost done adding to Windows Store, although at the final step they say my account needs to be verified before I can submit. I'll ask them on chat tomorrow when they're open.

Damn, it is so much work to set up on these different stores! No shit, I think I've spent 10+ hours filling out forms, packaging etc to the different app stores. It's soo much more work than I thought.

I sent you a whole bunch of crash reports again. Seems that there are various issues that crash the app here. It seems to crash whenever network connectivity changes from Wifi to 4G or back to 3G, sometimes even when moving to another access point on the same LAN. Or if the phone switches to low power usage for Wifi/3G or 4G

What I notice though is that most of the time after about 15sec, it goes back to the last point the progress was saved and plays that bit again. If, after a crash, the MP3´s are deleted before playing, the app goes back to the beginning of the chapter.

Edited by Dibbes

Jack Burton

Got things working and was able to check out the app a little bit, and it looks great! Everything I could say would go into the "pros" column and I can honestly say I've got nothing for the "cons". There's a couple things I'd like personally, but nothing that would really affect my view of the app. @@Inrego, you killed it, well done.

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to have a thumb view instead of a list of audiobooks? I'm a big fan of artwork. Also, any chance to have a series landing page? I have books set up as author>title, but have bulked series as author>series>titles. It'd be great to have a synopsis available for the series as well. Again, well done.

Btw since I'm on the topic, how do you guys have your audiobooks organized? The way I have it right now works pretty well but I'm always open for suggestions on better systems

Btw since I'm on the topic, how do you guys have your audiobooks organized? The way I have it right now works pretty well but I'm always open for suggestions on better systems

I currently have my books: \\NAS\Audiobooks\<language>\<Author>\<Author - Title>\files.mp3

Jack Burton

I currently have my books: \\NAS\Audiobooks\<language>\<Author>\<Author - Title>\files.mp3

Cool I've been thinking about organizing by author folder

I sent you a whole bunch of crash reports again. Seems that there are various issues that crash the app here. It seems to crash whenever network connectivity changes from Wifi to 4G or back to 3G, sometimes even when moving to another access point on the same LAN. Or if the phone switches to low power usage for Wifi/3G or 4G

What I notice though is that most of the time after about 15sec, it goes back to the last point the progress was saved and plays that bit again. If, after a crash, the MP3´s are deleted before playing, the app goes back to the beginning of the chapter.

Sounds like you got some pretty shitty network conditions! But I guess that's good - in the sense that we'll for sure find all the places the app is weak towards that :D

Got things working and was able to check out the app a little bit, and it looks great! Everything I could say would go into the "pros" column and I can honestly say I've got nothing for the "cons". There's a couple things I'd like personally, but nothing that would really affect my view of the app. @@Inrego, you killed it, well done.

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to have a thumb view instead of a list of audiobooks? I'm a big fan of artwork. Also, any chance to have a series landing page? I have books set up as author>title, but have bulked series as author>series>titles. It'd be great to have a synopsis available for the series as well. Again, well done.

Regarding Artwork on books in browse. It's something I have thought about earlier, but there are some issues related to it. The only way I can tell if an item is an AudioBook or a folder, is either if we already have the book cached, or by making a request to the server to get the children of that book to see if they are of the type "AudioBook". Because that's how Emby handles it. The containing folder of an audiobook is still just a folder. So on a list view like that - I would need to make a server request for each item in the list in order to determine if it's an audiobook or a folder.

Besides, depending on how you organize your folders - there could be cases with both audiobooks and folders in the same folder, which means there'd have to be a mixed view with posters for books, and regular list items for folders.

As for showing information on series/authors, that's another (kind of related) problem: Again, I wouldn't know if a folder is a series/author folder or just a folder.

I organize my books into language\series\book\files

Edited by Inrego

Jack Burton

Regarding Artwork on books in browse. It's something I have thought about earlier, but there are some issues related to it. The only way I can tell if an item is an AudioBook or a folder, is either if we already have the book cached, or by making a request to the server to get the children of that book to see if they are of the type "AudioBook". Because that's how Emby handles it. The containing folder of an audiobook is still just a folder. So on a list view like that - I would need to make a server request for each item in the list in order to determine if it's an audiobook or a folder.

Besides, depending on how you organize your folders - there could be cases with both audiobooks and folders in the same folder, which means there'd have to be a mixed view with posters for books, and regular list items for folders.

As for showing information on series/authors, that's another (kind of related) problem: Again, I wouldn't know if a folder is a series/author folder or just a folder.

I organize my books into language\series\book\files

Interesting, ok that's no problem, obviously not a deal breaker. I'm really loving the clean up of files on the app side, looks really good. I'll be using the app in the next few days and will keep posted if I find any bugs. So far, I'm really impressed

Update: Actually - I have tags available in the list view. And since I am already tagging audio book folders, after metadata grab server-side, I should be able to quickly identify books.

Doing something similar for authors and series should be possible, if you manually add metadata and set a custom tag on it.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Idk if this is a bug or feature request but once you start a book leave the app and come back there is no way to seek.